Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Rich, warrior and 281 guests

Post #495561  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a bit of an odd one really. How serious were we?

60 million is huge money for us to spend on a winger. You would think given the Brazilian connection we could have had him if we wanted.

I was excited about the prospect of seeing him but if the club could bring in a dominant midfield player it could have a massive impact

Not sure where this really leaves our summer

I'm not quite getting it right now. We seem to be collecting 5'7 attacking midfielder/winger/no10 types, of which we are fairly well stocked already. Even the defender we are linked to seems rather pint-sized. I would love to see some muscle down the spine.

We aren’t well stocked

If you sell Nelson and Pépé which I expect you only have 2 natural wingers in the squad in saka and martinelli. Honestly I consider it a minor miracle Saka hasn’t suffered a major injury yet the way he gets kicked so much. You need 1 more to cover both positions.

Also on our left side we are a little unbalanced it can be improved.

Post #495562  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I'm not quite getting it right now. We seem to be collecting 5'7 attacking midfielder/winger/no10 types, of which we are fairly well stocked already. Even the defender we are linked to seems rather pint-sized. I would love to see some muscle down the spine.

We aren’t well stocked

If you sell Nelson and Pépé which I expect you only have 2 natural wingers in the squad in saka and martinelli. Honestly I consider it a minor miracle Saka hasn’t suffered a major injury yet the way he gets kicked so much. You need 1 more to cover both positions.

Also on our left side we are a little unbalanced it can be improved.

Fair enough. I just feel that CM and no.9 type would be greater priorities. But I suppose the market is pretty tough.

I'm inclined to trust Edu and Arteta, actually, even if what they are doing is beyond my comprehension.

Post #495563  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:33 am 

With no Euroepan experience for a few years and anticipating us trying to balance that and the league, etc, I am not optomistic we will do too well. Probably get out of the group stages but don't think we'll get past 'decent' competition. We don't have the squad depth. We'll end up in the Europa Conference thingy probably. I think we'll still struggle trying to balance the league, domestic trophies and Europe. I hope I'm worried for nothing.

We'll have to wait and see. The league has to be first and foremost for us. It's going to be hard to tell where we may end up. Depends on who we get but also who Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd get in the summre window.

I don't think we should rule out West Ham as well. I actually wish them well. My hopes are for Palace though. Always liked them and with Paddy in charge, even more so.

Post #495564  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 am 

I always knew Kroenke made his money in shopping malls and plazas around America. Like a lot of the 1% in America he's bought up a lot of raw land. They must know something the rest of us don't. Shopping malls and shopping plazas are closing all over America though. Amazon has bought up many of them as distribution points. So, I'm wondering if or where Kroenke has diversified his money into? Raw land, farm land doesn't make much money. The mall business is dying if not dead in America.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/stanley-kroenke/?sh=7d62e3a5742c

Post #495565  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:56 am 

Every time I see we are linked with a player and the headline is Arsenal in a fight to get so and so with, take your pick, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc, I assume we won't get the person. If its Liverpool or City, we 99.99% won't.

Not sure if others feel the same. I don't think we can compete for players like we used to. Tottenham may seem a better project than we are these days and that's disappointing to adjust to mentally.

Post #495566  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am 

If someone offers £65m for Raphina and that's £15m above your valuation then that's just the game. Walk away and move on to another target.

Are you better paying £65m for Raphina or say £40m for a younger emerging talent + £25m for Tielemans. That's what you have to weigh up, especially where funds are not unlimited.

Post #495567  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:43 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Not sure if others feel the same. I don't think we can compete for players like we used to. Tottenham may seem a better project than we are these days and that's disappointing to adjust to mentally.

Chelsea and Man Utd are one thing, but Tottenham aren't signing players like Partey, Jesus and Pépé (who was enormously hyped when he signed for us). They're clearly a notch below us in that regard, even in our current state.

Post #495568  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Are you better paying £65m for Raphina or say £40m for a younger emerging talent + £25m for Tielemans. That's what you have to weigh up, especially where funds are not unlimited.

Exactly this. We can obviously afford £65m, but the question is what impact it would have on our other targets for the summer. Another issue is that Chelsea are reportedly willing to pay most of the £65m up front - with the amount of money we seem willing to spend it this summer we will probably have to be creative with the way we structure those deals in terms of add-ons, paying in installments etc.

Post #495569  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:15 am 

Seems like Utd are going all in for Martinez now. The Ten Haag link may prove key. Would be a shame to miss out on two of our reported top three targets after all the hype of the last week or so.

Post #495570  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 am 

Darren wrote:
Seems like Utd are going all in for Martinez now. The Ten Haag link may prove key. Would be a shame to miss out on two of our reported top three targets after all the hype of the last week or so.

That’s why I’m so dismissive of transfer gossip. My advice remains, wait until signings are confirmed on Arsenal.com before getting too excited. While I accept the photos of Edu and Jesus make it likely he’ll join (assuming they’re genuine and recent), it isn’t impossible that the medical could find a surprise problem or issue with him.

Post #495571  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

That’s why I’m so dismissive of transfer gossip. My advice remains, wait until signings are confirmed on Arsenal.com before getting too excited. While I accept the photos of Edu and Jesus make it likely he’ll join (assuming they’re genuine and recent), it isn’t impossible that the medical could find a surprise problem or issue with him.

I read it was all done and 100% ok with only the announcement to come. I honestly think sometimes the delays can be due to getting all the social media content ready to go. Working in this area myself these days you shouldn't underestimate how much work is needed to create and edit the little animated announcement videos or the videos of the signing, player being shown around the training ground etc. It would take a good full working day to produce some of this stuff.

Post #495572  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:09 am 

Yeah, the Jesus deal is done, it's just that Arsenal are notoriously slow with official announcements of new signings. Several sources have reported the medical is done, and the deal is 100% signed. Don't think that's one we need to worry about.

Post #495573  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Exactly this. We can obviously afford £65m, but the question is what impact it would have on our other targets for the summer. Another issue is that Chelsea are reportedly willing to pay most of the £65m up front - with the amount of money we seem willing to spend it this summer we will probably have to be creative with the way we structure those deals in terms of add-ons, paying in installments etc.

Makes you wonder how Chelsea are balancing their priorities, they could go for £65m Raphinha and Sterling (£50m??) and yet their most pressing needs are CB. They’ve lost Rudiger and Christensen and Azpilicueta is a player I think is in sharp decline. Alonso wants out and Chilwell is coming off a very serious injury. They have Havertz and Werner as their two strikers having binned off Lukaku on loan. Their attacking midfield positions might just be the positions least in need of investment to an outsider.

Post #495574  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Yeah, the Jesus deal is done, it's just that Arsenal are notoriously slow with official announcements of new signings. Several sources have reported the medical is done, and the deal is 100% signed. Don't think that's one we need to worry about.

Jess was pictured at London Colney getting out of a car and being hugged and greeted by Edu. It’s definitely done.

Getting a striker in was No.1 priority this window.

I’d echo those who want some more physicality in central midfield. That would have been my 2nd priority this window. Full back cover would be priority 3.

After those 3 positions it would be wingers/attacking mids.

The window is very early. If we’re bidding £50m for a versatile winger we certainly view it as a priority

Post #495575  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Makes you wonder how Chelsea are balancing their priorities, they could go for £65m Raphinha and Sterling (£50m??) and yet their most pressing needs are CB. They’ve lost Rudiger and Christensen and Azpilicueta is a player I think is in sharp decline. Alonso wants out and Chilwell is coming off a very serious injury. They have Havertz and Werner as their two strikers having binned off Lukaku on loan. Their attacking midfield positions might just be the positions least in need of investment to an outsider.

Possibly their approach is to stop us getting much stronger.

Post #495576  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:12 pm 

Raphinha on picking Chelsea: I think they [Arsenal] has an exciting wingers in Saka & Martinelli which i don't see myself competing or starting over them, I want to make it to the world cup so i picked them bc i would get much game time playing for the 2nd best club in London.

Really? Is this true?

Post #495577  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:29 pm 

3rd bid made for Martinez. Man U are linked and would be a genuine threat given Ten Hag was his last boss, but Man U have just had a bid accepted for a left back. But maybe they can give Martinez more assurances on game time whereas for us he might be 1st choice back up in 2-3 positions

Post #495578  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Jess was pictured at London Colney getting out of a car and being hugged and greeted by Edu. It’s definitely done.

Wasn’t the picture of him being hugged and greeted by Edu taken when he arrived for his medical? Apart from the football fitness stuff, the medical will also include a full blood count. That will cover everything that can possibly be checked by a blood test. As soon as that’s done, it will inevitably take a while before the results are known which I’ve little doubt will coincide with the social media stuff being prepared which Darren mentioned.

It’s possibly about a one in a million (perhaps more) chance, but if the blood test found he had something like early stage leukaemia, there’s no chance Arsenal would go through with the signing. It is still too early to say it’s definitely done. It will be confirmed on Arsenal.com once the social media stuff has been done AND the outcome of the medical, including the blood test results, are known.

Extremely or massively likely - yes. Definitely done? Not quite.

Post #495579  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:35 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Raphinha on picking Chelsea: I think they [Arsenal] has an exciting wingers in Saka & Martinelli which i don't see myself competing or starting over them, I want to make it to the world cup so i picked them bc i would get much game time playing for the 2nd best club in London.

Really? Is this true?

:14laughter:

Blatantly made up quote. He’s not even signed yet

Post #495580  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm 

Uh oh

News breaking that Gabriel Jesus move has fell through because club doctors diagnosed Human papillomavirus infection (HPV). He will now have to go back to city.

This just isn’t our week. Not sure what happens now.

Post #495581  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:53 pm 

Top Gun having a joke one assumes.

Post #495582  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
3rd bid made for Martinez. Man U are linked and would be a genuine threat given Ten Hag was his last boss, but Man U have just had a bid accepted for a left back. But maybe they can give Martinez more assurances on game time whereas for us he might be 1st choice back up in 2-3 positions

He is not a left back though. Who knows what type of formation Man Utd will employ next season? Ajax were very attack-focused but quite exposed at the back. It remains to be seen whether or not Ten Hag will set Man U up the same way. I'd say one of his main priorities will be to find a centre-back partnership that works.

Post #495583  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:01 pm 

I read a piece on spending to stand still. It is relevant to spurs and Chelsea and to some extent Liverpool. Spurs have two loan players they need to spend £75m to make the deals permanent this year or the next. Chelsea have lost two CB for free and Liverpool have had to double the money they received for Mané to try to replicate what he gives them.

Save for Lacazette we’re in a position to hopefully just push on from last year without having to take any backwards or sideways steps/spend

Post #495584  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Uh oh

News breaking that Gabriel Jesus move has fell through because club doctors diagnosed Human papillomavirus infection (HPV). He will now have to go back to city.

I presume you are having us on, because all I get when I google is variants "Jesus healed me of the clap"

Post #495585  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 pm 

If this is anything to go by, more the highest bidder and player choice obviously.

https://theathletic.com/news/raphinha-c ... WdbbuZc1q/

Post #495586  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Uh oh

I presume you are having us on, because all I get when I google is variants "Jesus healed me of the clap"

serious unfortunately.

Isn’t it highly infectious ? If he used the toilet or facilities he could have passed this to Edu or other staff. Our bad luck is incredible

Post #495587  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
serious unfortunately.

Isn’t it highly infectious ? If he used the toilet or facilities he could have passed this to Edu or other staff. Our bad luck is incredible

Post #495588  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:29 pm 

Few of us told by an ex share holder earlier. It’s not public. Media hasn’t caught on yet as the City PR team are working out how to dress it up.

Post #495589  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Few of us told by an ex share holder earlier. It’s not public. Media hasn’t caught on yet as the City PR team are working out how to dress it up.

I’m hoping that this is not true. Fingers crossed.

If it is true then it won’t be a secret for very long.

Post #495590  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It is true unfortunately

Need to keep searching on Google for “Jesus has caught HPV”

Post #495591  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He's winding you up ltg.

Post #495592  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He's winding you up ltg.

:36angers:

Not !

Post #495593  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It is true unfortunately

Ok
Top of list are:

"Jesus healed me of HPV"
(in our case, the worry is that the opposite would happen)

Then
"HPV Vaccine Decision-Making and Acceptance"
"Jesus Christ: His Person, His Message, His Credentials by HPV Nunn"

And of course

"Why Didn't Pence Do the Christian Thing?"

Even throwing 'Arsenal' into the mix doesn't help. Trump would be pleased to know that UVC light is part of the arsenal of treatments to prevent nosocomial infections.

Post #495594  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm 

And it keeps going....

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 09067.html

Post #495595  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:59 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It is true unfortunately

Ok
Top of list are:

"Jesus healed me of HPV"

Then

And of course

Even throwing 'Arsenal' into the mix doesn't help. Trump would be pleased to know that UVC light is part of the arsenal of treatments to prevent nosocomial infections.

I didn’t say the results would bring anything yet. I can only find this amongst other nonsense

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8504938 ... he-genital

Post #495596  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Ok
Top of list are:

"Jesus healed me of HPV"

Then

And of course

I didn’t say the results would bring anything yet. I can only find this amongst other nonsense

£87.25 seems a bit steep!

Post #495597  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Does seem overpriced you can split the cost into 3 instalments though it says

Post #495598  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 pm 

I imagine most everyone has seen the Arsenal All or Nothing trailer recently.

Post #495599  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

This may tempt some forumites (not sure that it cures warts, however):

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9547838 ... =related-6

Post #495600  Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I had no idea these existed.

"If you build it, they will come."

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12387, 12388, 12389, 12390, 12391, 12392, 12393 ... 12974  Next