Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gooner7, Gunfire, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 56 guests

Post #398681  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:58 am 

Watched motd again this morning

Cédric’s passive defending I think caused the penalty where he’s not tracking runners or like tomiyasu would have been harassing the player in possession. Just being lazy and passive trying to hold the player off whilst somebody else comes in to make a tackle.

Just for me shows the issues you have if a player gets injured and we have to bring players like that back into the frame.

Tommy might have been our most important signing this summer. He’s made such a difference. There’s not much cover there god help us if he gets injured

Post #398682  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Cédric’s passive defending I think caused the penalty where he’s not tracking runners or like tomiyasu would have been harassing the player in possession. Just being lazy and passive trying to hold the player off whilst somebody else comes in to make a tackle.

Just for me shows the issues you have if a player gets injured and we have to bring players like that back into the frame.

Tommy might have been our most important signing this summer. He’s made such a difference. There’s not much cover there god help us if he gets injured

Id play AMN at right back of Tomiyasu is injured.

If the miracle happens and we do finish 4th we’re going to need another big investment in the summer, there will be a turnover of players from contracts running out and players clearly out of favour but one of the main reasons we’re doing so well is the lack of injuries to first choice players - we’re putting out the same 11 every week, if we’re in Europe as well we would need better depth of quality

Post #398683  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If the miracle happens and we do finish 4th we’re going to need another big investment in the summer, there will be a turnover of players from contracts running out and players clearly out of favour but one of the main reasons we’re doing so well is the lack of injuries to first choice players - we’re putting out the same 11 every week, if we’re in Europe as well we would need better depth of quality

Possibly chambers could fill in too but Cédric looks an outright liability but is stuck on a contract till 2024 he won’t get elsewhere.

You are correct if we get a European spot we will need a few new players to beef out the squad as the quality of backup is really lacking.

Post #398684  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:32 pm 

Just reading about the Leeds fan who gave our subs some racist abuse, sounds like it was Rob Holding who called it out to the officials. Ian Wright was talking about how it is great that it was Holding (or any white player) who was the one who said that is unacceptable and he would love to be in a dressing room with team mates who would have his back like that

Post #398685  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:47 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
*%^@ sake I have Covid, I probably caught it at Wednesdays match. I was sat in the bank of friendship thinking how stupid I was to have gone.

Don’t feel too bad, essentially an average fever but Christmas is ruined. This thing is a nightmare

Sorry to hear that, Top GUN. Hopefully, it is just a mild dose. Take care of yourself.

Yeah. All the best TG.

Post #398686  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yep AMN alm day long but I'm guessing ge won't be there next season.

Post #398687  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Out of interest, TG, if this was say 5 years ago and you had woke up feeling like this would you have still gone to work? Would you have gone to see a doctor? Just trying to get a gauge on how bad it actually is for a relatively fit and healthy individual.

Presumably you've been double or triple jabbed.

Yesterday I was very feverish and slept most of the day until the game no way could you work. I suspected I had it but the LFTs were negative. Today positive but I feel slightly better. I’d have been almost tempted to go about my business if it was 5 years ago. It’s not that bad I just feel a bit rough although I acknowledge it’s not the same for everyone. I’m more angry at myself for not considering my own exposure whilst obviously life has to go on.

Double jabbed I’ve had to cancel my third which was due Monday.

The fact that you are double jabbed is probably helping you to fight it and stopping you getting severe symptoms.

Post #398688  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Possibly chambers could fill in too but Cédric looks an outright liability but is stuck on a contract till 2024 he won’t get elsewhere.

You are correct if we get a European spot we will need a few new players to beef out the squad as the quality of backup is really lacking.

I think Cédric receives some unfair or over the top criticism here. I’d rather see Maitland-Niles than him if Tomiyasu gets injured, but he would get my vote ahead of Chambers at right back any day of the week. He’s won 34 full international caps. That’s for Portugal, not the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg or San Marino.

As a reserve right back, I don’t think we should exaggerate his shortcomings. As a squad back up, I can understand why Arteta decided to make his loan deal a permanent signing. He was also a free transfer. To get a 30 year old Portuguese full international with 34 caps to his name as a reserve right back isn’t the worst deal in Premier League history.

Post #398689  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
It does seem crazy for the Gov to advise caution in the number of people you mix with over Christmas but allow 60,000 people to mix inside and outside a football stadium.

I hope you get well soon, TG.

But you have zero contact with the vast majority of the 60k, so I’d question whether that’s a fair comment socrates. While it is down to personal choice whether to go to football or not, I will continue going.

I also hope Top Gun gets well soon.

I think if you and those you live with don't have any co-morbidities and are fully inoculated, and everyone is wearing a mask, etc., it probably isn't a huge risk.

The issue for me is how other people behave. Is there a mask mandate inside the ground and on public transport and is it enforced?

Ironically, the worst exposure I have had is when I went for my first vaccination at a pharmacy (part of a big national chain). Utterly clueless.
They made us line up like sardines in a tin, and half the people in the line with their masks on their chins.

Post #398690  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think Cédric receives some unfair or over the top criticism here. I’d rather see Maitland-Niles than him if Tomiyasu gets injured, but he would get my vote ahead of Chambers at right back any day of the week. He’s won 34 full international caps. That’s for Portugal, not the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg or San Marino.

As a reserve right back, I don’t think we should exaggerate his shortcomings. As a squad back up, I can understand why Arteta decided to make his loan deal a permanent signing. He was also a free transfer. To get a 30 year old Portuguese full international with 34 caps to his name as a reserve right back isn’t the worst deal in Premier League history.

I think he suffers from not getting regular game time. He was decent last season when he got that run in the side. Then he got played on the left, then dropped for no obvious reason in favour of Chambers.

Post #398691  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think he suffers from not getting regular game time. He was decent last season when he got that run in the side. Then he got played on the left, then dropped for no obvious reason in favour of Chambers.

He was dropped for making mistakes if we are honest. Unfortunately he sits off and doesn’t go to his man giving them time to pick runners. I can only describe it as passive defending.

In the 3 starts he's had this year he’s looked poor and againest Chelsea my goodness plain average. I’m not ripping the guy out because that would be pointless but saying it’s a lack of game time isn’t really being honest.

Post #398692  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 pm 

Take care TG, get fully recovered soon

Post #398693  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:47 pm 

I thought Cédric lost his man and allowed him to get to the bye-line.

I prefer to see AMN there if Tomiyasu is injured. Followed by Cédric before Chambers.

Post #398694  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He was dropped for making mistakes if we are honest. Unfortunately he sits off and doesn’t go to his man giving them time to pick runners. I can only describe it as passive defending.

In the 3 starts he's had this year he’s looked poor and againest Chelsea my goodness plain average. I’m not ripping the guy out because that would be pointless but saying it’s a lack of game time isn’t really being honest.

The four starts Cédric has had this season were two in the Premier League against Chelsea at home (a 0-2 defeat) and Manchester City away (a 5-0 defeat). Then in the League Cup, Wimbledon (a 3-0 win) and Leeds (a 2-0 win) at home. In the Chelsea and City games, the entire team was outplayed. We didn’t lose those matches because Cédric started. Just as we didn’t beat Wimbledon and Leeds because he started, but I’d say he certainly did everything that could reasonably be expected of him in those two wins in which we didn’t concede.

What you define as passive defending may often be the right decision. I really don’t think the Leeds goal yesterday should be put down to Cédric not jumping into a tackle. If it was anyone’s fault, it can only be White’s for jumping in with a stupid tackle. Something I don’t think White generally does, to be fair.

As a reserve right back, I think it’s hard to imagine us getting an awful lot better than Cédric. With Tomiyasu having established himself, we’re not going to get someone brilliant who’s happy playing a few cup games or filling in for him when or if Tomiyasu gets injured on the relatively rare occasions when Maitland-Niles is required in midfield at the same time.

Post #398695  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Out of interest, TG, if this was say 5 years ago and you had woke up feeling like this would you have still gone to work? Would you have gone to see a doctor? Just trying to get a gauge on how bad it actually is for a relatively fit and healthy individual.

Presumably you've been double or triple jabbed.

Yesterday I was very feverish and slept most of the day until the game no way could you work. I suspected I had it but the LFTs were negative. Today positive but I feel slightly better. I’d have been almost tempted to go about my business if it was 5 years ago. It’s not that bad I just feel a bit rough although I acknowledge it’s not the same for everyone. I’m more angry at myself for not considering my own exposure whilst obviously life has to go on.

Not sure how to read this. Are you saying that you’ve only had LFTs (and tested negative) or have you had covid confirmed.

I’ve been struggling with pretty well all the symptoms, including a debilitating cough, for three weeks now. Four LFTs have all shown negative. I did isolate and am almost recovered apart from a nagging clear the throat type cough.

Post #398696  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:45 pm 

Barcelona plot January transfer swoop for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

https://www.tvcnews.tv/barcelona-plot-j ... ubameyang/

Post #398697  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:47 pm 

Hope you feel better soon TG. :icon_salut:

Edit - And LTG !

Post #398698  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:12 pm 

Get well soon Top Gun.

Post #398699  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:16 pm 

warrior wrote:
Barcelona plot January transfer swoop for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

https://www.tvcnews.tv/barcelona-plot-j ... ubameyang/

Can't see them being willing (or able) to pay his enormous wages.

Post #398700  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure how to read this. Are you saying that you’ve only had LFTs (and tested negative) or have you had covid confirmed.

I’ve been struggling with pretty well all the symptoms, including a debilitating cough, for three weeks now. Four LFTs have all shown negative. I did isolate and am almost recovered apart from a nagging clear the throat type cough.

No I said yesterdays LFTS were all negative and I did several and then today I’ve had it confirmed. If you think you have it you need to keep testing via LFT or a walk-in it doesn’t always show up straightaway.

Post #398701  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:25 pm 

The rules regarding postponement really need to be clearer. Chelsea had their request denied, and they currently have five players out with covid, and only have four outfield players on their bench today. Their squad is among the deepest in the league, but surely the rules should be about the number of players down with the virus, not how good your squad is.

Post #398702  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
*%^@ sake I have Covid, I probably caught it at Wednesdays match. I was sat in the bank of friendship thinking how stupid I was to have gone.

Don’t feel too bad, essentially an average fever but Christmas is ruined. This thing is a nightmare

All the best TG. A quick recovery soon.

Post #398703  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

No I said yesterdays LFTS were all negative and I did several and then today I’ve had it confirmed. If you think you have it you need to keep testing via LFT or a walk-in it doesn’t always show up straightaway.

Which is why I did four tests spaced out over a period of two weeks. All negative.

Post #398704  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
Just reading about the Leeds fan who gave our subs some racist abuse, sounds like it was Rob Holding who called it out to the officials. Ian Wright was talking about how it is great that it was Holding (or any white player) who was the one who said that is unacceptable and he would love to be in a dressing room with team mates who would have his back like that

Apparently an arrest has been made already.

Post #398705  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:18 pm 

Zed wrote:
Apparently an arrest has been made already.

Police arrest Leeds supporter after allegations of racist abuse directed at Arsenal substitutes Nuno Tavares and Nicolas Pépé during first half of visitors' win at Elland Road

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... Leeds.html

Post #398706  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:23 pm 

Crazy game spurs v Liverpool. Both teams could have scored more.

Kane should have had a straight red but england captain privilege follows him. There was also a clear penalty for jota not given, compounded by the ref giving them a free kick for something absolutely identical on the half way line. Klopp booked for his protests.

Post #398707  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
Kane should have had a straight red but england captain privilege follows him. There was also a clear penalty for jota not given, compounded by the ref giving them a free kick for something absolutely identical on the half way line. Klopp booked for his protests.

That red was as nailed on as you'll see, it really ticks all the boxes - lunges in with speed, straight leg, studs up, misses the ball. If Robertson doesn't jump it's a potential serious injury. Incredible he's stil on the pitch.

Post #398708  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:28 pm 

Yeah, should have been a straight red for Kane. Surprised Sperz are playing as they are, could have had another goal or two.

Post #398709  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:38 pm 

Interesting to see how spurs have had some joy against Liverpool. As soon as spurs win it in their own third they go long and over the top in to the acres of space as Liverpool keep a high line. Son is making the run as soon as spurs win it and the ball has to go straight away to stop Liverpool being able to reset and drop.

Post #398710  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

That red was as nailed on as you'll see, it really ticks all the boxes - lunges in with speed, straight leg, studs up, misses the ball. If Robertson doesn't jump it's a potential serious injury. Incredible he's stil on the pitch.

It’s outrageous especially when we have VAR. Kane should be off, spurs almost certainly lose and miss their captain and primary goal scorer for 3 games. They are a rival for us for league positions so these things matter

Post #398711  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:08 pm 

Robertson rightfully sent off after VAR check. Legitimate questions to be asked why they didn't even bother looking at the Kane challenge. Xhaka got away with one too yesterday. It's really the type of tackle you can't miss as a ref, with VAR in place there are no excuses.

Post #398712  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:10 pm 

Robertson straight red given by var, not as bad as Kane’s tackle, I think it is a red, it’s similar but not as bad as the one McArthur did on Saka.

The inconsistency gets worse and worse every season

Post #398713  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:14 pm 

Sorry to hear you’ve got Covid TG. I’ve been isolating for 6 days after testing positive last Monday. Both me and my girlfriend have it. Felt shite for 48 hours but nothing too bad, thankfully triple vaxxed. Unfortunately my nephew has tested positive today which means my planned Christmas Day at my sisters is now off. This week alone, I know of 9 people who’ve tested positive. Not known a wave like this one. It’s utterly rampant.

Post #398714  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 pm 

Quite glad to see Robertson get his comeuppance, there is something about him I don’t like. For some reason for me he comes across as angry and arrogant. I’m sure you’d totally love him if he’s your player.

Post #398715  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Best of luck TG - I sincerely hope it goes as easily for you as possible.

I’ve attended several events and mass gatherings in London in the past 10 days, the way to have to at this time of year, as well as 2 matches. I’m testing daily but so far, it’s been all clear mercifully.

By the way, in my grandparents’ time, Bank of Friendship was our family pub maybe ‘40s to ‘50s. They were great friends with Bob Wall’s parents who were also regulars. My Nan was a barmaid on occasions. I’m sure she was as terrifying to the punters as she was to me. Gertcha….

Post #398716  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:00 pm 

Darren wrote:
Sorry to hear you’ve got Covid TG. I’ve been isolating for 6 days after testing positive last Monday. Both me and my girlfriend have it. Felt shite for 48 hours but nothing too bad, thankfully triple vaxxed. Unfortunately my nephew has tested positive today which means my planned Christmas Day at my sisters is now off. This week alone, I know of 9 people who’ve tested positive. Not known a wave like this one. It’s utterly rampant.

Thanks Darren,

It’s a reasonable fever but I can tell it will pass and I’m feeling a little better already.

The main problem is Christmas is off as I’m the only person in our house with it and I feel genuinely angry at myself for being so stupid exposing myself so much doing stuff like meeting mates in the boozer and going to the saints and West Ham matches with Christmas imminent and so much of it out there. Just irritating

Post #398717  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:11 pm 

Decent results for us today I suppose, spurs, wolves and Chelsea dropping points.

Post #398718  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm 

How can that be a red for Robertson but not for Kane. Absurd

Post #398719  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:27 pm 

Harry Kane interviewed after and said ‘I thought it was just a strong tackle and I won the ball”

Post #398720  Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:04 pm 

Darren wrote:

Good luck Darren.

[ 431636 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9965, 9966, 9967, 9968, 9969, 9970, 9971 ... 10791  Next