Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, bubblechris, Decaf, kiwipete, Lincoln gooner and 46 guests

Post #368281  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Same question I asked about Diaby. Is he mobile enough to play across the front rather than being limited to the right wing? The only Wolves games I watch are when they play Arsenal, so I don’t know.

He's primarily a winger, plays both on the left and right. Has played centrally on occasion as well, but is more of a second striker. Not sure he'd play as a lone striker in our set-up, but I do think he's a terrific player. Wolves would want big money for him though.

Thanks Hazuki.

Post #368282  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Where does Saliba’s debut rank in the history of Arsenal’s great debutants? A lot is said about Vieira’s debut. Who else had great debuts? Wright scored on his. Gilberto Silva scored on his. I can think of some electrifying early performances from some players but maybe not on their first game. Saliba looks like a rolls Royce defender, just 21 as well

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close. He was a *%^@*** tornado and scored a hat trick. It was like he thought he was only ever going to play for Arsenal once so wanted to make the most of it. He finished that season top goal scorer and honestly I can’t recall a Debut season like it. Then graham Taylor staggeringly decided not to take him to the euros which I think has to be up there with the stupidest decision by an England manager of all time.

Post #368283  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Where does Saliba’s debut rank in the history of Arsenal’s great debutants? A lot is said about Vieira’s debut. Who else had great debuts? Wright scored on his. Gilberto Silva scored on his. I can think of some electrifying early performances from some players but maybe not on their first game. Saliba looks like a rolls Royce defender, just 21 as well

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close. He was a *%^@*** tornado and scored a hat trick. It was like he thought he was only ever going to play for Arsenal once so wanted to make the most of it. He finished that season top goal scorer and honestly I can’t recall a Debut season like it. Then graham Taylor staggeringly decided not to take him to the euros which I think has to be up there with the stupidest decision by an England manager of all time.

Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut was actually against Leicester in the League Cup. He scored one in that. The Southampton game you’re talking of was his first league game, not his competitive debut.

Post #368284  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut was actually against Leicester in the League Cup. He scored one in that. The Southampton game you’re talking of was his first league game, not his competitive debut.

That’s precisely what I said. League debut

Post #368285  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yeah I know you did. But it wasn’t his Arsenal debut. It was his first league game.

Charlie Patino has played one League Cup game (in which he scored against Sunderland) and one FA Cup game (the defeat at Nottingham Forest). He hasn’t yet played a league game. But he has made his debut. In the League Cup against Sunderland.

Post #368286  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah I know you did. But it wasn’t his Arsenal debut. It was his first league game.

It was his league debut I was referring to. end of.

This post seems somewhat ironic considering your rambling to Rich yesterday and what Rich rightly pointed out in return

‘all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post’

I’d say he pretty much nailed it.

Post #368287  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:27 pm 

Are green boots a new thing this season? Plenty on display so far this weekend.

When I started out in football at primary school I used to get the p*** taken out of me because my mum took great pride in polishing my boots till they were a parade ground standard of gleaming black. Everyone else had the traditional (as it was back then) matt dubbin. I dread to think of the reaction if I’d turned up in any of the modern offerings.

Post #368288  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm 

Nice goal by Pascal Gross in orange boots. :58big-emoticons:

Post #368289  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

This post seems somewhat ironic considering your rambling to Rich yesterday and what Rich rightly pointed out in return

‘all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post’

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on.

Ian Wright left in 1998 so the last handbook he was featured as a player in was the 1997/98 one. In it, it gives Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut as “v Leicester City (a) Coco Cola Cup, September 25 1991 (scored in a 1-1draw)”

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say “No other debut will ever come close.” Simply because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Post #368290  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on. L

Ian Wright left in 1998 so the last handbook he was featured as a player in was the 1997/98 one. In it, it gives Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut as “v Leicester City (a) Coco Cola Cup, September 25 1991 (scored in a 1-1draw)”

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say no other debut will come close because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Yep Rich nailed it.

Post #368291  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on. L

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say “No other debut will ever come close.” Simply because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

By that reckoning it wasn’t Saliba’s debut. He had played for Arsenal in the pre-season games.

Post #368292  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yep Rich nailed it.

I think I nailed it more by saying you want to have the last word. That Southampton game was NOT Ian Wright’s debut. It was his first league game. If you’d said that, it would have been fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Post #368293  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Nice goal by Pascal Gross in orange boots. :58big-emoticons:

Oh yes. Repeat of the orange booted Gross.
:58big-emoticons:

Post #368294  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
By that reckoning it wasn’t Saliba’s debut. He had played for Arsenal in the pre-season games.

Competitive games are counted as official attendances. By that I mean the domestic league, Europe and domestic cups. Not things like the Emirates Cup and friendlies or testimonials. I think the Community Shield is also counted as competitive. So the Palace game was Saliba’s debut.

Post #368295  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think Decaf is right but for god’s sake Rich it’s not an issue that deserves the time it took to write your posts on it. It wasn’t even a game involving Arsenal. Who cares?

Hi Bernard, I’m not losing sleep over it, I generally post things of interest and respond to people who respond to me, then I’ll post something else. I find all aspects of how the media treat different clubs interesting. And with all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post.

My advice is to go full American on this and block like I have so you don’t have to read all the nonsense spouted. unfortunately if you are using a mobile device it can log you off sometimes then you are exposed to all manner of said nonsense once more! but at least it removes 80 percent of it.

Post #368296  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

Brighton 2-0 up at half time. Have to say I'm hugely impressed with Graham Potter. He's got such an averaged squad of players to work with, and this season they've lost two of their best, but he gets them to play such good football. They make the game look easy, it's all about hard work, movement and letting the ball do the job.

Post #368297  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
My advice is to go full American on this and block like I have so you don’t have to read all the nonsense spouted. unfortunately if you are using a mobile device it can log you off sometimes then you are exposed to all manner of said nonsense once more! but at least it removes 80 percent of it.

So you’ve blocked me, have you? I won’t miss you obsessively wanting the last word on any issue you discuss with me.

Post #368298  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close.

Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

Incidentally, Willian's debut for us at Fulham was pretty good.

Post #368299  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close.

Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

It was his comment “No other debut will ever come close.” that made me. It wasn’t his debut. I thought it was fair and reasonable to point that out.

Post #368300  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brighton 2-0 up at half time. Have to say I'm hugely impressed with Graham Potter. He's got such an averaged squad of players to work with, and this season they've lost two of their best, but he gets them to play such good football. They make the game look easy, it's all about hard work, movement and letting the ball do the job.

Got to laugh at Manchester United, as long as there’s not a great comeback by them.

Post #368301  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He’s not well.

Post #368302  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 pm 

This first half showed exactly why I had Man Utd at 7th in my predictions. Their midfield is just so poor, and is getting run through like they're not even there. Xhaka is a player most Arsenal fans feel we can upgrade, but he'd not only walk straight into the Man Utd eleven, he'd be their best option. I'm sure they'll sign someone before the window closes, but it's really strange that they haven't done it already.

Post #368303  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

It was his comment “No other debut will ever come close.” that made me. It wasn’t his debut. I thought it was fair and reasonable to point that out.

Indeed. I can't see why Top Gun is getting heated. Surely people want other people to correct their mistakes?

Post #368304  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:57 pm 

Brighton win 2-1, you love to see it. They deserved the win too, outplayed Man Utd in parts and had a pretty decent penalty shout at 2-0 up.

Post #368305  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brighton win 2-1, you love to see it. They deserved the win too, outplayed Man Utd in parts and had a pretty decent penalty shout at 2-0 up.

And they won despite their keeper. Wobbly or what.

Post #368306  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
He’s not well.

Are you my GP then? If so, what’s wrong with me as I haven’t had an appointment with you for a very long time?

Post #368307  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:01 pm 

On the BBC Alba channel they’re showing the live women’s game between Celtic and Hibernian. For their women’s team Celtic use the Airdrie ground for their home games. So Celtic are at home.

What’s strange is the Celtic women are not playing in green and white hooped shirts. Their shirts are black with thin white and green stripes on them. Wonder why, as Celtic have one of the most recognisable strips in world football. I doubt there are many football fans in the world that don’t associate green and white hoops with them.

Hibs are also playing in their away kit.

Post #368308  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:57 pm 

That Haaland bloke is quite good isn’t he? And for a bargain price.

Post #368309  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
That Haaland bloke is quite good isn’t he? And for a bargain price.

He's like Lukaku, but good at football. A big tank just running straight at goal all the time.

Post #368310  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:26 pm 

I see McTominey is again allowed to get away with another studs over the ball in to the shin challenge. At what point is this guy going to be ‘that type of player’ and not be given the benefit of the doubt?

Post #368311  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:56 pm 

I get more enjoyment seeing Man Utd lose than Tottenham. Not by a lot but a wee bit more because when I started watching football, Tottenham were losing, so I was used to seeing them lose, but Man Utd were the top dogs.

I am worried about Tottenham, they had a good summer in the transfer market, they have started the season with a statement win. It's going to be tough. Jury is still out for me regarding Chelsea. Title is between City and Liverpool which is stating the obvious.

I am still cautiously optimistic about the season. It's great to have 3 very good center backs to choose from. With all due respect to what Hodd said about the decision to send Saliba on loan, I still feel the club risked too much. He was well scouted and deemed first team quality, not for the future, similar to Pépé. From the onset he was good when he went out on loan. It's logical he got even better being out on loan with regular football. By all accounts, people that saw him thought he was already good enough, including Henry. But, its done and we have him and he looks quality. Gary Neville was singing his praises. .

Post #368312  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:06 pm 

Very good point being made by a few Arsenal fans online.

When we lost against Brentford last year Sky sports and specifically Neville and Carragher did an entire analysis piece of why Ben White will struggle against taller more physical strikers. So they’re all asking for a similar analysis for 5ft 9 Martinez at Man U after his disastrous debut v Brighton and Welbeck……?

Post #368313  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

More than decent I’d say. The Man U defender just barged the Brighton player in the back with no attempt to win the ball. Can’t believe a penalty wasn’t given. You feel like it sure would have been for Man U at the other end

Post #368314  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

More than decent I’d say. The Man U defender just barged the Brighton player in the back with no attempt to win the ball. Can’t believe a penalty wasn’t given. You feel like it sure would have been for Man U at the other end

Didn’t see the game but I’m assuming Martinez had a bad one. Like I said a few weeks back I don’t understand how a central defender 5.9 tall will work in the premier league. Ben white 6.1 and was said to be too small.

I have to say I’m somewhat relieved the club didn’t get Martinez. I’m not sure what the thinking was. Massive difference between the Dutch league and premiership.

Post #368315  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:52 pm 

Still buzzing after Fridays win.
So great to start with a win and nice to see utd lose today.
We hopefully should take care of Leicester so 6 points out of 6 but can't take anything for granted.
Only downside is spurs have wolves who they should beat.
If saliba gets regular games then surely he signs a new contract.
Imperative we keep him.
He looks a monster and only 21.
Big clubs around Europe will definitely be sniffing around and tapping him up but to see Arteta being so positive about him and praising him is fantastic.
We have a jewel that has to be polished and nurtured.
Charm offensive is underway I reckon to get him to sign.
Supposedly we dropped a giant quote on our twitter over what Arteta had said about him after the game.

Post #368316  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 pm 

Nuno has scored for Marseille tonight.
Good for him

Post #368317  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:01 pm 

Balogun hasn't started for Reims

Post #368318  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm 

david.d wrote:
Good for him

A fine goal too (expect the video to be taken down quickly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3zQgFj4os

Post #368319  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
david.d wrote:
Good for him

A fine goal too (expect the video to be taken down quickly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3zQgFj4os

Great goal Haz
Balogun came off the bench and scored for Reims.

Post #368320  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:30 pm 

david.d wrote:
Good for him

I’m pleased. Look, not on this forum but a much used other the reaction to his early form last season was that he should be the first choice and Tierney be sold. Then later in the season he became Arsenal’s worst ever player (not just left back) who should never play for the club again.

Both were pathetic overreactions. He’s nowhere near the best and worst Arsenal teams. There is a fine, a very fine, player in him. His strong running from deep was massively useful to Arsenal last season.

I find it sad when social media opinion on players rests so much with their last game, or last few. Opinion should be formed over a longer period. I used to write for The Gooner fanzine. I once did an article naming the worst team that I’d seen. Not together but my time as a fan.

A rule for candidates was that they played at least twenty competitive games for the club. It removes some useless kid who somehow played a game or two as late subs.

[ 390257 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9205, 9206, 9207, 9208, 9209, 9210, 9211 ... 9757  Next