Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, mcquilkie and 308 guests

Post #472201  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:39 am 

Hire a bit of interest from Prem clubs for Balogun. We have to push this fee super super high.
Prem clubs spend obscene amounts on players. We need to be quoting them £60m for him. Clearly we won’t get £60m but why quite teams what you would be willing to take. Quote higher, makes them start higher and we find a place we like.

Teams will pay big money for a striker, if Balogun turns in to anything close to a 20 goal a season striker for any midtable prem team they’ll be well safe from relegation (a genuine initial target for all but the top 7-8 teams) and be pushing top 8 and probably have an asset they could double their money on pretty soon.

Post #472202  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:31 am 

I was fairly confident we'd get Rice in March. Now I'm in doubt. I'm in Soc's camp with regards to it now. I'd love it though, I think he'd be transformative for our midfield. He'd do us more good than City. I am on board with the Havertz project. I can see how he could be a different player with us.

We'll have to see about Rice, I'm not gonna be watching the sports news about it. Not worth the emotional commitment and stress.

Post #472203  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:33 am 

Man Utd doing what we did and changing their badge as we did with only the cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/utWtQ2mZ1bg

Post #472204  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:50 am 

105 million bid for Rice. I'm beginning to wonder is he worth it.

Post #472205  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:17 am 

There’s no doubt at all that West Ham have a great offer. Bellingham was sold for 12 million less than we are offering for Rice and whilst there’s more add ons I’d suggest West Ham have got a far better deal than Dortmund.

… and still the bid hasn’t been accepted :laughing7:

I understand them wanting the best deal but lads surely a bit of pragmatism invoked here. The lad wants to stay near his family and play for Arsenal. Just feels another example of the lack of standards and class in football

Post #472206  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:32 am 

Gunfire wrote:

We pay that much and he needs to live up to the price tag. As I said in a previous post I haven’t seen him play that often but when he has he has not impressed to such an extent as to suggest he is worth 100million but Arteta must rate him. I know one thing we should never sell a player to Westham ever again without them doubling what he is actually worth.

If they fail to accept our offer by COB today (your time) call it.

Post #472207  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:28 am 

City have pulled out of the race !

Their official statement “*%^@ that for a game of soldiers”

Post #472208  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

We pay that much and he needs to live up to the price tag. As I said in a previous post I haven’t seen him play that often but when he has he has not impressed to such an extent as to suggest he is worth 100million but Arteta must rate him. I know one thing we should never sell a player to Westham ever again without them doubling what he is actually worth.

Hi Gaz,

Like many comments on here, I agree the money's mad.

As regards the player, a better team around him will make him better than his WH performances I reckon. He had to do a lot of extra covering, running etc. there, where here he'll be used more intelligently and creatively I hope!

Post #472209  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

So WH will have to cave on the instalments issue then I guess.

Post #472210  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:38 am 

john1 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hi Gaz,

As regards the player, a better team around him will make him than his WH performances I reckon. He had to do a lot of extra covering etc., there, where here he'll be used more intelligently and creatively I hope!

I hope so. I personally think it’s almost impossible to have basically one defensive midfielder who has to hold and be creative at times. Man City are examples where their back four do not do the Zinchenko thing now. One defensive midfielder still usually gives them 5 defenders. I worry Rice may not be up to what Arteta wants. Still this situation of waiting can’t continue. We need to call it and look for someone else. Mind you it’s easy for me to say as my jobs not on the line.

Post #472211  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Where did you learn that?

Post #472212  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:46 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi Gaz,

As regards the player, a better team around him will make him than his WH performances I reckon. He had to do a lot of extra covering etc., there, where here he'll be used more intelligently and creatively I hope!

I hope so. I personally think it’s almost impossible to have basically one defensive midfielder who has to hold and be creative at times. Man City are examples where their back four do not do the Zinchenko thing now. One defensive midfielder still usually gives them 5 defenders. I worry Rice may not be up to what Arteta wants. Still this situation of waiting can’t continue. We need to call it and look for someone else. Mind you it’s easy for me to say as my jobs not on the line.

I try to ignore the money side of things now, as it only gets me wound up. I am very optimistic that Rice will improve us; I think he is more what we need than Partey is, maybe not so technical yet, but certainly more dynamic from what I've seen. Not sure he'd have tried that arrogant overhead back flick from Partey that I think was a pivotal moment in the season either.

Post #472213  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Are you locked in Joseph Fritzls basement or something mate :laughing7:

Post #472214  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I shouldn't lol, but I did.

Post #472215  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Gooner7 here borrowing Ash’s SATphone: Yes, he said can you tell David Sullivan to stop being such a monster.

Post #472216  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

No, he kept me in the upper floors with no wifi :42laughter:

Post #472217  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:12 pm 

Well we’ll well. I wasn’t expecting that. Great but f&Kin expensive news…

Post #472218  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:31 pm 

Something that seems small like exchanging Xhaka for Rice, I think is transformative to the team. I love Xhaka's commitment and leadership and he turned thing around but its a mouthwatering proposition to have a Ødegaard Rice and take your pick of Partey or Caecido. No holes there and Rice is a much better scorer and attacker than Xhaka. The front line is great. Add in Havertz as a starter or option and its a continuation of last season but upgraded another gear.

Post #472219  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:22 pm 

According to this Sullivan's camp have rejected 3rd bid.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/ ... -sullivan/

Post #472220  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:19 pm 

Zed wrote:
According to this Sullivan's camp have rejected 3rd bid.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/ ... -sullivan/

That would be a bit silly given we have highest bid in a one horse transfer race

Post #472221  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:00 pm 

Fans of other clubs admire the work Edu has done at Arsenal probably more than our own fans. This is probably down to failed big bids but slightly forgetting the pivot transfers that worked out well. Also because he hasn’t necessarily sold big yet, but I’m not sure he’s had the player to be able to sell big.
Part of the reason we can spend big is because our annual wage bill is about £100m less than 4 of the other big 6 clubs. Between him and Arteta we’ve got rid of the high earners and low performers, we’ve protected key assets and build in club extension options to most players.

We now have players queuing up to join us and turning down Bayern and Man City in the process.

As fans we’ll always find something to grumble about but if your biggest gripe is feeling that we’ve slightly overpaid to get one of the most talented young English players in the league who would walk in to all but maybe 2-3 teams in Europe then we’re not doing too badly

Post #472222  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:10 pm 

Few journalists are reporting Rice is broadly done now, few minor details but it won’t stop the transfer happening.

Havertz is done, interview and video have been leaked. Rice to follow. Timber very close. £200m before July….it feels like a long time since we scrambled around for Čech as our only summer signing

Post #472223  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:17 pm 

If we get Rice, and it’s started already there will be queues of rival fans telling us he’s over priced and overrated.

Real football fans can put aside the rivalry and see the good work we’re doing. It’s fine to admit it and still cheer for your team.

When Klopp took over Liverpool he and the sporting directors did a tremendous job, united the fans, played a nee high tempo style, and made some incredible signings for great money and added some high quality,high price players to finish it.

You can go back and with hindsight really appreciate what Poch built at Spurs for those few years, I know they won nothing but it was a very good team he built.

Man City as well, they’ve spent money of course and cheated of course but they’ve still bought well and have established under pep an identity and style that is so consistently good

We’re next

Post #472224  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:21 pm 

Havertz is officially an Arsenal player now

Post #472225  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:57 pm 

Also if we do get Havertz, Rice, Timber for £200m I can already see rival fans saying we MUST win the league. Except countless teams have spent £200m and not won the league or even been expected to win the league.
Spurs spent £177 last year and it’s gone I noticed but they’ve already shelled out £140m THIS summer (new gk, Maddison, and made loan deals for Kulesevski and Porro permanent)….and that’s before we
Mention the £600m Chelsea spent and Man U have spent over £200m in 3 of the past 6 seasons!

They will also forget to add wages to those yearly spends, our wages are £100m less approximately than city, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpools wages.

Post #472226  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:45 am 

Assuming we get Timber along with Rice and Havertz, and that's it. What does our best XI look like and more importantly how do you think we'll do in the league? Challenge for the tile again? top 4 only? Obviously, other clubs are buying and strengthening so its a bit murky but still....?

Post #472227  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:00 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Assuming we get Timber along with Rice and Havertz, and that's it. What does our best XI look like and more importantly how do you think we'll do in the league? Challenge for the tile again? top 4 only? Obviously, other clubs are buying and strengthening so its a bit murky but still....?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 24935/amp/

Post #472228  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:59 am 

Well, hats off to the club if they make this Declan Rice deal happen. I must admit I didn't seem them going as high as £100m + add-ons and fully expected us to be gazumped at some point.

It's a massive statement of intent.

Post #472229  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:01 am 

Because the focus has all been on the Declan Rice deal the Kai Havertz deal has gone under the radar a bit. We've spent £65m on a player who in his pre-Chelsea days was one of the most sought after youngsters in Europe.

It's not a signing anyone would have predicted and I am very excited and curious to see what plans Arteta has for him.

Post #472230  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:05 am 

Rich wrote:
Few journalists are reporting Rice is broadly done now, few minor details but it won’t stop the transfer happening.

Havertz is done, interview and video have been leaked. Rice to follow. Timber very close. £200m before July….it feels like a long time since we scrambled around for Čech as our only summer signing

Amazing really Rich.

I wonder if that's it or there's more to come.

You would think a couple of major sells would be required if we are actively looking at bringing in other players.

Post #472231  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:05 am 

Something of a British core to our team and squad now right? you will essentially have 4 England internationals in the first 11 probably with a large contingent in the squad being British with the likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Nelson etc

Post #472232  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:09 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Amazing really Rich.

You would think a couple of major sells would be required if we are actively looking at bringing in other players.

I think after Timber and Rice are wrapped up we will see a major sale occur with many departures

Xhaka, Partey (unfortunately but I’d keep him) , Pépé, KT , Holding, Tavares , Balogun, Patino

Could claw back 100 odd million from that lot.

Post #472233  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Something of a British core to our team and squad now right? you will essentially have 4 England internationals in the first 11 probably with a large contingent in the squad being British with the likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Nelson etc

Are you thinking White starts ahead of Timber, if he comes in? Maybe initially.

Post #472234  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Amazing really Rich.

I think after Timber and Rice are wrapped up we will see a major sale occur with many departures

Xhaka, Partey (unfortunately but I’d keep him) , Pépé, KT , Holding, Tavares , Balogun, Patino

Not sure about £200m.

Xhaka £13m, Partey £20m, Pépé probably £10m if we are lucky given his wages, KT £30m, Holding £10m, Tavares £10m, Balogun £35m, Patino £1m.

Just going by the figures I've seen quoted.

Post #472235  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:16 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Are you thinking White starts ahead of Timber, if he comes in? Maybe initially.

Not sure how good the new guy is really but I think we always look very solid with white at right back. Would have to be some player to bench him. Might be a bit premature to assume the new bloke has signed to play in that position as he played every single game this year for Ajax at centre half.

Post #472236  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:19 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure about £200m.

Xhaka £13m, Partey £20m, Pépé probably £10m if we are lucky given his wages, KT £30m, Holding £10m, Tavares £10m, Balogun £35m, Patino £1m.

Sorry typo I corrected although selling partey for 20 Million would be pointless I reckon as you can’t replace his quality for anywhere near that price. Would and could only be related to off field issues if that happens surely. Just wouldn’t make sense

Post #472237  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
selling partey for 20 Million would be pointless I reckon as you can’t replace his quality for anywhere near that price. Would and could only be related to off field issues if that happens surely. Just wouldn’t make sense

I agree.

Post #472238  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not sure about £200m.

Sorry typo I corrected although selling partey for 20 Million would be pointless I reckon as you can’t replace his quality for anywhere near that price. Would and could only be related to off field issues if that happens surely. Just wouldn’t make sense

I agree, £20m for Partey is peanuts. Not worth selling at that price. Should be £40-50m at least.

Balogun should be £45m+ as well.

Post #472239  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:40 am 

socrates wrote:
Because the focus has all been on the Declan Rice deal the Kai Havertz deal has gone under the radar a bit. We've spent £65m on a player who in his pre-Chelsea days was one of the most sought after youngsters in Europe.

It's not a signing anyone would have predicted and I am very excited and curious to see what plans Arteta has for him.

I am hoping he is the Bergkamph of this generation. An unhappy stay at a club and then a move to us and becoming a legend. I think if he can rebound from Chelsea it could go very well. I hope mentally he has the strength to start again and regain his earlier form.

Post #472240  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Fans of other clubs admire the work Edu has done at Arsenal probably more than our own fans. This is probably down to failed big bids but slightly forgetting the pivot transfers that worked out well. Also because he hasn’t necessarily sold big yet, but I’m not sure he’s had the player to be able to sell big.
Part of the reason we can spend big is because our annual wage bill is about £100m less than 4 of the other big 6 clubs. Between him and Arteta we’ve got rid of the high earners and low performers, we’ve protected key assets and build in club extension options to most players.

We now have players queuing up to join us and turning down Bayern and Man City in the process.

As fans we’ll always find something to grumble about but if your biggest gripe is feeling that we’ve slightly overpaid to get one of the most talented young English players in the league who would walk in to all but maybe 2-3 teams in Europe then we’re not doing too badly

You are absolutely right. One can get lost in the details, but taking a step back, the intent and focus on display in the Arteta/Edu period is very arresting.

This feels huge.

[ 481528 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808, 11809 ... 12039  Next