Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grantyboy, john1 and 270 guests

Post #517521  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worth also noting that if Arsenal were 6th in the table in no way would spurs be sacking their manager. :laughing7:

I'm not sure that is a given after his comments

He wouldn’t have made those comments if Arsenal were 6th.

Post #517522  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Worth also noting that if Arsenal were 6th in the table in no way would spurs be sacking their manager. :laughing7:

Absolutely. They’re consumed by us.

Post #517523  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:03 am 

I wonder what Saka would be like in the position Ødegaard plays? I’m certainly not advocating unbalancing the team and trying something new right now but Saka has the skills to play that role and perhaps there is a case that getting him on the ball even more could help.
I don’t necessarily think he’d be an upgrade on what Ødegaard is producing but could be an able deputy if we find someone who could fill in for Saka.

Flexibility in positions is clearly something Arteta has identified in his recruitment and squad build. There are not many players in our squad who can only really play their primary position.

Going through the squad the only ones I can think of (apart from gk) are Holding, Elneny maybe Nketiah
I think all of our defenders can play CB or Full back or with Zinchenko he can play CM
Xhaka can play deeper or even in defence
Partey plays further forward for Ghana
And the entire front line can play in multiple positions epitomised by Trossard

It allows him to work with a smaller squad. It’s also something Man City have in abundance as well

Post #517524  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:20 am 

Rich wrote:
I wonder what Saka would be like in the position Ødegaard plays? I’m certainly not advocating unbalancing the team and trying something new right now but Saka has the skills to play that role and perhaps there is a case that getting him on the ball even more could help.
I don’t necessarily think he’d be an upgrade on what Ødegaard is producing but could be an able deputy if we find someone who could fill in for Saka.

Would be such a waste of his strengths. Starboy has absolutely shredded most of the full backs he’s come up against this season. They can’t contain him and resort to kicking him. Absolutely destroyed Luke Shaw at our place and that’s his international team mate.

I don’t doubt he could do it to a reasonable standard but honestly moving saka away from his match winning position would be like something Conte would do.

Post #517525  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 am 

Only 4 players have scored more goals for England at the age Saka is now….and all 4 of those (Dean, Greaves, Owen, Rooney) were strikers not right wingers

Post #517526  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am 

I have no idea who this is. Where is omoh or soc when you need them. lol

“The biggest regret of my whole football career was leaving White Hart Lane in 1970. My interest weakened after that. I was heartbroken

Attachments:

Post #517527  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 am 

Where ever I have traveled, the EPL has dominated in terms of which league people say they watch.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZJI9qdMVAdo?feature=share

Post #517528  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

“The biggest regret of my whole football career was leaving White Hart Lane in 1970. My interest weakened after that. I was heartbroken

Oddly enough, he was mentioned in the previous post. It's Jimmy Greaves.

Post #517529  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Jimmy Greaves - for many, the greatest of all English strikers.

Post #517530  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:10 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Spot on, Old Man.

Post #517531  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:35 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Spot on, Old Man.

Yes, I concur...made it look so easy.....brilliant finisher.....best domestic striker I have seen.

But my estimation of him was negatively impacted when I played against him at the end of his career....I played for Eton Manor against Barnet....he was strolling around midfield …probably in his late 30's by then.....best player on the pitch by a mile ….but he was awful...moaning and groaning all game and absolutely coating the poor ref at any opportunity

Shame as it spoiled the image I had built up about him

Post #517532  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:56 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
DHD wrote:

Spot on, Old Man.

Yes, I concur...made it look so easy.....brilliant finisher.....best domestic striker I have seen.

But my estimation of him was negatively impacted when I played against him at the end of his career....I played for Eton Manor against Barnet....he was strolling around midfield …probably in his late 30's by then.....best player on the pitch by a mile ….but he was awful...moaning and groaning all game and absolutely coating the poor ref at any opportunity

Good story Andy. At that stage in his career, he was probably pissed.

Post #517533  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Actually I never thought of that...you're probably right DHD

Post #517534  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
DHD wrote:

Actually I never thought of that...you're probably right DHD

The Barnet fans I know say it’s literally this. The absolute peak of his alcoholism and there was barely a game he didn’t turn up to drunk. Incredibly despite this many consider him their best ever player.

Post #517535  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:41 pm 

Partey only played 1 of the two internationals in this break.

It seems (hopefully) all our players return home healthy - despite Rodri’s best efforts

Post #517536  Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 pm 

Kiwior playing left back for Poland tonight

Post #517537  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm well acquainted with the name but didn't recognize the picture.

Post #517538  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:47 am 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Spot on, Old Man.

His name comes up all the time when great British footballers are discussed. I just hadn't realized he was tied to sperz so closely. Seems to be one of those players that transcended rivalries. Loved by all, even rival clubs. No?

Post #517539  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:56 am 

I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million. Perhaps those who watch the whole game can enlighten me as to why Bellingham I’d so wonderful and much more highly rated than Saka. It looked to me as if Saka was in the brilliant rating in the latest games, but I may be biased.

Post #517540  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:13 am 

May 1966 and Arsenal v Leeds produces the lowest ever attendance for a top flight game at Highbury, a fraction over 4,500. Is what the caption said, but another comment must have been from a Tottenham or Chelsea fan "I bet 4000 were Leeds fans" lol

Attachments:
arsenalLeeds.jpg
arsenalLeeds.jpg [ 18.99 KB | Viewed 4002 times ]

Post #517541  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million. Perhaps those who watch the whole game can enlighten me as to why Bellingham I’d so wonderful and much more highly rated than Saka. It looked to me as if Saka was in the brilliant rating in the latest games, but I may be biased.

I think there are a few things that go against Saka (wrongly) in people’s eyes. As a winger people kind of expect searing pace, step overs, flicks and tricks - of course we know Saka is more subtle than that, he’s ultra efficient without any of that. He’s about balance, mobility, intelligence and decision making - all quite boring things to the armchair fan.
Secondly I do think the fact he’s an Arsenal player gets a lot of peoples backs up. If he was at Man U the reaction in the media to him at least would by hyperbolic in the extreme.

I rate Bellingham very highly, but in terms of value Saka is at least the same as him if not more for me.

I can’t see a better right winger in world football right now

Post #517542  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:50 am 

It seems Partey does have a little niggle which meant he sat out the Ghana game. Arsenal are hopeful it’s minor and he can be fit for the weekend. If there is any doubt then he needs to sit out and get another 10 days rest. Play Jorginho, we should be able to beat Leeds without Partey

Post #517543  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
May 1966 and Arsenal v Leeds produces the lowest ever attendance for a top flight game at Highbury, a fraction over 4,500. Is what the caption said, but another comment must have been from a Tottenham or Chelsea fan "I bet 4000 were Leeds fans" lol

4,554. Unusually, it was a Thursday night - can't remember why. Probably an end-of-season fixture pile-up.

4,552 plus me and my old man standing out of frame, just to the right.

Post #517544  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million.

It sounds as if you don't read the Guardian or Athletic football coverage. The Athletic has published two features on Saka in the last day or two, 'The moment I realised Bukayo Saka was special' and 'Saka is second only to Kane as England's most vital player' (they're probably paywalled, though). And the Guardian hasn't exactly been keeping shtum:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... er-wembley

If anything, I think I'd prefer it if Saka was going more under the radar than he is.

Post #517545  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:27 am 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

4,554. Unusually, it was a Thursday night - can't remember why. Probably an end-of-season fixture pile-up.

Were you really at the game, DHD? That's hardcore Arsenal fandom right there. I think it was a fixture pile-up - there was another match at Highbury two days later (16,000 packed the stadium for that one v. Leicester). Regarding the minuscule crowd at the Leeds game, the fact that the European Cup Winner's Cup final between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund was live on TV that night wouldn't have helped.

Post #517546  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think there are a few things that go against Saka (wrongly) in people’s eyes. As a winger people kind of expect searing pace, step overs, flicks and tricks - of course we know Saka is more subtle than that, he’s ultra efficient without any of that. He’s about balance, mobility, intelligence and decision making - all quite boring things to the armchair fan.
Secondly I do think the fact he’s an Arsenal player gets a lot of peoples backs up. If he was at Man U the reaction in the media to him at least would by hyperbolic in the extreme.

I rate Bellingham very highly, but in terms of value Saka is at least the same as him if not more for me.

I can’t see a better right winger in world football right now

You are correct about the Man U live in. With Saka in the side England could actually win something. He is the best prospect I have seen in our team since Ces. Maybe I need to watch a full England match to see the value of Bellingham. Something that is not going to happen.

Post #517547  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don’t watch England games but will often catch some 3 mins highlights. But I don’t understand the way the UK media rate Bellingham as a 160million player after the latest internationals and Saka does not get a mention other than as an afterthought and it is presumed he is a player worth about 90million.

It sounds as if you don't read the Guardian or Athletic football coverage. The Athletic has published two features on Saka in the last day or two, 'The moment I realised Bukayo Saka was special' and 'Saka is second only to Kane as England's most vital player' (they're probably paywalled, though). And the Guardian hasn't exactly been keeping shtum:

If anything, I think I'd prefer it if Saka was going more under the radar than he is.

I don’t read the Athletic but subscribe to the Guardian. But I was talking about mainstream UK media who seem to regard Bellingham as some type of second coming.

Post #517548  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:48 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Quite so!

Post #517549  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:53 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:

Were you really at the game, DHD? That's hardcore Arsenal fandom right there. I think it was a fixture pile-up - there was another match at Highbury two days later (16,000 packed the stadium for that one v. Leicester). Regarding the minuscule crowd at the Leeds game, the fact that the European Cup Winner's Cup final between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund was live on TV that night wouldn't have helped.

Yes I was there McQ. We lived in Riversdale Road and it was a 5 min stroll. Don't think we missed a game for years.

Now that you mention it, I do recall there being a European Final on TV. Live football was pretty rare in those days.

Post #517550  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am 

Saka’s new contract being reported as £300k per week INCLUDING all incentives, endorsements and bonuses. So not £300k per week as a basic wage.

As far as I know all players get some degree of appearance bonus and win bonus, and many would have goal and assist bonuses built in.

Even if it was £300k a week basic he’s worth it.

Our annual wage bill is currently £135m a year less than Man U. Taking Saka’s wage from £75k/week to £300k/week is barely scratching the surface in bridging that gap. Guaranteed Champions league money next season all but secured as well….

Post #517551  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
His name comes up all the time when great British footballers are discussed. I just hadn't realized he was tied to sperz so closely. Seems to be one of those players that transcended rivalries. Loved by all, even rival clubs. No?
Yes he was transcendent, though as a down-to-earth man, he would have laughed at such a description. Although rightly much associated with Spurs his early days at Chelsea should not be forgotten. As a kid he was so exceptional AC Milan bought him, and he was able to score goals in Serie A. I once heard him say in an interview he would have liked to have played for Arsenal.

Post #517552  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:56 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes he was transcendent, though as a down-to-earth man, he would have laughed at such a description. Although rightly much associated with Spurs his early days at Chelsea should not be forgotten. As a kid he was so exceptional AC Milan bought him, and he was able to score goals in Serie A. I once heard him say in an interview he would have liked to have played for Arsenal.

This is what the Great Man said:
Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.

Post #517553  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:19 am 

DHD wrote:
This is what the Great Man said. Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.
Yes the weight of Arsenal's history lays heavily on Spurs, and that doesn't seem to be lifting any time soon. Mind you, that Spurs Double side was one of the best ever English outfits, and it came about because they were willing to spend a bit more on the very players we had been strongly linked with - Blanchflower, Mackay and Jones included.

Post #517554  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

This is what the Great Man said:
Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn't match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.

"Even in 1961 when we won the double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal" I've heard this quote before and hadn't realized it was him. Wow. Someone had it on their avatar on here I think. Can't recall.

Post #517555  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #517556  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:02 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

:58big-emoticons: I didn't know about the Chelsea association. Milan buying him is a statement.

Post #517557  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:06 pm 

Team of the season so far by the people who comment on the Give Me Sport site.
He's having his finest season but I raised an eyebrow to Xhaka's inclusion.

Attachments:

Post #517558  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 pm 

Leeds have a number of key injuries ahead of our game. Tyler Adam’s is definitely out, Wober and Gnonto were injured in the international break

Post #517559  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Partey ahead of Xhaka probably.
Martinelli only has 1 goal less than rashford and he has 1 more assist than him - shows how the Man U-centric media can build someone up. There is a genuine argument to have Martinelli over Rashford.

I also think White could be in ahead of Trippier but granted it would be strange to not have a Newcastle defender considering they’ve conceded the least in the league.

Alison probably deserves a shout in goal, he’s been Liverpool’s saviour so many times but unlikely to get recognised because of their general poor season

Post #517560  Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Partey ahead of Xhaka probably.
Martinelli only has 1 goal less than rashford and he has 1 more assist than him - shows how the Man U-centric media can build someone up. There is a genuine argument to have Martinelli over Rashford.

I also think White could be in ahead of Trippier but granted it would be strange to not have a Newcastle defender considering they’ve conceded the least in the league.

Alison probably deserves a shout in goal, he’s been Liverpool’s saviour so many times but unlikely to get recognised because of their general poor season

Haaland is the only one where your couldn't make a case for an Arsenal player. Amazing, considering where we were a few seasons ago.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12936, 12937, 12938, 12939, 12940, 12941, 12942 ... 13232  Next