Fixtures Sunday May 19th - Everton - Emirates Stadium - 4:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, warrior and 26 guests

Post #381721  Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:22 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

Afternoon DHD, yes that’s a fair point. Is Balogun’s level good enough? I don’t think he’s 18 year old Anelka level - who was an absolute phenom - but he clearly thinks it is. I suspect he’d be above Eddie’s level given a run, but I don’t know tbh. I would like to see but it looks like we won’t get the chance.

The further question is, is the attitude that drives his ambition going to be ultimately detrimental? For Anelka it clearly was, hearing him talk about that time and why he left it sounds like his arrogance was so tied to his ego, it wasn’t just a lot of confidence in his ability. He took mortal offence at something minor and then wanted to leave. Balogun is bordering on that at times from where I stand, and perhaps it’s telling he looks to be seen as a payday rather than a prodigious talent we simply must keep.

I think it is a bit unfair to call Balogun arrogant. He has just had a breakthrough season so is in a good position to secure his future as a starting striker with a good team (Inter or Monaco). If he stays at Arsenal he might end up playing a handful of cup games and come the summer, his stock would have fallen considerably. He might be looking at what has happened with Hojlund, a player of a similar age who scored half the amount of goals that Balogun did last season.

I didn’t call Balogun arrogant I called Anelka arrogant. And that in hindsight, and that Balogun is maybe walking that same path. He clearly doesn’t see patience as a virtue, which might work out for him, but it certainly didn’t for Anelka in the long run. He was on the track to being a super star, decent career but nothing like it looked like being.

In trying to work out the the reasoning as to why Balogun isn’t getting a chance I think the signs point to his ambition working against him. I was a bit taken aback at his England “snub” tweet.

At the same time I’ve already posted as to why it makes sense for him to leave if he doesn’t have the patience to work his way into the first team. Good luck to him, it’ll be interesting to see how it works out.

Post #381722  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:45 am 

Loaning Kieran Tierney to sociedad seems absolutely pointless. Strikes me as they would never be able to pay the fee we would demand to take him permanently and it’s unlikely the player would also want to go there long term anyway. Feels like another Torreira loan this time with a more talented player.

Post #381723  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:06 am 

I think the bigger plan with our strikers is to sell Balogun this year (£40-50m), then next year look to sell Nketiah for a similar amount then bring in a top class No.9

Post #381724  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:14 am 

Man City want Pacqueta from West Ham, £70m bid. That seems a little bit like a panic bid.

City has depth, versatility and high quality in defence, but in other areas of the team they are a few injuries away from being very stretched. It’s a small squad. They didn’t pick those injuries up at all last year - although it has to be said Pep does manage the squad well often giving 3-4 game breaks to players sporadically through the season.

Post #381725  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:15 am 

Man u’s new striker, Hojland will miss the first couple of games of the season and will need to be managed carefully as he has a potential stress fracture in his back.

I said before it’s a lot for a 21 year old to come in as the main striker, with a £70m price tag at a club like Man U. Will be interesting to see how he copes. Man U have had an awful recent record with striker transfers

Post #381726  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Man City want Pacqueta from West Ham, £70m bid. That seems a little bit like a panic bid.

City has depth, versatility and high quality in defence, but in other areas of the team they are a few injuries away from being very stretched. It’s a small squad. They didn’t pick those injuries up at all last year - although it has to be said Pep does manage the squad well often giving 3-4 game breaks to players sporadically through the season.

So West Ham fans will finally get what they've wanted all summer, to see one of their best players join Man City..... :42laughter:

*pinched this joke from someone else online

Post #381727  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:43 am 

Have to say Pacqueta seems to make sense for city. Seems equally as creative as combative

Post #381728  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:13 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I didn't think our longball tactics worked that well against City to be honest. It just looked more like long punts from Ramsdale in the general diretion of Havertz. He did a decent job of competing and there were a couple of long balls (one from Saliba I think) which he showed excellent touch and control with but generally he was being tasked with getting his head to the ball with no Arsenal player close enough to him to pick up the second ball.

To me Havertz is a technical player who just happens to be 6'4". His strength is not really in the air although obviously his size gives him some advantage.

I reckon Arteta sees him as a player who is very comfortable in possession and is very good at timing runs into the box, even though he's not the most clinical, and does provide some aerial threat because of his height.

Hi Soc,

That's how I see it too. His strength is his technical ability. He might be tall, but I don't think he's a physical player at all, and certainly not as physical as Xhaka, the player he is most likely replacing. Ødegaard can't play every game, so Havertz could fill in there in quite a few games.

I think the use of the long ball so much was a reflection of how we were struggling to play through them at the beginning of the game, rather than a positive tactic. I don't think it is ability--being on an 8-game losing streak and how poorly we played against them in the pervious game had a lot to do with it. Once we got our composure, it was a different story.

Using the long ball occasionally, especially when the opposition have overcommitted, is a nice option. But at this stage, it doesn't look like Harertz will give us that physical presence as you say.

Post #381729  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:09 pm 

Aston Villa's Victor Manas given a three match stadium ban, £8,000 fine and warning over his "improper and violent" behaviour in 94th minute and in tunnel after Arsenal's win at Villa Park in February.

Charges against Miguel Molina were withdrawn. He has been given a warning.

Post #381730  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:19 pm 

After quite rightly sacking Lee Mason over his unbelievable error forgetting to draw the lines in our game v Brentford the PGMOL has now rehired Mason as a referee coach

Post #381731  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
dec wrote:
Hi Soc,

That's how I see it too. His strength is his technical ability. He might be tall, but I don't think he's a physical player at all, and certainly not as physical as Xhaka, the player he is most likely replacing. Ødegaard can't play every game, so Havertz could fill in there in quite a few games.

I think the use of the long ball so much was a reflection of how we were struggling to play through them at the beginning of the game, rather than a positive tactic. I don't think it is ability--being on an 8-game losing streak and how poorly we played against them in the pervious game had a lot to do with it. Once we got our composure, it was a different story.

Using the long ball occasionally, especially when the opposition have overcommitted, is a nice option. But at this stage, it doesn't look like Harertz will give us that physical presence as you say.

In the City game I agree. When we played them in the league we went with our normal approach which had Partey back up the high press and left De Bruyne to wander laterally across the pitch in all kinds of space and difficult for a CB to go and follow him.
Arteta went very safety first and using Havertz as a potential out ball when we couldn’t get through the press was sensible irrespective of how physical or not Havertz was/is.
Going toe to toe with City is risky, we’ve done it well in 45 minutes of games where we spooked them but they adjusted and took control in both games that happened.
The better tactic against them is to stay compact and then exploit them when you do get the ball, but you hunt the ball aggressively in your danger areas but not chase it high up the pitch - which is what they want so they can pass it round you.
If Arteta adopts the same approach in both league games I think it will give us a far better basis for nicking the points than the set up in the last two league games against them

Post #381732  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
After quite rightly sacking Lee Mason over his unbelievable error forgetting to draw the lines in our game v Brentford the PGMOL has now rehired Mason as a referee coach

I’m genuinely not sure why anybody is shocked at this.

These ref situations always seems similar to when the next Tory MP does some heinous thing and gets booted from the cabinet for it. You know full well they will be brought back into the fold later when everything has died down.

Post #381733  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:48 pm 

Charlie Patino is going on loan to Swansea for the season. It was thought he was going to leave permanently.

Post #381734  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:17 pm 

Raya is being done on a £3m loan with an option to buy for £27m.

Post #381735  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:23 pm 

It seems like Kudus from Ajax is refusing to join Brighton without a release clause. This is the problem Brighton have with their model if they refuse to sell their players when a decent offer comes in. Players see it and want to ensure they have an exit strategy for a club they would consider a stepping stone. Tough for a club like Brighton to balance that

Post #381736  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:31 pm 

Posting from Turkey, and hammered.

The Charity Shield definitely important psychologically; it was good to see the bandwagon jumping City fans around here disappointed.

Another season, another hope.

Eff em all, eff em all,
United, West Ham etc.

UTA

Post #381737  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:32 pm 

The Raya deal being a loan is interesting. Fab Romano is suggesting we have done it to comply with FFP which doesnt really make sense at all as we have sold Turner and Trusty since signing Rice so surely it would have been an issue earlier. Plus we are very likely to sell balogun & Tavares plus possibly even KT. Just doesn’t make sense

We must be using it as a way of easing cash flow and kicking the amortisation down the road to sign another player outright. I wonder if Neto or Kudus could join as soon as balogun goes. It’s been a crazy window

Post #381738  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:39 pm 

john1 wrote:

There really aren’t enough of these types of posts anymore :laughing7:

Post #381739  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

These ref situations always seems similar to when the next Tory MP does some heinous thing and gets booted from the cabinet for it. You know full well they will be brought back into the fold later when everything has died down.

He made an error. He was punished. Time to move on.

Post #381740  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think my frustration with this is not just centred on Mason per se, more that the referees in this country are not really held to task. It is a closed shop with no incentive or desire to improve. Yes Mason lost his job, but after 6 mistakes on VAR - and he's the only one as far as I know who has lost his job through poor performance.

I do hold out hope for Howard Webb because when I hear him talk he does seem like a really good communicator and I think he cares about the standards of refereeing and making things generally better.

it is a thankless job and a really tough job and clearly the lot we have are the best we have, but when you compare it to the level of officiating in other sports it is so poor. Of course the players don't make it easy for them in a way that rugby has much more in built respect but some of the awful mistakes being made so regularly is not acceptable.

Post #381741  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:01 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He was a Video assistant referee who forgot to check the video.

He literally had one thing to do. No way should he return after such a cock up

Post #381742  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

There really aren’t enough of these types of posts anymore :laughing7:

Got a kit with Jesus 9 on the back; I keep crossing myself.

Post #381743  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The Raya deal being a loan is interesting. Fab Romano is suggesting we have done it to comply with FFP which doesnt really make sense at all as we have sold Turner and Trusty since signing Rice so surely it would have been an issue earlier. Plus we are very likely to sell balogun & Tavares plus possibly even KT. Just doesn’t make sense

We must be using it as a way of easing cash flow and kicking the amortisation down the road to sign another player outright. I wonder if Neto or Kudus could join as soon as balogun goes. It’s been a crazy window

Yeah I can't believe FFP is close enough for us for that to be a reason not to spend the £27m now. Much more likely that we've seen an opportunity to defer any purchase we make to next year's accounts (which all helps) and quite fancy a try before you buy - why wouldn't you?

Another 3 weeks of the transfer window, lots of outgoings to sort but I feel there will be one more player - a right sided forward/attacking mid to come.

Even right now Edu is putting in a 9/10 transfer window. get a quality right sided attacker and sell the unrequired players for a bit of decent money and it can be boosted to 10/10

Post #381744  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

It wasn’t even a contentious cock-up - it was clear and obvious. Bent, even.

Post #381745  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It wasn’t even a contentious cock-up - it was clear and obvious. Bent, even.

Everyone in the *%^@*** ground knew it was off. EVERYONE

I didn’t even need a replay.

Post #381746  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah I can't believe FFP is close enough for us for that to be a reason not to spend the £27m now. Much more likely that we've seen an opportunity to defer any purchase we make to next year's accounts (which all helps) and quite fancy a try before you buy - why wouldn't you?

Another 3 weeks of the transfer window, lots of outgoings to sort but I feel there will be one more player - a right sided forward/attacking mid to come.

Even right now Edu is putting in a 9/10 transfer window. get a quality right sided attacker and sell the unrequired players for a bit of decent money and it can be boosted to 10/10

10/10 would require a new centre forward.

Post #381747  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I think my frustration with this is not just centred on Mason per se...

I have a problem with Mason per se. As bad as the refs in England generally are, he still stood out as one of the very worst.

It was long overdue when he got sacked and while this new appointment might not be surprising it is as poor a decision as the ones Mason routinely made, the incompetent *%^@.

Post #381748  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:09 pm 

West Ham using the Rice money to sign Maguire, McTominey and Ward-Prowse is so utterly predictable.

Post #381749  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:08 pm 

Wtf so West Ham go for Balogun ..

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 90525.html

But we want another 6 despite having Jorginho, rice and Partey ? Now there’s news that chelsea want lavia despite having enzo already. Where does that leave caicedo ?

Sell Balogun+ Partey for caicedo ? Is that what’s about to happen. Would be utterly crazy,

Post #381750  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

They missed the mark there. They should have hired him as a fitness trainer.

Post #381751  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:09 am 

Chelsea bid £48m for Lavia from Southampton. I’d probably rather Chelsea got him that Liverpool. Liverpool need him more, Chelsea already have Enzo Fernandes for the No.6 position

Post #381752  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:04 am 

Looks like the Kane to Bayern deal has been done.

Post #381753  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 am 

DHD wrote:

it’s going to be hysterical watching them play without him.

they must have a replacement lined up surely. i wonder who they will waste the money on.

Post #381754  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:48 am 

All kicking off....
Chelsea outbid Liverpool for Lavia
Liverpool look like they are interested in Caicedo.
Caicedo preference supposedly for Chelsea.
Id prefer him to go to Chelsea who are a s***show at the moment.
He goes to Liverpool and absolutely transforms their midfield and makes them more of a threat to us.

Post #381755  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

they must have a replacement lined up surely. i wonder who they will waste the money on.

Richarlson to step up?

Oh, wait......

Post #381756  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:51 am 

I cannot believe we are in for another number 6 if Partey is staying and we all thought that was where Rice was going to play as well.
Doesn't make sense unless Partey is going and its all gone quiet on that front.
I absolutely would NOT be selling Partey.
Let them fight it out or play together in the big games.
Whole point is to increase the quality and depth not weaken it by selling a player of Partey's quality and class.

Post #381757  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Whoever it is they'll have to pay over the odds because teams know they have a pile of cash and a Kane shaped hole to fill. Maybe Jonathan David from Lille

Post #381758  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:14 am 

david.d wrote:
All kicking off....
Chelsea outbid Liverpool for Lavia
Liverpool look like they are interested in Caicedo.
Caicedo preference supposedly for Chelsea.
Id prefer him to go to Chelsea who are a s***show at the moment.
He goes to Liverpool and absolutely transforms their midfield and makes them more of a threat to us.

It would be great if Brighton held on to Caicedo for 12 more months as this time next summer I can imagine us moving on Partey and Jorginho and Elneny so we'll need another defensive mid. He's a fantastic player, Liverpool need him more than Chelsea.

Heard more rumours about us going back in for Douglas Luiz. I can't see that happening this summer, maybe next though

Post #381759  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

10/10 would require a new centre forward.

Even better if we compare to what is going on at other clubs. I randomly looked up Newcastle this morning and they've moved on attackers and bought a shed load of defensive players when last year they were already defensively pretty solid. :laughing7:

Most of the others seem to have done 2/5 of f'all thus far so it's going to be a scramble over the next few weeks.

Post #381760  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Balogun :42laughter:

[ 390809 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9541, 9542, 9543, 9544, 9545, 9546, 9547 ... 9771  Next