Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 261 guests

Post #498601  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I also don't expect us to be undefeated by the time we face Man Utd. No team wins the matches they 'should' . Points get dropped unexpectedly all the time. Always has, always will and we are no different. I hope we win all the games till then but I won't be shocked if we don't.

Not 'always has'.

But setting that aside, does this mean you are not going to worry about City or Liverpool going unbeaten this season?

Post #498602  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:20 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Did anyone else notice the change in the screens at the ground yesterday?
We now show the game as it happens and also replays, with the two teams either side of the picture
Something else they showed yesterday, that they haven’t before, was the penalty incident; not while the VAR check was ongoing, but straight after the decision had been overturned.
It was truly a shocking dive with zero contact based on the replay they showed on the screens; I’ve noticed that the majority of the papers and a few posters here refer to “minimal contact”. Is there a camera angle that showed any contact?

Yes Hodd. They're obviously new screens but the way they've organized the display is pretty pants if you sit some way away, as I do. 'My' screen is in the NW corner - I can only see the bottom half of the one in the SE corner. I'm in the West Stand upper just beyond the halfway line, maybe 50m away so there will be plenty far further away than me.

They've split the screen into three with the central section showing live action - but it's only the central portion of a wide-screen image, if you get my meaning, with the outer thirds cropped out. Team line-ups are either side of this partial image, but to make the space, they've reduced the size of the lettering so I can no longer read the team line-ups - and I've got pretty good eyesight. Big fail for me.

Also, did anyone notice the quality of the sound in the stadium? Again, I ain't deaf but I could hardly hear the announcements or the music.

Post #498603  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 am 

Man U only need to look at us for what a rebuild takes.....and we're nowhere near the finished article.

When Arteta took over we had a 30 man senior squad (including Saliba and Emile Smith Rowe - neither of whom really played in that first season for Arteta). In 3 seasons 17 have come in and 17 have moved on permanently (Willian being in both columns)

Of the 17 I'd say there are:
8 definite hits: Partey, Gabriel, White, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Jesus, Zinchenko (some may say too early to judge the last two)
4 definite misses: Mari, Willian, Runarsson, Cédric
and 5 we need more time to judge, Tavares, Lokonga, Vieira, Turner, Marquinos

Only 13 remain from that original 30 man squad remain, and 4 of those (Bellerin, AMN, Pépé, Nelson) would be off by now if we had a decent offer.

If you did a like for like of what we've bought vs what we've shifted it is quite remarkable:
Leno v Ramsdale
Martinez v Turner
Macey v Runarsson
Sokratis v Gabriel
Mustafi v White
Luiz v Mari
Chambers v Tomiyasu
Kolasinac v Zinchenko
Mavropanos v Tavares
Mkhitaryan v Ødegaard
Torreira v Partey
Özil v Vieira
Guendouzi v Lokonga
Aubameyang v Jesus

That is how you take a team in free fall and totally turn it around to a team that has a bright future

Post #498604  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:26 am 

DHD wrote:
Anyone know the story about the group of black-clad ‘ultras’ crammed in, two-to-a-seat at the front under the clock? Maybe 50-80 of them. Not kids. Standing, very loud and animated throughout.

Must be club-sponsored and it really worked. Lifted the place.

These are the guys - clearly Gooners but mostly dressed in black tee-shirts. Right behind the Clock end goal.

Attachments:

Post #498605  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:29 am 

Very loud and always involved. Proper 'singing section'.

Attachments:

Post #498606  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 am 

By the way Martinelli had Fofana on toast yesterday. The same Fofana that Chelsea are ready to spend £80m on. I think Fofana is a decent player but it shows what the market can do when you've put your eggs in one basket and seem desperate. Makes the business we've done over the last 2 summers look even better.

jesus, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Gabriel - is 6 players in to the starting 11 at an average of £27m a player is very good.
There are more expensive guys like White and Partey, but then there is also the combined £6m for Martinelli, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah.

Smart business

Post #498607  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
By the way Martinelli had Fofana on toast yesterday. The same Fofana that Chelsea are ready to spend £80m on. I think Fofana is a decent player but it shows what the market can do when you've put your eggs in one basket and seem desperate. Makes the business we've done over the last 2 summers look even better.

jesus, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu, Ødegaard, Ramsdale, Gabriel - is 6 players in to the starting 11 at an average of £27m a player is very good.
There are more expensive guys like White and Partey, but then there is also the combined £6m for Martinelli, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah.

Smart business

Just goes to show how a sustained period of wasting money can focus the mind.

Unless you are Barcelona of course.

Post #498608  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

What on Earth makes Cédric a definite miss? A free transfer and as a back up reserve, has he ever let us down?

Post #498609  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

What on Earth makes Cédric a definite miss? A free transfer and as a back up reserve, has he ever let us down?

Agreed. A decent squad player who always did his best.

Post #498610  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:18 pm 

Man u’s last 7 away games, 7 defeats, 21 goals conceded, 2 scored.

Even at our lowest I don’t think we were ever that bad

Post #498611  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Fair point, I did wonder where to put him and it felt maybe too harsh being a miss, but he’s not a hit.
I think I just felt that whilst he hasn’t ‘let us down’ his quality is quite a bit lower than Tomiyasu and losing our full backs was a big reason why we didn’t get too 4.

Post #498612  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:23 pm 

Chuba Akpom (remember him) just scored for Middlesbrough in the championship.
I would rate Cédric a successful transfer all things considered.

Post #498613  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Question for the forum. What is it that you think has changed in the Kronke's in the past couple of years that has seen them seemingly take a sudden change in the amount of effort, interest and expenditure in the club?

We now have Josh very much front and centre and coming across as intelligent, likeable, clear thinking and certainly invested from top to bottom.

Stan sees winning as secondary, even tertiary. Josh wants to win as much as be profitable. I would surmise he is of the camp that sees winning will eventually mean more profits (merchandising, ticket sales).

When he has been put in charge of his dad's teams, he's actually tried to win.

Post #498614  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:16 pm 

I see Piers Morgan has tweeted ‘I’m trusting the process #Arteta’

I can’t think of many people I wish weren’t Arsenal fans more than him. He’s been so critical of Arteta and hugely supporting of Aubameyang and other players Arteta has cast aside. I don’t like this sort of fan, doom and gloom telling everyone ‘I told you so’ all the time if you don’t win every single game and then jump on to celebrate the good moments.

Post #498615  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:29 pm 

Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today, because I think Tottenham can become really dangerous if they get off to a good start. Think Tottenham wins this though, just have a feeling of a shock result for Chelsea who seem disjointed and with bad energy all around the club.

Post #498616  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 pm 

Kane gets away with a clear yellow. It’s criminal and self perpetuating….every time he gets away with one he’s more likely to get away with the next one.
The exact opposite for Xhaka

Post #498617  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today, because I think Tottenham can become really dangerous if they get off to a good start. Think Tottenham wins this though, just have a feeling of a shock result for Chelsea who seem disjointed and with bad energy all around the club.

Jinx!

Post #498618  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:52 pm 

I don't really get Tuchel's insistence of playing a back five. They have the personell for a very good back four - James is one of the best right backs in the league, Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are excellent central defenders and both Chilwell and Cucurella are very good on the left. Their collection of central midfielders are among the best in Europe in my opinion, and with a combination of three of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher they should be able to win the midfield battle against most teams and provide better support for their misfiring attackers.

Post #498619  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I don't really get Tuchel's insistence of playing a back five. They have the personell for a very good back four - James is one of the best right backs in the league, Thiago Silva and Koulibaly are excellent central defenders and both Chilwell and Cucurella are very good on the left. Their collection of central midfielders are among the best in Europe in my opinion, and with a combination of three of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher they should be able to win the midfield battle against most teams and provide better support for their misfiring attackers.

Saying all that, and don’t forget Mount, Havertz and Sterling, I’m a little surprised you earlier said “Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today”. Myself, I think the best result for Arsenal would be a draw so they both drop points. So I hope Tottenham equalise.

Post #498620  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:09 pm 

I think this first half illustrates some of the points I've made about Spurs. Conte has made them pretty tough to beat and he sets them up well against the big teams, but they're very one dimensional. They are now sitting back deep and playing on the counter even though they're 1-0 down, because that's really the only way they can play. They lack the ability and the players to dominate games, their defenders are poor on the ball and their central midfield is hugely lacking in creativity. With their front trio firing they can get 4th or even 3rd but they'll never reach higher than that with this squad and this set-up.

Post #498621  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Saying all that, and don’t forget Mount, Havertz and Sterling, I’m a little surprised you earlier said “Cheering a little bit for Chelsea today”. Myself, I think the best result for Arsenal would be a draw so they both drop points. So I hope Tottenham equalise.

The reason is I don't really see Chelsea being a confidence team in the way I think Tottenham might be. Chelsea will probably be in the fight for 3rd place regardless of how they do today because of the quality in their squad, I see Tottenham as a team more reliant on confidence so I don't won't them to build that right from the start of the season.

That being said, a draw would do just fine.

Post #498622  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:28 pm 

A draw is best with both sides dropping two points although it would be good to knock Tottenham’s confidence.

A couple of red cards would help. Or key players being crocked.

Post #498623  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
A draw is best with both sides dropping two points although it would be good to knock Tottenham’s confidence.

The ref is letting them kick lotus cheek around the park with impunity. I’ve counted at least 3 other tackles that should have had yellows too for spurs players.

All feels very familiar

Post #498624  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I think this first half illustrates some of the points I've made about Spurs. Conte has made them pretty tough to beat and he sets them up well against the big teams, but they're very one dimensional. They are now sitting back deep and playing on the counter even though they're 1-0 down, because that's really the only way they can play. They lack the ability and the players to dominate games, their defenders are poor on the ball and their central midfield is hugely lacking in creativity. With their front trio firing they can get 4th or even 3rd but they'll never reach higher than that with this squad and this set-up.

Yes, and I think more teams will have learnt how to set up against Conte's Spurs after last season. If you do well more teams sit up and take notice and prepare more serious plans for you.
If you're a very good team then it makes little difference because you have an answer for any game plan against you, and for my money the very best teams go on the front foot and have attacking options and threats from all over the pitch - be that set pieces, crosses, tippy tappy, counter attacks, individual skill. City and Liverpool both have this, Spurs don't. They don't have enough creativity in their team to break down a deep block consistently and struggle to impose themselves in both possession and territory when they go behind in games away from home.
They're still a very effective and dangerous team and irrespective of today's result will be a huge threat to the top 4 places.

Post #498625  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The ref is letting them kick lotus cheek around the park with impunity. I’ve counted at least 3 other tackles that should have had yellows too for spurs players.

All feels very familiar

Spurs seem to have a mental block with Chelsea - and they often lose their discipline if things don't go their way.

Conte has taken off his left wing back and bought on Richarlison. It is a bold move, lets see how Spurs cope moving out of their rigid structure and in to a more chaotic mode to try to get a point

Post #498626  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

It would take very particular (and extreme) circumstances for me to want Tottenham to win. Therefore I'm holding my nose and hoping for Chelsea to beat them.

Post #498627  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:52 pm 

Interesting, the comms have just said a new refs directive this season is there will be no warnings for time-wasting this season. It is a straight yellow card. Mendy has just been booked for time wasting.

I like that. If something is a yellow give it, don't let players have a few free ones and then give it.

Post #498628  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It would take very particular (and extreme) circumstances for me to want Tottenham to win. Therefore I'm holding my nose and hoping for Chelsea to beat them.

Season ending injuries for Kane and Son but Spurs to score two late goals for the win - I assuem that is the kind of very particular circumstances you'd want?

Post #498629  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:58 pm 

How on earth is that not a free kick for Havertz?

Post #498630  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:58 pm 

1-1 now

and a scrap between the benches

Bentancur escapes a clear second yellow - what is it with Spurs and avoiding reds and yellows so consistently?

Post #498631  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Season ending injuries for Kane and Son but Spurs to score two late goals for the win - I assuem that is the kind of very particular circumstances you'd want?

I'd take that, yes. Or if a Tottenham win allowed us to leapfrog City or Liverpool to win the league.

Post #498632  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
1-1 now

Bentancur escapes a clear second yellow - what is it with Spurs and avoiding reds and yellows so consistently?

I for one hope it stays like that. A draw means two points dropped for both. That’s preferable to either side winning.

EDIT: Sod it. Chelsea have gone 2-1 up.

Post #498633  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:09 pm 

Not saying he should've saved that but I don't think Lloris is a very good goalkeeper

Post #498634  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
1-1 now

I for one hope it stays like that. A draw means two points dropped for both. That’s preferable to either side winning.

EDIT: Sod it. Chelsea have gone 2-1 up.

Your wish has been granted. :21encouragement:

Post #498635  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm 

They are all horrible arseholes aren’t they. It’s so easy to dislike all of them it’s unreal

Post #498636  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm 

Quite good that Kane bloke. Unfortunately.

Post #498637  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 pm 

Reds for both coaches :15laughter: :15laughter:

Post #498638  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 pm 

That should go down as an own goal, was heading out for a goal kick until it touched James. Good result in the end, Chelsea can only blame themselves after dominating most of the game but not capitalizing on it.

Post #498639  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

When I said red cards I meant key players. Not the childish managers.

Shades of Arsene and Pardew.

Post #498640  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

2-2. Var looks at a possible red card for Romero pulling Cucurella's hair - nothing given then Spurs score from the corner.

2-2 is a good score for us but Spurs have been ridiculously lucky with discipline decisions. bentacur fouled before the equaliser, and Richarlison looks very much in the line of the GK sight and offside as it goes in then Romero pulls Cucurella's hair before the second equaliser.

Both managers red carded at the final whistle - comms said punches were thrown!

Throw the book at both of them.

Arsenal and Man U had points deducted for a punch up...... :42laughter:

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12463, 12464, 12465, 12466, 12467, 12468, 12469 ... 13006  Next