Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 36 guests

Post #289121  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
I think we will get a better understanding of how Kroenke operates when Wenger goes. I suspect (and hope) that the current obfuscation around Wenger's contract is because the board is split on it. The rumour is that Gazidis wants him to go. We will know soon enough.

I'm not going to reveal who it is, but I've known of one director who has wanted Wenger our for quite some while - a matter of years. As you suggest, the strong rumours are that Gazidis has now come to that conclusion also. Kevin Whitcher, editor of The Gooner, has named another. So if Kevin's right about his one, that's three of them.

Who did Kevin mention ? Was it Sir Chips?

Post #289122  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I'm not going to reveal who it is, but I've known of one director who has wanted Wenger our for quite some while - a matter of years. As you suggest, the strong rumours are that Gazidis has now come to that conclusion also. Kevin Whitcher, editor of The Gooner, has named another. So if Kevin's right about his one, that's three of them.

No secret he mentioned it in the editorial after the city game

Post #289123  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:13 pm 

More pics from the lads on the banner tour yesterday , this time the city and south London group

Attachments:

Post #289124  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:36 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No secret he mentioned it in the editorial after the city game

Yes Top Gun. As Pete implied, Kevin named Keswick as wanting Wenger out.

Post #289125  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 am 

I assume Tottenham fans will conduct tbeir own version of St. Totteringham Day. Has it arrived? Are we statistically unable to catch them?

Its a surprise they arent top of the table if you look only at goals for and against. Only Liverpool with an extra match played has scored more. Their goals against is a stingy 22.

Its sobering looking at them. They will do well to hang on to their manager.

Post #289126  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ian Wright wants both Wenger and Kroenke out. So do I.

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/04/ian-wr ... m=facebook

Me too. Very tired with Wenger. Talks a lot of BS, but where is the improvement?

Post #289127  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I assume Tottenham fans will conduct tbeir own version of St. Totteringham Day. Has it arrived? Are we statistically unable to catch them?

Its a surprise they arent top of the table if you look only at goals for and against. Only Liverpool with an extra match played has scored more. Their goals against is a stingy 22.

Its sobering looking at them. They will do well to hang on to their manager.

There's a real possibility that day may be when we play them if they win , someone else can do the maths on that one it's too painful for me

Post #289128  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 am 

I'm not sure what I want to happen tonight. I still want us to finish top four but with our run-in that looks such a remote possibility now that I'm wondering if I'd be better off hoping we lose since the very great efforts of Pete and other protestors appear to have fallen on deaf ears and things need to get much much worse before the teflon manager is overthrown.

Post #289129  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 am 

:icon_mrgreen:
socrates wrote:
I'm not sure what I want to happen tonight. I still want us to finish top four but with our run-in that looks such a remote possibility now that I'm wondering if I'd be better off hoping we lose since the very great efforts of Pete and other protestors appear to have fallen on deaf ears and things need to get much much worse before the teflon manager is overthrown.

Look at it this way, were definitely not getting in the top 4 and I don't know about you but personally I couldn't care about the europa league. The worst place we can finish is 7th really which would be a nice short sharp shock for our French dicatator so my feeling is that I'm hoping for a boro win. Hopefully they've been practicing their set plays. Come on the teesiders !!

Post #289130  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:38 am 

socrates wrote:
Wow. Our run-in is an absolute nightmare. 5 away, only 3 at home.

Midd (A), Leic (A), Tott (A), Man U (H), Stoke (A), Everton (H), Southampton (A), Sund (H)

On current form we could lose three or four of those games. Infact, the only one I'd be confident of winning is Sunderland at home.

Is this your version of a 'pep talk' ?

Post #289131  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
There's a real possibility that day may be when we play them if they win , someone else can do the maths on that one it's too painful for me

Tottenham have 71 points from 32 games and Arsenal have 54 points from 30 games. If Arsenal win their remaining 8 games, the 24 points would give us a total of 78 points. That would mean Tottenham at most need another 8 points from their remaining 6 games to guarantee finishing above us. However, their goal difference is way better than ours so 7 points would surely be enough at the end of the season.

Realistically though, we won't win our final 8 games and every draw or defeat we have will lower the 8 points Tottenham currently need to be sure of finishing higher than us.

Been told by Tottenham fans I know that there's been some talk about what to call their equivalent of St Totteringham's Day. Some think it's too childish to give it a name like Arsenal fans did. The most popular amongst those who want to give it a name is St Arsewipe Day.

Post #289132  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:

Midd (A), Leic (A), Tott (A), Man U (H), Stoke (A), Everton (H), Southampton (A), Sund (H)

On current form we could lose three or four of those games. Infact, the only one I'd be confident of winning is Sunderland at home.

Is this your version of a 'pep talk' ?

It's not worse than what the team probably get before every game.

Don't worry about corners lads etc

Post #289133  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am 

socrates wrote:

Leicester is at home. I can see about 10 points maximum from that lot

Post #289134  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:18 am 

Another weird thing, last season I was desperate at the idea of Tottenham winning the league and watched their decisive game against Chelsea chewing my fist, now I'm not so bothered. They have a good, well-managed side, they have brightened up the PL this season and yada yada ancient hatreds, American Gooner etc, but I really don't care so much any more and dislike Chelsea far more as an institution. Was quite pleased United won yesterday.

I think we'll win tonight and that doesn't really bother me since it's now about 7th or 5th to which I'm totally indifferent. But I want us to lose any match that winning might make Wenger staying more likely (not that he seems to be influenced by results). I want to lose any match where doing so will prevent me ever hearing again the dreaded words of "mental strength" or, in fact, any of the vapid toss he currently throws out. I definitely want to go out of the cup against City and this will be the first NLD where I am not sick with worry at losing and don't really care either way. That's what it's *%^@*** come to. Plus, people say if Wenger went now everybody would rally around for the big genial goodbye. I definitely wouldn't, he's done so much damage in the last few months with his pathetic "retirement is death" antics that I would just close my eyes in relief and not really open them again until his successor arrived.

Post #289135  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Leicester is at home. I can see about 10 points maximum from that lot

I'd give us 14 points from that lot. Think we'll beat Boro, Sunderland, Everton and one other from the mid-table away games. Then a couple of draws.

Post #289136  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am 

dec wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
The top of the table gets a little interesting. Hope to god Chelsea hold on. Mourinho may end up getting into the top 4. He has a trophy under his belt already. Conte will win the manager of the year award, but if Mourinho gets top 4 he has an argument he should be.

Erm.....

Manager of the year for getting into the top 4? Wenger will be pissed that no one thought of that before.

Post #289137  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
AFC 16/17

Wage bill £200m
Net transfers £87

Spurs 16/17

Wage bill £121m
Net transfers £25m

AFC spent £141m more.

Tottenham have been really good in the transfer market for the last few years. They seem to get an awful lot of money for the players they sell. Their squad is still quite thin though.

Arsenal have out-spent Chelsea in the last 5 years. :sad5:

This is refreshing after all the complaints when we weren't spending.

Post #289138  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
AFC 16/17

Wage bill £200m
Net transfers £87

Spurs 16/17

Wage bill £121m
Net transfers £25m

AFC spent £141m more.

Tottenham have been really good in the transfer market for the last few years. They seem to get an awful lot of money for the players they sell. Their squad is still quite thin though.

Arsenal have out-spent Chelsea in the last 5 years. :sad5:

Post #289139  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 am 

Spurs united and then stoke.

That's a tough run. Stoke in particular will kick us all over the place when we go up there. Petes mob may acquire a few more volunteers over the next few weeks

Post #289140  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
Anytime anything positive is written about Spurs the very next sentence contains Arsenal. Saw Spurs were even selling scarves with 'we want you to stay' written on them today. The longer Spurs and everyone else keeps the Spurs 'ambition' and measuring success as bettering Arsenal they won't reach the top.

I'm sure the players and managers have higher ambitions but the fans and the press can't help but compare everything to Arsenal. Far more so than when City started bettering Man U.

Sadly our stadium move has ended up being timed for the worst possible moment, city and Chelsea came in with mega money, and now the money from TV deals far outweighs any difference in gate receipts and also provides a much easier transition for teams building a new stadium. Spurs probably won't find it half as hard as we did because the TV money has expanded at a much steeper rate than the cost of building a stadium

I don't think the Spurs fans' (justifiable) crowing over the reversal of our positions will hamper their team's rise at all.

If Spurs win the league it will be very well played indeed. One in the eye for the mammon boys.

Post #289141  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm 

Goonie wrote:
It would be a miracle if we secure CL football next season. I hope we don't get Europa League. Curious to see how the team perform with only domestic competitions.

If Wenger is still the manager, I suggest 'disappointingly' is the most likely outcome.

Post #289142  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:49 pm 

He's managed somehow to change us into a mid table team. It'll take a much better manager than him to change that situation imo.

Post #289143  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
Last night was shocking. Arsenal were in total control up to when we scored. For some reason in many matches going 1-0 up seems to see a button pushed where the team stop playing and become a mess. Passing start going to pot, no effort put in as if we have done the job already. Look at some of the games this season where if you're honest with yourself we got lucky. Yes all teams need a bit of luck, I get that. However, if you lose last night having played well, you can brush it off as you know what we are still capable of. Yet, look at us, we have quite a few more of last nights performances in us for the remainder of the season. We're not going to get lucky like against Southampton and Burnley with last minute goals.

No! Other clubs will go back to using the Everton blueprint in how to get a result against Arsenal. Bullied that what happened to Arsenal. We let Everton back into the game. The took advantage of it. As they grew so did the home support and Everton grew more. Arsenal bottled it. Then after Everton go 2-1 up it's suddenly Oh well! Might as well give it a go now, nothing to lose.

Arsene is totally out manoeuvred in some games. The guy just sits there watching his team fall to pieces and what happens, substitutes when needed. Oh no! Wait till the 70th minute. What was Theo doing? What was Özil doing?

Arsenal need to wise up and fast otherwise it's going be another wasted season. Yet some people will still lick his backside and call Arsene the best there is. PMSL.

I wrote the above on 14 Dec 2016

Post #289144  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Spencer wrote:
i watch reyes for benfica the other night guys, and i have to sday, he was *%^@*** brilliant. I would have him back in a flash.

dont depress me

If Reyes was at Arsenal today he would be our star player with everything going through him.

Depressing really, I guess we are in rapid decline

Stevie I go back earlier ... check this

This was posted late 2008

Post #289145  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Indeed. :icon_smile11:

Wenger has changed - spent more, relaxed his rule regarding contract for players above 30, taking back players who left the club... unfortunately it's been change for the worst.

Its just stale. He needs a new occupation (cooking? golf? bowls? bingo?) and we need a new manager.

Post #289146  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:30 pm 

Goonie wrote:
richie wrote:
Clarification on the CL and EL places for next season....

The top three teams will qualify for the group stage of next season's Champions League, with the fourth-placed team entering in the play-off round.

If Leicester City win the Champions League, or Manchester United win the Europa League but finish outside the top four, they will enter next season's Champions League. If both those sides win their European competitions, the fourth-placed side will be moved to the Europa League.

The fifth-placed team will enter the Europa League at the group stage, as will the FA Cup winners.

Manchester United are already assured of at least a Europa League place after winning the EFL Cup. If they finish in the top four, their place in the Europa League will pass to the sixth-placed team.

The four FA Cup semi-finalists - Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham - are all in contention for Champions League places. If the FA Cup winners and runners-up, and Manchester United, all qualify for Europe by virtue of their league position, the sixth and seventh-placed Premier League sides will also enter the Europa League.

There are no longer any Fair Play places allocated to the Europa League.

It would be a miracle if we secure CL football next season. I hope we don't get Europa League. Curious to see how the team perform with only domestic competitions.

Christ maybe (although he would wrack it up as his finest--beating walking on water and returning from the dead by a length). Wenger, non.

Post #289147  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
He's managed somehow to change us into a mid table team. It'll take a much better manager than him to change that situation imo.

We've been a mid-table side in disguise for years. This is our coming out of the closet season.

Post #289148  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 pm 

Three at the back? Holding plays. He's trying.

Trying our patience....................

Post #289149  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:19 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Looks more like a back 4 with Gabriel at right back.

I find myself, to echo some others, caring less than I ever have or thought I would about what happens tonight.

Post #289150  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I find myself, to echo some others, caring less than I ever have or thought I would about what happens tonight.

I think your right Bromley, more likely to be a 4 than 5. Chamberlain at right wing back? Just can't see it.

Post #289151  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

... also last weeks captain has been dropped

Post #289152  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Seems a bit desperate if it's true. We've spent 10 years supposedly trying to master the organisation of a 4-2-3-1 and failed so I don't hold much hope for us mastering 3 at the back in a week.

The anti-Wenger in me would suggest it might also be a 'look how flexible I can be, I can change....2more years coming up'

Post #289153  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I think your right Bromley, more likely to be a 4 than 5. Chamberlain at right wing back? Just can't see it.

Nope, looks like it is a 3 after all.
As soon as they announced that Boro are the lowest scorers in all 4 divisions I got a bad feeling. Can our feeble defence keep them out?

Post #289154  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

As soon as they announced that Boro are the lowest scorers in all 4 divisions I got a bad feeling. Can our feeble defence keep them out?

yes

These guys are hopeless. No way will we lose this.

Post #289155  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

yes

These guys are hopeless. No way will we lose this.

Weren't we lucky to draw 0-0 with Boro at home?

Post #289156  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:42 pm 

Bit of quality from Sanchez 1-0

Post #289157  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm 

About time he earned his money............

Post #289158  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 pm 

Can I smell 1-1

Post #289159  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 pm 

Can I heck................

Post #289160  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm 

Boro are useless, no way we won't win this. Even though you can see the formation thingy isn't working :laughing7:

[ 391425 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7226, 7227, 7228, 7229, 7230, 7231, 7232 ... 9786  Next