Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Andy Green, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 38 guests

Post #391161  Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:10 pm 

Manchester United could fire its manager after winning the English FA Cup. He says he will ‘go anywhere else to win trophies’

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/26/spor ... index.html

Post #391162  Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:29 pm 

Wow.

Post #391163  Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 5:01 pm 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
With the Saudi barcodes dropping out of Europe altogether, that might increase the chances of somebody getting Guimaraes or Isak. I don't think they'll sell Isak, but the midfielder would be a great addition to our squad.

The players may force a move, becomes very difficult for the club if the players want out. 7th place and no Europe and no real way to spend big to improve the team as was probably the project that was sold to them. Plenty of better teams than Newcastle will want them both, prime age in their careers - do they want to hang around to see if Saudi backed Newcastle works?

Post #391164  Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 9:15 pm 

Jack Grealish, £100m for 14 goals in 125 games for the most dominant team English football has seen. A colossal failure of a signing that gets swept under the carpet due to what the team has won so his direct contribution isn’t questioned.
City were desperate for a goal in the cup final and he was left on the bench.

Post #391165  Posted: Sun May 26, 2024 11:19 pm 

Welcome back to Southampton. It will probably be only for 1 year but who knows. Can’t stand Leeds.

Post #391166  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:39 am 

Rich wrote:
Jack Grealish, £100m for 14 goals in 125 games for the most dominant team English football has seen. A colossal failure of a signing that gets swept under the carpet due to what the team has won so his direct contribution isn’t questioned.

I was actually wondering to myself if this was going to be his last season. 300k a week. If he's kept on the books its not about his talent but because he's English.

Post #391167  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:12 am 

warrior wrote:
Manchester United could fire its manager after winning the English FA Cup. He says he will ‘go anywhere else to win trophies’

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/26/spor ... index.html

Cocky but admirable spirit. Now he has to make it happen :42laughter:

Post #391168  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Welcome back to Southampton. It will probably be only for 1 year but who knows. Can’t stand Leeds.

Get ready for Nketiah to Southampton then

Post #391169  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:59 am 

Prime, hungry Rashford would be fantastic for us. When he's in the mood, he's a fit. The current incarnation? Hell no. Lazy, uncommitted, moody, off the field issues at times.

If he can't be arsed to commit to his childhood club that he came up form the youth, how can we expect the same? The amount of wages won't be worth it. I hope its just the rumor mill babble.

That said, if he's bought I'll support the club's decision. If Arteta is serious he might possible be seeing him as a similar reclamation project like Havertz. Lightening will likely not strike twice, Mikel.

Post #391170  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:36 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That's a good call. If I was the manager of Southampton I might look around at a few of our fringe players : Vieira, Nketiah, Tierney and Elneny. Whether they are interested I am not sure.

Post #391171  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

That's a good call. If I was the manager of Southampton I might look around at a few of our fringe players : Vieira, Nketiah, Tierney and Elneny. Whether they are interested I am not sure.

I think Arteta will retain Vieira in the squad.

Tierney is injury prone, otherwise a good addition to any team.

Nketiah should weigh his options carefully. I believe his next move is career defining. Don't think he will be first choice for any of the other Top 6 teams or top European clubs. I think he should go to a team, like Southampton, where his chances will increase.

Elneny will likely leave England in his next move.

Post #391172  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:36 am 

Arsenal are interested in Stade Rennais winger Desire Doue, 18, and are prepared to compete with numerous clubs including Tottenham for his signature. (Mirror)

I know it’s all part of the transfer nonsense and tomorrow it’ll be 5 others, but this guys YouTube was the only one out of loads that made me genuinely go wow!

Post #391173  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:03 am 

When looking for Man Utds placings over the last 20-30 years, I noticed that according to TransferMarkt they never got relegated in the 70's.. :26surprise:

Attachment:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mancheste ... verein/985

Post #391174  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:51 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Southampton have Adam Armstrong up front. He's coming off a season far better than Eddie has managed even if it was in the Championship. I reckon Southampton will need to buy 5 or 6 players to have any chance of staying up, so I doubt Eddie will be on their list.

Post #391175  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:17 pm 

dec wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Southampton have Adam Armstrong up front. He's coming off a season far better than Eddie has managed even if it was in the Championship. I reckon Southampton will need to buy 5 or 6 players to have any chance of staying up, so I doubt Eddie will be on their list.

Adam Armstrong has scored 52 in his last two championship seasons and 4 in his last 68 premier league games.

Think he gets awarded the Darren Huckerby trophy for being too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem. Add to that Che Adams is leaving I think a striker is very high up the list. Whether they can get one good enough to matter and whether Eddie is it is another matter.

They also have a GK problem, so Ramsdale would be a brilliant get for them. Think he’d obviously prefer a team in Europe but that list is really only Chelsea in the conference league.

Or City if Ederson goes to Saudi… :8surprise:

Post #391176  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:20 pm 

Seen a few rumours were after Quinten Timber, Jurrien’s brother. Who were the last brothers we had in the squad?

Quinten is a central midfielder

Post #391177  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

The might be a correlation in how successful our first team is against the interest in our fringe players.
Man City just sold another youngster who never made an appearance for them for £20m as part of a mandatory buy option for Southampton getting promoted

Post #391178  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:28 pm 

Watching Martinelli look so good on the right wing in our final game of the season made me think that slotting in as a right winger is a lot easier than left winger in our side. On the right you have Ben White and Ødegaard in harmony that makes the RW job easier because of the support and dragging away other players. Our left back and left mid don’t really do that.

I do wonder whether part of the evolution of the team goes extra attacking in some games and plays inverted full backs on both sides and a maybe someone like Vieira for the left mid role to do a similar creative job to Ødegaard on the right. So you end up with a true 2-3-5 formation, with both full backs tucking in alongside Rice and then a front 5 from left to right of Martinelli/Vieira/Havertz/Ødegaard/Saka

Post #391179  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Seen a few rumours were after Quinten Timber, Jurrien’s brother. Who were the last brothers we had in the squad?

Leslie & Dennis

Post #391180  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
Watching Martinelli look so good on the right wing in our final game of the season made me think that slotting in as a right winger is a lot easier than left winger in our side. On the right you have Ben White and Ødegaard in harmony that makes the RW job easier because of the support and dragging away other players. Our left back and left mid don’t really do that.

I do wonder whether part of the evolution of the team goes extra attacking in some games and plays inverted full backs on both sides and a maybe someone like Vieira for the left mid role to do a similar creative job to Ødegaard on the right. So you end up with a true 2-3-5 formation, with both full backs tucking in alongside Rice and then a front 5 from left to right of Martinelli/Vieira/Havertz/Ødegaard/Saka

If god forbid Ødegaard is injured and out for a little while, who takes his slot? And what would be your set up?

Post #391181  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 4:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

Leslie & Dennis

Don't recall Leslie Bergkamp playing for us? :icon_wink:

Post #391182  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:19 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Maybe with a well placed encouraging nudge from Walcott.

Post #391183  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 pm 

john1 wrote:
DHD wrote:

Leslie & Dennis

I don't remember personally but apparently Chris Willock played a couple of League Cup matches for us, making him and Joe another pair.

Post #391184  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:07 pm 

Ash wrote:
Arsenal are interested in Stade Rennais winger Desire Doue, 18, and are prepared to compete with numerous clubs including Tottenham for his signature. (Mirror)

I know it’s all part of the transfer nonsense and tomorrow it’ll be 5 others, but this guys YouTube was the only one out of loads that made me genuinely go wow!

Thanks Ash, I'm glad I took the time to watch that. Interesting player.

Post #391185  Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:20 pm 

Rich wrote:

Take your point but '"colossal failure" is a bit strong perhaps. Aside from the fact that he has played over 100 games as part of a side that's won everything, focussing on the goals alone (as you have chosen to do) he wasn't that much more prolific at Villa where he was a much bigger fish.

You're also overlooking the likelihood that Guardiola has given him very specific instructions which may not necessarily involve shooting or finishing off moves. Thierry Henry's goals dropped off significantly when he was playing for Guardiola. Not especially fond of the guy but unfortunately he really does know what he's doing. Which is not to say he's infallible, but I don't see Kalvin Phillips getting 125 games for example.

Post #391186  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:53 am 

grantyboy wrote:
When looking for Man Utds placings over the last 20-30 years, I noticed that according to TransferMarkt they never got relegated in the 70's.. :26surprise:

Attachment:
Man Utd.png

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mancheste ... verein/985

April 1974 never happened apparently. The website can't be trusted.

Post #391187  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:03 am 

Rich wrote:

Quinten is a central midfielder

Kevin and Sol :1laughter:

Post #391188  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:15 am 

I haven't heard of this guy but a gooner I know who is Turkish is raving about this guy. Said he's the answer to our Left Back prayers and is excited we are linked to him. I heard about our links and asked him. He's not a Faner fan but said the guy reeks havoc on his Turkish team.

Post #391189  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:38 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
Rich wrote:

Take your point but '"colossal failure" is a bit strong perhaps. Aside from the fact that he has played over 100 games as part of a side that's won everything, focussing on the goals alone (as you have chosen to do) he wasn't that much more prolific at Villa where he was a much bigger fish.

You're also overlooking the likelihood that Guardiola has given him very specific instructions which may not necessarily involve shooting or finishing off moves. Thierry Henry's goals dropped off significantly when he was playing for Guardiola. Not especially fond of the guy but unfortunately he really does know what he's doing. Which is not to say he's infallible, but I don't see Kalvin Phillips getting 125 games for example.

Ok, but even if we add in his 18 assists for City he’s only averaging a goal contribution every 4 games. It was every 3 games at Villa. He should be performing at a level above what he did at Villa. And that is a Villa side averaging 50 goals a season rather than 90 odd that City score. 10 yard passes to De Bruyne who smacks one in the top corner is a nice way to pad out your stats. If he’s not in the City side to score goals or get assists what is he doing?
Of course Pep knows what he’s doing but he can get transfers wrong. Matheus Nunes, Phillips and for me Grealish. If Grealish had signed for any other big team for £100m and produced exactly the same performances and return he’d be under a lot more scrutiny.

Even if we go past the stats and just watch him play - when Pep trusts him to play - he’s not really a threat. He keeps the ball and draws fouls. I don’t see him beat a man, play an incisive pass or shoot. I think he could move back to a Villa-like team and shine again but right now he’s not doing it for City. He’s become better known for his drunken celebrations and nights out after winning a trophy than anything he’s done on the pitch for City.

Post #391190  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:26 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
Ash wrote:

Thanks Ash, I'm glad I took the time to watch that. Interesting player.

Hi Vince, he reminds me of the type of player Wenger would have signed from 1997-2003, and then missed out on from 2004 onwards to Chelsea and the like once they cottoned on to what he was doing!

Post #391191  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Vince Ordinaire wrote:

Ok, but even if we add in his 18 assists for City he’s only averaging a goal contribution every 4 games. It was every 3 games at Villa. He should be performing at a level above what he did at Villa. And that is a Villa side averaging 50 goals a season rather than 90 odd that City score. 10 yard passes to De Bruyne who smacks one in the top corner is a nice way to pad out your stats. If he’s not in the City side to score goals or get assists what is he doing?
Of course Pep knows what he’s doing but he can get transfers wrong. Matheus Nunes, Phillips and for me Grealish. If Grealish had signed for any other big team for £100m and produced exactly the same performances and return he’d be under a lot more scrutiny.

Even if we go past the stats and just watch him play - when Pep trusts him to play - he’s not really a threat. He keeps the ball and draws fouls. I don’t see him beat a man, play an incisive pass or shoot. I think he could move back to a Villa-like team and shine again but right now he’s not doing it for City. He’s become better known for his drunken celebrations and nights out after winning a trophy than anything he’s done on the pitch for City.

I think it’s simpler rich, no one asks questions when you’re winning.

Things that you get criticism for when you’re one of the pack you get praised for when you’ve won the big trophies. Playing badly for instance.

Post #391192  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:36 am 

Martial is leaving Man Utd, I don't know where he's going but he's out of contract. He's 28. Not a bad age. A wee bit too injury prone.

Worth a punt?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/arti ... vv4qlv077o

Post #391193  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:05 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think it’s simpler rich, no one asks questions when you’re winning.

Things that you get criticism for when you’re one of the pack you get praised for when you’ve won the big trophies. Playing badly for instance.

Exactly that. Which is my entire point. Proper journalism should cut through that and judges things better

Post #391194  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 12:11 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Martial is leaving Man Utd, I don't know where he's going but he's out of contract. He's 28. Not a bad age. A wee bit too injury prone.

Worth a punt?

No!

Post #391195  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:23 pm 

Attachment:

G’Day Old Man

Just started this - might interest you. It’d be something to read you as you receive your daily maple syrup massage.

Post #391196  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:29 pm 

Just renewed. I assume we get the 4 home CL fixtures but what about the FA Cup?

Anyone know?

Post #391197  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:39 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Worth a punt?

No!

LOL....this strong of a no?

Post #391198  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:45 pm 

What's our transfer budget? 150 million? 200 million? Working under these 'constraints'
Possible summer buys.

LB Kadiaglu
CB Kato (leave out if pushes the budget over)
CM Guimaraes (players plus cash)
Striker Zirkee or Smith Rowe plus cash for Isak

Post #391199  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 4:12 pm 

john1 wrote:
DHD wrote:

Leslie & Dennis

*Denis

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2015/ ... mpton.html

Post #391200  Posted: Tue May 28, 2024 4:53 pm 

warrior wrote:
john1 wrote:

*Denis

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2015/ ... mpton.html

Yes, a factually inaccurate poor attempt at a joke.

My usual m.o. :1laughter:

[ 391441 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9777, 9778, 9779, 9780, 9781, 9782, 9783 ... 9787  Next