Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 31 guests

Post #305481  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 am 

...meant hate RM and BM way more than LFC. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #305482  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:45 am 

Isn't Wenger already the world's highest paid manager?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arsene-wen ... 29558.html
Arsene Wenger confirms what he plans to do after leaving Arsenal this summer

Arsene Wenger has revealed he needs some time away from football before deciding his next move after stepping down from the Arsenal job.

Wenger is leaving the Gunners after 22 years in the summer following supporter unrest at the Emirates Stadium this season.

The Frenchman’s farewell tour continued at the weekend as Manchester United inflicted another defeat on Arsenal in his final appearance at Old Trafford.

He is understood to have an offer on the table from the Chinese Super League to become the highest-paid manager in world football.

But Wenger told French television station SFR he wants a chance to weigh up all his options when the clock has finally ticked down on his time in north London.

Post #305483  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Isn't Wenger already the world's highest paid manager?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arsene-wen ... 29558.html
Arsene Wenger confirms what he plans to do after leaving Arsenal this summer

Arsene Wenger has revealed he needs some time away from football before deciding his next move after stepping down from the Arsenal job.

Wenger is leaving the Gunners after 22 years in the summer following supporter unrest at the Emirates Stadium this season.

The Frenchman’s farewell tour continued at the weekend as Manchester United inflicted another defeat on Arsenal in his final appearance at Old Trafford.

He is understood to have an offer on the table from the Chinese Super League to become the highest-paid manager in world football.

But Wenger told French television station SFR he wants a chance to weigh up all his options when the clock has finally ticked down on his time in north London.

Marcello Lippi earns £460,000 per week so is on more than Guardiola (and Wenger)

Post #305484  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:29 am 

I suspect any announcement about new managers will likely happen after.....
- Getting knocked out of the EL and the last home game against Burnley
Or
- After the EL final.

The board could of course wait until the end of the season which would be typical of Arsenal to leave it to the last minute and give the new manager no time with any players before they disappear to International duty.

Post #305485  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:
Somebody forgot Roma.

I am like you and don't think that tie is done and dusted.

No it isn't.

Post #305486  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Somebody forgot Roma.

I think Roma fans have forgotten about them at this stage. lol.

Er.....not if you're an Ultra.

Post #305487  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 am 

Zed wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am like you and don't think that tie is done and dusted.

No it isn't.

I can see Liverpool losing 4-1 or 3-0

Post #305488  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:
A better more contemporary pic.

From Le Professeur to Professor Snape. Why not.

Why not indeed.

Attachments:
severus_snape.jpg
severus_snape.jpg [ 28.43 KB | Viewed 9611 times ]

Post #305489  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Zed wrote:
Er.....not if you're an Ultra.

Don't have to be an Ultra.
Every Nonna in Rome believes they'll win tonight as well.

I'm looking forward to this match. Should be intense.

Post #305490  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:
No it isn't.

Roma will be up for it. But so will Salah. Could go either way.

Post #305491  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm 

Zed wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Roma performed a footballing miracle in the last round but can't see lightning striking twice. Hope they score the first goal which would make it interesting at least.

Post #305492  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm 

0-1 I think that's that - in under 10 mins.

Post #305493  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
0-1 I think that's that - in under 10 mins.

Roma couldn’t afford to make a mistake, they made an horrific one inside 10 mins. Left Liverpool running 3v2.

Post #305494  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Roma performed a footballing miracle in the last round but can't see lightning striking twice. Hope they score the first goal which would make it interesting at least.

That was really down to Barca whose approach was shocking in that match. They made no effort to attack until they were in trouble. Bizarre approach for a team with Messi and Suarez.

Post #305495  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:50 pm 

Roma is done and dusted and it shouldn't be a surprise. If Liverpool were playing one of the European elites, maybe. But Roma? Nah.

Post #305496  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm 

Roma are still giving it a go. 2-2. And just now I think they should have a pen. Looked like a certain handball that stopped what seemed like a goal bound shot from 4 yards. Arnold’s hand is up near his head and the ball hits it and goes over the bar, without the hand the ball is in the net.

Post #305497  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 pm 

Liverpool Madrid should make for an entertaining final with a few goals. On current form Liverpool have every chance.

Post #305498  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

That was really down to Barca whose approach was shocking in that match. They made no effort to attack until they were in trouble. Bizarre approach for a team with Messi and Suarez.

Yes it was strange. You can only think they got complacent and thought they'd won already, very unprofessional.

Post #305499  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:24 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

Yes it was strange. You can only think they got complacent and thought they'd won already, very unprofessional.

That's exactly what it was. It was arrogance too. Very odd considering how relentless they have been in La Liga.

Post #305500  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Liverpool Madrid should make for an entertaining final with a few goals. On current form Liverpool have every chance.

Two worthy finalists but also the two of the most fortunate teams so far.

Roma have been denied two clear penalties in this game.

Post #305501  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
Roma are still giving it a go. 2-2. And just now I think they should have a pen. Looked like a certain handball that stopped what seemed like a goal bound shot from 4 yards. Arnold’s hand is up near his head and the ball hits it and goes over the bar, without the hand the ball is in the net.

Bayern were denied a blatant peno last night when Marcelo handled it. The refereeing is nearly as bad as the defending. The CL really has been poor this season.

Post #305502  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:53 pm 

Funny how last night the media were saying how Liverpool will be happy playing Real Madrid having seen their creaking defence. Well Liverpool concedes 6 goals to an over achieving but limited Roma team.
This final could end up 8-8

Post #305503  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 pm 

Hope Liverpool win the final. You make your own luck in life and they have never lacked belief unlike us

Post #305504  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 pm 

Just started watching the press conference for tomorrow’s game & given Ospina was at the conference & answering questions I expect he will play.

Post #305505  Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Can't believe that Liverpool were 5-0 up with less than 10 to go in the first leg and 1-0 up early tonight and were incredibly lucky to go through. Roma hit the woodwork twice and were denied two fairly bang on penalties before the dodgy one they were given in the 94th minute. Surely Liverpool can't fluke another European Cup? Great going forward, but their defence is poor.

I will have to watch the game. I was awake at 5.20am and turned on the tv - 2-1 to Liverpool and thought I was wrong about Liverpool being extended in the 2nd leg so went back to bed. Maybe should have watched it but need to be up before 5am tomorrow for us to defeat Atletico 2-1

Post #305506  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:14 am 

Easy peasy Liverpool. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #305507  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 am 

lomekian wrote:
Can't believe that Liverpool were 5-0 up with less than 10 to go in the first leg and 1-0 up early tonight and were incredibly lucky to go through. Roma hit the woodwork twice and were denied two fairly bang on penalties before the dodgy one they were given in the 94th minute. Surely Liverpool can't fluke another European Cup? Great going forward, but their defence is poor.

They were down 4-0 before halftime the last time they won the European cup. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #305508  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:11 am 

2-2 The Arsenal goes through the final. Wins it. New manager gets back in the CL because of it. Arsenal has a resurgence.

Post #305509  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 am 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/breaking-sk ... nal-176421

This would be a bold move.
It is being reported that Arsenal's head of recruitment Sven Mislintat wants Liverpool's assistant manager Zeljko Buvac to replace Arsene Wenger.

Mislintat is a former colleague of Buvac at Borussia Dortmund and Sky report he would like to implement a three-man structure incorporating himself, Buvac as head coach and Raul Sanllehi, Arsenal's head of football relations.

It comes after Buvac took a leave of absence from the Liverpool assistant manager role role for 'personal reasons' earlier this week.

The Sky News report comes after Pravda BL ran an exclusive story claiming everything was in place for Buvac to become manager at The Emirates.

Sven Mislintat worked as Dortmund's head scout throughout the time Buvac was assistant manager there to Klopp. Since Mislintat's arrival in January, the Gunners have also brought in former Dortmund players Henrikh Mkhitaryan (via Manchester United) and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Before his leave of absence, there had been reports of a rift between Klopp and Buvac, however Liverpool’s position is that he “remains an employee” and his absence will not affect that.

Zeljko is spending some time away from the first team environment, between now and the end of the season, for personal reasons,” the Liverpool said in a statement.

“The club considers the matter to be private and therefore will respect that privacy by not making any further comment.

“Zeljko remains a Liverpool employee and his position at the club is not affected by this absence.”

Post #305510  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am 

lomekian wrote:

Come on man, they weren’t lucky and they didn’t fluke anything. They wiped the floor with the best team in England in the quarter finals and were better than Roma in both games. They only thing that makes it look remotely close is that Roma got a horrible penalty in overtime, but even then they needed another goal to even tie it. If Liverpool had needed to push forward and score they could’ve done so, because as dodgy as their defense is, Roma’s was even worse.

Post #305511  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:52 am 

Hazuki wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Come on man, they weren’t lucky and they didn’t fluke anything. They wiped the floor with the best team in England in the quarter finals and were better than Roma in both games. They only thing that makes it look remotely close is that Roma got a horrible penalty in overtime, but even then they needed another goal to even tie it. If Liverpool had needed to push forward and score they could’ve done so, because as dodgy as their defense is, Roma’s was even worse.

Exactly.

Post #305512  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:57 am 

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Exactly.

It may be against the forums views but I hope they win it. Their football is often a joy to watch and I enjoy attacking football.

Post #305513  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
It may be against the forums views but I hope they win it. Their football is often a joy to watch and I enjoy attacking football.

I hope they win it too.

And I get why people on here don’t like them. I’m younger than most so I didn’t live through their days of dominance – dominating teams are always unlikeable. For me, I grew up watching Arsenal compete for the title every year with some of the best football England has seen, while my brother supported Liverpool who was a has been-club, generally hoping for the odd cup win and playing a sluggish, predictable brand of football. So I’ve always had some sympathy for them.

But even apart from that, I think they and Tottenham have set a standard for us to follow in terms of how you compete with richer clubs. They’ve built teams on a budget with some great signings and player development, they have good managers who play an enjoyable type of football, and they get good results. We should be able to do that and more, because we’re quite simply bigger than Tottenham, and have the London advantage over Liverpool.

Post #305514  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Exactly.

I'd rather them than Madrid. Despite their poor defence I think Klopp has done a great job in making them a very competitive outfit. Yeah they leak a few goals but they score a lot more. Unlike Arsenal of recent years, I'd say none of the top teams in England would be looking forward to playing them cos they're nearly always up for it. Real will be worried as well.

Post #305515  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 am 

The only way I'd want Liverpool to win a Champions League final is if they were playing Manchester United, Tottenham or Chelsea. So it's Real for me, even though I dislike them.

Post #305516  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Come on man, they weren’t lucky and they didn’t fluke anything. They wiped the floor with the best team in England in the quarter finals....

Not sure it was quite like that Haz. One of Liverpool's goals was clearly offside and City had a good goal disallowed. Liverpool were remarkably lucky with those two decisions which, if reversed, would have cast an entirely different light on the whole tie.

It's also worth remembering that the City coach - with all the players and staff on board - was utterly wrecked immediately pre-match by a sustained bombardment with an array of missiles. Think about that for a moment. Sure Liverpool started well but it's hardly surprising that City looked like rabbits caught in the headlights for the first half.

Post #305517  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:50 am 

DHD wrote:
Not sure it was quite like that Haz. One of Liverpool's goals was clearly offside and City had a good goal disallowed. Liverpool were remarkably lucky with those two decisions which, if reversed, would have cast an entirely different light on the whole tie.

Don't remember the offside goal, which one was that? And at the same time Liverpool should've had a free kick in the build up to the first City goal when Sterling took Van Dijk out of play. Don't think City can blame the tie on ref decisions, they simply didn't show up in that first game and it cost them.

Post #305518  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:

Don't remember the offside goal, which one was that? And at the same time Liverpool should've had a free kick in the build up to the first City goal when Sterling took Van Dijk out of play. Don't think City can blame the tie on ref decisions, they simply didn't show up in that first game and it cost them.

“Swedish meatballs originally Turkish dish: Swedish government”

A totally different gravy.

Post #305519  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:

Liverpool were the better team over the 2 legs with City but a lot of marginal calls went their way.

There were two offside calls in the first leg, a goal for Liverpool that was off and went for them and a goal for City that wasn't off but went against them. The thing with those two is they were so tight you can't blame the linesman that much for getting them wrong but they still both went Liverpool's way.

The more important two decisions in the tie were the penalty Sterling should have had for either being wiped out by Robertson or the Liverpool man handballing it whilst on the ground - that was at Anfield at 3-0. That away goal could have been big. Then also there was the Sane goal not given on the stroke of half time, given offside when the ball bounced off Milner. That would have been 2-0 City and 3-2 on aggregate with 45 mins to play.

Liverpool have been the better team in all their knock out ties but they have rode their luck. I don't want Liverpool to win the whole thing (mainly because their fans would be insufferable) but I have enjoyed the champions league this year, it seems the entertainment and attacking teams have prospered, none of this Mourinho guff of sitting on a 0-0 and nicking it in the second leg 1-0.

Post #305520  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I hope they win it too.

And I get why people on here don’t like them. I’m younger than most so I didn’t live through their days of dominance – dominating teams are always unlikeable. For me, I grew up watching Arsenal compete for the title every year with some of the best football England has seen, while my brother supported Liverpool who was a has been-club, generally hoping for the odd cup win and playing a sluggish, predictable brand of football. So I’ve always had some sympathy for them.

But even apart from that, I think they and Tottenham have set a standard for us to follow in terms of how you compete with richer clubs. They’ve built teams on a budget with some great signings and player development, they have good managers who play an enjoyable type of football, and they get good results. We should be able to do that and more, because we’re quite simply bigger than Tottenham, and have the London advantage over Liverpool.

I've always had a sneaking regard for Liverpool. It was hard not to be dazzled by their feats in the 1980s and to get caught up by their Gerrard-inspired underdog CL win. The attacking flair of the current lot is admirable. They have scored a ridiculous number of goals in the CL this season.

[ 391331 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7635, 7636, 7637, 7638, 7639, 7640, 7641 ... 9784  Next