Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 43 guests

Post #371081  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
I wonder if Arteta would consider taking back Guendouzi. He is thriving in his role at Marseille, and is Captain at that.

Which one of Ødegaard, vieira, Smithers or xhaka would you drop to accommodate him?

Why haven’t you included Partey in the shortlist? He’s better than Partey.

Post #371082  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:20 am 

Another reason why Conte might not be successful in the long term is the way he handles the squad. When asked why Matt Doherty hasn't played yet this season Conte replied "I'm not an idiot, I don't want to lose" which is just a bizarre comment to make in my opinion, and certainly can't be good for squad morale. Artet has had some pretty public falling outs with players, but you won't hear him openly disparage player performances like that.

Even with someone like Pépé, who Arteta clearly doesn't rate, he would always talk about how it's his fault certain players aren't getting enough minutes and how Pépé is excellent in training, has a great attitude etc. With the thin squad Tottenham has, I just don't see the advantage in alienating squad players like that for no reason.

Post #371083  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
I wonder if Arteta would consider taking back Guendouzi. He is thriving in his role at Marseille, and is Captain at that.

Which one of Ødegaard, vieira, Smithers or xhaka would you drop to accommodate him?

Not to drop anyone, shore up in case of injuries

Post #371084  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:33 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not to drop anyone, shore up in case of injuries

Expecting an outbreak of the plague or something ?

That’s 4 competing for 2 spots

Post #371085  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
These stats are why I just can’t see what Spurs do as being sustainable. They’re too reliant on creating a low number of high quality chances and having elite finishers convert those chances at an unsustainable rate. I honestly think teams will work them out as you really just need to stop their only method of scoring, they don’t have multiple threats.

1. I can't see any team managing to stem the flow of chances much more than is already the case.
2. Given that they do have Son and Kane, what grounds are there for thinking the conversion rate will drop?

Post #371086  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't see Ødegaard Vieira and Smith Rowe as competing for the same places as Xhaka, Partey, and Sambi. I haven't followed his form, but getting a combative CM like Guendouzi would surely be very handy to shore up the latter group.

Post #371087  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
These stats are why I just can’t see what Spurs do as being sustainable. They’re too reliant on creating a low number of high quality chances and having elite finishers convert those chances at an unsustainable rate. I honestly think teams will work them out as you really just need to stop their only method of scoring, they don’t have multiple threats.

I’d like to think you’re right Rich. But Conte was appointed nearly a year ago (7/11/21) and it’s worked for them so far. How long will it have to work for it to be seen as sustainable? I really don’t see Kane and Son declining any time soon.

It has worked in so far that he scraped 4th ahead of us when we were quite depleted at the end of the season. Is that style going to win titles - highly unlikely. Might it win a cup - possibly - but I think they'd need to be very lucky to do it with the tactics they have.

My prediction is more teams will work Spurs out this season. They have very little genuine creative players who can unpick a crowded defence. Also 1 mistake in their tactics rips everything up for them, if they fall behind to anyone decent they have to flip their tactics on their head - that has always seemed a bit strange to me. They've not started well in the CL, 1 point and no goals and their fans are getting restless at the boring football they're being served up each week. I also predict some Mourinho style fallings out and rants from Conte this season as he attempts to distance himself from any mistakes or poor results. Conte's contract is up in 8 months and I don't think he will extend.

Then where do Spurs go from there. Harry Kane will be 30 and have 1 year left on his deal this summer. Most of their reliable elite performers are 29 or over. They have lowered the age of the squad with some recent signings but not many of them have shown they're at top 4 level. I also wonder how the repayment of the stadium is going.....

This season is Conte's win or bust season, he can go all at it and if he fails he can walk away - probably in to the Juve job - and Spurs are left to pick up the pieces.

Of course I'm biased and I hope all of this happens but I think it will for them as well

Post #371088  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:51 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

1. I can't see any team managing to stem the flow of chances much more than is already the case.
2. Given that they do have Son and Kane, what grounds are there for thinking the conversion rate will drop?

Teams get worked out, and working out Conte's football is a lot easier than Klopp's or Pep's. Teams will be scared of the pace and the counter, last year teams didn't have many opportunities to work out Conte's Spurs as it was all quite new - the same could be said when Arteta played the lop sided back 5 to win the FA Cup. If you don't overwhelm teams with your own quality then I think you are easier to plan for.
Kane and Son may still hoover up the chances they get - albeit Son has already shown he's slipped hugely from the heights of last year - but I don't think they'll get as many clear cut chances as they're used to on those counter attacks.
Kane and Son were exceptional last year, can they keep that up again? the slightest drop off from either will affect Spurs far more than most of the other top teams if their best players are off it - never mind the possibility of injuries. If you're so reliant on 2 players and so reliant on the opposition to somewhat play to your strengths I just don't see it as being sustainable.

They may well get top 4 again this season - but where does it actually take them? They have to win things, they have to win them now to make the most of two players in their prime who lets be honest are miles above Spurs station.

Post #371089  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’d like to think you’re right Rich. But Conte was appointed nearly a year ago (7/11/21) and it’s worked for them so far. How long will it have to work for it to be seen as sustainable? I really don’t see Kane and Son declining any time soon.

It has worked in so far that he scraped 4th ahead of us when we were quite depleted at the end of the season. Is that style going to win titles - highly unlikely. Might it win a cup - possibly - but I think they'd need to be very lucky to do it with the tactics they have.

Of course I'm biased and I hope all of this happens but I think it will for them as well

I’m not sure winning the league should be the criteria for judging sustainability. Even winning a cup. I’d say a top four place is as good as any.

Post #371090  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Kane and Son were exceptional last year, can they keep that up again? the slightest drop off from either will affect Spurs far more than most of the other top teams if their best players are off it - never mind the possibility of injuries. If you're so reliant on 2 players and so reliant on the opposition to somewhat play to your strengths I just don't see it as being sustainable.

They may well get top 4 again this season - but where does it actually take them? They have to win things, they have to win them now to make the most of two players in their prime who lets be honest are miles above Spurs station.

Rich, Kane had a very poor first half of last season.

You say they have to win things. Are you saying they do but we don’t? If so isn’t that using different criteria to measure success for alternative clubs at the same sort of level?

Post #371091  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don't see Ødegaard Vieira and Smith Rowe as competing for the same places as Xhaka, Partey, and Sambi. I haven't followed his form, but getting a combative CM like Guendouzi would surely be very handy to shore up the latter group.

I would completely agree with you there Decaf.

Post #371092  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:31 pm 

The extension of the adidas kit deal has also increased the money Arsenal get from £60m a year to £75m a year. Deal runs until the end of the 2029/30 season.

I think from what I can find that is the equal highest manufacturer deal alongside Man U and adidas at £75m a season

Post #371093  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, Kane had a very poor first half of last season.

You say they have to win things. Are you saying they do but we don’t? If so isn’t that using different criteria to measure success for alternative clubs at the same sort of level?

Yes I think we have to win things now to have a successful season. We could finish runners up in the league and have no trophy and I'll feel like huge progress has been made and a big goal of getting back in the CL will have been achieved but I want us to win trophies - particularly the Europa League this season.
Spurs should be treated no differently, and winning trophies for them has to be what is deemed a success because they haven't won one for 13 odd years is it now.

Ultimately top 4 is only such a goal and driver for the big 6 for 2 reasons, 1) to compete in the biggest competition and have a chance of winning it 2) to earn huge money from that competition to enable greater squad strengthening with a goal to winning something. Ultimately it all comes down to tangible success being winning something.

I suppose to bring it back to the original point of whether what Spurs are doing is sustainable you have to agree how long we're measuring it for and whether 'sustainable' means standing still (ie: continually getting 4th place for them), or whether using that terms in football sense it means pushing on and winning something.

Post #371094  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
I suppose to bring it back to the original point of whether what Spurs are doing is sustainable you have to agree how long we're measuring it for and whether 'sustainable' means standing still (ie: continually getting 4th place for them), or whether using that terms in football sense it means pushing on and winning something.

I guess we’re using the word a little differently. For me sustain means continuing what you’ve been doing. As you point out, it’s been a fair while since Tottenham have actually won anything. So for me getting into next year’s Champions League would count as sustainability for them. Winning something would represent improvement for them more than sustaining themselves.

As an Arsenal fan I would agree we should be aiming to win trophies. Although we have won something more recently than them (2020), that’s why I’m looking to win something rather than get back into the Champions League. I think Hazuki made a good point recently. Although I think we’re a bit light up front with only Jesus and Nketiah and our back up keeper looking a bit dodgy, I think our team and squad is easily good enough to get in the top four.

Finishing fourth would possibly leave me feeling a little underwhelmed. I was possibly alone in thinking our squad was good enough last season to get in the top four, so I certainly think we are this season. Hence I’m looking to win something as well as getting a top four place. That’s improvement I’m hoping for.

Post #371095  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
The extension of the adidas kit deal has also increased the money Arsenal get from £60m a year to £75m a year. Deal runs until the end of the 2029/30 season.

I think from what I can find that is the equal highest manufacturer deal alongside Man U and adidas at £75m a season

£75m is a good deal now. But if we’re still going to be getting £75m in 2029/30. £75m is unlikely to look such a good amount in seven years.

Post #371096  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 pm 

Apparently according to his personal opinion, Bodo-Glimt manager Knudsen, has Arsenal sussed out. He watched carefully the Zurich and Spurs matches, feels he now knows how to handle the Arsenal set up.
Well, nothing new here. Would expect most coaches/managers have some knowledge of their opponents strategies prior to any comp they have against them. Would expect same from Arteta.
:angel9:

Post #371097  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:42 am 

Arteta has been doing his homework with a bit of help from Øde.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/05/mikel-ar ... -17510640/

Post #371098  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

£75m is a good deal now. But if we’re still going to be getting £75m in 2029/30. £75m is unlikely to look such a good amount in seven years.

Our original adidas deal ran until 2024 so we’ve negotiated that one up a season and a half early.
Currently City earn £65m a season, Liverpool and Chelsea £60m and Spurs £30m from their kit deal.

Post #371099  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Our original adidas deal ran until 2024 so we’ve negotiated that one up a season and a half early.
Currently City earn £65m a season, Liverpool and Chelsea £60m and Spurs £30m from their kit deal.

Sure I get all that. But by it being such a long term deal, in seven years time with football inflation how much is £75m going to be worth? Nothing remotely like what it’s worth now I reckon.

Post #371100  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:05 am 

Is tonight a sell out ?

Post #371101  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Is tonight a sell out ?

Tickets are still on sale on Arsenal.com so I assume not.

Post #371102  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:44 am 

Zed wrote:
Apparently according to his personal opinion, Bodo-Glimt manager Knudsen, has Arsenal sussed out. He watched carefully the Zurich and Spurs matches, feels he now knows how to handle the Arsenal set up.
Well, nothing new here. Would expect most coaches/managers have some knowledge of their opponents strategies prior to any comp they have against them. Would expect same from Arteta.

That reminds me of this. https://www.commit.works/everyone-has-a ... the-mouth/

Post #371103  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Sure I get all that. But by it being such a long term deal, in seven years time with football inflation how much is £75m going to be worth? Nothing remotely like what it’s worth now I reckon.

Cheer up, Bernard. We might be mid-table in the Championship in 2029, chuckling heartily to ourselves about how we managed to get 75 million a year out of them.

Post #371104  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:53 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Cheer up, Bernard. We might be mid-table in the Championship in 2029, chuckling heartily to ourselves about how we managed to get 75 million a year out of them.

I would hope the balance of probabilities are more likely to support my view than yours.

Post #371105  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:27 am 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 30669.html

So we have the option of extending Saka and Saliba by extra 12 months and Martinelli by 2 years.

I too was worried that there was damage between Saliba and the club and Arteta would have to take some of the blame for that but great to see they have a good relationship.

Can only bode well for the future.

Post #371106  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:30 am 

https://streamable.com/62i3l9

Post #371107  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:39 pm 

david.d wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-fc-news-arteta-saliba-new-contract-b1030669.html

So we have the option of extending Saka and Saliba by extra 12 months and Martinelli by 2 years.

I too was worried that there was damage between Saliba and the club and Arteta would have to take some of the blame for that but great to see they have a good relationship.

Can only bode well for the future.

So glad the club is learning and structuring their deals and contracts to give themselves these year/2 year option. If used properly they are invaluable.
In reality Arsenal would trigger all 3 of those options if it came to it but I think deals will be thrashed out before. Saka and Saliba therefore have over 2.5 years left on their deal and Martinelli has 3.5 years left on his deal.

Post #371108  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

That reminds me of this. https://www.commit.works/everyone-has-a ... the-mouth/

Somebody to get sucker punched tonight.

Post #371109  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 pm 

Kyle Walker may miss the World Cup with the injury picked up in the last game. Ben White should be in the squad anyway but the injury to Walker a player who can play RB and RCB in a 3 should really push White in to the squad.

Post #371110  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Kyle Walker may miss the World Cup with the injury picked up in the last game. Ben White should be in the squad anyway but the injury to Walker a player who can play RB and RCB in a 3 should really push White in to the squad.

Shame in a way as the fewer games played in the World Cup by Arsenal players, the better things are in my view. Risk of injury from playing and the possibility of tiredness in the second half of the season contribute to my opinion.

Post #371111  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:10 pm 

Turner; Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney; Vieira, Sambi, Xhaka; Marquinhos, Eddie, Martinelli

Post #371112  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:50 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Turner; Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney; Vieira, Sambi, Xhaka; Marquinhos, Eddie, Martinelli

I trust MA....but I cannot understand why Soares and Nelson are on the bench and three players who will play against Liverpool are playing tonight.

Post #371113  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 pm 

Actually, just read on Sky that they are no mugs and put 6 past Roma last year....I'll defer to MA and keep my trap shut.

Post #371114  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:02 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Actually, just read on Sky that they are no mugs and put 6 past Roma last year....I'll defer to MA and keep my trap shut.

He wants to get the group won. Hopefully this 11 will get it done comfortably. Don't know much about the opposition but we did get beaten at home by Ostersunds the other year, so we don't want to underestimate this lot.

Post #371115  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:12 pm 

Disappointing finish there by Vieira, that should have been testing the keeper at least.

Post #371116  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I trust MA....but I cannot understand why Soares and Nelson are on the bench and three players who will play against Liverpool are playing tonight.

Both have come back from injuries recently so perhaps not quite up to full fitness

Post #371117  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:24 pm 

Fox in the box.

Post #371118  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:24 pm 

1-0 Nketiah! That was a very good counter attack

Post #371119  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:24 pm 

Great goal

Post #371120  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:24 pm 

Eddie!!! :21encouragement:

[ 390305 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9275, 9276, 9277, 9278, 9279, 9280, 9281 ... 9758  Next