Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 115 guests

Post #489001  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
It doesn't .... the 8 million ... he wouldn't have been on that to start with ; he was compensated for his early triumphs but money wouldn't have been the main driver .

For him it would have been the power , passion for football at a big club , the status .

He isn't bitching and whining about his suffering just stating a fact perhaps he stayed too long in light of the way things turned out .

I'm not defending him , what happened was all his own doing ; too stubborn , too dumb , pin any label you want to it BUT what I am saying , given the type of guy he was , no amount of money would have insulated him from the stress .

Tu entiendes

.......That's sorted the little psuedo Chilean alpaca herder .

Wenger repeatedly refers to his tenure at Arsenal with a tone that suggests a tremendous sacrifice he made for love of the club: how he leaved and breathed it, how he turned down other offers, how ungrateful all the know-nothings without his years of coaching were, he was almost incredulous that anybody could question his right to decide everything including the time of his own departure. The sub-text of his latest bleating is precisely that: he stayed too long for our own good and at the expense of his own well-being out of sheer desire to make us successful. Humble-bragging - my fault you ask me? Perhaps it was caring too much. It is not, therefore, unreasonable to draw attention to the the massive pay cheques he was receiving and which - much as he might want to downplay it - were presumably a reasonable level of consideration for the terrible burden he carried on his shoulders.

Very well put, it also is worth mentioning that the burden on his shoulders was due to him sticking two fingers up at everybody else and saying “I’m not changing anything your wrong”

Having 40 million quid in your bank account doesn’t bring all massive happiness (whilst it would for me) but it does make it a little easier no?

Post #489002  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 pm 

AW, just leave it. You just drew attention back to yourself. You wanted sympathy but I don't think you will be getting much. Definitely none from me. Good riddance.

Post #489003  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
On YouTube a couple of stories that we beat Crawley Town 9-0 in a friendly at the training ground and the following day we lost 2-1 to Brentford. Suggests a lot of players got a run. Also states that Leno error led to the winner for Brentford. Sorry I can’t give the link because I don’t know how to give the link to a YouTube video on my iPhone.

Copy and paste the address bar, simples really.

Post #489004  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Liverpool sign the Gk Becker for £67m. An insane amount for a gk. Liverpool have jumped to sugar daddy levels of spending.

One thing I do admire is that if they make a mistake or they see an opportunity to improve they go for it. For far too long under wenger, mistakes were made and then made worse by stubbornly sticking with the mistake in some forlorn hope the player would come good

Hi Rich,

Cloughie always said that the two most important positions on the pitch are the CF and the goalkeeper.

Liverpool's defence and keepers have been their achilles heel for years and it's been undermining their efforts to challenge. They have partially addressed that with the signing of Van Dijk and if Becker is as good as they say then they will have gone a long way in addressing those defensive issues. I say "if" because we seen keepers with big reputations fail in the PL before.

My concern with Leno is thate was available for a fairly good price and Klopp must know him well and yet he passed on him. Personally, I'd have liked us to sign Butland. Not the finished article but has a presence about him.

Cloughie was right. World class keepers are priceless. If Allison is as good as the likes of Courtois and Neuer 67 million looks a bargain. It's the sort of business we need to be conducting.

Post #489005  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:43 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
AW, just leave it. You just drew attention back to yourself. You wanted sympathy but I don't think you will be getting much. Definitely none from me. Good riddance.

Quite right. Dignified silence is what we need from Wenger right now.

Post #489006  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:

*narrator*

it does.

It doesn't .... the 8 million ... he wouldn't have been on that to start with ; he was compensated for his early triumphs but money wouldn't have been the main driver .

For him it would have been the power , passion for football at a big club , the status .

He isn't bitching and whining about his suffering just stating a fact perhaps he stayed too long in light of the way things turned out .

I'm not defending him , what happened was all his own doing ; too stubborn , too dumb , pin any label you want to it BUT what I am saying , given the type of guy he was , no amount of money would have insulated him from the stress .

Tu entiendes

Peter ... yes of course he still feels pain and some regret for years spend in a failing project.

Even if it wasn't 8 million most people wouldn't want to hear it.

BUT, 8 million does make a major difference.

8 million

a) would surely dull the pain (compared someone who lost their job and had zero money) and
b) means he get zero sympathy ... nada .... dololo, from most people (including myself). In fact the reverse. I actively do not want to hear about the woes of the very rich, such as the Trump offspring and spouse, the royals, Elon Musk, etc.

Post #489007  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Quite right. Dignified silence is what we need from Wenger right now.

He's making himself look cheap, even to those ignoring his remuneration.

Post #489008  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:50 pm 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Cloughie always said that the two most important positions on the pitch are the CF and the goalkeeper.

Liverpool's defence and keepers have been their achilles heel for years and it's been undermining their efforts to challenge. They have partially addressed that with the signing of Van Dijk and if Becker is as good as they say then they will have gone a long way in addressing those defensive issues. I say "if" because we seen keepers with big reputations fail in the PL before.

My concern with Leno is thate was available for a fairly good price and Klopp must know him well and yet he passed on him. Personally, I'd have liked us to sign Butland. Not the finished article but has a presence about him.

Cloughie was right. World class keepers are priceless. If Allison is as good as the likes of Courtois and Neuer 67 million looks a bargain. It's the sort of business we need to be conducting.

I understand everything said above but I’d be interested to see some analysis of someone like de Gea last season. Based on his points won vs strikers. It’s dofficult to measure but the expected goals stat can help.
Gk’s can save points and win matches but top strikers earn more points I reckon. Maybe it’s just more measurable with strikers.

Post #489009  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:51 pm 

Gazidis to Ac Milan rumours growing.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/a ... ardo-86601

Wenger potentially being lined up for Gazidis job.

Post #489010  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Of course, we do, in fact, have a new keeper, and if Leno is as good as Alisson and/or Courtois and Neuer, it is exactly the sort of business we actually have been conducting. Given that Alisson was Szczesny's back-up at Roma, 67 million may or may not be a bargain.

Post #489011  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm 

I agree with Socrates. Butland would have been a great buy. He's a very talented keeper. If things worked out well, he could be our keeper for the next decade.

Post #489012  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I understand everything said above but I’d be interested to see some analysis of someone like de Gea last season. Based on his points won vs strikers. It’s dofficult to measure but the expected goals stat can help.
Gk’s can save points and win matches but top strikers earn more points I reckon. Maybe it’s just more measurable with strikers.

Strikers cost the most money for a reason. Scoring goals is the most valuable thing a player can do.

Post #489013  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gazidis to Ac Milan rumours growing.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/a ... ardo-86601

Wenger potentially being lined up for Gazidis job.

If anything I'd say that article makes a Gazidis move to Milan sound less likely. I presume your last sentence is a joke.

Post #489014  Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 pm 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Tu entiendes

Wenger repeatedly refers to his tenure at Arsenal with a tone that suggests a tremendous sacrifice he made for love of the club: how he leaved and breathed it, how he turned down other offers, how ungrateful all the know-nothings without his years of coaching were, he was almost incredulous that anybody could question his right to decide everything including the time of his own departure. The sub-text of his latest bleating is precisely that: he stayed too long for our own good and at the expense of his own well-being out of sheer desire to make us successful. Humble-bragging - my fault you ask me? Perhaps it was caring too much. It is not, therefore, unreasonable to draw attention to the the massive pay cheques he was receiving and which - much as he might want to downplay it - were presumably a reasonable level of consideration for the terrible burden he carried on his shoulders.

Anyway he may be *%^@*** off back to Japan where he can take a great interest in their culture and eat sushi like it's a novelty he discovered and make like he's a Professor again, the old fraud.

That;'s sorted out the little hobbit-bothering, wheelbarrow-welding, Illuminati-fearing, exile from the Museum.

Shucks ... think I'll wave the white flag on this one Cobber.

Never have I been subjected to such a verbal tongue lashing .... making the planters , welding things ...hobbies I've enjoyed down the years will never seem the same again .

I timorously point out in light of your obsession with punctuation correctness .... you've written "leaved' instead of lived and somehow managed to sandwich in a semi colon in that's starting the last sentence

Post #489015  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:13 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Tu entiendes

Peter ... yes of course he still feels pain and some regret for years spend in a failing project.

Even if it wasn't 8 million most people wouldn't want to hear it.

BUT, 8 million does make a major difference.

8 million

a) would surely dull the pain (compared someone who lost their job and had zero money) and
b) means he get zero sympathy ... nada .... dololo, from most people (including myself). In fact the reverse. I actively do not want to hear about the woes of the very rich, such as the Trump offspring and spouse, the royals, Elon Musk, etc.

What I'm saying Decaf ... the 8 million wouldn't come into the equation while in the Arsenal job .

Sure as you say it dulls the pain versus being penniless BUT Arsene isn't the type who can get his rocks off making a planters wheelbarrow , designing and welding racks for his son's truck , getting stuck into a bottle of rum with a couple of mates ... he is a simpering pansy who LIVES and breathes football .

Some reporter coming around to ask any sort of question would make his week .

The point I'm making is money wouldn't matter one iota to him because right now he'd feel an unloved directionless tw*t .

"No sympathy " ... I felt sorry for him only because he was too stupid to ask for advice ...

but " Hey not everyone's perfect although Mrs Kiwi thinks I'm pretty damn close" .

Post #489016  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
On YouTube a couple of stories that we beat Crawley Town 9-0 in a friendly at the training ground and the following day we lost 2-1 to Brentford. Suggests a lot of players got a run. Also states that Leno error led to the winner for Brentford. Sorry I can’t give the link because I don’t know how to give the link to a YouTube video on my iPhone.

There is no address bar but try this
https://youtu.be/l79XUEEX_S8

Post #489017  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

There is no address bar but try this
https://youtu.be/l79XUEEX_S8

Cheers Gaz. Leno could have been a one off. Hopefully coaches will help him with switch to Prem. Very different from European games here goalies get so much protection.

Post #489018  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:48 pm 

Arsenal ready to sell striker for £15million

Arsenal manager, Unai Emery, is ready to offload striker Danny Welbeck this summer, as he looks to trim his squad ahead of the 2018/2019 campaign.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/07/21/arsenal-ready-sell-striker-15million/

Post #489019  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I suppose you could look at the average points of the team with and without the first choice keeper, and the same for the first choice striker. But I think you are probably right. Keeper is the position where having someone slightly below par is the most costly, as we are only too bitterly aware. Whereas up front is where having the very best quality translates most to points--but in the modern game where we are seeing keepers like Nueur the gap is diminishing.

Post #489020  Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm 

So which players are going to leave? Arsenal have 32 players listed as in the first team squad on the official website.

That includes Asano and Reine-Adelaide - who will probably both be on loan. Akpom is on the verge of a £2m deal and it looks pretty certain that Ospina, Campbell and Jenkinson will go. That brings it down to 26 - still a big squad.

I expect one of Welbeck and Perez to go. Maybe somewhere around £15m. Add in small fees from the above and we should look to recoup £25-30m. bringing the summer spend to £40m (ish)

I'd still like to see another pacey wide player come in.

Post #489021  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 am 

Rich wrote:

There's one at Everton called Theo something or other who might be available. :laughing7:

Post #489022  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:26 am 

warrior wrote:

Arsenal manager, Unai Emery, is ready to offload striker Danny Welbeck this summer, as he looks to trim his squad ahead of the 2018/2019 campaign.

Welbeck has not made a strong impact since joining. IMO, good to let him go.

Post #489023  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 am 

When Arsenal was initially announced to be in Singapore for ICC, I was not even excited. Could not be bothered to buy the tickets. But now with a change of manager, I am excited to watch them this week. A change of manager, a change of approach. I hope he gets rid of the zonal marking, which caused us many conceded goals.

Post #489024  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 am 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

Disagree. If he does go, I will see him as a good signing, even if not one of the best. I would be interested in seeing any player under Emery.

Post #489025  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

There's one at Everton called Theo something or other who might be available. :laughing7:

I’ve seen him, he looks very quick, seems like a level headed lad.....is he good enough for arsenal though? Seems to drift in and out of games and often loses control of the ball trying todo the simplist of things

Post #489026  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:56 am 

Seen some rumours that Iwobi could be sold. Also saw some quotes from iwobi about playing for Nigeria and how he sacrifices himself for the team playing in a wide position because No.10 is his natural position.

If he wants to play No.10 at arsenal I haven’t seen anything close to the quality that important position requires.

If he’s sold for a decent fee and a replacement bought in I wouldn’t lose much sleep but I’d still like to see what Emery can do with him.

I’ve said I’d like another wide player, someone with pace and who can dribble but my biggest concern is still our back 5. I hope Emery can put more in to the team defence but I fear we’re going to be expecting Torreira to be putting out fires all over the pitch

Post #489027  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am 

Linked with Yann Sommer, the Swiss No.1 gk today. Could we be getting rid of Čech and Ospina? That would be some statement by Emery

Post #489028  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 am 

Iwobi's skillset seems to be a number 10. He is just not near the finished product. Furthermore, he is not ready to play that position for us. He either goes out on loan to a club where he can start week in, week out in that position and become good or play another position. What is frustrating about him are a few things: scoring. decision making. not making the right pass at the right time. Which is pretty much the position lol.

He is skillful, one doesn't have to watch him long to see his is good on the ball. He just needs to improve in a few categories.

Post #489029  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 am 

I like Welbeck personally but frankly, he's a mid table club quality striker. He'll be fine for the Evertons of the world.

Post #489030  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am 

Some people seem to be forgetting the importance of squad strength. If Welbeck would be a first choice at Everton, a club with sufficient history to have won the league nine times and who even at their current level are aiming to get in the top four, with Aubameyang and Lacazette clearly the first choice forwards can Arsenal realistically expect anyone better as their back up? Squad back ups are exactly that because they're not considered as good as the regular first teamers.

Post #489031  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Disagree. If he does go, I will see him as a good signing, even if not one of the best. I would be interested in seeing any player under Emery.

I agrees Bernard. His winner at old Trafford in the cup quarter final and the fact he celebrated afterwards was worth what we paid for him alone. But on the negative side he's always injured, not much point in a back up that can't be used.

Post #489032  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm 

NEW IWOBI DEAL?

Alex Iwobi is close to signing a new long-term Arsenal deal, according to the Daily Mirror.

It is reported that Iwobi has agreed terms on an improved contract until 2022.

Post #489033  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 am 

Reports that Özil has retired from international duty.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ger ... _campaign=

Post #489034  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:46 am 

Pretty explosive statement from Özil, good on him I say. He’s been made a ridiculous scapegoat for Germany’s failings, something that I think was decided before the World Cup even began. A bit like Sterling being England’s scapegoat if they had had a poor World Cup - minus the political side.

Hopefully he can put all his efforts in to proving people wrong for arsenal next season.

Given the full pre season most of our squad have had and our opening two fixtures we really need to hit the ground running, which is a big ask for the new manager. 2 draws in the opening two games would be entirely acceptable for me

Post #489035  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Pretty explosive statement from Özil, good on him I say. He’s been made a ridiculous scapegoat for Germany’s failings, something that I think was decided before the World Cup even began. A bit like Sterling being England’s scapegoat if they had had a poor World Cup - minus the political side.

Hopefully he can put all his efforts in to proving people wrong for arsenal next season.

I agree generally and think his treatment has been awful by the Germans but what I would suggest is that if footballers want to avoid criticism they try and stay away from controversial political figures. Erdogan is a controversial figure with instances of interference with democracy, restraint of free press and all sorts. There was only a coup attempt not that long ago. Özil attending an event with him, getting a picture then plastering it all over his social media saying “my president” Isn’t the same as Matthaus having to shake hands with Putin at an event in Russia during the World Cup.

Just think Özil could have been smarter and shaking hands with a dick because of his “ancestry” played into the hands of the far right. Also if Germany had won the World Cup we wouldn’t be talking about this

Post #489036  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree generally and think his treatment has been awful by the Germans but what I would suggest is that if footballers want to avoid criticism they try and stay away from controversial political figures. Erdogan is a controversial figure with instances of interference with democracy, restraint of free press and all sorts. There was only a coup attempt not that long ago. Özil attending an event with him, getting a picture then plastering it all over his social media saying “my president” Isn’t the same as Matthaus having to shake hands with Putin at an event in Russia during the World Cup.

Just think Özil could have been smarter and shaking hands with a dick because of his “ancestry” played into the hands of the far right. Also if Germany had won the World Cup we wouldn’t be talking about this

Spot on. It was as you say the "my President" bit that riled many Germans. Is Özil Turkish first or German?

Post #489037  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Spot on. It was as you say the "my President" bit that riled many Germans. Is Özil Turkish first or German?

Which cricket team does he support?

Post #489038  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is the real problem that President Trump did not approve. Afterall he seems to tell everyone how to think or act in Europe

Post #489039  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Is the real problem that President Trump did not approve. Afterall he seems to tell everyone how to think or act in Europe

I think your closer to the truth than you may realise.

Unfortunately Putin, Trump and the highly intelligent “no deal is a great idea “ lot as well as others are using race, religion and divisive politics to retain power across Europe in different ways more than ever.

This paired with Merkel trying to do the right thing by immigration and refugees in Germany and it biting her a little ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yea ... in_Germany

..... has changed the political mood in the country so they have become less tolerant. This nonsense with Özil which probably wouldn’t have been an issue of a few years ago.

It’s similar everywhere. There was a horrendous acid attack over the weekend in the UK on a 3 year old and it seems likely the perpetrators may have been from overseas in which case the Free Tommy Robinson mob will probably jump on it to further their twisted agenda shortly.

There is just no compassion anymore and political corruption seems to be at the heart of it.

Post #489040  Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm 

Wow. Here’s someone with a view on Özil http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... li-hoeness

[ 572053 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12223, 12224, 12225, 12226, 12227, 12228, 12229 ... 14302  Next