Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Rich and 55 guests

Post #366761  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:
Morning both.

I think the Raphinha deal is the most evolving/ time sensitive of the lot which is why we've probably parked Tielemans for now. I would imagine we feel there's less urgency regarding that deal as we may have a free run at him. Just a guess obviously. I also think in this day and age of social media we hear about potential deals more readily than in the past without necessarily understanding how certain deals may need to be prioritised over others at specific moments in time. If we do get Raphinha and then move for Martinez - who I think may well be viewed at as a Tierney replacement long term due to injury concerns etc -

Think you might be right about Martinez and Tierney Darren. This is the only mooted signing I don’t get. Ornstein is saying we are serious about him but you don’t spend 35-40 million on a back up centre back who can play in midfield at a push.

Holding isn’t leaving and Saliba seems to be returning. Mari will certainly go but that doesn’t mean you need 5 centre backs.

Just a bit weird the player we are pursuing for that position this season played at centre back last rather than left back.

I agree that paying £35-40m on what would essentially be a swiss army knife would seem excessive. That said, think of the likes of Steve Nicol back in the day at Liverpool, a player who could fill-in several positions and play them as well as the person he was filling in for. That kind of player can be priceless.

One thing I would say is that from the youtube clips Martinez's technique for a defender is exceptional, especially his long passing, so he could certainly play comfortably in several positions.

Post #366762  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 pm 

Still thinking fans are getting a little ahead of themselves. People talking about this being the best window ever, well it might be in terms of strong links to quality players but strong interest in a player is still a long way from getting a deal over the line.

Jesus looks like it will go through but the others are still up-in-the air with some teams yet to show their final hand.

Post #366763  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
Still thinking fans are getting a little ahead of themselves. People talking about this being the best window ever, well it might be in terms of strong links to quality players but strong interest in a player is still a long way from getting a deal over the line.

Jesus looks like it will go through but the others are still up-in-the air with some teams yet to show their final hand.

The best window 'ever'?

Has to be Sol in my lifetime surely? The sheer audacity and drama of it, not to mention he was a free.

Having said that, still the signing I was most excited about as a youngish teenager - Supermac. The fee, £333,333 and no doubt 33p.

Post #366764  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:04 pm 

john1 wrote:
socrates wrote:

The best window 'ever'?

Has to be Sol in my lifetime surely? The sheer audacity and drama of it, not to mention he was a free.

Having said that, still the signing I was most excited about as a youngish teenager - Supermac. The fee, £333,333 and no doubt 33p.

I got really excited when we signed Clive Allen.

And also Alan Ball (which seemed quite unbelievable at the time).

Post #366765  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:09 pm 

Best window ever surely had to be the Platt And Bergkamp arrivals summer

Never have I been so excited to see a new player. After years of dour football Dennis arrived. Even went to the friendly v inter and I recall him hitting the bar or something from a chance that he should have scored and there was a nervy feeling in the ground.

Then we had the hysterical period where he hadn’t scored and people were contemplating if Dennis Betgkamp was useless or not. Not me I’m afraid. A genius is a genius

Post #366766  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Best window ever surely had to be the Platt And Bergkamp arrivals summer

Never have I been so excited to see a new player. After years of dour football Dennis arrived. Even went to the friendly v inter and I recall him hitting the bar or something from a chance that he should have scored and there was a nervy feeling in the ground.

Then we had the hysterical period where he hadn’t scored and people were contemplating if Dennis Betgkamp was useless or not. Not me I’m afraid. A genius is a genius

On the way into the Southampton game my two young sons weren’t that keen on getting the knock-off Flying Dutchman t-shirts a at fiver from the stalls along Gillespie Road. They had rather changed their minds by the time that it came to go home.

Post #366767  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:31 pm 

Post #366768  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:51 pm 

socrates wrote:

Evening socrates. Who on earth has called this the best window ever? Good grief. Has anyone said that on the strength of transfer gossip about players who haven’t signed yet? For me the best one in living memory was Petit, Overmars and from memory Anelka arriving at around the same time, which had a very big impact on the 1997/98 double.

A transfer window can only and should be assessed once it’s over, and not before. Vieira, Marquinhos and Turner are on board. But apart from them we still don’t know for sure who will arrive. Jesus looks a good bet, but I’ll wait until it’s confirmed on Arsenal.com before considering it a safe bet. Martinez? Maybe but I’m seeing Manchester United might move for him. Raphina? An exciting player but I’m not going to bet my wine collection on him arriving. Tielemans? It’s gone quiet but who knows what is happening?.

Post #366769  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:10 pm 

I think most were saying the biggest priority in this window was strengthening the forward line. Hopefully Jesus, assuming he does arrive will do that. But how much variation will our forward options of Jesus, Nketiah and in an emergency Balogun offer? If we do get Raphina, he’s mobile and did apparently play up front in Portugal. But there again if his primary position is wide right, that’s Saka’s normal position and for big games my choice between the two would be Saka. That makes Raphina a bloody expensive upgrade on Pépé as first reserve for wide right.

My own guess is that if Raphina joins we’ll thus see him all over the shop, right, left and centre, in attacking positions. That in itself is a positive. But again, how different a player to what we’ve already got or might get (Saka, Martinelli, and presumably Jesus to name but three) is he to make us more multi-dimensional, or less one-dimensional, in our forward play?

The other area perceived most commonly as needing strengthening is what I call deeper midfield. Bissouma was many peoples favourite but as he joined Tottenham for what looks a bargain, forget him. The only other name I’ve seen, unless Martinez is signed and plays there and not left back or central defence, is Tielemans. You yourself socrates pointed out he increases our technical attributes in deeper midfield but not really the physical side of things. And the buying of Tielemans looks the longest odds on any of the names being put around as potential arrivals.

This brings me back to a point I made the other day. In deep midfield we currently have Partey and Xhaka as first choice, with Lokonga and Elneny as back ups. Unless of course Maitland-Niles returns or Martinez is recruited and is rarely used at left back or central defence if Partey gets injured. The question I raised is whether Arteta is happy with those options? My suspicion is he must be.

Am I right in thinking the only first choice players (rather than those already at the club who weren’t then first choice regulars) when Arteta became manager who will presumably still be first choice regulars next season are Tierney and Xhaka? If there’s anyone else I’ve forgotten then apologies. But I can’t think of anyone else. Moreover, this is the sixth transfer window under Arteta, with some big money spent over that time. With Xhaka looking as though he still won’t be replaced, and Arteta extending his contract with I imagine a pay rise, I think the most rational conclusion is that Arteta is happy with the deep midfield.

So it is going to be Arteta’s team next season. That’s why I expect him to get his P45 if we don’t get a top four place after the money Kroenke has already let him spend, and is expected to let him spend this window.

Post #366770  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 pm 

Sources in Brazil saying Gabriel Jesus will earn slightly below £200K per week, so pretty close to what Lacazette made.

Post #366771  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:42 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Oh anytime now. Probably be announced first on Arsenal Direct.
Besides in this photo Jesus has the right tatts but not the same shirt the Fabio photo had.

Post #366772  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Sources in Brazil saying Gabriel Jesus will earn slightly below £200K per week, so pretty close to what Lacazette made.

It will be difficult to survive on such a paltry sum but I am sure he will get by.

Post #366773  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:02 am 

That's better.

Attachments:

Post #366774  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 am 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

The best window 'ever'?

Funnily enough, while I saw Alan Ball play quite a few times for us, I have no recollection of his signing.

Clive Allen, on the other hand, I remember well. If only for Kenny Sansom - what a player.

Post #366775  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:42 am 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Funnily enough, while I saw Alan Ball play quite a few times for us, I have no recollection of his signing.

Clive Allen, on the other hand, I remember well. If only for Kenny Sansom - what a player.

Alan Ball was famous at Everton for wearing white football boots. When he joined us from them my dad got me some white football boots to wear when playing at school.

I’m sure he played a small number of games for Arsenal in white boots, but hardly any. Maybe one or two? It would surprise me if it was three or more. Then he stopped wearing white boots and went back to black boots.

Annoying at the time but can’t hold it against him. He was a great player for the club and in my view saved us from relegation in the mid-seventies.

Post #366776  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am 

Good year for Kroenke, his hockey team Colorado Avalanche has just won the league for the first time in 21 years.

Post #366777  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:17 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Good year for Kroenke, his hockey team Colorado Avalanche has just won the league for the first time in 21 years.

Clearly the Kroenke's like the feel of winning.

It'll be a hat-trick when we win the PL next season :42laughter:

Post #366778  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am 

Fabrizio Romano on Saliba

William Saliba situation. Rumours on loan move are wide of mark, Arsenal board and Mikel Arteta both count on Saliba as part of the team for next season. Been told situation could only change in case of crazy bid. Arsenal trust him - keen on discussing a new contract.

Post #366779  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am 

A couple of physical midfielders of interest.
Seko Fofana - more of an attacking/box-to/box
Cheikh Dacoure - defensive mid, occasional CB - Palace supposedly interested

Post #366780  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:08 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Clearly the Kroenke's like the feel of winning.

It'll be a hat-trick when we win the PL next season :42laughter:

If we don’t beat city’s achievement of over 100 points next season Arteta should be sacked. If we aren’t top of the league by Christmas the board should act quickly and appoint Louis Van Gaal with Van der vaart & Justin Edinburgh as his assistants

I have to say it feels to me we need another pot soon. Even if it’s a league cup. I think even a European adventure in europa would captivate our fans a bit. Hopefully we can get an easy draw avoiding Eastern Europe and the possibility of the teams plane getting shot down by a stray hypersonic missile from Putin

Post #366781  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am 

Last season 69 points. Looking at our results I tried to pick out where clear improvements could/should be made.

Must improve:
Brentford (a)
Palace (h) and (a)
Brighton (h)
everton (a)
burnley/new promoted team (h)
southampton (a)

We dropped 19 points in those fixtures. Of course we can't expect to win all those and maintain all other results but if we did win all those we're in a title race. There are no big 6 teams in this list even though we must improve our record in those games as well.

As always, away wins will be gold dust in this league.

Post #366782  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:14 am 

I'd be interested in this 'would you rather' question.

Win Europa League but finish 6th

Win the league cup and finish 3rd

both scenarios get us back in the Champions League, which has to be the minimum expectation this season. Both scenarios win a trophy, albeit the much more prestigious trophy comes with a feeling of a lack of progress in the league

Post #366783  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am 

Rich wrote:

both scenarios get us back in the Champions League, which has to be the minimum expectation this season. Both scenarios win a trophy, albeit the much more prestigious trophy comes with a feeling of a lack of progress in the league

League cup and 3rd definitely but I think setting a bar without evaluating the circumstances is difficult. Who knows what if Ramsdale broke his leg in the first game.

I have to say winning a European trophy again would be fun and is overdue. I’d go to the final as long as it wasn’t in *%^@*** Baku

Post #366784  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:30 am 

Rich wrote:

Might seem crazy to say no to a European trophy, but 6th place would mean we’re nowhere near where we should be. This is a long term project, so it’s definitely 3rd and the league cup for me, because that means we’re on the right track. Winning a cup is doable even if you’re not the best team in it, so it doesn't necessarily mean we've improved

Post #366785  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
One of the most mind-boggling things about democracy is how much people's votes are influenced by short run economic factors (like inflation) that are completely outside the control of the party in power, and how little by factors that would actually matter.

I’ve only skim read the relevant posts so I’m not really following this debate in any depth. But what I will say is that however mind boggling some factors that influence voting behaviour can be, I still strongly believe that democracy is better than the alternative. Sure, voting systems can often be improved. But I’d rather have a less than perfect democracy with citizens having the right to vote unwisely preferable to not having elections.

Absolutely, Bernard. My second paragraph, which you have quoted, was a separate point. Criticising citizens' voting choices in no way implies that one would advocate restricting democracy. Democracy is our only hope, which is why we have to work hard to defend it, and it is worrying when we take it for granted.

I hope my first paragraph, which you deleted, made that clear. I said, "The Democratic Party has to position itself as the party of moderation and constitutionalism ...". The Republicans have pretty much made themselves the champions of the opposite.

Post #366786  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:37 am 

Rich wrote:

3rd place, even without the league cup. That would be an achievement.
6th + Europa would be acceptable of course. But cups are so uncertain, and a Europa run is very risky unless we really do have the squad to compete on both fronts. The league has to be the absolute priority.

Post #366787  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:22 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’ve only skim read the relevant posts so I’m not really following this debate in any depth. But what I will say is that however mind boggling some factors that influence voting behaviour can be, I still strongly believe that democracy is better than the alternative. Sure, voting systems can often be improved. But I’d rather have a less than perfect democracy with citizens having the right to vote unwisely preferable to not having elections.

Absolutely, Bernard. My second paragraph, which you have quoted, was a separate point. Criticising citizens' voting choices in no way implies that one would advocate restricting democracy. Democracy is our only hope, which is why we have to work hard to defend it, and it is worrying when we take it for granted.

I hope my first paragraph, which you deleted, made that clear. I said, "The Democratic Party has to position itself as the party of moderation and constitutionalism ...". The Republicans have pretty much made themselves the champions of the opposite.

Let me clarify I wasn’t questioning your own support and preference for democracies in any way, shape or form. The paragraph by you that I quoted simply seemed more relevant to my point than the one I deleted.

Post #366788  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:26 am 

Altered someone’s comment. Tut tut

Post #366789  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:33 am 

Matt Turner has been confirmed. Will wear the number 30
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1541 ... 7Wu8mwYOBw

Post #366790  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Altered someone’s comment. Tut tut

This was obviously aimed at me, as you have said similar before.

I’ll make a similar point. Have you never deleted part of someone’s post that you’ve quoted then?

Post #366791  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I admire the attempt at fairness, but exactly what are the Democrats supposed to do? They have to tread very carefully, because anything they do will be twisted around and used as precedent when the Republicans take power. Even prosecutions are highly risky, and they cannot be seen to be politicizing the DOJ. The Democratic Party has to position itself as the party of moderation and constitutionalism, and just hope that the great American public wakes up before it is too late.

I agree. It’s an impossible dilemma. Anything the democrats do will be reversed and strategy copied but the issue is the republicans and tories of this world will plumb the lowest depths anyway.

The problem started and can’t be fixed essentially the moment you allow people like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson to be involved in major political parties. They will wreck everything to support their personal interests and that of their allies. Does anybody actually believe they are motivated by improving living standards for their citizens ? Just total bollocks. Trump would literally let America rip itself to shreds if it benefitted him personally, likewise Johnson.

The world is *%^@** with its current political leaders

Easy to find a recent example. You deleted one of Decaf’s paragraphs in his post you quoted.

Post #366792  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:32 am 

We bought an American defender, Auston Trusty, in January and loaned him back to Colorado. I wonder if he'll be part of the squad next season?

Post #366793  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:41 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
We bought an American defender, Auston Trusty, in January and loaned him back to Colorado. I wonder if he'll be part of the squad next season?

that his real name or his porn name ?

If we sign Martinez and only sell Mari he would be centre back number 6 for us so I doubt he would be involved.

Bet he never kicks a ball for us. That screams like something done to keep kroenke happy or PR. I wonder if Arteta even knows the blokes name

Post #366794  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

If we sign Martinez and only sell Mari he would be centre back number 6 for us so I doubt he would be involved.

Bet he never kicks a ball for us. That screams like something done to keep kroenke happy or PR. I wonder if Arteta even knows the blokes name

You could well be right about him never kicking a ball for us, but he's 23 and been part of the USA squad, so who knows.
I'd ask AG but since I'm persona non grata with him, and given he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, that would be the definition of pointless.

Post #366795  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:56 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You could well be right about him never kicking a ball for us, but he's 23 and been part of the USA squad, so who knows.
I'd ask AG but since I'm persona non grata with him, and given he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, that would be the definition of pointless.

:14laughter:

Reading about this bloke now. He’s been on the bench for the US as an unused sub 3 times and that’s it at international level. Not sure Ben whites going to be losing any sleep over this.

Post #366796  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:50 pm 

Few reports we've upped our bid for Raphinha to 50m euros and upped our bid for Martinez to 40m euros

Everything is quite quiet on potential outgoings

Post #366797  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Few reports we've upped our bid for Raphinha to 50m euros and upped our bid for Martinez to 40m euros

Everything is quite quiet on potential outgoings

The Martinez bid was reported by Mike Verweij, who is considered very reliable in the Netherlands. Think that one has legs.

Post #366798  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:39 pm 

Lisandro 40 million euros plus add ons. You don’t spend that kind of money on a player if you aren’t sure where you will play him or for a 4th choice centre back. Also if he’s being signed to play in midfield that’s a lot of money, almost enough to sign a prime midfielder respected in that position

That one does make me suspicious that Gabriel or Tierney could leave. Tierney was getting linked with city and Real Madrid not that long ago I wonder if for a big bid they could move him on.

However I just read this..

Papi Mento from weTalk Ajax, explains: "I wouldn't use him as a full-back or a wing-back because he's not that type of player. He could do it, but he would do it in his own way but don't expect a Kieran Tierney type, so it's better for him to be central, maybe defensive midfield or in the back line with Gabriel [Magalhaes] and Ben White,"

Post #366799  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm 

Stan's NHL ice hockey team, Colorado Avalanche won the title. His Rams have won recently as well. Could Arsenal be next? hahahaha

Post #366800  Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Comment tut someone’s altered Tik Tok.

Jesus TG, that doesn't even make sense.

[ 390299 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9167, 9168, 9169, 9170, 9171, 9172, 9173 ... 9758  Next