Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 36 guests

Post #318001  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

‘Twas a poor attempt at a joke Pete.

Is that $NZ? So he won about £1.12p? :7laughter:

:laughing7: I think having that same 1.12

... is better than having to offer three coracles , an eel trap and six bags of leeks to pay for a day trip to Tenby for you and the missus .... boyo .

It’s 7 bags of leeks now, the robbing barstewards.

Oh, and I only take the girlfriend to Tenby. :58big-emoticons:

Post #318002  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Congratulations to Pool!

so lucky for us, the Sperts did not win it

Last night was really unusual for me. A cup final I actually wanted Liverpool to win. I actually felt dirty wanting Liverpool to win but at least now I can get back to routinely wanting them to lose.

Glad it was a dire match. Doubt many new fans would go to either club after a game as boring as that.

Post #318003  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

You’ve mentioned them a couple of times now dec - have you got some inside info?

No I don't John. It's hard not to look at it without a suspicious eye though. Liverpool press harder than any other team. They have been almost injury free and you have a guy like Milner covering every corner of the pitch.

Your probably right that that its going on somewhere. The performance of Russia st the last world cup is a case in point. There must be other Rodchenkovs that havent been caught.

Post #318004  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:53 am 

RIP Antonio Reyes. Am I correct in thinking that he is the first of the invincibles to leave us.

Post #318005  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
How many times do Tottenham players dive?, yet no one seems to mention it?, very curious...

Danny Rose has actually taken over from Kane, son and alli as the worst of the bunch.

I’m worried spurs will realise they can really cash in on Eriksen this summer. He’s pretty inconsistent at the moment (I’d take him over Özil don’t get me wrong) but if Real came in with a £80-100m bid they should sell Eriksen in a heartbeat. Only 1 year left on his deal, I would back Poch to spend that money well and create a better squad

Post #318006  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 am 

https://sincespurslastwonatrophy.co.uk

I know they’re better than us right now but it is worth remembering this amongst all the praise spurs get

Post #318007  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 am 

Ash wrote:
Glen Hoddle - 'Spurs were the better team' :1cry:

They were.

Post #318008  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:42 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
...People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.
Don't know about you, but I have always felt powerless as a football supporter, for the simple reason that I am. In my time following Arsenal I never had a single call from George Swindin, Billy Wright, Bertie Mee, Don Howe, Terry Neill, George Graham, Bruce Rioch or Arsene, seeking my input. It is a disgrace, but I reluctantly live with it.

Post #318009  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am 

Goonie wrote:
...Do or die for Emery anyway next season - he might as well go all out and do things his way.
Yes, he s our guy, and until he is not we have to get behind him. Objectively his first season was no disaster. Some missed opportunities, but European qualification and a cup final appearance, is worthy of some trust. For now.

Post #318010  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
RIP Antonio Reyes. Am I correct in thinking that he is the first of the invincibles to leave us.
Yes, though I think Sol Campbell once died at half-time only to be later resuscitated.

Post #318011  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Ash wrote:
Glen Hoddle - 'Spurs were the better team' :1cry:

They were.
I agree. They were just the better of two tired teams, yet missed a good opportunity last night. Having been sparkling all season Liverpool were bang average and got away with it. The dreadful penalty decision seemed to freeze the game.

Post #318012  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 am 

They shouldn't have been in the final, they only got there because of VAR which for the last 50+ years of the 'European cup' was not in place, they got extremely lucky against Ajax as well, scoring on 96', this isn't even me being a biased gooner, objectively speaking they were very lucky to get there.

As for fans being powerless, this is a total myth, fans have all the power - walk away if you disagree with what the club is doing, there is always the excuse that someone else will come along and fill your seat, but that is just that - an excuse.

Tourists might have filled the ground whilst we were a CL team but now we are a full on Europa league club I don't think they'll be queuing up round the block to see us play Torpedo Moscow or FC Qarabag..

Post #318013  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Was thinking of Arsenal players I've seen play for us in a competitive first team game who have now died. In alphabetical order I can think of: George Armstrong, Alan Ball, Tommy Caton, Jose Antonio Reyes, John Roberts, Dave Rocastle, Paul Vaessen.

Have I forgotten any?

Post #318014  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:52 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
They were.
I agree. They were just the better of two tired teams, yet missed a good opportunity last night. Having been sparkling all season Liverpool were bang average and got away with it. The dreadful penalty decision seemed to freeze the game.

Spurs were the better of two poor teams and Liverpool were there for the taking.

It was a club-defining opportunity, to lift the CL would have catapulted Spurs onto a new global level.

Thank goodness they did an Arsenal and bottled it.

Having said that I thought the pen was soft and thankfully they didn't really get the run of the ball at key moments.

Allisson gave an assured goalkeeping display, catching when he needed to catch and parrying or punching it well out of the danger area when required. His distribution was excellent as well.

Post #318015  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:49 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
...People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.
Don't know about you, but I have always felt powerless as a football supporter, for the simple reason that I am. In my time following Arsenal I never had a single call from George Swindin, Billy Wright, Bertie Mee, Don Howe, Terry Neill, George Graham, Bruce Rioch or Arsene, seeking my input. It is a disgrace, but I reluctantly live with it.

Well I know you weren’t going to speak up against Wenger but others did. But ultimately it made a difference. If people don’t even speak up on forums against Kroenke and players failing to put in effort then nothing will change. We may feel powerless and probably over here more than those in the uk but make no mistake clever organisations monitor the media. Whether we are clever as a business only time will tell. Spare seats also tell. Let’s see what happens in the transfer market as to whether there will even a little change next season.

Post #318016  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Spurs were the better of two poor teams and Liverpool were there for the taking.

It was a club-defining opportunity, to lift the CL would have catapulted Spurs onto a new global level.

Thank goodness they did an Arsenal and bottled it.

Having said that I thought the pen was soft and thankfully they didn't really get the run of the ball at key moments.

Allisson gave an assured goalkeeping display, catching when he needed to catch and parrying or punching it well out of the danger area when required. His distribution was excellent as well.

Dreadful spectacle last night. I thought VVD and Allisson were what made the difference. A couple of good saves from the GK at crucial times and a really solid central defence performance with a few timely interceptions and challenges from the CB. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Agree that Liverpool were poor and that the Shite could have taken them. Massive error from Poch to play Kane who was clearly not ready for the game and did not even get a chance to fall over in the box.

Also agree it was a club defining game and thank god for us they did not take their chance. Still plenty of catching up for The Arsenal to do.

Let's hope for some carefully invested funds in the playing staff and some shipping out of those who are clearly not up to the task. Bring on the kids to fill in the squad places and go for a much stronger defence minded summer window.

Post #318017  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm 

Thinking on Reyes

People have written on here he could have been as good as Ronaldo. I absolutely agree. His ceiling was definitely as high the only thing was he seemed to lack self confidence that Ronaldo has in abundance and he couldn’t adapt to life in England. If he could have mastered that he would have been one of the greats. For me he was another superb Wenger signing

I read he crashed his Mercedes Brabus at 120 miles per hour. I’ve always owned fast motors and last week bought an AMG Merc and there is something wrong about the car in as much as in its sports mode it seems to want to drive at insane speeds feels uncomfortable just as a run around and you have to be really careful with the power at your disposal.

Genuine sadness at his passing but when I heard for some reason I wasn’t shocked. Sometimes there’s something about some characters psyche or aura where they are on the edge. Reyes seemed like that. Anyway I hope he rests in peace

Post #318018  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:14 pm 

Bayern put Jerome Boateng up for sale for £20m. He’s 30. Would you go for him?
I want young signings.....but if the club bought Sokratis for £20m as more of a short term signing to ‘try’ to add some experience and stability then Boateng is better

Post #318019  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
I want young signings.....but if the club bought Sokratis for £20m as more of a short term signing to ‘try’ to add some experience and stability then Boateng is better

Absolutely
Unless, there are question marks over his fitness, he would be an excellent signing. If we did nothing this summer but sign good defenders, I would be ok with it, despite the fact that we need improvement elsewhere too. I've said it before, but I'd push the boat out for Declan Rice. Can play centreback and midfield and if he turns out to be the real deal, he could transform us.

Post #318020  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

Terry Neill did phone me up to ask me to go in and meet him. I'd written a letter to him and as I wasn't ex-directory in those days, he was able to get my phone number and call me.

Post #318021  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

I don’t think we should be signing many more players in that age bracket right now.

I think we need to look to the future

Post #318022  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:15 pm 

I was obviously very relieved when Liverpool beat Sperz last night, but now the dust has settled a bit, i'm a bit jealous that Arsenal seem far away from appearing in the CL, never mind actually being in the final. I don't even like the CL thanks to Wenger's Arsenal being spectacularly non competitive despite being in it for 20+ years. But seeing all those Liverpool fans having a big old party in Madrid makes me a but sad for the drift we've experienced over the last 10 years or so...

At what point do we as supporters start actively campaigning for the removal of our couldntgiveatoss owner?

Post #318023  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Terry Neill did phone me up to ask me to go in and meet him. I'd written a letter to him and as I wasn't ex-directory in those days, he was able to get my phone number and call me.

I think you've mentioned that before, Bernard. It's just brilliant. Sone contrast with today's players and managers.

Post #318024  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm 

Bored wrote:
I was obviously very relieved when Liverpool beat Sperz last night, but now the dust has settled a bit, i'm a bit jealous that Arsenal seem far away from appearing in the CL, never mind actually being in the final. I don't even like the CL thanks to Wenger's Arsenal being spectacularly non competitive despite being in it for 20+ years. But seeing all those Liverpool fans having a big old party in Madrid makes me a but sad for the drift we've experienced over the last 10 years or so...

At what point do we as supporters start actively campaigning for the removal of our couldntgiveatoss owner?

A few weeks into the season I said we would see Kroenke our protests within 2 years, pretty much still think this.

I felt exactly the same watching that game last night. Were years away from those two teams. Kroenke let Wenger run us adrift and there’s now no money or value in the squad to rebuild either. Next year will bring the end of emery and the realisation will set in about where we actually are as a club and that pro and cons of a managers approach are irrelevant

Post #318025  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Did you go and see him?

I wrote to GG in about 1986 to give him some advice about who to sign. At the time Brady was coming back to the UK and I wanted Arsenal to sign him. George was very polite in his reply and gave me a considered argument as to why it was not the right thing to do. He did talk about a new generation of young players and how he did not want to stifle their progress. He was right.

Post #318026  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:37 pm 

Rich wrote:

Too old and no resale value. Also wages probably too high and I bet he is not hungry enough. I want players with something to prove who are at the start of their career and are on the way up, not on the way down.

Post #318027  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm 

I must be in a minority of one but let’s get this right, that was sp**s 20th defeat of the season, if they had fluked a win last night they’d have been the weakest team to get their hands on the trophy since Mourinho’s cheating Porto outfit. The way they and Potch have been lauded is quite bizarre.

Post #318028  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
I must be in a minority of one but let’s get this right, that was sp**s 20th defeat of the season, if they had fluked a win last night they’d have been the weakest team to get their hands on the trophy since Mourinho’s cheating Porto outfit. The way they and Potch have been lauded is quite bizarre.

I agree. I've been stunned by all the 'Tottenham were the better team' type of stuff that's been coming out. They had plenty of possession but what did they do with it? It was like watching us towards the end of Wenger's time with a 'let's pass it around amongst ourselves rather than try to score' attitude.

A dismally boring game between two teams way below their best. But of the two, I always thought Liverpool were more likely to score than Tottenham.

Post #318029  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Did you go and see him?

I wrote to GG in about 1986 to give him some advice about who to sign. At the time Brady was coming back to the UK and I wanted Arsenal to sign him. George was very polite in his reply and gave me a considered argument as to why it was not the right thing to do. He did talk about a new generation of young players and how he did not want to stifle their progress. He was right.

Yes I did. It was Brady I'd written to Terry Neill about too. I remember one of the things he asked me was who I'd like him to sign. I said Steve Williams. He said words to the effect of no, because he's a nasty bit of work.

The reason he gave was that Southampton used to invite local school teams to their training ground to play their first team. Apparently Steve did everything he could to not only beat them but not let them score. The other Southampton players were comfortable with letting the school kids keep the ball a bit and score.

I thought it showed Steve had a winning attitude. I'm also glad Don Howe clearly thought differently to Terry.

Post #318030  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:25 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:

You are right but its probably because they are so laughably unsuccesful for a so called big club, that there improvement as a team seems like a giant leap forward, even though they havent won anything of significance for 50+ years (not withstanding the Sun International Challenge Trophy (Swaziland) Winners 1983. which incredibly they have listed on their official site as honours they have won!).

Post #318031  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 am 

6 european cups for Liverpool. Amazing. I didnt think it was handball but whatever.

Our match went as I expected hence my negativity prior. I had hoped I was wrong but it was plainly obvious during the last month or so of the season we can't win when needed.

I dont expect things to get better.

I saw Morinho and Wenger as pund8ts together and it was a bit surreal. Both men humbled so not as caustic.

Fabregas and Giroud both respectful to Arsenal. I thought Giroud was great off the bench for us prior to him being sent to Chensea. We could have used him in the run for 4th. The only reason why Fabregas wasn't brought back was the same reason Anelka could never come back. Wenger put his petti ess and hurt feelings over what the club needed. Jis so called rule over sold olayers not coming back miraculously forgottet n for Henry because Wenger decided when Henry left.

Emery has his job cut out for him. As far as the final Stan felt his son represented the family. Whatever his real reasons are for not attending his son made it. It would be a bad look if no one made it. My guess it was too long and difficult to get to the final. Unlike just one long trip to London or any European major city.

For the first time I dont think I will be excited about the upcoming season.

Post #318032  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:43 am 

My fear is we become a club like Palace or West Ham wtc where we are constantly changing managers.

Arsenal fans are unrealistic. The expectations of Emery considering everything was unrealistic and we will quickly lose any repuation of being urbane, intelligent fans.

I see a dark period. Hopefully, I'm wrong. A lot of fans think our place in the football workd is bigger than it really is.

Post #318033  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
They shouldn't have been in the final, they only got there because of VAR which for the last 50+ years of the 'European cup' was not in place, they got extremely lucky against Ajax as well, scoring on 96', this isn't even me being a biased gooner, objectively speaking they were very lucky to get there.

As for fans being powerless, this is a total myth, fans have all the power - walk away if you disagree with what the club is doing, there is always the excuse that someone else will come along and fill your seat, but that is just that - an excuse.

Tourists might have filled the ground whilst we were a CL team but now we are a full on Europa league club I don't think they'll be queuing up round the block to see us play Torpedo Moscow or FC Qarabag..

Your second paragraph missed the point. Of course the consumer ultimately potentially has all the power. If we all went on a general strike tomorrow we could resolve all the world's ills. However, we never have and never will.

Post #318034  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:00 am 

lomekian wrote:
Ash wrote:
Things, in isolation, I’m looking forward to next season - although maybe I’ve been Stockholmed:

Torreira’s second season - If he can get some consistently around him and maintain the level he started at for a bit longer he’s still a fantastic prospect

Nelson playing some games - hopefully some actual pace and confidence to try something out wide - but really just want to see how he matches up to his reputation coming through the academy.

Guendouzis second season - he lacked pace, end product and physicality under pressure but I was trying to work out what his actual strengths are and he does use the ball really well and if I could bottle his confidence and inject it into the rest of the squad I would. He does that deep through ball with perfect pace on the pass. He’ll be developing his physicality and hopefully add some end product into his game. And increasing his value so there’s that also.

Think that’s about it. Minor nods to Nketiah and Saka getting some playing time, personably I think Nketiah looks sharp and a goal threat, and Saka I just wish we’d seen more of. Bielik being in the squad - mostly because he’s huge and did well on loan which is what was asked of him. Chambers adding a body or if we sell him some money.

I agree. I'm at the stage with this squad where if we aren't going to compete, we may as well George Graham it and force out the high earners and try to build a core from the youth team. At worst they'll not be up to it and raise us a few quid in sales while the money saved in wages helps out transfer budget going forwards. Personally I'd spend all the summer dosh on defensive upgrades, maybe try to pick up a bosman signing or two, and have all our kids as regular bench options.

For me Nelson, Guendouzi, AMN, Holding, Bellerin and Torreira all have a good chance at this level. Nketiah & Willock have shown enough to get more exposure, and we need to give John-Jules, Amaeichi and Saka a pathway to prevent them leaving for Germany. Plus even below them we have some kids excelling at youth level, not to mention Bielik, Chambers, Medley and one or two others who should get a look in during cups and the EL group stage.

I agree, Lom. It may be a case of use them or lose them with some of the outstanding youth prospects who are being courted by clubs in Germany.

Bielik did well at Charlton and is technically excellent and a big lump as well. Whether he has the mobility and sharpness required of a PL player is hard to tell.

There are reports that we are targeting some young south americans and I can completely see the logic in that. Whether we can beat others to their signatures given our budget and other considerations is another matter.

Post #318035  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thinking on Reyes

People have written on here he could have been as good as Ronaldo. I absolutely agree. His ceiling was definitely as high the only thing was he seemed to lack self confidence that Ronaldo has in abundance and he couldn’t adapt to life in England. If he could have mastered that he would have been one of the greats. For me he was another superb Wenger signing

I read he crashed his Mercedes Brabus at 120 miles per hour. I’ve always owned fast motors and last week bought an AMG Merc and there is something wrong about the car in as much as in its sports mode it seems to want to drive at insane speeds feels uncomfortable just as a run around and you have to be really careful with the power at your disposal.

Genuine sadness at his passing but when I heard for some reason I wasn’t shocked. Sometimes there’s something about some characters psyche or aura where they are on the edge. Reyes seemed like that. Anyway I hope he rests in peace

I think an advantage that Ronaldo had was his height and once he filled out his tall frame he was always going to be a handful for defenders both technically and physically.

He was also mentally tough with, by all accounts, an incredible work ethic and desire to improve. Reyes seemed much more introverted and found it difficult to settle outside of Spain.

Post #318036  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:19 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Funny enough I had a call from Arsene once. He said he'd been reading my thoughts on Mertesacker on the Steve Gleiber Forum and said I was spot-on, he is a big useless lump and anyone who disagrees clearly know nothing about defenders. :laughing7:

Post #318037  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:29 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Not to mention they were 5-10 minutes from being eliminated on matchday 4, 5 and 6 of the group stage. The quirk of the fixture list helped them massively in that they got to play a Barca B who had already qualified and snatched a late draw from them.
They comfortably beat Dortmund in terms of the score but anyone who watched the first half in Germany can tell you they were also very lucky not to be 4-0 down at that point.
Spurs would have been a very weak European Champions, and Liverpool are nowhere near the great European Champion sides we've had recently. Peak Barca, Madrid and Man U would have beaten them.

Post #318038  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Did you go and see him?

Well sugar ... aren't we all just little name droppers ... :laughing7:

I wrote to Bertie Mee said I was from NZ ..... asking if I could look around the ground .

He wrote back lovely letter said they were fully booked from Sept through to Xmas but " if suitable to my good self " I could join an existing tour party . Oct 1 1975 10.30 am .

"Perhaps I would be kind enough to let him have my views on this suggestion ".

B**&%%##d oil rig called me back two days before I could take up his offer .

Wrote back apologising ; enclosed a hankerchief / tie set for his trouble

Also wrote to Brian Moore got a lovely letter from him as well .

Post #318039  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 am 

Don’t expect many posts in here over the next few days as ever Brit tips their hat and takes in the sage advice from Donald Trump. Perhaps he can sort out the state of our club on this visit. Such a helpful man who is not guided by self interest.

Post #318040  Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 am 

I was a big fan of Reyes. He had a powerful kick with hardly any back kick to it.
The elephant in the room is if Henry..possibly out of jealousy about his reception by fans, made him feel unwelcome. Only they know.

He was also a decent passer as well. I am still angry about the kicking he got from Man Utd mainly out fear he would do them what he did to Chelsea and the referee not protecting him. Sad news about his passing on.

[ 391425 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7948, 7949, 7950, 7951, 7952, 7953, 7954 ... 9786  Next