Fixtures Thursday July 25th - Bournemouth - Dignity Health Sports Park - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz and 14 guests

Post #387641  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 am 

It’s amazing what the mini winter break and trip to Dubai has done for us. Saka and White are over their niggles, Saka looks back to his best, Ødegaard is firing, the team just look sharp

Post #387642  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:26 am 

For all the talk of a No.9, I don’t necessarily thinks it’s as simple as that. Of course it helps as an option, but we play pretty well most of the time with the players we have. For me it’s more that absolute elite level killer player (any forward position) who when you’re team isn’t playing well, or is in a tight game just turns the game for you with a moment of individual brilliance - nothing to do with tactics, teamwork, shape etc just out right talent in a moment. This is Salah, de Bruyne, Haaland.
When we struggle in a game we still don’t have that talisman we turn to to drag us through no matter what and despite the poor performances all around him.

Post #387643  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:05 am 

https://x.com/muzza1991/status/17567668 ... -j6VVZXEoA

This is an overlooked point that Merson makes. I said it in the run in last year we played an abnormal amount of times after City. I get that it’s going to be rare that we play at the same time because of tv, but last year was something like 8 out of 10 City played before us. Of course you still have to win but it’s huge mental pressure on the team playing second.

Why do teams always choose the first kick in a shootout?

Post #387644  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
At halftime on my feed, Andy Gray highlighted our corner tactics. Ben White surreptitiously blocks the keeper just long enough to deny him getting to the ball in time then leaves so he doesn't pick up a foul. Another player comes to the near post to stop anyone from there and its usually 3 v 2 in our favor after that.

I have to think teams are looking at these films prior to the game. I also worry managers are going to start telling referees to look for Ben White doing that.

MOTD did a whole piece on our set pieces but generally the entire analysis was how bad West Ham were, which contributed no doubt. But when a title challenging team has just won 6-0 away from home banging in 25 shots you’d hope a little bit more analysis on our play. Look at the 3 x No.10’s we played with Havertz, Ødegaard, Trossard who kept dropping between the lines and were found by line breaking passes.
Do some balanced analysis, people talk about the need for an out and out 9, so counter that by showing how Arsenal smashed this game by doing something different. A big strong No.9 isn’t the ONLY way to do it if everything else clicks

When teams play us they suddenly start playing badly ... Liverpool happened to have an off day.
WH stunk. Nothing to do with us of course. The fact that WH didn't defend the two headed goals well had nothing to do with us winning so many corners and free kicks in dangerous positions and the law of averages, of course. Nothing about how WH, after playing decently for 20 minutes, were hanging on by their fingernails by the time we scored.

On the Ben White thing. The rule is:

"players have a right to maintain a position achieved during the normal course of play"

If the keeper comes for the ball and White deliberately moves into his way in a manner that cannot be construed as going for the ball, or if there are multiple players blocking of the keeper, then yes. But otherwise it is nonsense.

Post #387645  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 am 

Rich wrote:
For all the talk of a No.9, I don’t necessarily thinks it’s as simple as that. Of course it helps as an option, but we play pretty well most of the time with the players we have. For me it’s more that absolute elite level killer player (any forward position) who when you’re team isn’t playing well, or is in a tight game just turns the game for you with a moment of individual brilliance - nothing to do with tactics, teamwork, shape etc just out right talent in a moment. This is Salah, de Bruyne, Haaland.
When we struggle in a game we still don’t have that talisman we turn to to drag us through no matter what and despite the poor performances all around him.

True. It would be wonderful if someone like Martinelli or Ødegaard could step up to that level.

BUT we haven't done badly at all with Trossard or Havertz playing in the central attacking position. The fluidity of our front 5 has been quite something in the last couple of games. I read somewhere that our record when Saka, Trossard, and Martinelli are playing together is something like 8 wins out of 11.

Would Jesus automatically be chosen when he's fit? I would be picking Trossard against teams that are going to sit against us, which will be most of the time! Jesus is a brilliant sub to bring on when we are defending a lead, which will be hopefully much of the time. Havertz is looking like a great option to have whether in the 8 or 9 role.

Post #387646  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose's people didn't float this balloon to see what the weather is like to this proposition.
It may happen but I can't see another top 5 job for Jose again. He's now seen as more toxic than savvy manager. Also, his style is too defensive for BM.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... uchel.html

Post #387647  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:52 pm 

My guess is most of the fan base don't think we can win the title but we want to make it close. Just my guess. I think almost all of us are afraid to say anything about the title based on last season's disappointment, this seasons Liverpool emergence and City still at title winning form.

Gooners seem to have a lets take it game by game and see where we are in May.

Post #387648  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:57 pm 

You've heard it here first. Arsenal end up in the CL final.

Post #387649  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

On our day we can beat anyone. We should certainly be confident going into the Porto match.

Post #387650  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 pm 

https://x.com/aviv_lavi/status/17567436 ... -j6VVZXEoA

All of Saka’s goals and assists.
Remarkable how many are with his right foot. Puts pay to the lazy pundits who just say ‘you know what he’s going to do’

Post #387651  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

On our day we can beat anyone. We should certainly be confident going into the Porto match.

Bayern don’t look up to us this year. Real Madrid and City look like the favourites because of their recent history and experience. But we’re easily at least the 3rd best team left.

But knock out football can punish you. 1 mistake and you’re out. We can’t afford an off day like a West Ham at home or Fulham away type performance

Post #387652  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bayern don’t look up to us this year. Real Madrid and City look like the favourites because of their recent history and experience. But we’re easily at least the 3rd best team left.

But knock out football can punish you. 1 mistake and you’re out. We can’t afford an off day like a West Ham at home or Fulham away type performance

The worry is also the thin squad and how dependent we are on the likes of Saliba, Gabs, Rice, Ødegaard, White and Saka staying fit.

If you go out because you have a bad day or the other team plays brilliantly then fair enough. Going out because we are forced to play the backup players will be hard to take.

Post #387653  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:35 pm 

I hadn't realized that if City wins the title they'll be the first club to win 4 straight titles. :1cry:

Post #387654  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

We also still have the knack of losing to anyone. :sad4: Hopefully it is a habit we are gradually getting over.

Post #387655  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:39 pm 

*%^@ YES!!!!!
Those *%^@*** toe rags had it coming after beating us twice this season.
i wanted revenge so badly but didnt feel confident before the game with the line up being changed form last week. Thought Jorginho deserved to keep his place and wasn't 100 per cent sure about Kiwior but boy is he starting to look the part after a great cameo last week.
Trossard was brilliant and a lovely goal to boot. Saka looked like his old self and Rice finally shook off the old club blues and emotional attachment to put in a great performance.
Saw the first 3 goals but the my picture kept freezing. When i had got the picture back the score line had changed each time!!
What i loved was the celebration in the defence for preventing opportunities. The game was won but we were intent on keeping a clean sheet. Really lovely to see that level of motivation and determination from the boys and what i also loved is we made that result last week MEAN something by building on it by winning yesterday.
Beautiful seeing those toe rags filing out early. Didnt see any smiles from *%^@*** bowen and moyes this time!!
Gorgeous revenge. So proud of the team for that performance.

Post #387656  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:07 pm 

Alan Shearer on Declan Rice not celebratin: “When I saw it I was thinking ‘come onnn’. Look, I know what West Ham means to him but I’m not really one for not celebrating goals. You work all week to score goals.”

“Everyone knows what West Ham means to him and all that so I get it, but if it was me, I’d have been away celebrating”

Can someone please tell us when we’re allowed to celebrate and when we’re not!!!

Post #387657  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Alan Shearer on Declan Rice not celebratin: “When I saw it I was thinking ‘come onnn’. Look, I know what West Ham means to him but I’m not really one for not celebrating goals. You work all week to score goals.”

“Everyone knows what West Ham means to him and all that so I get it, but if it was me, I’d have been away celebrating”

Can someone please tell us when we’re allowed to celebrate and when we’re not!!!

nah i’m actually with baldy on this one

You’ve just twatted an absolute thunderbastard of a shot in from 30 yards. sorry declan you have to celebrate that, class goal. plus you had morons booing you so it’s not out of line

Post #387658  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:20 pm 

In Arsenal games I do watch Havertz quite a lot, I wanted to understand what Arteta saw. Early on it wasn’t clear. But now I can see what he brings to to team and how it fits with the things Arteta puts at the top of his priorities. Havertz is an incredibly unselfish player and an intelligent reader of the game. He knows where to be with and without the ball and his physicality and reading of the game allows him to be a duel winning monster. Even when he plays up front he allows us to pick up the second balls because he disturbs the defence.
Now of course everyone wants goals and assists from a £65m player but there is something about Havertz that is now bringing the best out of others in the team. He covers for them and wins balls and moves in to spaces to make the game easier for others.

Post #387659  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

You’ve just twatted an absolute thunderbastard of a shot in from 30 yards. sorry declan you have to celebrate that, class goal. plus you had morons booing you so it’s not out of line

But you know Rice would have got pelters had he given that the biggun especially at 6-0, it would have been seen as arrogant Arsenal

Damned if we do damned if we don’t.

Post #387660  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:11 pm 

A year and a half ago I'd have taken Van Dijk hands down if offered as a certain starter for us just like every other club in the league. Right now I 'might'. I probably would but its a probably. That's just how strong Gabriel and Saliba are. Sounds crazy to write it but its how I feel about them. Definitely the best partnership in the league.

Post #387661  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
In Arsenal games I do watch Havertz quite a lot, I wanted to understand what Arteta saw. Early on it wasn’t clear. But now I can see what he brings to to team and how it fits with the things Arteta puts at the top of his priorities. Havertz is an incredibly unselfish player and an intelligent reader of the game. He knows where to be with and without the ball and his physicality and reading of the game allows him to be a duel winning monster. Even when he plays up front he allows us to pick up the second balls because he disturbs the defence.
Now of course everyone wants goals and assists from a £65m player but there is something about Havertz that is now bringing the best out of others in the team. He covers for them and wins balls and moves in to spaces to make the game easier for others.

Havertz has been playing way better than the stint at Chelsea and his first few games with us. However, I would put some, not all, but some of his unselfishness to still having a bit of a confidence issue. He's not the same player we saw in Germany. He's getting there but not there yet by any visible margin. He's not confidence in taking as many shots in positions most attackers in his position would. His finishing is still questionable. Such as the one that led to Saka having to clean up after he didn't score 1 v 1 on the keeper one would expect a 65 million dollar player or whatever it was, to make.

I don't think he'll ever live up to his price. But at this point, if he can improve on Xhaka I'd take that. If he scored a Michael Thomas goal or even a great assist to win either the league or CL then it would be worth the money.

Rice on the other hand has done more to justify his price than Grealish has. I would like to see a Kante type in to Rice and Ødegaard in midfield. Have Rice have a bit more of an opportunity to go forward, a bit more freedom in the middle of a pitch. He has a good footballing brain.

Post #387662  Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:24 pm 

In sports generally, its tough to beat or not lose to a good team or a halfway decent team more than twice in a season generally speaking. 2004 Chelsea in the CL, 2004 Man Utd in the FA cup, forgot the year but we kept beating 'Boro in the PL and the FA Cup, till the League cup semis or final, can't recall which one. The same with us and Liverpool and West Ham this season but on the other end.

Post #387663  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 am 

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Let's not get to carried away and start blowing smoke out of our a***se , tooting our own trumpet etc etc .....we've recently lost to West Ham and Fulham

.....and it doesn't matter what sort of she**ght team Man U have or put out they more often than not beat us or at least give us a very difficult game .

Pouring scorn on another team after we've had a couple of good results invites the Gods of Fate to bring us down a couple of pegs .

I only did that because ten hag said they deserved to beat us and Liverpool. Trying to make out they are better than they are and everything is a ok in the Man U development. Reality is not one of their players gets in our starting 11

Ohh :58big-emoticons: okay fair point

Post #387664  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I quite like West Ham as a club although I've endured a few less than cheery moments at their hands .
I was at Highbury one year when they beat us 2 -0 in an FA Cup tie think Alan Devonshire scored one , also my sole visit to Wembley 1980 when they beat us 1 - 0 .... Trevor Brooking's only ever headed goal [ I think ? ]

Hi Kiwi, sorry about your unfortunate experiences while there. Hope I get a better outcome when I visit for the last match against Everton. Me and my missus are planning an European holiday with a stopover for the match against Everton. Title defining match I hope. Better still, title celebrations match :

:laughing7: Yeah to add insult to injury G7 ... for the Wembley trip ....... here's me all decked out in my red and white jersey the wife knitted for me , Arsenal scarf and rosette I shuffle in all excited and expectant

When I get to the allocated spot I find I'm smack bang in the middle of the West Ham end ; couldn't have been anymore central .

Couple of blokes around me said ........ " what the f&&^^% are you doing here ; have you got a death wish ? " .....you should be down that f %@^*** end like

Soon as I opened my mouth I think the Kiwi accent saved me ;

You might have picked a milestone match ; Merseyside ...a renactment of 1989 ?????? .... Trossard in the final seconds to pip Liverpool for the title , wouldn't that be nice . Hope all goes well for you .

EDIT .... that's stuffed up that wonderful script ...we are at home v Everton

Post #387665  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Totally disagree .... let's stop for second and analyse it . Your words " the morons " who were booing him [ Rice ]

Okay so having established they are morons ...... why provide them with further fuel by sinking to their level and giving the big ones to the West Ham home crowd .

Far better to show you are above that childish behaviour and act in the way Declan did , when he was subbed off there were a ton of West Ham fans applauding
him ; in appreciation for not rubbing their noses in it after a such drubbing

Say Shearer had transferred to Sunderland ; would he be so keen to give it large if he'd just scored to make it 6 - 0 against his beloved Newcastle at St James ?

Post #387666  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:32 am 

I can’t imagine Saka celebrating against us if we sold him, and certainly not in his first season. But it’s up to the player.

Post #387667  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 am 

2 Chelsea players yellow carded for their celebrations scoring a late winner v Palace last night. Carragher on commentary loved the celebrations and said they shouldn’t have been booked.

This guy should not be allowed on Liverpool games, ditto Neville on Man U games. They’ve proven they cannot be unbiased and their opinions are repeated by so many in the game they have huge influence….and there is no doubt in my mind that their opinion sparks what stays in the news and things that get talked about enough will start to influence referees and the action they take on the pitch.

Post #387668  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:02 am 

88 goals last season - my view is that’s enough goals to win the league. At the same stage as last season we’ve scored 1 more goal and let in 1 fewer this season.

In our final 14 games last season we scored 37 and let in 19. It’s that 19 against that cost us the league, not the lack of a No.9

Post #387669  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:38 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Totally disagree .... let's stop for second and analyse it . Your words " the morons " who were booing him [ Rice ]

Okay so having established they are morons ...... why provide them with further fuel by sinking to their level and giving the big ones to the West Ham home crowd .

Far better to show you are above that childish behaviour and act in the way Declan did , when he was subbed off there were a ton of West Ham fans applauding
him ; in appreciation for not rubbing their noses in it after a such drubbing

Say Shearer had transferred to Sunderland ; would he be so keen to give it large if he'd just scored to make it 6 - 0 against his beloved Newcastle at St James ?

6 nil at their place, two assists and a beautiful goal. A bit of mercy and class was warranted. Declan seems like a classy guy. And most of the WH fans didn't boo and probably most of the booers would have legged it be the time he scored.

Post #387670  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:47 am 

Bored wrote:
I can’t imagine Saka celebrating against us if we sold him, and certainly not in his first season. But it’s up to the player.

True, exception being if he left acrimoniously ala Adebayor.

Post #387671  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:48 am 

Rice didn't go on strike. It was the club's decision to accept the fee. Obviously he was keen for a move but he was respectful throughout the whole thing. Maybe there was but I didn't hear about any Hammer fans upset about all that money they got for it and what they were planning to do with it.

Post #387672  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:21 pm 

I do wonder if the 11 we played Sunday is actually our strongest side. Obviously you probably wouldn’t start that at Anfield but to me we look at our best when Trossard is on the pitch in some capacity and whilst I’m not sure about him in midfield up front makes sense where he can swap roles with Havertz.

Aside from his goal he played 2 or 3 absolutely killer balls. I’m a big fan of Gabby Jesus and his street football but I do think we should probably stick with the same side at Burnley even if he’s fit as we look a better footballing side with Leo in the 11.

Post #387673  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rice didn't go on strike. It was the club's decision to accept the fee. Obviously he was keen for a move but he was respectful throughout the whole thing. Maybe there was but I didn't hear about any Hammer fans upset about all that money they got for it and what they were planning to do with it.

I’ve seen no major ill will towards Rice directly from West Ham fans, other than pantomime booing at matches, but I’ve seen plenty of abuse from West Ham fans to Arsenal fans over the transfer. They got the fee they wanted - a big fee - my best guess is they would have much rather he’d gone to City, because in some weird way West Ham see themselves as a rival to Arsenal and to them it probably felt like they weren’t selling their best player to an absolute elite club. If that’s the West Ham mindset I can totally understand where the underlying anger and desperation for Arsenal and Rice to fail comes from.

Post #387674  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 pm 

Nketiah’s days are totally numbered. He’s 4th choice striker at best now. Jesus, Havertz and Trossard offer us varied ways to play that Nketiah just doesn’t. Baring injuries to the 3 above the only minutes Nketiah is going to get are late on in comfortable victories or late on in desperate need for a goal.

I’d take £25-30m for him from anyone in the summer

Post #387675  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:58 pm 

Saturday 3pm kick off v Burnley.

Will be the last one for some time - after this we go
Saturday 8pm Newcastle (h)
Monday 8pm Sheff utd (a) - hate this slot, boring weekend with no Arsenal
Saturday 5:30pm Brentford (h)
Saturday 12:30pm Chelsea (h) - chance this gets postponed if Chelsea win their next FA Cup tie v Leeds
Sunday 4:30pm City (a)
Tuesday 7:45pm Luton (h) - full midweek fixture list

Post #387676  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:16 pm 

There has been lots of talk of Liverpool’s midfield rebuild this season following the signings of Szobozslai, Mac Allister and Gravenberch…replacing primarily Fabinho and Henderson who made the most appearances last season…..but events this year mean we’ve had almost a very similar midfield rebuild. Xhaka has gone and Partey has played barely a handful of games. Partey and Xhaka were far better performers than Fabinho and Henderson last year so the task of replacing them could be seen as harder to find players to maintain or improve the previous level. Not to diminish what Liverpool have done but there’s been little talk of our own midfield rebuild….not to mention integrating a new gk in to a well oiled system

Post #387677  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:08 am 

Burnley have the second worst goals conceded from set pieces this season. Their young gk Trafford is really not strong on them. Great opportunity for us to cash in again

Post #387678  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:12 am 

Fabio Vieira looking to return to the first team squad in time for our game v Porto (his former club) next midweek.
Emile Smith Rowe, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Jesus and Partey are all close to returns as well. Timber not far away but expect his integration to be very gradual. Might we have a fully fit squad for the first time in at least 2 years by the end of the month?!

Post #387679  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Nketiah’s days are totally numbered. He’s 4th choice striker at best now. Jesus, Havertz and Trossard offer us varied ways to play that Nketiah just doesn’t. Baring injuries to the 3 above the only minutes Nketiah is going to get are late on in comfortable victories or late on in desperate need for a goal.

I have to say I’m a little surprised how long it took Mikel to realise this.

Nelson and Nketiah came on with 23 minutes to go on Sunday and you just knew our goal threat would evaporate with their arrival againest a side mentally demoralised.

Just shows that we are only ever 2 injuries to our front 3 away from damaging the teams ability to win matches.

Post #387680  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:16 am 

https://x.com/footballontnt/status/1757 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Rio Ferdinand happy to say Foden is world class but Saka isn’t. He bases this on trophies and Foden seemingly playing more champions league games. I get the trophies argument, it’s always going to be there, but it ignores that players like Phil Neville are laden with trophies that were wholly won by more talented team mates, also that people have no problem with labelling Kane as world class. I know I’m talking about two extremes of the argument but let’s also factor that Saka has done it at a Euros and a World Cup, being arguably englands best player at both tournaments, and Foden hasn’t really played at either because he’s kept out by Saka

[ 391876 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9689, 9690, 9691, 9692, 9693, 9694, 9695 ... 9797  Next