Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 58 guests

Post #306401  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm 

Is this Emery appointment a done deal? Arteta was supposed to be. And going back so was Johann Cryuff.

Post #306402  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 pm 

socrates wrote:
All rather odd. Suggestions Arteta withdrew due to a limited transfer budget among other things.

Not sure what to make of it really.

Emery is a proper manager but if we have a very limited budget then its hard to see how he can work miracles. Get the back four organised, instil some discipline and tactical nous and add a couple of Sven's diamond eye signings to the mix.

It’s an odd one isn’t it. Can’t see Arteta turning down a managers role and 6m salary to stay as third coach at city over transfer budget. I think the club had second thoughts.

Personally I’m glad, I thought the Arteta appointment had all the makings of a disaster but I don’t know much about this new guy.

Post #306403  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm 

Does anybody know anything about this new guy Emery. What formation he plays etc

Post #306404  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm 

socrates wrote:
Can we assume he will be bringing Neymar with him?

Straight swap with Welbeck.

Post #306405  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:
Can we assume he will be bringing Neymar with him?

Surely Neymar + cash?

Post #306406  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm 

Sounds like the club is distancing itself as far as possible from the one man band operation. Listening to what’s being said it sounds like they are wanting someone to fit in and work with the recently installed management team.

Post #306407  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 pm 

SSN confirming deal done and he will be appointed later this week.

Onward and upward......................

Post #306408  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Surely Neymar + cash?

They might push the boat out and throw in Mbappe and Veratti if we give them Iwobi too.

Post #306409  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:40 pm 

socrates wrote:
All rather odd. Suggestions Arteta withdrew due to a limited transfer budget among other things.

Don't think we should give much credence to rumours like this. It's one thing if a few journalists received word that Emery was our guy, but all of these reports about the inner workings of the process and what the club thought about different candidates is surely speculative at best.

Post #306410  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 pm 

Juan Carlos Carcedo Mardones Is Emery’s Assistant at every club he’s worked out. Seen a few people say Juan Carlos spends all game shouting at the team!

Post #306411  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
thofman wrote:
Europa League and last 16 of EL with a 'big' club... ah, the glory days of an annual lesson from Milan/Barcelona/Munich beckon again.

That would be the Milan who aren’t qualifying for the Champions League would it? :1laughter:

That would be them. Which is not to say they won't be back in it by the time Arsenal get there again. Finished sixth in their league. Sound familiar?

Post #306412  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Does anybody know anything about this new guy Emery. What formation he plays etc

Read a bit saying he plays 4-2-3-1 or derivative of 4-3-3 with a high press

Post #306413  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:56 pm 

thofman wrote:
That would be them. Which is not to say they won't be back in it by the time Arsenal get there again. Finished sixth in their league. Sound familiar?

I’ve been concerned that by the time that we get back in it the world will have moved on with it being replaced by the proposed World Club Cup (invitees only).

Post #306414  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:10 pm 

John wrote:
I give him 6 months. I think he'll fail miserably.

What makes you say that ?

Post #306415  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Sounds like the club is distancing itself as far as possible from the one man band operation. Listening to what’s being said it sounds like they are wanting someone to fit in and work with the recently installed management team.

We all complained about Arsene having to much power but by the same token I don't think having Gazidis and the two unpronouncables making decisions on who to buy is such a great idea either , buying people before a new coach is installed seems a bit stupid .

Don't know anything about Emery but he is Spanish and won his three Europa's with a Spanish side .... so on home soil

I was underwhelmed when Arteta was first mooted but I warmed to the idea , and with his Premier League experience I'd have preferred him .

With Emery , Juan Carlos , Gazidis , Mislintat , Sanllehi all throwing their two cents worth in ...... this has the makings of a giant sized balls up .

Post #306416  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:24 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
With Emery , Juan Carlos , Gazidis , Mislintat , Sanllehi all throwing their two cents worth in ...... this has the makings of a giant sized balls up .

Well that’s poured cold water over it all then.

For no particular good reason I was quite warming to the idea and feeling that it was a better appointment (in that it is someone with a track record and ‘gravitas’).

Ah well. Back to doom and gloom again. :20hospitals:

Post #306417  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm 

John wrote:
Apparently he understands English better than he speaks it. Might as well hire a Scotsman.

It worked for United.

Post #306418  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 pm 

I officially approve of Unai Emery as manager. Now that, that is settled. :icon_mrgreen:
How is his English?

Post #306419  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 pm 

Just as I was resigned to having to back Arteta through gritted teeth , the emery curve ball arrived and like many i’m relieved and it all seems quite exciting and it looks like he is a hands on coach/ tactician which is a real buzz

He also looks a bit like Mick jones in the clash “combat Rock” period

Post #306420  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 pm 

Wow
What a turn up!!
I remember reading a mail from a fellow fan on football 365 singing the praises of Emery as an obvious candidate. I never thought of him before but once I did i thought that's not a bad shout. He did a great job at sevilla winning 3 Europa leagues in a row.
However he didnt seem to be on the shortlist.
Last 2 weeks it seemed it WAS Arteta and I was warming to the idea and waa right behind him.
Even with the rumours of us talking to Emery today it still seemed that the job was Arteta's.
So gobsmacked listening to talksport earlier that Emery was due to be appointed.
Didnt see that coming but Im very happy.
Its a good appointment. He is a good age with lots of experience and pedigree.
I just hope we didn't lead Arteta on.
Good choice but unreal because it seemed nailed on it was Arteta.

Post #306421  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 pm 

Unai knows... just doesn't have the same ring to it. Emery out... might catch on in time. Arsene to Arsenal, Emery to the Emirates... ok there's an official pun. It's all good.

Post #306422  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:43 pm 

At least the nickname is nailed on.

Post #306423  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Goonai?

Post #306424  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
thofman wrote:

I’ve been concerned that by the time that we get back in it the world will have moved on with it being replaced by the proposed World Club Cup (invitees only).

At least Trump will be history by the time we get back in.

Post #306425  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Well that’s poured cold water over it all then.

For no particular good reason I was quite warming to the idea and feeling that it was a better appointment (in that it is someone with a track record and ‘gravitas’).

Ah well. Back to doom and gloom again. :20hospitals:

:laughing7: Yeah well instead of salivating and w**ing on here ....... you can get back restringing the 'Pancho Gonzales' for the upcoming vets season .

Just thinking about it .... if I predict doom and gloom and it happens ; I can give it the big " I told you so " ..... if however we perform really well ... okay I was wrong but I'd be happy to be proven wrong .
Win win situation .

Post #306426  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 pm 

I will wait until I see an official announcement but seems ok. See how some of these players perform & if he can organise our defence. As for Arteta I would like to see him in another job first but I would like him to be considered in the future.

Post #306427  Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Should be quite an abrasive character with a surname like that .... Carborundum

Post #306428  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 am 

Good to know a known winner is linked as our manager. Arsenal, please just make the announcement as soon as you can.

Post #306429  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Is this Emery appointment a done deal? Arteta was supposed to be. And going back so was Johann Cryuff.

Just press F5 to refresh the web page and it'll be someone else ... :toothy9:

Post #306430  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 am 

BBC now have it as a done deal.

Post #306431  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 am 

Read this and thought Oh my God we've been here .....

"This meant that while PSG had a good amount of the ball, most of their possession occurred in the form of short passes in a midfield that lacked any type of depth or incisiveness."

but then read this ......

"Unai Emery does not control PSG’s transfer business, this is the job of Antero Henrique and Nasser Al-Khelaifi who both failed to provide their coach with a balanced squad."

and then this ........

His Sevilla side were a counter-attacking machine and one of the best recent proponents of the 4-2-3-1 system. Emery’s obsessive tactical nature was the perfect blend for the squad building genius of Monchi, who gave the Basque coach the raw materials to turn Sevilla into the team that won three straight European trophies. Sevilla at their best were a superb counter attacking team who showcased what a good manager can achieve with limited resources.

He's our sort of guy :9adore-boo: cheer up Long Time

Post #306432  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Probably know about the same amount as those insider contacts of yours who said it was definitely Arteta.

Post #306433  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:32 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Read this and thought Oh my God we've been here .....

"This meant that while PSG had a good amount of the ball, most of their possession occurred in the form of short passes in a midfield that lacked any type of depth or incisiveness."

but then read this ......

"Unai Emery does not control PSG’s transfer business, this is the job of Antero Henrique and Nasser Al-Khelaifi who both failed to provide their coach with a balanced squad."

and then this ........

His Sevilla side were a counter-attacking machine and one of the best recent proponents of the 4-2-3-1 system. Emery’s obsessive tactical nature was the perfect blend for the squad building genius of Monchi, who gave the Basque coach the raw materials to turn Sevilla into the team that won three straight European trophies. Sevilla at their best were a superb counter attacking team who showcased what a good manager can achieve with limited resources.

Might want to read this one though. Apparently when Sevilla were winning the Europa league they weren't doing very well in their own league.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/ars ... scepticism

Post #306434  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 am 

kiwipete wrote:

That’s good enough for me. :toothy9:

Post #306435  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Might want to read this one though. Apparently when Sevilla were winning the Europa league they weren't doing very well in their own league.

Damn. Kiwi’s induced euphoria hasn’t lasted long. Back to doom and gloom again in an instant :20hospitals:

Post #306436  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:31 am 

thofman wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Goonai?

Dick.
Not you thofman, his nickname :icon_mrgreen:

Post #306437  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 am 

grantyboy wrote:

You could probably pick holes in anyone, and everyone. I'm more optimistic about Emery than I was Arteta. For me the main benefit of Arteta was that he wasn't Wenger. While that's a significant advantage you could actually say the same about Jack the Ripper and despite the countless theories we don't even know who that was. Moreover, whoever it was, will be dead by now.

Okay disregarding the surely now absolutely impossible to get Guardiola I'd rather have had someone like the virtually impossible to get Simeone, Pochetinno, Klopp, Low and no doubt one or two others who have slipped my mind. Yet from the more realistic candidates, Emery strikes me as an interesting appointment.

Post #306438  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Damn. Kiwi’s induced euphoria hasn’t lasted long. Back to doom and gloom again in an instant :20hospitals:

More positive view here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... psg-neymar

I’m actually quite baffled about the negativity surrounding these news when looking around the net. This forum seems like a beacon of sanity in comparison. People are talking about how we stabbed Arteta in the back or strung him along (in the words of Ian Wright) – now I was all for us hiring Arteta, but talking as if we owe him the manager job just because we talked to him about it is beyond ridiculous. Seems like a completely normal process to me; you have a vacant position, you interview a couple of different candidates. Arteta was probably one of the front runners but in the end they went for the more experienced Emery. That’s pretty much how these things are done, I’d say.

Then there’s the people calling this a desperate gamble. Compared to what, exactly? What manager would not be a bit of a gamble? Looking at the most popular names, Allegri has never coached outside of Italy, Jardim has never coached in one of the big leagues and Löw has (I think) never won a title with a club side. There are uncertain factors about all of them. This is a process that pretty much every team on the planet struggle with. You could argue that both Liverpool, City and Tottenham have found the right man now, but look at some of the names that came before them.

Considering all this, it just feels like madness to slam the club or the new manager before he’s even been officially appointed. We have no idea about his ideas for the club and how he wants the team to play. We all wanted the change, so let’s just roll with it.

Post #306439  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Now that, that is settled. How is his English?

Irony emoji.

Post #306440  Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 am 

Very disappointed in Emery so far. When oh when why oh why. Emery Out.

[ 391343 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7658, 7659, 7660, 7661, 7662, 7663, 7664 ... 9784  Next