Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 411 guests

Post #570681  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So a friendly has been scheduled for this afternoon. Partey and Tomiyasu San playing

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... r-BB1kibEa

Quote:
The only first team players involved in the match were Takehiro Tomiyasu and Thomas Partey.
Rightly first teamers weren't risked.

and our u21's managed to lose 4-0 even with the big boys :26surprise:

Post #570682  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:27 pm 

I'm going with either the CIA or the Russians.

Post #570683  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:25 pm 

Saka injured and withdrawn from England squad. Hopefully, nothing serious.

Post #570684  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:42 pm 

danny wrote:

Hopefully he’s told Steve Holland to *%^@ off too and won’t be back :laughing7:

Just deccers and ramsdale to go !

Post #570685  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
danny wrote:

Not too bothered about Ramsdale :14laughter:

Post #570686  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
danny wrote:

Gabriel also out of Brazil squad friendly due to injury, as well as Spain one.
Actually not so bad considering White, Saka, now Gabriel just may be available for City match. :42laughter:

Smithers may go to Magpies.

Post #570687  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

A friendly in the middle of the season? Not likely. There is also the risk of injury. Man City have a 15 day gap so we'll be at the same level.

So a friendly has been scheduled for this afternoon. Partey and Tomiyasu San playing

Thanks for the info. Not as many first teamers as I predicted but a friendly nonetheless and extra minutes in the legs of Partey and Tomiyasu. Arteta had done it before in these extended breaks.

Post #570688  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:01 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... nd-failure

Post #570689  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 am 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-ben-white-saga-exposed-england-southgate-holland-failure

Pretty scathing …

Southgate making matters worse by insisting White’s self-imposed exile was not because of any “issues” with Holland only underlined how this England management team is no longer fit for purpose

The stuff about Jordan Henderson. Absolutely crazy he’s involved. Southgates favourites will probably hurt England this summer

Post #570690  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:23 am 

This can't be true, can it?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/816518127155267

Post #570691  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:04 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. Feel free to tell us the subject of your clickbait link.

Post #570692  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:04 pm 

I am very, very nervous like most Gooners of this run in. The logical, reason laden part of my brain says we aren't going to be able do it given the schedule we have. Getting wins at Brighton, Man Utd and Tottenham along with CL games is a bit beyond us at this stage of our development I think.

Last season was the first team we've had that could challenge for maybe a dozen years. It takes time. Man City and Liverpool are used to challenge runs. Our team is young. We're playing the best football of the 3 which is a huge advantage. The players don't seem too nervous which is good. Having Jesus back is big. Timber could be pivotal as well but it may be too early to expect much out of him. Certainly not 90 minutes. But an option off the bench of his caliber is going to come in handy.

Next season, assuming we buy what is needed in the summer, will be the season I expect us to win it possibly or at least be the favorites. People calling us bottlers last season I think is massively unfair. First time challenging in a long time, young team, injuries to key players (Jesus, Saliba) at a pivotal part of the season. It was asking too much for a side that hasn't been in this position in recent memory.

If we do win it will because City and Liverpool blinked. We are capable of a draw at City. If Brighton can do us a favor and take points in their league game at Liverpool and leave us all square. A big ask of Brighton, although they are capable. I just don't see us being able to navigate very difficult sides every 3 days according to the schedule, Luton excepted.

That's a tough schedule for us comparably for the remainder. Fingers crossed.

Post #570693  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Thanks for the info. Not as many first teamers as I predicted but a friendly nonetheless and extra minutes in the legs of Partey and Tomiyasu. Arteta had done it before in these extended breaks.

None were involved bar two guys on the comeback from injury.

Post #570694  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:07 pm 

I'm really cheering for Leverkusen. The Bundesliga is largely a one club league. Whenever I watch BM in league play I'm always hoping they lose or at least drop points. I have to assume Germans as whole would like for their league to be more competitive.

I fear the same fate that beseeched other German clubs that tried to challenge on a regular basis will happen to Leverkusen. Bayern Munich will come in with big money and take away their best players. Like Klopp, foreign clubs will come after their manager and the better players that BM don't take.

At least for this season they should upset the apple cart. Lastly, wouldn't it great if they were to meet and beat Liverpool in the final of the Europa cup?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cnAhk07STs4

Post #570695  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:51 am 

Had to be a Chelsea fan that put this list together.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/4199145543694852

Post #570696  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:32 pm 

April fixture changes.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/wolves-tot ... rearranged

Post #570697  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:24 pm 

Zed wrote:

Hectic. 9 really tough games from 31 March to 28 April. Similar for City and Liverpool but one feels this is where City's squad will give them the advantage.

Post #570698  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:16 pm 

If Pele played today, he'd have half the team sent off.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/736245371966593

Post #570699  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:25 pm 

I thought I heard the comms say that Kane went off injured almost from the very start of the game.

Looked on BBC and it's not saying he started? Was it a warm up situation?

Anyone know..............

Post #570700  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:26 am 

England captain Harry Kane will leave the Three Lions squad and return to Bayern Munich to continue his recovery from an ankle injury.

The Bayern striker suffered the injury after colliding with the post in last Saturday’s victory over Darmstadt.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/footbal ... r-BB1kq5d4

Post #570701  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:28 am 

warrior wrote:
England captain Harry Kane will leave the Three Lions squad and return to Bayern Munich to continue his recovery from an ankle injury.

The Bayern striker suffered the injury after colliding with the post in last Saturday’s victory over Darmstadt.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/footbal ... r-BB1kq5d4

Thanks Rog

Post #570702  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:05 am 

Kai was in good form for Germany and you can see the confidence on his face after scoring. He was threatening. For a guy who looks a bit slim and unassuming, gaunt face, he's stronger than he appears. And nimble on his feet and a not a bad dribbler. I still don't see the same confidence in him than I do the other attackers like Saka, Martinelli, even Ødegaard, but he's getting there.

I'm waiting for that day. Once he gets that confidence and swagger, it will show up in his finishing and we'll go up a level.

Post #570703  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:57 pm 

The state of America
PART ONE

It appears that us Americans have the return leg of the 2020 presidential election. As a student of history, I am personally convinced America is in its last stage. There are typically 7 stages to most empires. The vast number of global empires historically barely last a couple hundred years. The ones that defied that trend are the ones we remember the most: Persian empire, Roman empire, British empire, etc. But history tells us most don't last past a few generations. The aforementioned lasted longer than the others due to a few common factors. 
Anyway, America has two candidates that are completely unqualified for differing reasons. Biden would have been mentally and physically fit to be president 30 years ago. He would have made a half way decent president based on your politics. Not the best probably but certainly nowhere close to the worst and would be ranked in the top third probably. The rumours today is that at best you can get 3 hours of actual work out of him. Enough time to sign papers that require his signature. Late morning to early afternoon are what is said privately. The Democrats, who accuse the Republicans of being fascists are correct and also hypocrites. Republicans do want de facto fascism. The Dems practice fascism internally. For the first time in modern history, the party has deemed its standard bearer to be the nominee ahead of any primaries and have rigged the  primary system to that effect. It will not allow any challengers. You might ask how does the country run if Biden is physically unable to put in a days work? The chief of staff and key senior members including the military joint chief of staff, secretary of state, Dem leadership in the Congress, etc.. Basically a cabal are actually running the country. It's happened before. Eisenhower suffered a severe stroke in his second term and was unable to feed himself let alone make decisions for weeks if not months. His senior staff ran the country. When Reagan was shot, he never really recovered. He was generally deemed incoherent to a certain degree his last two years. He had to give testimony in 1989 for Iran Contra and he was incapable of answering basic questions. It was the first time we realized the alzheimer's had set in already. Nancy Reagan would not most to see him in his last year and a half. She, the chief of staff, etc. ran the country. When he was coherent, Reagan would speak. There is a video of Nancy feeding him answers under her breath in an interview. Reagan's training as a B list actor was invaluable. So, the country is able to technically function with a Biden that shouldn't be governing a midsize city let alone the worlds biggest economy and military. The job is physically and mentally taxing. Its actually a 24 hour job. Levels of emergencies arise at anytime and the CIA, Military joint chief of staff, etc, has to determine if its important enough to wake the president out of his sleep at 3am or wait until morning. This is pretty much a daily decision. I imagine the Prime Minister of the UK , Xi of China, Putin for sure given each's role in the world. I  wouldn't be surprised if India, Israel, France and Germany don't have similar burdens on a lesser scale. 

Post #570704  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:58 pm 

PART TWO

The Dems had a senator, Diane Feinstein of California who now deceased but before her death, was physically and mentally incapable of the job. It was sad, She should have been in a retirement home or at home with her family and a nurse. But Nancy Pelosi (House of Representatives) and  Chuck Schumer literally had a 'Weekend at Bernie's" propping up of her. She literally had no idea where she was or what she was doing at times. Agree or disagree with her politics, it was cruel. The Dems internally are fascists. Internally the Republicans are at least democratic and you have a system where the most popular gets chosen. Not anymore inside the Democratic party. The Republicans only practice fascism against the Dems and the country. 
Trump has grown on people, even the ones that don't like him.  The fact is , not speculation, its factual at this point. Factual in the sense if you use any standard of what the job requires. You base it on all prior presidents. He is emotionally unfit to be president. He never thought he would be. It's well known election night, even his inner circle were surprised they had won. His wife cried not out of joy but out of sadness that her life would now be under a microscope. Secret service for the rest of their lives. Her child's life. For the rest of their lives. Once president you no longer have privacy. it's akin to the British royal family. I've read that there is a point where the child realizes they are not only different than everyone in a unique way, but there is an expectation of conduct that has to be preserved for the rest of their lives. Simple human mistakes in conduct that even the child of a CEO can do, they do not have that privilege. The same with the president's family. The daughter of the CEO of Google smokes pot is not much news. The child of the president or a royal is front page. 
The ambassadors of all the G7 nations send a secret report on any new leader of each other's country. They all do actually but the G7 and G20 have more importance. The assessment of Trump by the UK, France, Russia, etc, are all rumored to have said similar things about Trump. One of them leaked but it was a general agreement. Trump is narcissistic, intellectually lacking, etc. Trump, like his business life, is a 'big picture' guy. He says what he wants and has minions carry them out. He doesn't like details. Lacks the patience for it. Just wants to see the final result. Trump, whose business empire wasn't as big as he suggests, spent part of his life as president using his office to fund his private businesses. He can easily be bought off. All presidents can but he is a transactional president. The move of the embassy to Jerusalem which all prior presidents avoided for obvious reasons as it might touch off regional conflict was done reportedly of a 100 million plus financing of his campaign, and other areas by now deceased mega billionaire Sheldon Adelson and a few others. Many may have approved of the move, that's not the question. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, just saying that Trump had no issues risking a conflict over it. Even if he knew it would cause conflict he would still have taken the money and moved it. That's Trump. 

Post #570705  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:59 pm 

PART THREE

As an official registered independent I have no horse in this race. I have supported candidates of either party depending on their views, politics, etc. I have some views that would be deemed anywhere from left of center to perhaps one or two deemed far left. As well as views deemed right of center to moderate right but I wouldn't go as far as far right. 
January 6th 2021 there was an attempt at a coup. There is no question.  it wasn't well planned, it was tragic in that people lost lives and also laughably done. The attempt and act would have been unheard of a decade ago. Even half a dozen years ago. There have reportedly been at least two stolen elections in modern history. It's widely believed the mafia stole the Illinois vote to give JFK the state in 1960. The overvote was obvious. Chicago had an overvote in the 1000s. The mafia and the unions. Nixon knew this. Johnson rigged Texas. A southern state voting for a northern liberal Catholic was a big ask. Too big. Even if they had a native son Texas on the ticket who was the Speaker of the House. Johnson rigged it. Nixon knew this and reportedly said the country believing that all presidential elections are fair is more important than having it questioned for prosperity. Very noble. But Nixon would also tamper with an election 8 years later. Johnson made a deal to end the war in Vietnam with both the north and the south and it was deemed the November surprise as it would be announced days before the election. Nixon had Kissinger tell the South Vietnam to reject it and promised him a much better deal, more money for him if he did. Johnson found out, but did not bring charges as Nixon was a rival candidate and it would be bad for America's belief in the system. 
Trump has no qualms about openly stealing an election. He personally told the states he needed that he wanted them to change their fairly elected vote for Biden to himself. 
What has made today's Republican party the most dangerous in American history since Lincoln (I'll get to that later) was they have no issues with it. The Republican party fought the impeachment of Nixon tooth and nail until they got irrefutable proof. Senior Republican senator Goldwater and other senior senators went to Nixon's office to say he no longer had the votes 
If the same exact Watergate situation happened today this Republican senate would not vote to impeach. Even with clear and irrefutable facts. That is the Republican party today. Completely fascist and corrupt. How did they devolve to this? A variety of things. America in 1974 is a far different America than 2024. The demographics have changed completely. America was 80 percent white in 1970, statistically less than 60 percent now and falling quickly due to immigration and the opiod crisis which slowed new births to an all time low. Furthermore the far left have far more prominence. Gay marriage would be unheard of 20 years ago. Reparations to descendants of American slaves is now a campaign issue in the Democratic primaries. Various state governments are in the marijuana business Unheard 20 years ago. Transgenders can legally be deemed female. Some states (NY, California, etc) have legalized it where you can be legally sued for misgendering, etc.  Unheard of 10 years ago. Most Republicans believe they will no longer be able to have any power electorally in America within a generation. They now believe in the constitution only when its advantageous and are more than willing to violate it if it works against them. 
We are electing Governors, Senators, Congresspersons, mayors of either party that are in my humble opinion batsh*t crazy. Unfit for a city council in a small rural town much less have a vote on America going to war, etc. 

Post #570706  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:01 pm 

PART FOUR

Towards the end of the Roman empire there were strings of unfit emperors. The occasional good ones (Trajan, Aurelius) but it was too little too late. So much similarities. Debased currency. Corrupt/incompetent leadership, endless wars, low birthrate. Bread & Circuses  (addiction to Tik Tok, Instagram, reality shows, NBA, NFL no longer a pass time but elevated in importance, gender dystopia, etc)  
This election coming election no one wins. Who will win? 2 months ago Trump, now the polls for Biden have taken a big bump. There are a few thing I think that will change after this. This is not what I am saying I want or don't want but reading the tea leaves as impartial as I can be. I think Biden will be the last Democratic nominee that will be able be the nominee being unequivocally supporter of Israel without restriction and there will be restriction on aid. I think if the next economic crash will usher in a long (12 years or more) of Democratic presidents who will provide universal healthcare, and possibly a living wage for all Americans. There were Republican presidents from 1920 to 1932. The Great Depression ushered unprecedented social reforms (social security, etc) and a Democrat party run White House from 1932 to 1952. I think the end of the 'establishment' Republican nominee ended with Trump. We will see more and more nominees on both sides who are non politicians. The only non politicians in American history were former generals (Washington, Eisenhower). I think because of their fear of a much reduced electorate in the future, the Republican party will continue to go farther to the right. And the Supreme Court will lose its relevancy. 
My fear going forward is an increase in bigotry. Take your pick. Blacks, Jews, Gays, others and it will be violent. This saddens me to no end. I have friends, family members, what have you who are these groups who I love dearly.

I also think America's reputation globally will continue to deteriorate and China and possible Russia individually or together will be the arbiter of some conflicts or potential conflicts depending on the region and circumstances. China in the middle east for example as America will no longer be trusted to be a fair arbiter. 

Post #570707  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:00 pm 

:20hospitals: :20hospitals: :20hospitals: :20hospitals:

Post #570708  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:08 pm 

He's annoying but I like Gary Neville. Can't stand Scholes.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5QH3jUj25Ek

Post #570709  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 pm 

Nooooooooo! Don't sully yourself Henry.

Post #570710  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hectic. 9 really tough games from 31 March to 28 April. Similar for City and Liverpool but one feels this is where City's squad will give them the advantage.

Quite hectic without many days rest between fixtures. Makes Easter Sunday a must win just for momentum sake.

Post #570711  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm 

See there have been a few interesting snippets of transfer gossip knocking about.

Italian press saying Jorginho is going back to Italy this summer after Arsenal have decided not to extend his contract this summer. You would have to assume we have identified a new holding midfielder coming in if this is the case.

Charlie watts has been saying edu is speaking to Osimhen

Looks like Donyell Mallen is leaving Dortmund this summer. Would be such a logical back up for saka

Post #570712  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:01 am 

I thought I was visiting a site talking about Arsenal not 4 f%&$#n posts about the state of America. There is a reason why I blocked this poster.

Post #570713  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 am 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... brilliant/

Behind a paywall so I'll put some chunks........................

Quote:
“We kicked lumps out of each other,” says Wilson. “I’ve got scars all over my head, two artificial hips, dislocated fingers, broken ribs, torn cartilage, dislocated shoulder, a broken elbow - but the one thing that made me stand out was the ability to dive head first at an attacker’s feet. It was my trademark......................................“What drives me demented is we have one of the best young players and, if we aren’t careful, football will lose him by the time he is 24 or 25 because Bukayo Saka will have been kicked out of the game,” says Wilson.

“Referees don’t seem to see or understand it. There are always a minimum of two players within five yards of Saka and often a third. If they can’t stop him, they kick him.

“People say, ‘What do you mean? That’s too dramatic’. I say there has not been a more kicked player in the Premier League than Bukayo Saka. If he is facing in an attacking position, and he is taking them on, that is the time I worry. I really worry for Bukayo.”

Quote:
Ferguson had shown similar empathy after Anna died in 1998, midway through Manchester United’s treble-winning season and a period when the rivalry with Arsenal – for whom Wilson was the goalkeeping coach – was at its zenith.

“Three nights after Anna died, the phone rang. ‘Hiya Bob, it’s Alex’. I was, ‘Alex??’ He was, ‘Yeah, Alex Ferguson’. He spoke to me, said, ‘You sound as if you are holding up but where’s Megs?’ He then spoke to her for 20 minutes. I’ll never forget that.”

Quote:
A typical day in the 1980s and 1990s went something like this: Alarm at 3.20am. In the BBC studio for 4.30am. On air at 6.30am for the first of three sports bulletins that he anchored for many years alongside another great friend in Jill Dando.

It was then away just after 8.30am. Arrive at Arsenal’s training ground for 9.15am. Train the goalkeepers before afternoons spent preparing or interviewing for Football Focus and Grandstand ahead of an evening match either in his capacity as a television presenter or an Arsenal coach.

Quote:
For all this time on television, Wilson was also Arsenal’s goalkeeper coach. His opening gambit when Jennings arrived from Tottenham in 1977 was simply, “Pat, I can’t teach you anything about goalkeeping – I’ve idolised you – but I’m here to help”.

He was the first specialist goalkeeping coach at any club and it would be an entirely voluntary position until Wenger personally insisted that Wilson be paid for his work.

Quote:
“My heroes are two guys I never knew,” he says, pointing. “My brothers Jock and Billy. I was four months old when Jock was shot down and killed in his Spitfire. He was head boy at his school. And I was two when Billy died as rear gunner in his Lancaster.

“My mother was so proud of them. Ultimately Hitler and that regime were booted out, and it was thanks to hundreds of thousands of guys like Jock and Billy. Nineteen-years-old, and they’re lives were over. They will always be my heroes. Whatever I do will never come near what those guys did.”

It really is worth a read if you can.

Post #570714  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:58 am 

Zed wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Quite hectic without many days rest between fixtures. Makes Easter Sunday a must win just for momentum sake.

Yeah. A draw would be a great result obviously but one feels not enough. If we're full strength we should be aiming to win and I'm sure that would be Arteta's mindset.

Let's hope the reported injuries to Gabriel and Saka aren't anything major and Martinelli is back :icon_eek1:

Post #570715  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:04 am 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/25/bob-wilson-interview-arsenal-sir-alex-ferguson-brilliant/

Behind a paywall so I'll put some chunks........................

Quote:
“We kicked lumps out of each other,” says Wilson. “I’ve got scars all over my head, two artificial hips, dislocated fingers, broken ribs, torn cartilage, dislocated shoulder, a broken elbow - but the one thing that made me stand out was the ability to dive head first at an attacker’s feet. It was my trademark......................................“What drives me demented is we have one of the best young players and, if we aren’t careful, football will lose him by the time he is 24 or 25 because Bukayo Saka will have been kicked out of the game,” says Wilson.

“Referees don’t seem to see or understand it. There are always a minimum of two players within five yards of Saka and often a third. If they can’t stop him, they kick him.

“People say, ‘What do you mean? That’s too dramatic’. I say there has not been a more kicked player in the Premier League than Bukayo Saka. If he is facing in an attacking position, and he is taking them on, that is the time I worry. I really worry for Bukayo.”

Quote:
Ferguson had shown similar empathy after Anna died in 1998, midway through Manchester United’s treble-winning season and a period when the rivalry with Arsenal – for whom Wilson was the goalkeeping coach – was at its zenith.

“Three nights after Anna died, the phone rang. ‘Hiya Bob, it’s Alex’. I was, ‘Alex??’ He was, ‘Yeah, Alex Ferguson’. He spoke to me, said, ‘You sound as if you are holding up but where’s Megs?’ He then spoke to her for 20 minutes. I’ll never forget that.”

Quote:
A typical day in the 1980s and 1990s went something like this: Alarm at 3.20am. In the BBC studio for 4.30am. On air at 6.30am for the first of three sports bulletins that he anchored for many years alongside another great friend in Jill Dando.

It was then away just after 8.30am. Arrive at Arsenal’s training ground for 9.15am. Train the goalkeepers before afternoons spent preparing or interviewing for Football Focus and Grandstand ahead of an evening match either in his capacity as a television presenter or an Arsenal coach.

Quote:
For all this time on television, Wilson was also Arsenal’s goalkeeper coach. His opening gambit when Jennings arrived from Tottenham in 1977 was simply, “Pat, I can’t teach you anything about goalkeeping – I’ve idolised you – but I’m here to help”.

He was the first specialist goalkeeping coach at any club and it would be an entirely voluntary position until Wenger personally insisted that Wilson be paid for his work.

Quote:
“My heroes are two guys I never knew,” he says, pointing. “My brothers Jock and Billy. I was four months old when Jock was shot down and killed in his Spitfire. He was head boy at his school. And I was two when Billy died as rear gunner in his Lancaster.

“My mother was so proud of them. Ultimately Hitler and that regime were booted out, and it was thanks to hundreds of thousands of guys like Jock and Billy. Nineteen-years-old, and they’re lives were over. They will always be my heroes. Whatever I do will never come near what those guys did.”

It really is worth a read if you can.

Interesting snippets. Sad that the WWII generation (not just those who fought, but also those who lived though it) is almost gone. We need to cherish those that remain and listen to their memories.

Post #570716  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:15 am 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/25/bob-wilson-interview-arsenal-sir-alex-ferguson-brilliant/

Behind a paywall ...

Easy to defeat their paywall. I just use Firefox on Windows, Install UBlock Origin. Turn off scripts = Paywall vanishes.

They are such losers because they allow Google Bots to roam freely but they block regular 'people' so a script blocker or
"User Agent Switcher" can also defeat these silly paywalls most times.
I don't agree with this tactic as it is lame and biased. It allows Google to view their pages but not a person.
It is just used for clickbaiting people Imo.

Changing the User Agent to Google bot means most will allow you thru also.

Post #570717  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am 

I'm extremely nervous about this weekend. Sports gamblers will tell you, its very difficult to beat a very good time 3 straight times. Very low percentage of winning. That's my concern. Counting the Charity Shield, we've beaten City twice and we didn't go their grounds for any of the victories. It's going to be tough obviously but how tough? They are going to play this like a cup final. They must win. A draw isn't good enough for Pep. That's going to be either very bad for us or play into our hands. Can we withstand the onslaught? We have the best defense in the league so there is a good chance we can counter effectively. 1 goal is not going to be enough to win this one away. Home, yes. Away? No unless its a 0-0 game and we score late somehow.

Post #570718  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pm 

Zed wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Spurs play Newcastle away on April 13th and don't play again until they play us on April 28th - a 15 day break.
Between those 2 games for Spurs we'll play 4 matches, Villa, Bayern, Wolves, Chelsea - that's a crazy swing in terms of rest and matches even given that we're still in europe and they never were in the first place!
You could argue that if we're winning those games then the momentum of just playing games will suit us better than the 2 week rest Spurs have.....but Spurs will be loving that they have 2 weeks to prepare for us and we'll have 4 days to prepare for them

Post #570719  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:29 pm 

Its partially why I don't see us winning the title unless the other two crash. First, we don't have the depth for those fixtures every few days. Secondly, those games aren't going to be 5-0 jog around the park. We'll likely be working hard all 90 plus minutes. Two games with that kind of physical and mental pressure and we're too tired to give the same effort for the 3rd.

If we get through it, it may come close to surpassing the runs in '98 and '02 in the spring. Maybe.

Post #570720  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

Yeah. A draw would be a great result obviously but one feels not enough. If we're full strength we should be aiming to win and I'm sure that would be Arteta's mindset.

Let's hope the reported injuries to Gabriel and Saka aren't anything major and Martinelli is back :icon_eek1:

Same here for a draw, but of course, obviously prefer a win. Would take a 2-1 result. Goes both ways though for both sides. Hopefully the injuries are nothing debilitating and players are fresh.

[ 572032 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14265, 14266, 14267, 14268, 14269, 14270, 14271 ... 14301  Next