Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Rich and 76 guests

Post #365521  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Spurs aren't winning the league anytime soon but they look like they will finish above us again.

This season ? Yeah obviously but next? Please bear in mind before the injuries hit we would have steamrolled this

Don't know, depends on the summer I guess.

Newcastle have a good summer and they could be challenging us for 5th or 6th at least next season.

Post #365522  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:50 pm 

socrates wrote:
As much as we like to overhype our players, Ramsdale looked shaky tonight, Xhaka and Elneny were completely overrun, Ødegaard barely touched the ball.

Well, now do the same for Man Utd

Post #365523  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 pm 

Sky

Neville and carragher just morbidly dismissed Arsenals disgraceful failure tonight. Now MNF are reviewing their pre season predictions.

Both had united finishing above us in the league and Neville had us pegged as underachievers. Ok dickheads

Post #365524  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:52 pm 

dec wrote:
Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in.

They were pretty crap after he came in too, they just started pressing better and Kane decided to stop sulking and play football. This narrative that Conte transformed them needs to die, or people need to actually start watching them play.

Post #365525  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm 

I note that neither Arteta nor Xhaka mentioned the referee.

Post #365526  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm 

Bloody Monday night away games. I hate them. We always lose them and always seem to be given a disproportionate of them away from home.

Post #365527  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 pm 

We can still get CL but it will have to be one of those days that comes along very rarely in football. At least Norwich can play without fear. It’s not much to hold on to.

Post #365528  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Eventually we had to rely on too many of our back ups who whilst they showed some of their best football for us recently, shouldn’t be starters.
Cédric, Elneny, Tavares, Nketiah- none of them have ‘let us down’ and they all fought to get us top 4 but none of them are starters in a top 4 team.

That’s the way with squad players, surely?

Perhaps I should have said none of them are good enough to start for a top 4 team over a long stretch or really are any good enough to be our back ups?

Post #365529  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not sure why this is the case at all? It's far from guaranteed Man Utd and Tottenham will improve enough, and Chelsea are a mess at the moment.

Just don't see it, Haz.

As much as we like to overhype our players, Ramsdale looked shaky tonight, Xhaka and Elneny were completely overrun, Ødegaard barely touched the ball.

Partey can't stay fit, neither can Tomiyasu or Tierney. Nketiah was one of our better players tonight but needs to be on loan in the PL but obviously that won't happen now.

I know TG will disagree but I think White is a very average defender, good on the ball but not great defensively. Does his ability on the ball compensate enough for his defensive weaknesses. I don't know.

I do disagree.

We need strikers, midfielders and better back up.

Our defence and keeper have to put up with a lot of *%^@. Tony Adams would be calling a team crisis meeting after every game

Post #365530  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Spurs aren't winning the league anytime soon but they look like they will finish above us again.

This season ? Yeah obviously but next? Please bear in mind before the injuries hit we would have steamrolled this

Injuries are part of the game. That is what a squad is for. After the January window, we left ourselves with 3 centrebacks and 2 strikers. We know Tierney is injury prone. It's hardly a surprise that he was out for some time. Partey has had a very patchy injury record since he joined. Wasn't Lokonga signed to provide cover (at the very least) in midfield? We don't have any excuses. We blew it.

Post #365531  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 pm 

Frustrating to see Bruno Guimaraes dictate the game today. The guy is class everyone knew he was class before he signed for Newcastle. And he was affordable. Perhaps we simply didn’t have the budget to push for him in January but we were supposedly making bid bids or willing to make big bids for Vlahovic. I think when we face these tougher away games there is a huge difference in what a top quality central mod can give us. An ability to take a sting out of a vibrant and energetic home team feeding off the crowd. An ability to show calmness, touch and technique to control the tempo of the game and not be over run. As much as we need strikers that central midfield conductor is absolutely vital for us next year.

Post #365532  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Injuries are part of the game. That is what a squad is for. After the January window, we left ourselves with 3 centrebacks and 2 strikers. We know Tierney is injury prone. It's hardly a surprise that he was out for some time. Partey has had a very patchy injury record since he joined. Wasn't Lokonga signed to provide cover (at the very least) in midfield? We don't have any excuses. We blew it.

Depends the way you look at it. We prioritised our future I guess. Didn’t get the results but I thought we were robbed on Thursday that started this problem and spurs should have drew yesterday.

We were terribly unlucky this year so suggesting our young team blew it for me is a bit much. Actually is daft.

Post #365533  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:10 pm 

socrates wrote:
...I had optimism a few weeks ago but the losses against Palace, Brighton and Southampton and the manner of the performances set alarm bells ringing for me. The United, Chelsea and West Ham games lifted the mood somewhat but the NL derby was a joke performance and tonight was the steaming turd on top of a great big *%^@ pie.
How bad must the 15 teams below us be!

Post #365534  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:13 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think getting rid of players in jan was the issue, it was more not bringing in players. If first choice weren’t available then a short term loan. Easier said than done of course but I don’t think some of those that went on loan help us much in the run in even just as warm bodies.

Post #365535  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Again, I don't see why it's a given other teams will improve and we won't? On the contrary, I think it's easier to see how we can improve (new midfielder and striker) than Tottenham (need signings all over the place to become more than the two-man team they currently are) and Man Utd (need a completely new midfield and defense, plus they need their new and quite inexperienced manager to hit the ground running). Add in Chelsea who are as likely to take a step back as they are to improve under new ownership, and I see no reason why we can't challenge for CL again next season.

I suppose the reasoning is based on the fact that Man Utd have had their worst season in PL history and Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in. Both clubs sacked their managers during the season so it's not difficult to see them getting more points next season. Sadly, we have blown a great chance. We've lost 5 of our last 9 games.

Exactly what I was going to say. Our end of season form has been rubbish as it was last year as well if I remember. We can talk about injuries all we like but to address that problem then we’d need to buy another 6 players to cover alll the holes in the squad while at the same time improving the 1st team. I never expected CL so don’t think expectations were unrealistic. Equally I didn’t expect an almighty collapse to just hand it over to a team who have by and large been pretty *%^@ this year

Post #365536  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:
Tottenham were pretty crap until Conte came in.

They were pretty crap after he came in too, they just started pressing better and Kane decided to stop sulking and play football. This narrative that Conte transformed them needs to die, or people need to actually start watching them play.

They may not be good to watch, but they are certainly effective.

Post #365537  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

I don’t think getting rid of players in jan was the issue, it was more not bringing in players. If first choice weren’t available then a short term loan. Easier said than done of course but I don’t think some of those that went on loan help us much in the run in even just as warm bodies.

Ainsley might have been useful for the last 6 games. That’s about it. Maybe we should have spent a fortune getting Arthur on a 18 month loan.

Honestly sit back and take it in. It is what it is.

Post #365538  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 am 

I guess my decision not to get too emotionally invested for the last few games of the season was correct.

Post #365539  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:53 am 

socrates wrote:
Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Post #365540  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Arteta was scathing in his interview.

He said Newcastle were 10 times better than us in every department.

He seemed shellshocked and made no excuses for what he described as an inexcusable performance.

Post #365541  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:00 am 

Arsenal are responsible for 25% of all foul throws given this season in the league….

Post #365542  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:02 am 

socrates wrote:
Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Xhaka - "If someone isn't ready for this game, stay at home"

I was at home and I still wasn't ready for that.

Post #365543  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:12 am 

Post #365544  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 am 

I think it is daft to automatically assume we’ll struggle to get near CL next season on the basis that lots of other teams will improve. Everyone was sure with Man U’s summer buys that they would make this season a genuine 4 way title fight. Lukaku was the missing piece for CL winner Chelsea who would establish them in that title fight.

Newcastle will go crazy this summer but to jump from 13th or so to 4th is going to be very difficult.

As I said before Spurs are £75m down just to stay where they are if they make their 2 loan deals permanent. That is their CL money.
We’re £7m up following the sales of Guendouzi and Mavropanos and the purchase of Turner. We should be able to generate a further £60m from the sales of Torriera, Pépé, Bellerin, AMN, Mari, Nelso, Leno. If the Kronke’s back another £150m (+£60m from sales) spend this summer - which is needed- we would improve hugely. Just sticking most competent premier league strikers in our system improved us hugely - Wilson, Watkins, Ings, Pukki, Toney, Antonio etc I want us aiming better than these guys but they all improve us no end
2 strikers
Wide goal threat
2 central mids
Left back
Right back
That would be my ideal shopping list

Post #365545  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:20 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:

Xhaka - "If someone isn't ready for this game, stay at home"

I was at home and I still wasn't ready for that.

I think his quotes will get taken out of context, they already have by Neville on sky. If that was a British Man U player Neville would be applauding him for telling some home truths. Xhaka was asked if the young age of the team was to blame for our poor result(s) and he said it doesn’t matter what age you are you have to do what the coach says and play better than that. So far from throwing the young players under the bus as the question was designed for him to do he made it a collective blame.

Post #365546  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:29 am 

When we play badly I’ve noticed Arteta often single out our inability to win duels and second balls. He did it again last night. He’s completely right. We struggled massively

Post #365547  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:04 am 

Now we hope for another twist for 4th.
Norwich play their best game ever to reward their fans, and beat Spurs.
Arteta wakes up the team and we beat Everton.

One can dream but wake up to its reality
:21encouragement:

Post #365548  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:32 am 

Rich wrote:
2 strikers
Wide goal threat
2 central mids
Left back
Right back
That would be my ideal shopping list

Aaron Hickey is on his way to us apparently. Can play either full back position. That would be a decent signing. Along with the young Brazilian too. At least we’re making moves early.

Very, very disappointing last couple of games. Maybe, it’s a good thing in the long term. I don’t feel we’re ready for CL right now. The financial side of missing out is huge but we need to smarten up before we’re ready to take on the big boys on the pitch.

No shame in what we’ve achieved this season, just a very flat ending to what was such fun for large parts. We can analyse to death but bottom line is we’re just a little short right now. Squad is thin and we’ve been derailed by injuries to some main men.

Post #365549  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 am 

Being able to stay fit for nearly all games is underrated. It’s been shown in the many things Messi and Ronaldo are amazing at but also when you look at the best players right now in the prem none of them are injury prone. No knocks, no niggles just constantly fit.

Tierney, Partey and Tomiyasu are all injury prone and it is hurting us. We need 3 players who are at their level in each of the 3 positions.

Post #365550  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:55 am 

Tielemans, Fabian Ruiz, Bissouma all have just one year left on their current deal. All are 25/26 years old. With only a year left you should be able to snap up two of those for a combined £40-50m. If we shop in the ‘contract expiring’ market this summer our money should be able to go a long way

Post #365551  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Tielemans, Fabian Ruiz, Bissouma all have just one year left on their current deal. All are 25/26 years old. With only a year left you should be able to snap up two of those for a combined £40-50m. If we shop in the ‘contract expiring’ market this summer our money should be able to go a long way

After watching that game last night I think we need a Bissouma more than a tielemans. Totally outmuscled and bullied in a game of frenetic pace. We needed to match that and couldn’t.

To be honest we need both but economics won’t allow it. The club needs to make some difficult decisions still, elneny and Lokonga are only good enough for the cup competitions, xhaka games outside of the top 4. We should sell the 3. You want to break into the champions league spots you need better than what we have. We aren’t dynamic in the middle of the pitch. Ødegaard was dropping deeper and deeper because we were not competing there and has been drawn into the criticism.

Look at some of the through balls for their 2 fast wingers our widemen just don’t get service like that.

Post #365552  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:57 am 

The reaction to last nights result has been daft. The media have gone full on crisis rather than reflecting on the progress this year. The youngest and most inexperienced side in the league finished 5th. We shed our underperforming names and improved.

The transfer business this summer will determine if next season is the managers last. If it’s good he might just cling onto his job and bad then he’s finished. What I’ve realised is that he’s probably done anyway as for some reason an element of the online fanbase never give him the benefit of the doubt and it will take time to unseat a city or Liverpool. He won’t get that time.

Post #365553  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

Btw if Milan or Marseille offered 40-45 million for saliba id bite their hand off right now and spend the lot on Bissouma.

That part of the pitch needs upgrading and is failing its MOT.

Post #365554  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

After watching that game last night I think we need a Bissouma more than a tielemans. Totally outmuscled and bullied in a game of frenetic pace. We needed to match that and couldn’t.

To be honest we need both but economics won’t allow it. The club needs to make some difficult decisions still, elneny and Lokonga are only good enough for the cup competitions, xhaka games outside of the top 4. We should sell the 3. You want to break into the champions league spots you need better than what we have. We aren’t dynamic in the middle of the pitch. Ødegaard was dropping deeper and deeper because we were not competing there and has been drawn into the criticism.

Look at some of the through balls for their 2 fast wingers our widemen just don’t get service like that.

Nail on the head.

Post #365555  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

I believe the Sun is reporting Hickey a done deal for 21mil. At that price he should be a first team player.

Post #365556  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw if Milan or Marseille offered 40-45 million for saliba id bite their hand off right now and spend the lot on Bissouma.

Yes, but what if he turns out to be the new VVD, we'll be looking back in 3 years time and regretting the sale big time.

It's a big call but not sure if selling him just yet is the right call.

Post #365557  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes, but what if he turns out to be the new VVD, we'll be looking back in 3 years time and regretting the sale big time.

Undoubtedly it would be a big call.

I think you have to take that risk. We have 2 good centre backs, 1 reasonably competent back up and no midfield when partey is injured.

Midfield is where the games are won. Just bullied there yesterday.

Post #365558  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am 

Massively dissapointing end to the season after undeniable progress overall.
I just hope that the Krankey's (how funny would it be if Arsenal were owned by them) firstly acknowledge the significant improvement of the team, and secondly, that their healthy investment in players last summer has got us to within few points of the Champions League. Surely now is the time to increase their backing to Arteta and Edu financially.

Post #365559  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Undoubtedly it would be a big call.

I think you have to take that risk. We have 2 good centre backs, 1 reasonably competent back up and no midfield when partey is injured.

Midfield is where the games are won. Just bullied there yesterday.

Bissouma is a good call, a physical presence with decent technical ability and PL ready. Would cost £50m and do we have that to spend.

Another problem is that we have too many injury prone players......Tierney, Partey, Tomiyasu. Three of our biggest players not playing in half the games. Going forward that is unsustainable.

Post #365560  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:19 am 

I would really like to see Saliba given a chance at Arsenal given his ceiling seems ridiculously high. If he's not going to sign an extension then we have no choice but to sell him, but given how good he is now and may eventually become, i think we try and hold on to him.

[ 390241 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9136, 9137, 9138, 9139, 9140, 9141, 9142 ... 9757  Next