Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie, Rich and 289 guests

Post #502321  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:50 am 

Rich wrote:
Xhaka suspended for the final group game

Brilliant idea of him to grab an opposition player and try to drag him off the pitch quicker. That was always going to end well wasn’t it? Self induced yellow.

Post #502322  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:26 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He’s in a rock and a hard place. His back up in midfield and up front is championship level. He got stick for playing saka last week but if he had rested him I doubt we would have won. The players who have come in just aren’t proving themselves. Nketiah limited, Lokonga looks slap bang mediocre, Marquinhos not ready. Vieira lightweight. I think we miss Emile Smith Rowe a little because he runs between lines but we need another martinelli type who can run at defenders. I wouldn’t say the missing players would really affect much either but loaning Balogun looks an error as he would definitely be getting games right now

Very difficult this. A protracted run in the competition could really harm our league form and you start to long for the January transfer window.

Not sure about Balogun, he’s got 7 goals in France, he would have only had a handful of Europa games for us and even that wouldn’t be guaranteed. His loan was the right move.

I think the loan is going well but he would have got minutes

Also the one which is even harder to admit is Pépé. A frustrating player but surely a better option than vieira wide

Post #502323  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:29 am 

Very concerning. Last night had been coming. We've been getting away with increasingly poor performances, especially in the second half of games, and yesterday the *%^@ really hit the fan. Last night was a flashback to some of the worst performances under Arteta.

The pitch was slippery, maybe overwatered, but some of our players couldn't trap a bag of cement.

I would expect us to beat Forest at home but I am not sure how we regain our early season spark with Chelsea on the horizon.

Obviously our rotation options are not great but I think it was Rich who pointed out that even City do not rotate as much as you would think they do.

Ødegaard seems increasingly ineffectual post 45 mins, Saliba is looking a bit leaden-footed on the turn, Martinelli looked like he'd won a fan contest to play in the game, Nketiah missed some really good chances. Everyone put in a 4 out of 10 (or less) performance.

Post #502324  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:05 am 

socrates wrote:
Very concerning. Last night had been coming. We've been getting away with increasingly poor performances, especially in the second half of games, and yesterday the *%^@ really hit the fan. Last night was a flashback to some of the worst performances under Arteta.

The pitch was slippery, maybe overwatered, but some of our players couldn't trap a bag of cement.

I would expect us to beat Forest at home but I am not sure how we regain our early season spark with Chelsea on the horizon.

Obviously our rotation options are not great but I think it was Rich who pointed out that even City do not rotate as much as you would think they do.

Ødegaard seems increasingly ineffectual post 45 mins, Saliba is looking a bit leaden-footed on the turn, Martinelli looked like he'd won a fan contest to play in the game, Nketiah missed some really good chances. Everyone put in a 4 out of 10 (or less) performance.

PSV are no mugs (they have been scoring for fun) so I'd put that one down to experience.

We really should handle Zurich at home. I agree with those saying we have to keep trusting the fringe players. The only way they will improve is if they play. Nketiah gets a couple of goals and he may be a different player.

Whether we have the squad to compete on multiple fronts is another question entirely.

Post #502325  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Not sure about Balogun, he’s got 7 goals in France, he would have only had a handful of Europa games for us and even that wouldn’t be guaranteed. His loan was the right move.

I think the loan is going well but he would have got minutes

Also the one which is even harder to admit is Pépé. A frustrating player but surely a better option than vieira wide

And very effective in the European games, if I remember correctly

Post #502326  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Been thinking about rotation again after seeing lots of criticism of Arteta online tonight. I’ll be honest I don’t know what more he could have done, yeah one or two players here and there but we’ve won 3 out of 4 Europa games by a single goal, much more rotation or playing of kids and we might not be in a position to qualify for the next round.

He’s in a rock and a hard place. His back up in midfield and up front is championship level. He got stick for playing saka last week but if he had rested him I doubt we would have won. The players who have come in just aren’t proving themselves. Nketiah limited, Lokonga looks slap bang mediocre, Marquinhos not ready. Vieira lightweight. I think we miss Emile Smith Rowe a little because he runs between lines but we need another martinelli type who can run at defenders. I wouldn’t say the missing players would really affect much either but loaning Balogun looks an error as he would definitely be getting games right now

Very difficult this. A protracted run in the competition could really harm our league form and you start to long for the January transfer window.

Hopefully in the upcoming transfer window we use the money to get someone who can hit the ground running in the Premier League. Vieira is turning out to be a mini version of Pépé (as in ‘watch this space’) at about half the cost. He might come good but that’s not what we need right now.

The imminent World Cup break might actually help us to regroup and get going again.

Post #502327  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:40 am 

Zed wrote:
As LTG stated, Zurich will be up for it. As well as their ultra fan base. I mean afterall a 2-1 win going in against an Arsenal 2-0 loss gives confidence. Obviously. Well being no choice but a win Nov 3 is a must do now for Arsenal. A win tonight could have avoided a knock out round against Barca, Juve or Atletico Madrid. Won't that be a lot of fun, if it happens.

Morning Zed
Bodo will also be up for it as they are now fighting Zurich for that 3rd place berth to go into the Europa Conference so PSV wont have it all their own way especially on that artificial pitch.
I know what round of fixtures i'd prefer going into the last game

Post #502328  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:11 pm 

Let's hope the team start hard and fast against Forest this weekend. And, get the goals early.
We cannot to afford to drop any points this weekend. Confidence will be smashed.

Post #502329  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hopefully in the upcoming transfer window we use the money to get someone who can hit the ground running in the Premier League. Vieira is turning out to be a mini version of Pépé (as in ‘watch this space’) at about half the cost. He might come good but that’s not what we need right now.

The imminent World Cup break might actually help us to regroup and get going again.

It can come quickly enough.

Post #502330  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 pm 

An interesting goal by Trusty this evening for Birmingham vs QPR. Another loanee who is impressing.

Post #502331  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:02 pm 

I think we will turn up on Sunday. He will have bollocked the players, it’s a home game, nice kick off time our fans will be bang up for it.

I do think Edu and Arteta need to rain check some of their transfer market behaviour. If Arteta doesn’t see it with any player he won’t persist and try and force the player on even if there isn’t a replacement lined up or the transfer doesn’t make sense. There seems little pragmatism about it and if there was a David Dein type at the club I do wonder if someone would pull Arteta to one side.

The one for me that scratches my head right now is letting Pépé go on loan whilst paying a chunk of his wages and not having a replacement winger. He’s far from a perfect player and his tracking back is poor etc etc but in the season before last he scored 16 goals in all competitions and provided numerous assists. Which of our players on the bench right now can do that ? I mean literally nobody. I’m not saying Pépé is a god, or even don’t sell him but letting him go without a replacement looks nuts right now to me.

I’m not slating Arteta who is a very good coach but it does seem a flaw. He just can’t abide by certain types

Post #502332  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi LTG,
The big regroup will be the friendlies MA will have a few players not called up for the WC Friendlies will take place during the WC. MA wants to keep players in peak condition for the festive season.

Post #502333  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:35 pm 

david.d wrote:
Zed wrote:
As LTG stated, Zurich will be up for it. As well as their ultra fan base. I mean afterall a 2-1 win going in against an Arsenal 2-0 loss gives confidence. Obviously. Well being no choice but a win Nov 3 is a must do now for Arsenal. A win tonight could have avoided a knock out round against Barca, Juve or Atletico Madrid. Won't that be a lot of fun, if it happens.

Morning Zed
Bodo will also be up for it as they are now fighting Zurich for that 3rd place berth to go into the Europa Conference so PSV wont have it all their own way especially on that artificial pitch.
I know what round of fixtures i'd prefer going into the last game

Hi David,
Almost forgot about that artificial pitch at Bodo. PSV may have played on it anyway before. Arse still top, Just hope we knock Zurich out.

Post #502334  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:53 am 

I quite fancy Leicester to take points off City today. Touch wood!

Post #502335  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:17 pm 

Brighton playing like they have something to prove to Potter - 2-0 up after 15 minutes, and Thiago Silva has cleared it off the line twice already.

Post #502336  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:28 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brighton playing like they have something to prove to Potter - 2-0 up after 15 minutes, and Thiago Silva has cleared it off the line twice already.

And Spurs behind at Bournemouth

Post #502337  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:47 pm 

Potter has the 2nd half before the hounds are on him :14laughter:

Post #502338  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:54 pm 

Spurs may come back in win this but they are very poor again.

I found it strange when so many people thought that the next logical step when spurs were playing badly and winning was that spurs play well and win rather than spurs keep playing badly and lose

Post #502339  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:00 pm 

Early doors for Potter, but I'm not convinced so far. Hasn't had much time to put his stamp on the side and they have a few key injuries, but the formation looks off. Sterling as a sort of wing back is just such a bad idea - he's a player for the final third and nothing else. Isn't very good in the press, doesn't put in a shift defensively, what he does is score and assist and if you're going to play him you need to put him in a position to do that.

I'm all here for it though. A win tomorrow and we can go 10 points clear of them before the game at Stamford Bridge.

Post #502340  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:34 pm 

B'mouth are bending over.

Post #502341  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:55 pm 

Damn it Bournemouth...

Post #502342  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:45 pm 

Elneny back in full training. Still might be too soon to see him before the World Cup but gives him chance to be raring to go for the Xmas period.

Initial prognosis was January so he looks ahead of schedule

Post #502343  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:02 pm 

Ever since Joe Gomes played 1 good game this season and everyone said he should be straight in the england squad he’s been pretty awful.

Ben White continues to go about his business quite brilliantly this season

Post #502344  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:22 pm 

Caicedo looks like he’ll be the next big money exit from Brighton. He looks top class

Post #502345  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Caicedo looks like he’ll be the next big money exit from Brighton. He looks top class

Trossard is having a breakthrough season as well. Thought he was very good whenever I watched Brighton last season, quick and lively, always making something happen but the end product wasn't quite there. He's adding goals to his game at a much better rate and I can see him being successful as a squad player for a bigger team.

Post #502346  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:42 pm 

Liverpool beaten at home by Leeds. Wow.

Post #502347  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:46 pm 

Did say Liverpool were in serious trouble when all the pundits were saying they’d be fine. I even caveated nicely to account for wins like the City performance - although predicted they’d lose that. :laughing7:

Post #502348  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:48 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Trossard is having a breakthrough season as well. Thought he was very good whenever I watched Brighton last season, quick and lively, always making something happen but the end product wasn't quite there. He's adding goals to his game at a much better rate and I can see him being successful as a squad player for a bigger team.

Is he 27? Maybe slightly too late in his career for a big big move. He’s also close to guaranteed starter. I’d advise him to stay put, but I guess money will talk.

Post #502349  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 pm 

So who do you think will get sacked next. My top 3: Klopp, Rogers and Potter but in no particular order.

Post #502350  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:56 pm 

We've seen 2 clubs in the EPL become uber rich overnight. Chelsea and City to a lesser extent Leicester. But for the purposes of this post I'll use Chelsea and City. Eventually, both clubs won titles within the first 5 or 6 years I think and when they won it depended on where they started out. Chelsea was already a top 3-4 club with a good manager capable of winning, when they got an extremely rich owner and it took them only 2 seasons to bridge the gap.

City got bought by an Abu Dhabi based group in 2014, prior to that they were owned in part by a Thai billionaire I believe, in 2007. Took them about half a dozen seasons to win the title.

Newcastle will do so in about that time or less if I had to take a guess. This season they have only lost one game. They are tough to beat with a good manager who now has limitless money. Like other clubs who were not good before but got limitless funds, the hard part isn't paying for a great player, its convincing them to come. I wouldn't be surprised if they are top 5 this season and a top 4 fixture after that and it makes it that much harder for us, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man Utd as it adds one extra side that will be more than capable of top 4.

They will be a force.

Post #502351  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:58 pm 

Patrick Bamford’s attempt at a first touch was the assist for Leeds winner :1laughter:

And that wasn’t his worst first touch in the game.

He’s one of the worst finishers for a regular starter as a striker in the league I can remember.

Post #502352  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
So who do you think will get sacked next. My top 3: Klopp, Rogers and Potter but in no particular order.

Can’t see potter in danger tbh, he’s the definition of a slow build project manager. The anti-Conte if you will. Surely if he makes Europe he’ll be fine. I expect Chelsea to get stronger as the season progresses mostly because their squad is massive and they’ll out last everyone else.

Klopp I think will be fine for this season. But has got to be top 4/ title challenge next season.

Rodgers must be gone.

Hassenhutl is always precarious.

Post #502353  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:43 pm 

As to when City's Abou Dhabi owner Sheikh Mansour bought City from Thaksin Shinawatra, it was 2008, not 2014. Khaldoon Al Mubarak, has been chairman since 2008 at City.
It is what it is.

Post #502354  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:23 am 

Tottenham stubbornly hanging on just enough for us to worry. I might have to wear a Tottenham shirt next time I go to Vegas or buy a lottery ticket after yesterdays match and a few previous ones. With Chelsea on the horizon dropped points a real possibility. I think top 4 is pretty much there, and I'm not worried about winning the title this season. I'd like us to get runner up. Its a statement making league position if we can stay there at season's end. Liverpool is the only side I would have been worried about getting there but they are having serious issues. Can't believe I'm actually not considering Liverpool as a top 4 threat but I am >>>this close<<< to doing so.

We're starting to put enough distance between us and Chelsea where we might not have to seriously consider them of catching us unless we go on a bad run and they go on a good one. If West Ham can get something out of the Man Utd game (doubt it) we can start looking at Tottenham and Newcastle as the challengers to top 4.

Liverpool are the only thing stopping City from making the EPL look like the Bundesliga.

Post #502355  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:17 am 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Can’t see potter in danger tbh, he’s the definition of a slow build project manager. The anti-Conte if you will. Surely if he makes Europe he’ll be fine. I expect Chelsea to get stronger as the season progresses mostly because their squad is massive and they’ll out last everyone else.

Klopp I think will be fine for this season. But has got to be top 4/ title challenge next season.

Rodgers must be gone.

Hassenhutl is always precarious.

I doubt any of those three will be gone soon. Liverpool would have to be Manchester United level bonkers to fire Klopp, and they clearly are not.

Leicester have been better recently and losing a close one to City is not a sackable offence.

Its interesting the Conte is fourth favourite to get the sack!

Post #502356  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:47 am 

The American feed often has interesting tidbits I've not seen on the English feed pre or post game. The commentary and analysis is often not as polite as you will hear in the UK. Way more banter as well.

Post #502357  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:56 am 

Ash wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Is he 27? Maybe slightly too late in his career for a big big move. He’s also close to guaranteed starter. I’d advise him to stay put, but I guess money will talk.

Trossard’s contract is up in 6 months. If he keeps playing like he is he’ll have his pick of the (richer) clubs and will surely go to the bigger contract

Post #502358  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:00 am 

I’ve seen Chelsea fans compare Potter’s ‘rebuild’ to what Arteta has done at Arsenal - as if they need 3 years to compete.

Ignores so many factors.
1) Arsenal’s squad was in the toilet when Arteta took over
2) Chelsea just spent £225m this summer to fix things and will have far more money than Arteta ever had even though people use Arteta’s spend as a stick to beat him with
3) Arteta also had to deal with the covid effected seasons

Post #502359  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:04 am 

Howe is going a fantastic job at Newcastle, and there are only really maybe 3 players that their Saudi money has bought for them. Guimaraes, Botman, Isak. None of those 3 move there without the money.
But players and prices for the likes of Pope, Wood, Burn, Targett, Willock, trippier we’re all within Newcastle’s normal reach I’d say - it was just under Ashley they didn’t invest as they could have.

The squad is still very thin on quality depth so injuries could affect them but no europe means they’re in the one game a week territory. They need to be considered a proper threat to top 4

Post #502360  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:28 am 

Rich wrote:
Howe is going a fantastic job at Newcastle, and there are only really maybe 3 players that their Saudi money has bought for them. Guimaraes, Botman, Isak. None of those 3 move there without the money.
But players and prices for the likes of Pope, Wood, Burn, Targett, Willock, trippier we’re all within Newcastle’s normal reach I’d say - it was just under Ashley they didn’t invest as they could have.

The squad is still very thin on quality depth so injuries could affect them but no europe means they’re in the one game a week territory. They need to be considered a proper threat to top 4

Hi Rich,

Newcastle are the definite dark horses for a top 4 spot. A well balanced team filled with quality and energy and one that will likely only get better with some new additions.

Wish we had followed up our interest in Guimaraes

As you point out, no european football helps enormously.

I don't think many teams will go to St James's park and get a win.

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12556, 12557, 12558, 12559, 12560, 12561, 12562 ... 13006  Next