Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, warrior and 281 guests

Post #489241  Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:37 pm 

socrates wrote:
We appear to be letting Calum Chambers go on loan to Fulham for the season.

Seems weird given that we are not exactly stacked with quality CBs. In my opinion, he's probably the best we've currently got available.

Would have thought Holding was the one to loan out, if anyone.

I'd like to see us bring in a quality CB and not that Croation guy Vida.

Strange move as it only leaves us with holding and Mavropanos to cover Mustafi and Sokratis and they aren’t really experienced enough. It might suggest that we are bringing someone in but I think you are right and as usual the only thing separating us from getting the player we need in this area is the fee which would probably cost 50m + to secure the world class centre half we need. I would suggest the Croatian isn’t what we need either, looking at his overall career despite his decent World Cup he’s hardly set the world alight at all and I’d suggest he’s barely played at the highest level.

Post #489242  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:37 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
I'd advice you to move to Sweden lomekian, a "rainbow nation" perfectly suited to your needs, you'll find your Utopia there. Btw, Erdo is a fascist.

Tell you what, read my piece before you comment. I call 'Erdo' what he is, a de facto dictator who calls others fascists to cover his own fascist policies at home.

As for Sweden I quite like it, but I live in London, home of The Arsenal and the most multicultural city in the world, so my immediate rainbow nation is one of 10m+ and is the city of my birth.

Post #489243  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
Lomekian, I realise you loathe and despise them but I see your views on Bayern as childish nonsense. Hatred is not a healthy sentiment and I feel your attitude towards that club should concern you.

Bully for you. Rather bigger things to concern myself with than whether the degree to which I dislike Bayern is not healthy (your implication being utter bloody nonsense), given that it doesn't affect my life in any way

Post #489244  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
He probably supports sankt pauli Bernard, nuff said

Didn't we sell them Ryo Myachi? The totally of my knowledge in that direction.

Apologies if my pro-multicultural world view (perhaps influenced by being, you know, a mix of a number of different cultures and ethnicities) doesn't chime with your own. Even Canute only argued with the tide to prove a point about the limits to his power...

Post #489245  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If it was Gundogan who made the my president comment fair enough but Özil did plaster the pictures on social media because it was all over my feed and when I saw them I thought Hmmmn. He turned up at an event specifically to meet him and brought a signed Mesut Özil arsenal shirt. It’s just a Daft thing to do considering the guys reputation let’s be honest.

Yes hoeness and many others are pricks and have been dicks about it.

If Özil posted the photos, it definitely puts a different slant on it. I'm not on social media apart from LinkedIn.

It really was a poor judgement call and the reactions from some after the world cup were pathetic. A sorry affair all round.

No one in Germany gave a monkeys about Özil being pictured with Erdogan *as happened many times before* until suddenly the same pictures turn up in the turkish elections. Like Özil had any say in that!

Also as Rotterdamnation says, you don't turn Erdogan down if you have family in Turkey. Hakan Suker was Turkey's best ever striker, but when he criticised Erdogan it all got nasty in a hurry for him and his family.

Likewise, what about all the other people photographed with Erdogan on the same visit to London? Much as I dislike the tories and think the current lot are spectacularly incompetent, I dont think Theresa May was championing his election campaign...

Post #489246  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 am 

socrates wrote:

Seems weird given that we are not exactly stacked with quality CBs. In my opinion, he's probably the best we've currently got available.

Unless someone else comes in its very strange, particularly with home grown player rules.

Post #489247  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 am 

lomekian wrote:
dec wrote:
If Özil posted the photos, it definitely puts a different slant on it. I'm not on social media apart from LinkedIn.

It really was a poor judgement call and the reactions from some after the world cup were pathetic. A sorry affair all round.

No one in Germany gave a monkeys about Özil being pictured with Erdogan *as happened many times before* until suddenly the same pictures turn up in the turkish elections. Like Özil had any say in that!

Also as Rotterdamnation says, you don't turn Erdogan down if you have family in Turkey. Hakan Suker was Turkey's best ever striker, but when he criticised Erdogan it all got nasty in a hurry for him and his family.

Your wrong, it didn’t go down well at all and was the starting point for all the aggro about this. Nobody digged him out when they won the World Cup.

Understand your second point here but it doesn’t mean you turn up to meet him with a gift, take a photo with a *%^@ eating grin on your boatrace then plaster it all over your social media. Also Özil is German not Turkish.

Post #489248  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:16 am 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:

Unless someone else comes in its very strange, particularly with home grown player rules.

This is a interesting point. We need 8 homegrown players and with Ramsey, Welbeck and chambers off where does that leave us with complying ? Who are our 8?

Bellerin
Martinez
Holding
Mainland Nile’s
Nelson
Nketiah
Iwobi
Jenkinson

Post #489249  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

This is a interesting point. We need 8 homegrown players and with Ramsey, Welbeck and chambers off where does that leave us with complying ? Who are our 8?

Bellerin
Martinez
Holding
Mainland Nile’s
Nelson
Nketiah
Iwobi
Jenkinson

Didn't Lichsteiner start at CB against Lazio? Has the Polish kid left us?

Post #489250  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am 

Still struggling to comprehend the Chambers loan deal. I'm not sure how it really benefits us. A small loan fee and Chambers playing week-in week-out but he's already been on loan for a season once before and did well. Surely, it was either a keep or sell situation.

I would have thought that Holding or Mavropanos would have benefitted most from a loan move.

I can only assume we must be bringing someone else in (that young kid from Germany we were linked with earlier in the summer?) otherwise it looks like a case of shooting ourselves in the foot because in my humble opinion Chambers is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch of CBs currently at our disposal.

Post #489251  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:51 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Sergio ...?

Daz is desperately hoping so. :laughing7:

Post #489252  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 am 

lomekian wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Lomekian, I realise you loathe and despise them but I see your views on Bayern as childish nonsense. Hatred is not a healthy sentiment and I feel your attitude towards that club should concern you.

Bully for you. Rather bigger things to concern myself with than whether the degree to which I dislike Bayern is not healthy (your implication being utter bloody nonsense), given that it doesn't affect my life in any way

You obviously spend time thinking about Bayern, and writing about your hatred of them. Everyone wastes time on issues they have no influence on. But despite only doing something others do, on whatever the issue, your hatred of Bayern therefore does affect your life in some way.

Post #489253  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 am 

Watching City yesterday was a sobering experience. Their squad depth is frightening.

Unfortunately, whilst we have never been able to compete financially with City a number of very poor transfer windows in the last several seasons has left us miles off.

It hasn't helped that transfer fees have spiralled almost out of control in that time and the type of players we might have bought for £30m some seasons ago are now costing upwards of £60m, making our transfer budget seem laughable. We are now left to scratch around for second tier players in the hope they might plug a gap or try to find hidden gems like Guendouzi.

Liverpool are now doing what we should have done when we had the opportunity, strengthening when in a position of strength and buying top quality to address their positions of weakness.

Post #489254  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:34 am 

I thought Chambers recently signed a contract extension. If it's a loan deal, meaning we presumably won't get much, if any, money from Fulham apart from saving on his wages, my guess is we'll be signing a new central defender.

socrates, I think it's pushing things to claim he's currently our best centre half of those available.

Post #489255  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
I thought Chambers recently signed a contract extension. If it's a loan deal, meaning we presumably won't get much, if any, money from Fulham apart from saving on his wages, my guess is we'll be signing a new central defender.

socrates, I think it's pushing things to claim he's currently our best centre half of those available.

I'm not pretending he's a worldclass CB or anything but I have been seriously underwhelmed by what I have seen defensively in pre-season and he has looked the best of a pretty mediocre bunch.

Post #489256  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am 

socrates wrote:
I'm not pretending he's a worldclass CB or anything but I have been seriously underwhelmed by what I have seen defensively in pre-season and he has looked the best of a pretty mediocre bunch.

I might be wrong but wasn't it at right back where he had a decent game, not central defence? If so, he'll have Bellerin and Lichtsteiner ahead of him there.

Post #489257  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

I might be wrong but wasn't it at right back where he had a decent game, not central defence? If so, he'll have Bellerin and Lichtsteiner ahead of him there.

He played at CB against Lazio and I think mostly CB in the other games too.

He's a CB not a RB. As I said the other day his game is more rounded since his loan spell. He's no worldbeater but then neither are any of the other CBs we have (obviously it's too early to tell with Mavropanos but he only got limited game time during pre-season so he must be deemed not quite ready yet)

My initial thoughts on Sokratis are along the lines of "if he is the answer then what is the question?". He looks like a solid lump with good aerial ability but no pace and limited ability on the ball. He's no spring chicken either.

Post #489258  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am 

I agree he's mainly a centre half but I didn't see any of the Lazio game, not even the goals, so can't comment on that performance. I seem to remember Chambers doing okay once he came on against Chelsea, and I thought that was at right back.

Post #489259  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 am 

lomekian wrote:
dec wrote:

Likewise, what about all the other people photographed with Erdogan on the same visit to London? Much as I dislike the tories and think the current lot are spectacularly incompetent, I dont think Theresa May was championing his election campaign...

Özil could have declined the meeting. Emre Can did. And he could have done that without criticising Erdogan. It is totally undependable for someone to criticise Özil for what effectively looked like an endorsement of Erdogan. It is a very different thing for a politician to be pictured with the likes of Erdogan . Theresa May is acting as a representative of her country. It's all tied up with international trade and international diplomacy.

I read your article in full. It is very good and I agree fully with the sentiments expressed. I also consider that Özil did himself no favours here.

Post #489260  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:43 am 

Wonder if Guendouzi will be in the starting eleven against City? It's been quite a while since I've been this excited about a youngster breaking through as I am with him. Not even Wilshere, and certainly not Bellerin who looked really good initially.

Post #489261  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm 

Bloody daft decision to be loaning out Chambers.
After a good loan spell and signing a new contract really thought he was going to kick on and had a great chance of starting the season as first choice.
He seems to have all the attributes so it really is a bizarre decision.
Does this mean we are perservering with Mustafi?
Just don't get it.

Post #489262  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm 

david.d wrote:
Bloody daft decision to be loaning out Chambers.
After a good loan spell and signing a new contract really thought he was going to kick on and had a great chance of starting the season as first choice.
He seems to have all the attributes so it really is a bizarre decision.
Does this mean we are perservering with Mustafi?
Just don't get it.

Just like I don't get the AMN at left back nonsense. I'd thought we'd left all that behind with the departure of you know who. Play the lad in his best position and buy a bloody left back. We can't rely on Nacho going the whole season injury free, especially if he is starting off with one.

Post #489263  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Wonder if Guendouzi will be in the starting eleven against City? It's been quite a while since I've been this excited about a youngster breaking through as I am with him. Not even Wilshere, and certainly not Bellerin who looked really good initially.

He has looked good. I’m excited to see Torreira, add in Xhaka and AMN and we’re well stocked for the holding/CM positions. Ramsey is the ‘late arriver in the box type’ Özil, iwobi, mhiki are more No.10’s. I suppose the one thing we miss is that powerful driving box to box.

Of more concern to me though will be our defence again. Chambers going on loan is an odd one, surely we must have someone lined up because going with only 4 CB is dangerous considering we played 60 games last season.

Post #489264  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Your wrong, it didn’t go down well at all and was the starting point for all the aggro about this. Nobody digged him out when they won the World Cup.

Understand your second point here but it doesn’t mean you turn up to meet him with a gift, take a photo with a *%^@ eating grin on your boatrace then plaster it all over your social media. Also Özil is German not Turkish.

I'm not wrong because you have 100% misunderstood the point I was making. My point was that Özil has been photographed with Erdogan a number of times over the last decade, but it wasn't until this time when the photos were used as political propoganda (which hadn't happened before), and anti-turkish, anti-islamic and anti-immigrant feeling is at its highest point in maybe 60+ years. I know it caused a storm before the world cup - thats kind of my point.

As for the second point, if course you take him a gift and take smiley photsos with him - firstly they've met before a number of times and done exactly the same without any consequences, secondly, most poeple would do the same when asked to meet the leader of a nation they are so closely connected to, and thirdly, if you don't you get no more holidays with your Turkish wife in Turkey, and some of your cousins disappear....

Post #489265  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Watching City yesterday was a sobering experience. Their squad depth is frightening.

Unfortunately, whilst we have never been able to compete financially with City a number of very poor transfer windows in the last several seasons has left us miles off.

It hasn't helped that transfer fees have spiralled almost out of control in that time and the type of players we might have bought for £30m some seasons ago are now costing upwards of £60m, making our transfer budget seem laughable. We are now left to scratch around for second tier players in the hope they might plug a gap or try to find hidden gems like Guendouzi.

Liverpool are now doing what we should have done when we had the opportunity, strengthening when in a position of strength and buying top quality to address their positions of weakness.

Even after selling Coutinho and Suarez (they owe Rodgers and Dalglish for those), their net spend over the last few years is still more than 100m more than ours...

The main problem is that we didn't invest in the squad when we had a massive competitive advantage, and instead the 'custodians' and Kroenke were happy to expect Wenger to work miracles, and bribed him to do so by handing him so much power that it took 3 years longer than it should to get shot of him.

Post #489266  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:55 pm 

dec wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Özil could have declined the meeting. Emre Can did. And he could have done that without criticising Erdogan. It is totally undependable for someone to criticise Özil for what effectively looked like an endorsement of Erdogan. It is a very different thing for a politician to be pictured with the likes of Erdogan . Theresa May is acting as a representative of her country. It's all tied up with international trade and international diplomacy.

I read your article in full. It is very good and I agree fully with the sentiments expressed. I also consider that Özil did himself no favours here.

I agree Özil could have declined the meeting, but he has a lot more invested in his Turkish heritage than Emre Can - he still goes there every year several times, his partner is Miss Turkey and has a successful career there, he has ambitions to finish his career there, and he has a large extended family there. Bar some of the extended family element Can has none of that.

I agree that Özil's understanding of the situation was naive and stubborn, and that he allowed himself to be used by people with alterior motives. But I'm also angry that so much of the commentary and criticism of the player has come from people with absolutely no concept of the emotional pulls of being of mulitple heritage, or being the child of immigrants, or having had their ethnicity discussed for better or worse and used as a political points scoring element for almost their entire professional life.

The fact is none of the strongest critics and most commentators in general have absolute no even remote understanding of the experience of Özil's life. Hell, I don't either, but at least as someone of mixed race, whose 'difference' is always evident and has been remarked upon for my entire life, have some vague idea of how having that card marked feels, and I have none of his pressures, am culturally extremely british and live in London.

It just *%^@* me off all these old white blond Germans refusing to even engage with the broader issues while castigating the player, even if Özil himself could clearly have handled the situation better.

Which begs the question, where does ignorance stop and wilful stupidity start? And when does a reluctance to understand become prejudice?

Post #489267  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 pm 

Arsenal: Calum Chambers to Fulham first mistake of summer

Arsenal looked all set on the defensive side of things, but now Calum Chambers is on his way to a season-long loan and, just like that – mistake.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2018/08/06/arsenal-calum-chambers-fulham-mistake/

Post #489268  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm not wrong because you have 100% misunderstood the point I was making. My point was that Özil has been photographed with Erdogan a number of times over the last decade, but it wasn't until this time when the photos were used as political propoganda (which hadn't happened before), and anti-turkish, anti-islamic and anti-immigrant feeling is at its highest point in maybe 60+ years. I know it caused a storm before the world cup - thats kind of my point.

As for the second point, if course you take him a gift and take smiley photsos with him - firstly they've met before a number of times and done exactly the same without any consequences, secondly, most poeple would do the same when asked to meet the leader of a nation they are so closely connected to, and thirdly, if you don't you get no more holidays with your Turkish wife in Turkey, and some of your cousins disappear....

So Emre Cans relatives are being bumped off as we speak are they. Come off it.

I understand they had met previously and said tensions in Germany around immigration are high but who knows maybe there was a lack of awareness the first time they met as Özil certainly didn’t plaster it over his social media like this time.

Regardless

Quite simply if you take a picture with a fascist dictator smiling your chops off people will question you and form an opinion so be prepared to deal with the consequences.

End.of.story

Post #489269  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 pm 

Reiss Nelsen is reportedly on the verge of signing a new 5 year deal with us. Excellent news, protects a valuable asset and ensures a very talented player stays with us. He’s had a good pre season. Similar to AMN we need to see more of him in his best position.
Cup and Europa games should be 4-2-3-1 with nelsen right wing ahead of Lichtsteiner and AMN as one of the two centre mids

Post #489270  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 pm 

Perez close to signing for West Ham, reports are anywhere between £4-£10m.
When you see kouyate sign for palace for £10m you realise how obscene the wages of the players we can’t shift must be. The socialist method of wenger needs to be binned.

Post #489271  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm 

Apparently Perez is about to sign for West Ham for 3 million quid + a further potential 1m in bonuses. An absolutely nothing fee and the reason is that hes being sold so cheaply is because he is on a 90k a week contract and the board need him off the wage bill. It will have to go down as as financially the worst piece of transfer business conducted during Wengers tenure.

As said previously Wenger was a complete douchewaffle and it will take us years to repair the damage caused at the end of his tenure.

Post #489272  Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Perez close to signing for West Ham, reports are anywhere between £4-£10m.
When you see kouyate sign for palace for £10m you realise how obscene the wages of the players we can’t shift must be. The socialist method of wenger needs to be binned.

Jinx ! You beat me to it

Post #489273  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently Perez is about to sign for West Ham for 3 million quid + a further potential 1m in bonuses. An absolutely nothing fee and the reason is that hes being sold so cheaply is because he is on a 90k a week contract and the board need him off the wage bill. It will have to go down as as financially the worst piece of transfer business conducted during Wengers tenure.

As said previously Wenger was a complete douchewaffle and it will take us years to repair the damage caused at the end of his tenure.

There has been a transfers team in place for many years. Wages and fees were not Awa to decide so stop blaming him for the Sun rising.

His was not an easy job as shown by Emery sticking with a lot of positions we all disliked. AW knew what he was doing 75% of the time unfortunately his tactics let him down though at times he did make some excellent decisions so can't we stop blaming him for everything.

Post #489274  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:59 am 

It's happened. Stan has bought out Usamanov for a
£1.8bn take over bid. That's the 30% Stan's getting. He's seizing control of the club.
This according to the Independent today.
Could be why Gazidis is leaving. Maybe.

Post #489275  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am 

So what are Stan's plans now? Take us private?

Buying Arsenal and then not making them a competitive force is like buying a top of the range Ferrari and not driving it over 50mph.

What odds on Usmanov joining his pal at Everton and making them a force?

Or another London club, like Palace, and making them contenders?

Post #489276  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 am 

If we loan Chambers to Fulham and buy this Vida guy (a very average defender by the way) then we will have spent £35m+ on two ageing, mediocre defenders.

What about Mina at Barca?

Bit concerned that Sven's diamond eyes do not extend to defensive players.

Post #489277  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:33 am 

This from the BBC. Not done yet but it seems buying Usmanov's shares is a formality, and then presumably he'll be after Bernard and all the small shareholders,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45094538

Post #489278  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 am 

According to Jeremy Wilson of the Telegraph - the journo who Kroenke entrusted his only direct uk interview - has declared the Kroenke takeover as done. Usmanov has accepted the offer.

Post #489279  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 am 

We’re going to be the cash cow that funds his American sports teams. We’re *%^@**. RIP Arsenal.

Post #489280  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 am 

socrates wrote:
If we loan Chambers to Fulham and buy this Vida guy (a very average defender by the way) then we will have spent £35m+ on two ageing, mediocre defenders.

What about Mina at Barca?

Bit concerned that Sven's diamond eyes do not extend to defensive players.

On the other hand - Mina didn't impress at Barcelona where he became seen as a defensive liability. Chambers has had some good games but hasn't looked top class in my view, nothing more than a squaddie at best. And Vida looked a decent player at the World Cup, although that's all I've seen of him. And he'd bring a bit of much-needed nastiness to the squad (I'm sure Daz would agree).

[ 572001 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12229, 12230, 12231, 12232, 12233, 12234, 12235 ... 14301  Next