Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, john1, mcquilkie and 258 guests

Post #501961  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:28 am 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We must have watched different games because I thought he was shite.

There’s little to no actual output with him. Play him up top because he’s a penalty box striker or not at all.

1) Martinelli does those things you mention and more pretty much every game which is why he's become one of our best players.

2) I thought Nketiah was very lively and he can now run at players which is a good thing, but I still dont feel confident he will score enough goals to be Arsenal's back up striker.

The truth is there’s little output. It’s visible energy but that’s it.

I feel bad for lambasting him but I just don’t see it.

Post #501962  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:37 am 

So what are the top priority positions to strengthen in January? Rank these 4 positions in priority order:
left-sided centre back, central midfielder, versatile winger, striker

Post #501963  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 am 

Rich wrote:
So what are the top priority positions to strengthen in January? Rank these 4 positions in priority order:

For me priority 1 would be an energetic winger who can play on both flanks

Post #501964  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:02 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

For me priority 1 would be an energetic winger who can play on both flanks

central mid, then striker.

Post #501965  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:31 am 

Rich wrote:

(1) Striker, (2) central midfielder, (3) versatile winger, (4) left sided central defender. I don’t see (4) as a priority at all.

Many if not countless outstanding central defence pairings have had players stronger with the same foot. We have a Saliba, Gabriel, White and Holding. That is easily enough, and good enough, whether or not Gabriel is the only left footed one.

Post #501966  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:39 am 

https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/sta ... n9egxCGXNA

Why cant we have this in the Premier League. Of course people will still disagree with referees decisions but this provides the clear communication and reasoning between the ref and the var ref over their review and decision making. Far better for the fans.

Post #501967  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

(1) Striker, (2) central midfielder, (3) versatile winger, (4) left sided central defender. I don’t see (4) as a priority at all.

Many if not countless outstanding central defence pairings have had players stronger with the same foot. We have a Saliba, Gabriel, White and Holding. That is easily enough, and good enough, whether or not Gabriel is the only left footed one.

Interesting, the first 3 responses to my question had 3 different priorities from 3 different fans

You went with Striker
Decaf went for a central mid
TG went for the versatile winger

Post #501968  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:25 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/1583043091287900160?s=20&t=kCVZwWP0Cs3in9egxCGXNA

Why cant we have this in the Premier League. Of course people will still disagree with referees decisions but this provides the clear communication and reasoning between the ref and the var ref over their review and decision making. Far better for the fans.

Bonus points to anyone who spots Newcastle Jets defender Carl Jenkinson.

Post #501969  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:53 am 

Xhaka 'deserves' renewed success at club - Arteta

https://www.espn.com.au/football/arsena ... lub-arteta

Post #501970  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

1) Martinelli does those things you mention and more pretty much every game which is why he's become one of our best players.

2) I thought Nketiah was very lively and he can now run at players which is a good thing, but I still dont feel confident he will score enough goals to be Arsenal's back up striker.

We give this young man a chance, I think. As with Xhaka, Arteta seems to see something there worth having?

Post #501971  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:25 pm 

Bernard is right. A striker should be a priority. If Jesus is injured or suspended we could be in a bit of bother.

Post #501972  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:26 pm 

https://twitter.com/iOkmm/status/158334 ... Bmrr38NeJg

This touch from Xhaka. You just don't even try this unless you're super confident and happy with your game.

Xhaka has been our player of the season so far for me, and he has healthy competition for that award. Playing his best football for us by a mile.

Post #501973  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:24 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We give this young man a chance, I think. As with Xhaka, Arteta seems to see something there worth having?

I think it’s more that we dont have the 50 to 70 million quid to sign a logical alternative.

Post #501974  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:25 pm 

It’s going to be Johnson isn’t it. Honestly we are beyond help.

A stupid island run by criminals enabled by thick people who are motivated by stupid imaginary social issues

Post #501975  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:34 pm 

Xhaka has certainly turned his reputation and his play around. A new role in the set up has done great things for him...and the club.

Saka needs to be rested. Can't disagree more with Arteta about how many games he can play.

Post #501976  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:14 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard is right. A striker should be a priority. If Jesus is injured or suspended we could be in a bit of bother.

I think an injury to Jesus would be difficult but Saka worst.

It’s weird he’s like our disrupter and if he isn’t around the team doesn’t look right. When we need something it nearly always comes from him.

Pay the kid whatever he wants quite frankly.

Post #501977  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

A stupid island run by criminals enabled by thick people who are motivated by stupid imaginary social issues

I reckon you'll muddle through.

Post #501978  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Although you are second best to the Italians again .. in football and in the art of having utterly chaotic politics and yet somehow being fine.

Post #501979  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
Nketiah divides opinion but I thought he was excellent last night, his ablity to take the ball in tight spaces and dribble with pace were outstanding, he almost seems to glide across the ground. He just needs to add more of an end product to some of his work.

If Martinelli had done some of the things he did last night fans would be drooling.

Nketiah has a knack for finding space to receive the ball and also where to be in the box for the ball to fall to him even if its rebounded. He needs finishing. A few shots should have been on target, especially since he is an attacker. But I've heard the game is a way faster, more aggressive pace and takes some time to get used to.

That said, he's talented for sure. Needs to fine tune a few things but can be good.

Post #501980  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Although you are second best to the Italians again .. in football and in the art of having utterly chaotic politics and yet somehow being fine.

Not sure about being fine

Ask me in a year, my pensions have lost tens of thousands of pounds, my mortgage will go up significantly (thank god I fixed) and so on

Post #501981  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Ask me in a year, my pensions have lost tens of thousands of pounds, my mortgage will go up significantly (thank god I fixed) and so on

Hopefully the markets and pound will bounce back. But I suspect there are limits and the Tories are really testing those.

Post #501982  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:40 pm 

Gabriel has signed a new long term contract with us, apparently until 2027

Post #501983  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I think it’s more that we dont have the 50 to 70 million quid to sign a logical alternative.
It may be that the abortive pursuit of Vlahovic left management with a young gun as the option. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we have big money in reserve if the right man becomes available in January. In the meantime give Eddie his chance to develop as a first team squad man. I don't know the stats but how many first team starts has he made? It doesn't feel like many?

Post #501984  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hopefully the markets and pound will bounce back. But I suspect there are limits and the Tories are really testing those.

And if not it will be great for tourism and British exports if we can buy un mille pounds for a rand

Post #501985  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:19 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It may be that the abortive pursuit of Vlahovic left management with a young gun as the option. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we have big money in reserve if the right man becomes available in January. In the meantime give Eddie his chance to develop as a first team squad man. I don't know the stats but how many first team starts has he made? It doesn't feel like many?

I agree. The policy of waiting for the right player is very sound, and relying on Eddie as a backup is a bit of risk, but not mad at all.

Post #501986  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Not sure about being fine. Ask me in a year, my pensions have lost tens of thousands of pounds, my mortgage will go up significantly (thank god I fixed) and so on
A sadly common story. Nice to know Truss has the option of refusing £115k annual payment for 45 days destructive work! I wonder if Johnson took it?

Post #501987  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:46 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Decaf wrote:

And if not it will be great for tourism and British exports if we can buy un mille pounds for a rand

Yeah Decaf, all very well for tourists, very welcome as they will be, to come over here and live high on the hog - BUT - “British exports” are becoming less and less relevant as British companies will increasingly be bought up by foreign investors taking advantage of the low pound. Any export bonus would generate dividends that are paid in America and China. They own most of our utilities already. Ironically, there’s plenty of European money looking for opportunities here, particularly now that we’ve just put yet another bullet into our national foot.

So much for creating our very own off-shore powerhouse, eh? No surprise to most of the world that our economy hasn’t grown in recent years. Read the foreign views on our current banana republic chaos. They all see it quite clearly.

We were lied to. And now the Liar-in-Chief is back in the frame.

God help us.

Post #501988  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:07 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Yeah Decaf, all very well for tourists to come over here and live high on the hog - BUT - “British exports” are becoming less and less relevant as British companies will increasingly be bought up by foreign investors taking advantage of the low pound. Any export bonus would generate dividends that are paid in America and China. They own most of our utilities already. Ironically, there’s plenty of European money looking for opportunities here, particularly now that we’ve just put yet another bullet into our national foot.

So much for creating our very own off-shore powerhouse, eh? No surprise to most of the world that our economy hasn’t grown in recent years. Read the foreign views on our current banana republic chaos. They all see it quite clearly.

We were lied to. And now the Liar-in-Chief is back in the frame.

God help us.

My dad lost his pension in Ziim ... luckily not his only wealth. I wouldn't wish that on any country. Destroying one's middle class is not a good move.

Post #501989  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:16 pm 

Coincidentally, I was reading about Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of Rolex. I didn't realise Rolex was initially a British company, until the patented British economic policy of shooting oneself in the foot induced them to relocate to Switzerland after WWI.

Post #501990  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:22 pm 

DHD wrote:
And now the Liar-in-Chief is back in the frame. God help us.
Yes, and some people wonder why there is so much cynicism about politicians! Only three or four months ago he was forced to resign by his own Parliamentary party for his obvious unsuitabilty as a Prime Minister, yet now some of them want him back. If that happens the people must take to the streets to call for a General Election.

Post #501991  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I think an injury to Jesus would be difficult but Saka worst.

It’s weird he’s like our disrupter and if he isn’t around the team doesn’t look right. When we need something it nearly always comes from him.

Pay the kid whatever he wants quite frankly.

Mustn’t forget Smith Rowe is expected to be back in the new year, with much of the time until then taken up by the World Cup. In Saka, Martinelli and Smith Rowe we have three quality wide players. Marquinhos had a very promising debut and I’m still hopeful that he can be very useful.

Of course Saka would be a huge loss, but even without him Martinelli and Smith Rowe would offer very strong width to the team.

Post #501992  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:37 pm 

:58big-emoticons:
Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Do you think it could get worse for the tories. Rock bottom is a fair way down .

One of the things I've learned living in this part of the world: things can always get worse! The flipside of that is 'where there's life there's hope'.

Bit like supporting Arsenal.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #501993  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:51 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Coincidentally, I was reading about Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of Rolex. I didn't realise Rolex was initially a British company, until the patented British economic policy of shooting oneself in the foot induced them to relocate to Switzerland after WWI.

Yes I knew this. I find horology quite interesting. The idea of having this thing on your wrist created that doesn’t require power or battery built by man is really interesting on an engineering level to me

Don’t wear your Daytona or submariner in London though. Someone will try and stick a knife in your head for it.

Post #501994  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:46 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Ally McCoist advised him at the time he was thinking of taking the Villa job. If Gerrard wanted the Liverpool job post-Klopp, which he obviously did, he should have stayed at Rangers. He was doing a brilliant job there and had halted Celtic’s domination.

His next role should be at Everton, that would be something :42laughter:

Wolves.... :8surprise:

Post #501995  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
I thought Saka was amazing last night. His dribbling skills, balance and increasing physical strength are a sight to behold.

Ok, so the calibre of the opposition was not the very highest quality but he looked almost Messi-like at times.

Nah. More like Ronaldo without the attitude.
:angel9:

Post #501996  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:01 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I fully agree OMOH. Indeed, the attempt to buy Vlahovic strongly suggests we do have the sort of money Top Gun mentions. I suspect it’s more a case of not finding anyone because Vlahovic wanted to join Juventus. Does anyone know how he’s doing at Juventus? I saw a few reports that he started well but that was some while ago.

I’ll try and remember to look up the number of games Nketiah has started tomorrow.

Post #501997  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:02 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Yes I knew this. I find horology quite interesting. The idea of having this thing on your wrist created that doesn’t require power or battery built by man is really interesting on an engineering level to me

Don’t wear your Daytona or submariner in London though. Someone will try and stick a knife in your head for it.

Agreed. I wish I could afford one. Rolex's marketing has always way ahead of its time too. Their first 'brand ambassador' was the rather amazing Mercedes Gleitze.

Post #501998  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:29 am 

Antonio Conte on Tottenham plans: "I've great respect for the club and what the club wants to try to do but at the same time I know our possibilities are different to the monsters that are in England".

"You need to have time, don’t make mistakes in the transfer market"

Paving the way for his exit….

Post #501999  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I fully agree OMOH. Indeed, the attempt to buy Vlahovic strongly suggests we do have the sort of money Top Gun mentions. I suspect it’s more a case of not finding anyone because Vlahovic wanted to join Juventus. Does anyone know how he’s doing at Juventus? I saw a few reports that he started well but that was some while ago.

Joint top score in Serie A. But I think we got the better player in Jesus, at least in terms of current ability.

Post #502000  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
In the meantime give Eddie his chance to develop as a first team squad man. I don't know the stats but how many first team starts has he made? It doesn't feel like many?

I’ll try and remember to look up the number of games Nketiah has started tomorrow.

Morning OMOH. It’s very easy to look up as the match day programmes now give not only players’ appearances (starts and as a sub) for the current season, but the figures for their entire Arsenal career.

The PSV programme said Nketiah had made 42 starts and 62 sub appearances for Arsenal, scoring 25 goals (no breakdown is given for goals scored as a starter or sub).

Now he started the PSV game and didn’t score. So his details are now 43 starts, 62 sub appearances and 25 goals. Hence Nketish has played 105 games, of which 41% he started and 59% came on as a sub. So far he’s scored a goal every 4.2 games. Can’t calculate the goals per minutes (when or if he came off as a starter and came on as a sub), simply because I don’t have that data.

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12547, 12548, 12549, 12550, 12551, 12552, 12553 ... 13006  Next