Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 13 guests

Post #391121  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:19 am 

Andy Green wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
4th July is likely to be my last General Election vote as we are planning to move to Canada. Of all the votes none have ever felt as good as the first I cast for Labour back in 1970. We lost that one, but that team had some giants in it, the like of which Labour has rarely seen since. Over half a century on I am very dispirited by the lack of quality or inspiration before us from all parties. Clive Efford, my local MP, is that scarce thing - a Labour representative from a working-class background who has actually done a real job before politics. My cross will go against his name.

Wish you well OMOH in your transatlantic venture……you are one of the posters I take the time to read….you,DHD,TG and others (Mee and Bernard bless their hearts)have a perspective about our beloved team that comes with supporting them for decades …
Curious about where in Canada your next adventure awaits…Mrs Andy is keen for us to do the Trans Canadian rail trip Vancouver to Toronto so that’s on my bucket list …….i hope you keep posting…Bon Chance Old Man.

Echo this OMOH, I hope they have the internet in Canada. :laughing7:

Post #391122  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:24 am 

In other news, Newcastle played a friendly against the Spuds in Melbourne overnight. To highlight their rampant obsession with just ruining our day (and rather low IQs) I saw this on the back of a Totts shirt.

Ha
Arsenal

:1laughter:

Post #391123  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:11 am 

My guess is Leverkusen were just tired. Their season is what I have heard about the old Division One where you played replays, 22 teams and so that's what makes the old doubles so difficult.

I watched the final and Leverkusen just weren't sharp. They looked what you guys call 'knackered'. Atalanta on the other hand got a boost from their big win over Liverpool they have gone on a big run with wins over Roma and Marseille. The only loss being a 1-0 cup final loss to Juventus. The run moved them up to 5th in Serie A.

Post #391124  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:20 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I heard they want a young(modern) progressive manager. It is amusing when clubs look at what Arteta has done and just think they hire a young rookie manager with good ideas and they can simply achieve the same

Chelsea strikes me as a club that won't be patient with a young, progressive manager. I think they see themselves as a major global brand and will want immediate success to keep the shirt sales, sold out summer tours, ticket sales going.

Post #391125  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:30 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...I have come to learn its more than football. Despite Manchester, Liverpool having built up to where they have great central areas, its still Arsenal, its still London.
Worth recalling that, despite what the media would have us believe, English football existed before the Premier League was invented! There were great teams across the nation such as Preston, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Wolves, Everton, Derby and Leeds.

Very rich history indeed a few of the ones you mentioned are part of the inaugural league as you know.
The best of luck in Canada. Be careful you don't end up with something similar to my accent in a few years. As for the politics, I have a general knowledge about it. Far more than most Americans but that bar is exceedingly low.

Post #391126  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:33 am 

Speaking of which...

I'd trade politicians with you lot any day of the week, twice on Sundays. I will write in my own name for President. Down ballot (senator, governor, etc) there are some choices. But as I see it the choices are either 'Weekend at Bernie's' or Joffrey Baratheon. When Biden is lucid (I've heard its no more than 3-5 hours a day at most), he's making bad political decisions. He's lost large parts of his base. Trump really doesn't believe in the constitution. It's obvious. And the scariest thing is he's got 40% or more of the country okay with it.

The next president will likely bankrupt the country. The interest payments in the next couple years on our debt will eat up about 20% of the budget. That's just the interest. The debt is north of 30 trillion. We went from debt free around year 2000 from the '90s tech boom. Europe had the 30 years war and the 100 years war (at least that's what the American history books called them).

We have got to be up there in the 'rankings' now. Two 'forever wars' cost us maybe 20 trillion. We really have no idea. A lot of that is off the books 'black accounting', where we probably had the printing presses running 24 hours a day to make more 100 dollar bills.

I know I've been saying this forever, but I really do think a major crash that will dwarf the 2008 one will probably happen towards the end of this decade. Just in time for the 100th anniversary of the Great Depression. What a fitting tribute.

Post #391127  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 am 

I recall seeing us linked to him before. Looks a decent fullback.

Post #391128  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Our system doesn’t work like that. Our wingers are both inverted which requires them being able to lay the ball off to either 8 inside with their strongest foot. Swap the wingers and it involves a harder pass that’s less slick with the weaker foot that’s easier to get wrong. Everything is thought out with Arteta. Supreme control. I recall an interview with a defender I think it might have been Holding who said when the full back receives the ball from a keeper he has only 3 passes he’s allowed to play by the manager. It’s not like a kick about where the players have freedom of choice to roam everything is choreographed and controlled.

But that strict regime is also the problem. It is too easy for others to identify this and try and control the system. For me this was highlighted in the European games. The fact we failed to beat Porto in normal time in either game nor Bayern in both games was because they knew what to expect and played to nullify us and create themselves. After all both Porto and Bayern finished third in their respective leagues. They weren’t really that good.

It’s not a problem. The system is the reason why we succeed and our defence is so good. Porto and Bayern were good teams. The real problem with Bayern was we got caught in the first half at home. It happens in knockout games. Chuck in some weak goalkeeping in both games too and it doesn’t help

Post #391129  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
But that strict regime is also the problem. It is too easy for others to identify this and try and control the system. For me this was highlighted in the European games. The fact we failed to beat Porto in normal time in either game nor Bayern in both games was because they knew what to expect and played to nullify us and create themselves. After all both Porto and Bayern finished third in their respective leagues. They weren’t really that good.

It’s not a problem. The system is the reason why we succeed and our defence is so good. Porto and Bayern were good teams. The real problem with Bayern was we got caught in the first half at home. It happens in knockout games. Chuck in some weak goalkeeping in both games too and it doesn’t help

In those big European games I feel we still lack the player who scores out of nothing, the individual moment which defies the brilliance of the system. We don’t score many individual goals in comparison with the best European teams.

Post #391130  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:52 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In those big European games I feel we still lack the player who scores out of nothing, the individual moment which defies the brilliance of the system. We don’t score many individual goals in comparison with the best European teams.

That’s a fair enough comment but Bayern didn’t win the tie because they did. Their goals were a weak penalty in my opinion, we got caught on the break (keeper should have came) and kimmich got on the end of a ball chucked into the box. In my opinion the 2 goals we scored in the tie were actually more individual than theirs.

Post #391131  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:07 am 

I don't think anything can happen before June 30th, is it? But the Isak to Arsenal rumors are picking up again.

Post #391132  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:14 am 

Carragher: 'I would put Jurgen Klopp above Arsene Wenger. Klopp won the Champions League & got to another three finals in his career. Wenger got to one final. Wenger was a genius competing with Utd with less money, but when Chelsea came they couldn’t compete. Klopp has competed with City/United/Chelsea all spending a billion quid!!!'

Attachments:

Post #391133  Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:15 am 

“[Jurgen] Klopp unbelievable how he transformed Liverpool but Arsene’s [Wenger] legacy in the Premier League is second to none. Sorry Jamie but you are miles off it, please don’t be so biased and respect Arsene and what he done over a longer period, including leading the only team in the Premier League to be invincible.

“Everyone appreciates what Pep [Guardiola] has done and changed the way we see football in this country but don’t forget AW had a similar effect when he came in 96! You know that era better than me and witnessed it so let’s not forget that!” - Jack Wilshere

[ 391133 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9775, 9776, 9777, 9778, 9779