Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, danny, Lincoln gooner and 77 guests

Post #378401  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:04 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Rich wrote:
So the Everton game is off, the PSV one is likely to go ahead, and the Brentford game may be postponed as it’s so close to the funeral…..so our next league game could be Spurs

Is this good Rich ? I think so. I would’ve rather played Everton and Brentford but…..
Gives Thomas time to recover to play Spurs.
Also allows a full first team to play PSV. I hate to tempt fate but we should be too strong. 6 point start in the group would be great.

Yes I think this is probably good for us.
The difficulty for all teams is where to fit these fixtures in. The only options in the calendar are the midweek slots kept free for the FA Cup 3rd and 4th round replays - so scrap the replays. Also they could make the League cup semi finals 1 leg and use that midweek. This is more of a problem for the teams in European competition because the other teams can play midweek when European games are on even though UEFA don’t like it.
The congestion will suit teams with big squads. None of the games can be rearranged until after the World Cup and the opening of the Jan transfer window though so a chance to strengthen and lose players before then. Much could change

Post #378402  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:11 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Bit sloshed so forgive me. Very agreeable bottle of Williamette Pinot Noir in the rear view mirror.

Curious as to the age range of the forumites… I think I’m in the senior age group with such other luminaries as OMOH, DHD, Parkerknoll Gooner, TG and Long Time. Mee sadly passed. Please excuse me if I have mis categorized you .

I’m past 40 now but still behave like a teenager I’m afraid Andy. Always got the impression I’m one of the younger forumites

My family are from south London and are Arsenal fans. I’m essentially an Arsenal fan because my Nan wouldn’t let my dad go to millwall because it was murders every week. Pretty much an addicted Arsenal fan, my dad used to take me on the north bank when I was just six and leave me at the front with the other kids and go to back with his mates. Seems crazy now and I certainly wouldn’t have done it with mine but I loved it and have never looked back.

I live just outside London and commute to games.

Post #378403  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hi Andy. There definitely is at least one female on the forum. But as she’s never revealed her gender, I’m never going to.

Is it AG?

Post #378404  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:59 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Hi Andy. There definitely is at least one female on the forum. But as she’s never revealed her gender, I’m never going to.

Is it AG?

:toothy4:

Post #378405  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:10 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Bit sloshed so forgive me. Very agreeable bottle of Williamette Pinot Noir in the rear view mirror.

Curious as to the age range of the forumites… I think I’m in the senior age group with such other luminaries as OMOH, DHD, Parkerknoll Gooner, TG and Long Time. Mee sadly passed. Please excuse me if I have mis categorized you
I was born December 1953 in London. Makes me 68. ( Supported the Arse forever. First game I really remember is beating Spurs at Highbury after Terry
Venables got married in the morning with GG as his best man)

Don’t think that makes me the oldest….certainly not the youngest. I’m not prying individually just intrigued by the demographics of this terrific group of world wide supporters of a great club.
I think that currently it is 100 per cent male ….

Curiosity killed the cat so please ignore this if it causes offence. Apologies in advance ….I’m an open book…I think I’m the only poster who uses his real full name. My London addresses before I moved to Philly were
20 Trinder Road N.19
1 The Woodlands Crouch Hill N.8
44 Gallants Farm Road East Barnet Herts EN48ES
12 Orpington Road London N.21
8 Old Park Ridings Grange Park,N.21

Any of you know North London my family are from the Bunk.
Campbell Bunk ….it’s gone now ….was a tough street ….near Playford Road in Finsbury Park. My Dad and his siblings were raised there

I think I’ll stop here as I am now well into the Nocino and this probably all reads like a lot of bollocks. Sorry. Night all.

Hi Andy

Born 1981, grew up in Devon and Somerset
Went to university in Portsmouth (know the city like the back of my hand Pompey Gooner)
Left there in 2006 and moved to London for work, qualified as an Architect and lived in Muswell Hill and latterly Clapham. Amazing how many Arsenal games I was able to get to by simply being close by and available at short notice as all sorts of people offer you a ride key if they know you’re a big fan.
Met my wife in London, she’s from Leeds and so in 2018 we moved to Leeds and now have two young kids…..and I work over in Manchester.

Incidentally the only reason I support Arsenal is because my dad supports them and the only reason he supports them is because his elder brother went to the university of Leeds and so started supporting Leeds and my dad decided he’d support Leeds rivals at the time which in the early 70’s was Arsenal. So I support Arsenal because of where my Uncle chose to go to university and my dad’s competitive younger brother personality

Post #378406  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:51 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Curious as to the age range of the forumites…

Born at the very arse-end of 1971, conceived on the night Storey equalised against Stoke in the Cup Semi final with virtually the last kick of the game. A very energised Dad came home from the game vigorously happy that evening apparently. I wouldn't be here if Storey had missed the peno.

Dad is North London, Mum is South London, my 2 older brothers were both born in London. Family moved to Pompey just before I was born. I've lived in Southsea (the nice bit of Pompey) all my life, and spent teenage years schlepping up to Highbury regularly about 10 times a season coz it was affordable in those days to do such things, apart from a couple of seasons of really excellent Pompey football under Jim Smith where I gave The Arse a miss. As things got more expensive and wife/son-and-heir arrived on the scene during the mid 90s my attendance at Highbury tailed off, and I haven't been to a live game since we moved to The Grove. My last live game was the 5-1 win over Wolves in the piss-pot cup when Fabregas became our youngest goal-scorer.

Turned 50 in December, and 10 years ago me and the wifey-doo-dah bought ourselves a property down in the North Devon countryside which we rent out for holidays and spend as much time in as we can through late-autumn, winter and early spring. Right now we are looking seriously at finally selling up and moving down there full time. All made possible by the advent of home-working thanks to covid.

Grew up in Harrow so got to see Arsenal regularly via the Piccadilly Line.

In the fifties and sixties our annual holiday was at my mum’s parents in Instow. The place seemed quite magical. Beach, ice cream, clotted cream, sandcastles, humorous postcards etc.

Last year we did a tour of the West Country taking in Bath, Wells and the wonderful coastal drive across Porlock and Countisbury. I was astounded to see how drab and run down Ilfracombe and Barnstaple and Bideford had become in the 10 years or so since last being there. Very sad indeed.

Post #378407  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 am 

Attachment:

By contrast we are here on holiday right now, this being the private area in front of our waterside villa. Just bliss.

Post #378408  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:00 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Attachment:
361BE3C2-BE28-4E99-801C-6CDF8E458A73.jpeg
By contrast we are here on holiday right now, this being the private area in front of our waterside villa. Just bliss.

Looks wonderful. Crete?

Post #378409  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:02 am 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Attachment:
361BE3C2-BE28-4E99-801C-6CDF8E458A73.jpeg

Looks wonderful. Crete?

Well spotted. Aghios Nikolaos. Our of our several regular haunts. My missus is just ace at finding great accommodation and locations.

Post #378410  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:46 am 

Other sports seem to have taken a more reasonable approach. Loads of sport taking place. They are demonstrating that you can pay tribute without shutting the whole thing down.

And I reckon that our Brentford game will fall by the wayside due to policing (lack of) on the day before the funeral.

Post #378411  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:42 am 

My dad’s dad was a tube train driver and lived in Earls Court (a curiously old fashioned flat - definitely not a luxury apartment). He was a regular at Highbury over many years and used to tell me about the Bank of England club days. Strangely, and possibly due to being busy in a war, my father never really took to football. It was another relative who got me into Arsenal at about 9 years old. He enrolled me in the supporters club and I got a whole package of bits including the standard plain red/white scarf.

All very mysterious back then with minimal media coverage.

Post #378412  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:17 pm 

Thank you to all….fascinating reading.I really appreciate you sharing your stories.
As an expatriate I really enjoy this forum….it is a great source of information, humour and occasionally the sublime!
It is the nearest I get to meeting my mates down the pub.
33 years in Philly now….hoping to finish what I started by the end of next year and move back to blighty in 2024. Probably in Sussex…it ticks all my boxes….easy commute to London and both major airports…..my sister lives in Brighton, my eldest boy and his family live in Rustington….my youngest will never leave North London
Anyhow cheers all….

Post #378413  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Looks wonderful. Crete?

Well spotted. Aghios Nikolaos. Our of our several regular haunts. My missus is just ace at finding great accommodation and locations.

Nice try! Not fooling me though :12hello-bye:

Post #378414  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:40 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Thank you to all….fascinating reading.I really appreciate you sharing your stories.
As an expatriate I really enjoy this forum….it is a great source of information, humour and occasionally the sublime!
It is the nearest I get to meeting my mates down the pub.
33 years in Philly now….hoping to finish what I started by the end of next year and move back to blighty in 2024. Probably in Sussex…it ticks all my boxes….easy commute to London and both major airports…..my sister lives in Brighton, my eldest boy and his family live in Rustington….my youngest will never leave North London
Anyhow cheers all….

You’ll end up close to me then (there’s a warning for you). I’m in Storrington.

Post #378415  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:41 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Aw shucks.

Post #378416  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Looks wonderful. Crete?

Love it there. St Nicolas Bay Hotel?

Post #378417  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:04 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Love it there. St Nicolas Bay Hotel?

No it’s this one.

https://www.minosbeach.com/

I’ve just looked up the one that you mentioned. It looks good too. And it’s just across the water from where I am sitting right now. I’ve seen several Arsenal games over the years at the Galley Bar, including the recent Man U one.

Post #378418  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:50 pm 

Andy Green wrote:

Curious as to the age range of the forumites… I think I’m in the senior age group with such other luminaries as OMOH, DHD, Parkerknoll Gooner, TG and Long Time. Mee sadly passed. Please excuse me if I have mis categorized you
I was born December 1953 in London. Makes me 68. ( Supported the Arse forever. First game I really remember is beating Spurs at Highbury after Terry
Venables got married in the morning with GG as his best man)

Don’t think that makes me the oldest….certainly not the youngest. I’m not prying individually just intrigued by the demographics of this terrific group of world wide supporters of a great club….

Yes indeed an old bluffer now, though think I was still clinging to my 30s when I first stumbled across this forum, time really does fly. I’m from the 1958 vintage and inherited my love of the Club from my Father and Grandfather. Grandfather was born a farmer’s boy in Worcestershire and ended up a “Bobby” in Walthamstow through the war. Dad was born and raised around York Rd before escaping to one of the New Town’s where I was born.

Came up with my username, Parkerknoll, as a pun on armchair supporter which I’ve been for the past 20 plus years. I now live in leafy Buckinghamshire just a few miles from the Parkerknoll workshop, who knew.

Post #378419  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

Aw shucks.

Easy to work out, there is no way in this day and age that a male would have been able to get away with your previous avatar!

Post #378420  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:23 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Aw shucks.

Easy to work out, there is no way in this day and age that a male would have been able to get away with your previous avatar!

To an expected round chorus of “I don’t believe you”…

… when I originally chose it all those years ago I didn’t realise that the ‘kit’ was merely paint. Dopey old b***** I am.

Post #378421  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:27 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Aw shucks.

I’ve met LTG. He is definitely male.

Post #378422  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

… when I originally chose it all those years ago I didn’t realise that the ‘kit’ was merely paint. Dopey old b***** I am.

I rather liked it.

Post #378423  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

To be fair, that is quite hard to believe!

Post #378424  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

It must be you then :42laughter:

Post #378425  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:20 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I rather liked it.

Personally, I had no problem with it!

Post #378426  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:21 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I haven't met Bernard. He is definitely male.

Post #378427  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:22 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I rather liked it.

Personally, I had no problem with it!

It was in the very best taste, I thought.

Post #378428  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:33 pm 

DHD wrote:
I have no time for the monarchy but the death of a nice old lady is sad.

Pretty much on the money , she had a lot of class .

Fair chance the monarchy will end up a massive train wreck with Charles , Andrew and Harry around .

Post #378429  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:59 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

I haven't met Bernard. He is definitely male.

It must be TG. He tells us how to think, he knows everything and what our opinions should be. Just like another wife.

Post #378430  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:16 pm 

Andy Green wrote:

Born Hamilton NZ ; April 1945

..... got to say your drinking needs a bit of fine tuning Andy ; instead of sniffing fumes and simpering with your little finger stuck out try imbibing 3/4 of a 1100 ml bottle of Captain Morgan .

Post #378431  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
A shocking deprivation. Where will it all end?

Gidday Old Man .... surfing You Tube the other day stumbled on some tennis Alcaraz v some Greek dude Tsitsipas .

Gave it a watch....... Mama Mia ...... the ferocity that young Spaniard [ 19 ] hits the ball from all positions on the court , used the drop shot frequently and refreshingly came into the net .

Shows how the game has progressed I doubt greats like Laver , Newk , Ashe would get a game off him

Post #378432  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:10 am 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Gidday Old Man .... surfing You Tube the other day stumbled on some tennis Alcaraz v some Greek dude Tsitsipas .

Gave it a watch....... Mama Mia ...... the ferocity that young Spaniard [ 19 ] hits the ball from all positions on the court , used the drop shot frequently and refreshingly came into the net .

Shows how the game has progressed I doubt greats like Laver , Newk , Ashe would get a game off him

Evening kiwipete. I don’t watch tennis these days. I’ve heard of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and that Scottish bloke, was it Murray? But I couldn’t tell you their style of play.

But I did used to watch Wimbledon in Rod Laver’s day, and Arthur Ashe, John Newcombe and so on. What I always think with comments like yours and them not winning a single game off some 19 year old Spaniard that I’ve not heard of before is that they would have not only played with modern racquets but they’d have the same training and dietary regimes and thus fitness levels relevant to players now.

Same with F1 drivers of the past. I reckon if you put the likes of Schumacher, Prost, Lauda and Senna in Lewis Hamilton’s (or whoever else’s) car they’d beat him. I’m certain golf clubs must have changed. Give Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer or Gary Player all the modern gear and wouldn’t they keep up with modern golfers? Tiger Woods is presumably a past it has been but I don’t know who the best current golfers are.

It’s what we’ve said here about comparing footballers from different generations. I still think Maradona was better than Messi and Pele was better than Ronaldo. Beckenbauer or Van Dijk? Give me a break. Van Dijk isn’t even close.

Post #378433  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Evening kiwipete. I don’t watch tennis these days. I’ve heard of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and that Scottish bloke, was it Murray? But I couldn’t tell you their style of play.

But I did used to watch Wimbledon in Rod Laver’s day, and Arthur Ashe, John Newcombe and so on. What I always think with comments like yours and them not winning a single game off some 19 year old Spaniard that I’ve not heard of before is that they would have not only played with modern racquets but they’d have the same training and dietary regimes and thus fitness levels relevant to players now.
I still think Maradona was better than Messi and Pele was better than Ronaldo. Beckenbauer or Van Dijk? Give me a break. Van Dijk isn’t even close.

Afternoon Bernard ... wasn't meaning to denigrate the memories of those tennis greats . You are right ; Racquets have probably contributed the biggest difference those space age composites generate far more power . footwear , fitness levels , sports psychology etc have made it a whole different ball game
..... :laughing7: " whole different ball game " what a pun ..... taking a leaf out of Socrates' book

I went to the Aussie Open one time all the big timers of the day Okker , Newcombe , Roche , Ashe , Lutz , Emerson , were chugging beer in the general public domain like there was no tomorrow .
Disagree on Messi and Maradona ... partly I guess because I considered the latter a tubby cheating little pr**ck .

Post #378434  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:48 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I still think Maradona was better than Messi and Pele was better than Ronaldo. Beckenbauer or Van Dijk? Give me a break. Van Dijk isn’t even close.

Afternoon Bernard ... wasn't meaning to denigrate the memories of those tennis greats . You are right ; Racquets have probably contributed the biggest difference those space age composites generate far more power . footwear , fitness levels , sports psychology etc have made it a whole different ball game
..... :laughing7: " whole different ball game " what a pun ..... taking a leaf out of Socrates' book

I went to the Aussie Open one time all the big timers of the day Okker , Newcombe , Roche , Ashe , Lutz , Emerson , were chugging beer in the general public domain like there was no tomorrow .
Disagree on Messi and Maradona ... partly I guess because I considered the latter a tubby cheating little pr**ck .

I just saw Maradona do things with a ball that I don’t think Messi could. Maradona’s ability took my breath away far more than Messi did. Also modern players play on grass billiard tables and don’t have defenders entitled to put them out the game for six months without getting a yellow card. It’s just so easy for modern players.

Post #378435  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:03 am 

Andy Green wrote:

Curious as to the age range of the forumites… I think I’m in the senior age group with such other luminaries as OMOH, DHD, Parkerknoll Gooner, TG and Long Time.

I'm quite a bit younger than most posters on here, being born in January of 1985 which makes me 37. Joined the forum sometime in 2006 at 21 years of age, and as I'm typing this I realize it means that in a few years I will have spent literally half my life talking about Arsenal on this forum. Not sure how much of an accomplishment that is. I have to say though, the somewhat higher average age of this forum compared to others was one of the factors that got me interested in this place to begin with; it brought a perspective that you wouldn't find anywhere else. There was also a higher percentage of season ticket holders on here than on other forums that have a more global core group of posters. I also liked the fact that there wasn't separate threads for every subject - felt more like walking into a pub where Arsenal was debated alongside politics, wine and sophists.

English football has been broadcast on TV in Sweden since the 60s, so a lot of people born in the 50s and 60s grew up supporting clubs a thousand miles away. When Arsenal won the double in 71 my dad was 12 years old, so Arsenal became his team and when I was a kid I simply followed suit. I really lucked out there, started following the club more seriously around 1994 so I didn't have to wait long for the golden years. Saw Arsenal play live for the first time in a pre-season friendly in 1995, just about an hours drive from where I grew up in Sweden, and my first league game came in November 1997 against Liverpool. We lost that game, with Steve McManaman scoring the only goal, but then we went onto win the double anyway so that's fine. Honestly don't remember much at all from the game itself, but I do remember seeing Highbury for the first time and how loud the crowd was. Also remember being seasick on the boat over to England which was not a pleasant experience - me, my dad and my older brother spent that night taking turns running to the bathroom. Totally worth it though!

I've been fortunate enough to come over and catch a few games here and there in the years following that - not sure about the exact number as I would have to dig through some old photos and fixture lists for that, but I've seen somewhere around 10-12 games in total. A few at Highbury, a few at the Emirates and one at Craven Cottage in 2004. We're planning to go again sometime this season, probably in the spring.

Thanks for your post Andy, it's always interesting to get to know a little more about the people on here. Although your post also made me go back and read a bit from the start of this version of the forum all the way back in 2008 - I don't recommend to anyone to go back and read your own posts from when you were 23-24!

Post #378436  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Agreed. I am one of those who see Margaret Court as the greatest female tennis player of all time despite the era in which she played,

Post #378437  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:43 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Hi Kiwi - Bernard may have covered the points on this subject, though I note he did not mention Bungert, who as we know, would have made Alcaraz look like a novice...

Enjoy this little beaut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyYMhVGtWO4

Post #378438  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:46 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
... I am one of those who see Margaret Court as the greatest female tennis player of all time despite the era in which she played,
Absolutely - her record speaks for itself, and the cancellers will never be able to change that.

Post #378439  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:24 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Thanks for your enjoyable post Andy. I imagine you have come across it, but if not Jerry White's book Campbell Bunk is well worth a read.

As for me, born 1950 in South London; raised the son of a Smithfield Meat Market father and an early morning office cleaner mother - the most giving of parents who backed me in whatever I chose to do. I have two wonderful younger sisters; a wife of getting on for 47 years (a proper Bermondsey girl); one son who lives in Canada with his beautiful wife and our almost two-year old granddaughter - the jewels of our lives. I was fortunate to attend an achieving comprehensive school off the Old Kent Road where the teachers were good enough to get me to University College, London. After the obligatory larking about in the late 60s and early 70s (including travel to Franco's Spain and Salazar's Portugal) my career was in local government, most latterly as a manager of capital projects. Now retired, I am quite pleased with some of the schemes I worked on, especially the parks, sports and leisure ones - you will have heard little of any of them, but perhaps the Peckham Library might ring a bell?

Arsenal of course through my dad and grandad - Millwall too (you had too in my neighbourhood) and latterly Dartford FC. I love all varieties of music but can't play a note; enjoy cinema, books, most sports and am a self-published local historian, from which I get nothing but pleasure. Still believe Pele is the greatest of all time and that the Gunners will one day win the league again.

Post #378440  Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:07 pm 

Thursday getting called off by the grief police now

[ 398394 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9458, 9459, 9460, 9461, 9462, 9463, 9464 ... 9960  Next