Fixtures Sunday May 19th - Everton - Emirates Stadium - 4:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Lincoln gooner and 33 guests

Post #366121  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:46 am 

William Saliba says he's coming back to Arsenal.

https://arseblog.news/2022/06/saliba-im ... o-arsenal/

Post #366122  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:38 pm 

We were fairly close to signing a young Zlatan. I don't think it would have ended well but it would certainly have been interesting.

Post #366123  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:40 pm 

Bored wrote:

...let back in may be more accurate. :42laughter:

Post #366124  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:48 pm 

Bored wrote:

Wonderful news

Post #366125  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:48 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Betis has some money, if his fee is say 10 mil as an example Rich gave, give favorable terms. 1 mil a year over a decade.No doubt though Bellerin is a good Arsenal man. Fact is, we no longer want him. That and his dedication while he was with us should earn him some favor in his move to Betis. Its not like we haven't given players for free, but if a fee must be paid, lets see what his current valuation is, and start from there. Betis may not be able to afford that, so reduce it or change the fee structure in some way that all parties get something beneficial.
That would be a good compromise for all concerned.

Post #366126  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:32 pm 

Matic has signed for Roma which may suggest they won’t go after Xhaka again this year

Post #366127  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:35 pm 

It’s a big summer for us. Most of the deadwood is gone, or at least clearly not required having been on loan and will get moved this summer. Now it’s about adding quality in key positions.

The start is Saliba coming back. So we’re already stronger without having spent anything.

Post #366128  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:58 pm 

Well done to Wales.

Post #366129  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 am 

Rich wrote:
It’s a big summer for us. Most of the deadwood is gone, or at least clearly not required having been on loan and will get moved this summer. Now it’s about adding quality in key positions.

The start is Saliba coming back. So we’re already stronger without having spent anything.

Hi Rich,

We obviously need to score more goals so clearly a top quality striker is a must and so is a midfield enforcer who can both play alongside Partey and cover for him during his inevitable injury absences.

Tielemens would be a good addition, a highly technical player who can create chances and score a few goals, but I don't see him as solving our need for a more physical and athletic presence in that central midfield area.

If we can get a striker and CM in place then we obviously have issues with Tierney and Tomiyasu's injury records. The need for top quality cover at fullback is almost a no-brainer.

Saliba coming back should hopefully give us more quality CB cover, although if he doesn't sign a new deal this summer could we be forced to sell him with only 2 years left on his current deal?

I'd like to see a goalscoring winger come in as well.

Reports suggest that not qualifying for the CL has left us looking to bring in only 3 players which kind of makes sense because the Europa League will provide opportunities for some of the youngsters but it leaves little room for error if we want to make big strides forward in the PL.

Post #366130  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:33 am 

No confidence vote this evening. Can they stop britains nightmare continuing

Post #366131  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:05 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

We obviously need to score more goals so clearly a top quality striker is a must and so is a midfield enforcer who can both play alongside Partey and cover for him during his inevitable injury absences.

Tielemens would be a good addition, a highly technical player who can create chances and score a few goals, but I don't see him as solving our need for a more physical and athletic presence in that central midfield area.

If we can get a striker and CM in place then we obviously have issues with Tierney and Tomiyasu's injury records. The need for top quality cover at fullback is almost a no-brainer.

Saliba coming back should hopefully give us more quality CB cover, although if he doesn't sign a new deal this summer could we be forced to sell him with only 2 years left on his current deal?

Reports suggest that not qualifying for the CL has left us looking to bring in only 3 players which kind of makes sense because the Europa League will provide opportunities for some of the youngsters but it leaves little room for error if we want to make big strides forward in the PL.

Hi Soc,
To get in the top 4 with some kind of authority we need to be a team who scores at least 10 more and concedes at least 10 fewer. 48 goals against last year was disappointing, too many of those came in games against the rest of the top 6 (25 in those 10 games alone I think)

The ideal scenario for me with the squad build would be 6 players + Saliba
2 full backs and send Tavares on loan
2 CMs, 1 physical and athletic defensive minded player and 1 more creative No.8
2 forwards, 1 a physical tall No.9 and 1 more flexible forward who can play wide and up top and score goals

If it is more like 3 players then it wouldn't surprise me to see Hickey who can play right and left back, Tielemans for CM and Jesus to play up front and wide right

Assuming only Saliba comes in to the team from those on loan and also assuming Pépé leaves in some capacity we have 17 first team outfielders, which would need 5 additions to get to Arteta's stated 22 outfield players.

As you say perhaps with the early rounds of Europa we will see the likes of Norton-Cuffy, Patino, Hutchinson, Balogun all get game time before being loaned out in January assuming we get through to the serious rounds.

Post #366132  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:13 am 

I think we've probably got enough to drop £90-100m on 3 signings - lets say they were Jesus £40m, Tielemans £25m and Hickey £25m. The rest may depend on what we can shift out the door. We really should be looking at generating a further £60m from sales.....but the market in Europe is dead. We've got players in the final year of their deals so a loan makes no sense.

Also we're not the only club suffering from players running down their deals (which is what Wenger predicted would happen some years ago) Chelsea lost Rudiger and Christensen, Man U lost Pogba and others, Liverpool have Mané and Salah holding all the cards due to only having 1 year left.

Post #366133  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:28 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Hi Soc,
To get in the top 4 with some kind of authority we need to be a team who scores at least 10 more and concedes at least 10 fewer. 48 goals against last year was disappointing, too many of those came in games against the rest of the top 6 (25 in those 10 games alone I think)

The ideal scenario for me with the squad build would be 6 players + Saliba
2 full backs and send Tavares on loan
2 CMs, 1 physical and athletic defensive minded player and 1 more creative No.8
2 forwards, 1 a physical tall No.9 and 1 more flexible forward who can play wide and up top and score goals

If it is more like 3 players then it wouldn't surprise me to see Hickey who can play right and left back, Tielemans for CM and Jesus to play up front and wide right

Assuming only Saliba comes in to the team from those on loan and also assuming Pépé leaves in some capacity we have 17 first team outfielders, which would need 5 additions to get to Arteta's stated 22 outfield players.

As you say perhaps with the early rounds of Europa we will see the likes of Norton-Cuffy, Patino, Hutchinson, Balogun all get game time before being loaned out in January assuming we get through to the serious rounds.

I'd love to see your scenario come true but I do wonder if these vague reports coming out about only 3 signings are a subtle attempt by the club to manage expectations as we head towards the transfer window. Hopefully not.

TG mentioned Bissouma and Cucurella as really good opportunities in the market, and I agree, both would be excellent signings but I think City want Cucurella and it seems our interest in Bissouma is not that strong, which is odd considering our needs.

Post #366134  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:34 am 

It seems City want to add Cucurella and Kalvin Phillips to the Haaland and Julian Alvarez signings.

That would be four depressing signings for the chasing pack. :22cry:

Don't see us challenging for the league anytime soon and even Liverpool will struggle to keep pace I think.

Post #366135  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:57 am 

Messi scored 5 goals in a 5-0 win against Estonia last night. I regularly debate with my friends who is the greatest between Messi and Ronaldo and I'm firmly on the side of Messi. Often it is their goal-scoring which forms the basis for the debate. Ronaldo at International level is phenomenal and has more and a better strike rate than Messi, but looking at some of the dross nations Ronaldo gets to play in European qualifying every 2 years it isn't surprising compared to the relative strength of South America qualifying - there are no Andorra's and San Marino level of teams in SA.

A quick Messi stat
No player in the history of football has more goals and assists than Messi. He’s now reached the milestone of 1100 direct goal contributions – 769 goals and 331 assists in 974 appearances for club and country. To put that stat in context, a player would need to register 50 goals and assists for 22 consecutive seasons just to match that number. (I recall Henry had that stellar season of something like 24 goals and 24 assists in about 2002, imagine him doing that for 22 consecutive seasons!)

I also think 2012 Messi is the greatest season/year of a single player. 91 goals for the calendar year, 46 goals and 13 assists in La Liga that season including a period where is score in 21 consecutive games (Vardy has the prem record at 11), in those 21 games he scored 32 goals!

One thing that is overlooked when comparing Ronaldo and Messi is as noted above it is often their goal scoring that is compared, when in my view that is Ronaldo's primary (in his later years only) weapon. Ronaldo is an out and out 9 now and yet Messi's goal-scoring record is still better but Messi is so much more than 'just' a goal-scorer, the dribbling, the creativity, the passing range add all that on to his goalscoring and I think he's way ahead of Ronaldo.

Post #366136  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:01 am 

socrates wrote:
It seems City want to add Cucurella and Kalvin Phillips to the Haaland and Julian Alvarez signings.

That would be four depressing signings for the chasing pack. :22cry:

Don't see us challenging for the league anytime soon and even Liverpool will struggle to keep pace I think.

Cucurella looks very good, if City go for him then the rumours about Zinchenko leaving for us may gather speed. I've never really noticed Zinchenko as he's never seemed to be first choice at City, but he obviously does a good job for them whenever he's called on. I also hadn't realised how versatile he was being able to play left back and central midfield. I'm growing to the idea of signing him.

I may be one of the few who think Kalvin Phillips is a bit overrated. I think there are plenty of better holding midfielders in the league and he's certainly not a patch on Rodri who City already have for that position. If Haaland clicks with Alvarez in the wings then it could be a procession for City next year.

Post #366137  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think he survives this vote, but regardless, he's finished. The booing of him at the Jubilee was unprecedented. Remember, the kind of people who attend these kind of events are generally pro-monarchy, tory voters. For him to have been booed like that indicates the game is well and truly up for him. Whatever happens, this is popcorn time.

Also, have you noticed how one or two tories are starting to break ranks on Brexit? I reckon we'll be looking at a Norway type scenario within a few years, which if you remember, was what was indicated would happen by many of the brexiteers pre-referendum.

*Cue, the forum UKIP member chirping up that it's all a remoaner plot.

Post #366138  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:01 am 

No idea how reliable the source is but I’ve read Partey has converted to Islam and changed his name to Yaqoub. Wonder if he’ll no longer have Thomas on his back, if it’s true?

Post #366139  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:16 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think he survives this vote, but regardless, he's finished. The booing of him at the Jubilee was unprecedented. Remember, the kind of people who attend these kind of events are generally pro-monarchy, tory voters. For him to have been booed like that indicates the game is well and truly up for him. Whatever happens, this is popcorn time.

Also, have you noticed how one or two tories are starting to break ranks on Brexit? I reckon we'll be looking at a Norway type scenario within a few years, which if you remember, was what was indicated would happen by many of the brexiteers pre-referendum.

*Cue, the forum UKIP member chirping up that it's all a remoaner plot.

I think he survives but what’s happening is crazy.

People are saying they would prefer him to continue as he would lose the next election. I’m not so sure, I think at this point Boris Johnson could personally poison the national water supply and gloat about it on TV and still the Tories would poll at 40%.

I noticed that Tobias Elwood (pretty much the only decent tory) broke ranks on brexit. What happens for brexit probably is determined by who Johnsons next replacement will be. If it’s one of his existing cabinet we are probably all screwed.

For sh/tz and giggles for some reason I used the search facility to read on here the comments on the day of the brexit vote result a few months back. Have a butchers. What everyone was saying on here has all come to pass especially Nialls astute comments about Ireland. Everyone knew.

Post #366140  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:33 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure, Darren. I think he'll brazen it out. It's what he does. Unless he loses the vote, he will not quit. Winning by one or two votes will represent vindication to him. Greased piglet. In his mind, he's immune to 'damage'.

Donald Trump's famous quote applies because it's how Boris sees himself:
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?"

Post #366141  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think he survives but what’s happening is crazy.

People are saying they would prefer him to continue as he would lose the next election. I’m not so sure, I think at this point Boris Johnson could personally poison the national water supply and gloat about it on TV and still the Tories would poll at 40%.

I noticed that Tobias Elwood (pretty much the only decent tory) broke ranks on brexit. What happens for brexit probably is determined by who Johnsons next replacement will be. If it’s one of his existing cabinet we are probably all screwed.

For sh/tz and giggles for some reason I used the search facility to read on here the comments on the day of the brexit vote result a few months back. Have a butchers. What everyone was saying on here has all come to pass especially Nialls astute comments about Ireland. Everyone knew.

Agree on the Irish question TG. It will come back to bite his (or his successor's) arse more savagely than partygate. What Boris signed us up for, to 'get brexit done' was - and remains - entirely undeliverable. It was bollocks. He and his advisors all knew it.

He lied.

Post #366142  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:43 am 

We're being linked with Gianluca Scamacca. Italian centre forward scor3ed 16 league goals for Sassuolo last year. Hes 6ft 5", but has pace and a lethal hard accurate strike of the ball (something we've missed for years!) He's good with his back to goal but technically very good as well 'for a big man'

Rumoured price £30-40m. I cant think of too many Italians who have done really well in England in recent times, but he's an interesting player and if the likes of £70m+ Abraham, Osimhen and Nunez are beyond us then this could be a shrewd signing

He also looks like a Bond villain!.....even his name 'Scamacca' wouldn't be out of place in a Bond film

Last edited by warrior on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube LInk

Post #366143  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am 

Anyone else having trouble renewing STs via the emailed link?

I've tried numerous times this morning and all goes well right up to the final keystroke when I get looped back to the start or timed out.

Post #366144  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:58 am 

Henry is irreplacable but we had some fine strikers since then. RvP was world class for his last season. Giroud was one of the league's best off the bench for a while. Sanchez was one of the best in the league for sure, but also in Europe prior to leaving for Man Utd. Aubameyang had a great season as well.

So, while we have the fondest of memories for Henry, we have seen some very good strikers come since him.

Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could. Still, we have had defensive central mids but I really would love to finally have someone in the middle of the pitch that bossed things. I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more. We have been linked to a couple players in the 'Vieira mode' and not just being tall, black and lanky...lol. They could be eskimo as far as I care, but just someone that reminded me of him.

Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.

Post #366145  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:24 pm 

DHD wrote:

I've tried numerous times this morning and all goes well right up to the final keystroke when I get looped back to the start or timed out.

Mine renewed fine. Just got to make sure you get it done in 7 minutes before it times out though.

Post #366146  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:04 pm 

Jesus and Tielemans are the two strongest links so far. You could make the argument that if Nketiah renews his contract that a different type of forward than Jesus would be of more use. Jesus in many ways is quite similar to Nketiah, albeit clearly a more established and accomplished player.

With Tielemans there are also links to Zinchenko who wants to play more games in midfield and would seem suited to the left 8 or left CM Arsenal have, particularly if the player playing in this left sided CM position is tasked with covering the left-back who is given licence to bomb on with our lop sided defensive formation.

Just food for thought as I think Jesus and Tielemans will both make good signings for the sorts of prices being thrown around. Add Zinchenko, Bissouma/Dacoure and a physical striker (Abraham, Osimhen, Scamacca) then you're really starting to talk about a squad that is looking without much weakness.

Post #366147  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Jesus and Tielemans are the two strongest links so far. You could make the argument that if Nketiah renews his contract that a different type of forward than Jesus would be of more use. Jesus in many ways is quite similar to Nketiah, albeit clearly a more established and accomplished player.

With Tielemans there are also links to Zinchenko who wants to play more games in midfield and would seem suited to the left 8 or left CM Arsenal have, particularly if the player playing in this left sided CM position is tasked with covering the left-back who is given licence to bomb on with our lop sided defensive formation.

Just food for thought as I think Jesus and Tielemans will both make good signings for the sorts of prices being thrown around. Add Zinchenko, Bissouma/Dacoure and a physical striker (Abraham, Osimhen, Scamacca) then you're really starting to talk about a squad that is looking without much weakness.

I agree, but that's a minimum £175m spend. Much more if we were to target Abraham or Osimhem instead of Scamacca.

Post #366148  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
No idea how reliable the source is but I’ve read Partey has converted to Islam and changed his name to Yaqoub. Wonder if he’ll no longer have Thomas on his back, if it’s true?

Partey has converted to Islam.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2022/0 ... s-to-islam

Post #366149  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:53 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree, but that's a minimum £175m spend. Much more if we were to target Abraham or Osimhem instead of Scamacca.

Indeed - which we'd only be able to think about doing with some serious offset from sales which looks highly challenging. We seemingly already have about £16m for Guendouzi and Mavropanos. Can we get £10m for each of Leno, AMN, Torreira and Bellerin? £5m for Mari and Nelson? and £20m for Pépé!?......I don't think those figures are inflated and it would bring £86m in sales. But we already know that even the interested clubs in these players are trying to drive down the price and/or struggling to pay even a fair price

Post #366150  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
We're being linked with Gianluca Scamacca. Italian centre forward scor3ed 16 league goals for Sassuolo last year. Hes 6ft 5", but has pace and a lethal hard accurate strike of the ball (something we've missed for years!) He's good with his back to goal but technically very good as well 'for a big man'

Rumoured price £30-40m. I cant think of too many Italians who have done really well in England in recent times, but he's an interesting player and if the likes of £70m+ Abraham, Osimhen and Nunez are beyond us then this could be a shrewd signing

He also looks like a Bond villain!.....even his name 'Scamacca' wouldn't be out of place in a Bond film

I have seen the rumours as well. It may be as you say the price tags for others are out of our range. Italians tend to want to stay in Italy by and large. Can't remember an Italian striker doing well since Zolla.

Post #366151  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:12 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could...I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more...Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.
Truth is Paddy was a one-off - a wonderful combination of defensive and attacking attributes which made him dominant for so long. Even the similarly gifted greats like Keane, Seedorf and Schweinsteiger were in his shadow. He was irreplaceable, and as you say we have yet to see anybody in our shirt who comes near to him. There have been some top creative guys since Paddy left - e.g. Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri and Wilshere - but nobody with his all-round game.

Post #366152  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could...I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more...Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.
Truth is Paddy was a one-off - a wonderful combination of defensive and attacking attributes which made him dominant for so long. Even the similarly gifted greats like Keane, Seedorf and Schweinsteiger were in his shadow. He was irreplaceable, and as you say we have yet to see anybody in our shirt who comes near to him. There have been some top creative guys since Paddy left - e.g. Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri and Wilshere - but nobody with his all-round game.

Though your judgement is sometimes in question these days, Old Man - “Unless weather helps, England to get mullered in the current match I fear” - you do still have your moments.

SPOT BLEEDING ON in regard to Paddy.

This is tricky (and it changes) but my current position is that Cesc is the best creative midfielder I’ve ever seen - anywhere - and Thierry is the most exciting and skilful attacking player I’ve ever seen watching football. However I have Paddy as the best player I’ve ever seen, full stop. In his pomp and before he was hobbled by vicious, partial and predatory refereeing, he was a one-man midfield. He was an utter colossus.

For me, it’s truly remarkable that all three played for my team in my time. How lucky am I? And even more remarkably, I haven’t mentioned Dennis.

Post #366153  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:25 pm 

True, Paddy is a one off. Not asking for his twin but someone who can dominate the middle for us when needed. Other sides have dominant center mids. Why can't we? :58big-emoticons: Again, not asking Paddy II but just someone in the middle that can dominate at times. Is that asking for too much?

Post #366154  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:29 pm 

Wins no confidence

Attachments:

Post #366155  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:37 pm 

There is a report that Man City are offering Jesus to Ath Madrid and Real Madrid as well as us. But RM have to get rid of a foreign player or get him citizenship.

Post #366156  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 am 

DHD wrote:

I did mine by phone. Think it was Saturday. Much easier in my view.

Post #366157  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:51 am 

DHD wrote:
This is tricky (and it changes) but my current position is that Cesc is the best creative midfielder I’ve ever seen - anywhere - and Thierry is the most exciting and skilful attacking player I’ve ever seen watching football. However I have Paddy as the best player I’ve ever seen, full stop. In his pomp and before he was hobbled by vicious, partial and predatory refereeing, he was a one-man midfield. He was an utter colossus.

For me, it’s truly remarkable that all three played for my team in my time. How lucky am I? And even more remarkably, I haven’t mentioned Dennis.

Fabregas the best creative midfielder you’ve seen? Good Lord DHD. He’s not even as good as Brady who could run with the ball. Hudson at his best (which was rare at Arsenal, I admit) was better. Other clubs? Give me Hoddle at his best any day of the week. What about Platini and Zidane?

Vieira is overall the best all round midfielder I’ve seen at Arsenal. Counting other clubs, perhaps second to the more skilful Lothar Mattheus. Vieira didn’t have the technical brilliance of some, but combined fine technique with tremendous ball winning and physical dominance.

However, I do remember the much missed Fish Bar saying of Vieira that while she saw him as a great Arsenal player, she never considered him a true Arsenal man. I think his annual flirting with Real Madrid urinated her off a bit (she used a word beginning with a ‘p’, then an ‘i’, then double ‘s’ so ‘ss’, then an ‘e’ and lastly a ‘d’). But that would be edited out with the forum rules.

I consider Henry the best Arsenal player I’ve seen. It’s a statistic everyone knows, but more goals than Wright and more assists than Bergkamp.

Post #366158  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:26 am 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Though your judgement is sometimes in question these days, Old Man - “Unless weather helps, England to get mullered in the current match I fear” - you do still have your moments.

I'll add on to this after some thought. In LA at the pub, a common argument/debate between gooners and manc supporters was the Cantona vs Bergkamp debate. I always maintained, Dennis could do everything Cantona could if we leave out pace. But Cantona couldn't do everything Bergkamp could do.

I always argued with them that Berkgamp could score any type of goal Cantona could including the one he was most famous for when he did the Caesar after the Gallic Wars imperious look. Could Cantona score the Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle? Or even have the balls to try it?

Bergkamp is the best passing striker I've ever seen and Henry would be in my top 3 to 5 best passing strikers with his assists to support that.

Fabregas had vision of the entire pitch. No matter what side he played on (Arsenal, Barca, Chelsea, Monaco) he was able to immediately make the right pass when he was on the pitch. He made it seemed like he had playing history with each side's point man.

I recall when he was on Chelsea under Mourinho in one of his first few games he did a flick on that I didn't see coming and Mourinho said that pass was why they bought him.

Iniesta may have a thing or two say about that but I don't think we realize just how special Fabregas was because he was among very great players. His last few years he was arguably the main if not the only reason we were in the CL.

He said he looked around and realized RvP was the only class player we had (and RvP was injured a lot then) and knew for the forseeable future we would struggle, so he left.

Going back to Paddy, I think with him leading the team out, it gave the rest of the squad the assurance mentally they would not be bullied. I think he was the main reason we thought we could go to Old Trafford and have the audacity to bully RVN after that missed kick.

I have never seen any team go to Old Trafford and not give a f***. A team that had no issue with a melee. Before my time maybe the '91 Arsenal side had that (because they had a melee). I don't know, I wasn't a fan at that time. Maybe some of the great Liverpool sides of the '70s and '80s did. Or maybe the old Revie Leeds sides did. I don't know, only you all can attest to that. I only know what I saw.

I do know this, then as well as in hindsight, the referees had something against him. No one will ever be able to convince me otherwise. And had he been treated fairly by them, who knows how much more he could have done. He'd certainly play with much more freedom.

Lastly, I think had he not gotten injured, Diaby would have made us think he was a poor man's version of Paddy. Not nearly as good defensively (but who is?) and perhaps a bit better going forward. Diaby's early games before injury I was salivating at how good he could be. It really is a same. Also, had RvP been far less injury prone. I have liked him from his Eredivisie days. I always thought he was going to be a monster.

The ones who left too soon for the money: Nasri, Adebayor, Sanchez...ah..what ifs.

Post #366159  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:39 am 

At the pub in LA. The one time a player scared the shaving cream out of me on his debut was Cristiano. We (gooners) all looked at each other like WTF?! We knew he was going to be very special. It was obvious.

Conversely, when Fabregas played in that Community Shield for his debut, I recall specificly the Man Utd fans looking in awe and one of them saying 'Where the f*** does Wenger find these kids.' And them asking us where he came from. We answered we were very well aware of him.

I don't think for one second Fabregas was an unknown commodity. He was tearing up the reserves so certainly those that follow English football closely at the youth level were fuily aware of him. Same with Rooney. Anyway, we had a sense of pride that day as gooners.

Post #366160  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:15 am 

DHD wrote:

Am still amazed England won that Test. As ever the bowlers peerformed well, and like Paddy, Root was in a class of his own. He took us to victory, helped by the gumption of Foakes. Otherwise England so wobbly with the bat. The Kiwis must be wondering how they never achieved what would have been a stunning turn around. On to Trent Bridge where England often do well.

Totally agree about the incredible fortune of seeing that incomparable Arsenal team - for a few years the almost perfect side, even when we weren't winning the league. Mee's double team will always hold the most emotional place in my heart, but Arsene's early sides were magnificent.

[ 390809 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9151, 9152, 9153, 9154, 9155, 9156, 9157 ... 9771  Next