Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, john1 and 52 guests

Post #360001  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:06 pm 

'66 Cup final. Everton vs Wednesday. I loved this video for a few reasons. First, its in color. Second, they showed the locker room prior and you can see and feel the nervousness of both sides. The third, is camera angles I haven't seen in prior '60s videos.

I didn't look up the score beforehand. I prefer it that way. It was an exciting game.

Post #360002  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:16 pm 

I never knew just how good Everton was in the '80s. Liverpool and them both very good at the same time must have had that city rocking. I can only imagine. I can also only imagine just how much intracity violence, hooliganism, that probably went on there. I'm guessing at that.

Post #360003  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:39 pm 

Nketiah to Newcastle it seems. We are definitely bringing in a striker.

Post #360004  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I never knew just how good Everton was in the '80s. Liverpool and them both very good at the same time must have had that city rocking. I can only imagine. I can also only imagine just how much intracity violence, hooliganism, that probably went on there. I'm guessing at that.

And just as Everton qualified for the European Cup they found themselves banned as a consequence of the Juventus vs Liverpool disaster.

This later affected Arsenal too of course.

Post #360005  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:44 pm 

Darren wrote:

You’re ahead of the game with that news about Nketiah. Hope that you’re right about incoming but I’m not that optimistic.

Post #360006  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 pm 

It’s easier to list the players Newcastle aren’t signing at this point. Utterly crazy

Post #360007  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 pm 

Sell them! Sell them all !!!

Post #360008  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

You’re ahead of the game with that news about Nketiah. Hope that you’re right about incoming but I’m not that optimistic.

If Nketiah goes and Aubameyang remains in exile I think that leaves us with just 19 first team players.
GK: Ramsdale, Leno
RB: Tomiyasu, Cédric
LB: Tierney, Tavares
CB: Gabriel, White, Holding
CM: Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
AM: Ødegaard
LW: Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli
RW: Saka, Pépé
FW: Lacazette

Feels like we need at least 3-4 players in if this is the state of affairs. Surely at least 2 will come but we've backed ourselves in to a corner a bit so may end up panicking or overpaying. We might have more players on loan that available to pick for the next game!

Post #360009  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If Nketiah goes and Aubameyang remains in exile I think that leaves us with just 19 first team players.
GK: Ramsdale, Leno
RB: Tomiyasu, Cédric
LB: Tierney, Tavares
CB: Gabriel, White, Holding
CM: Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
AM: Ødegaard
LW: Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli
RW: Saka, Pépé
FW: Lacazette

Feels like we need at least 3-4 players in if this is the state of affairs. Surely at least 2 will come but we've backed ourselves in to a corner a bit so may end up panicking or overpaying. We might have more players on loan that available to pick for the next game!

Old school, retro football. Small squad, 70 games. When football were played by men and not softies more worried about what side they preferred the cameras to capture and their instagram photos. :53big-emoticons:

Post #360010  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:39 pm 

Total Premier League minutes played, 2021-2022
Ainsley Maitland Niles - 268
Pablo Mari - 180
Cal Chambers - 170
Sead Kolasinac - 91
Eddie Nketiah - 55
Total: 764

Post #360011  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:20 pm 

Reading about the potential deals in this window really highlights the stupid nature of football.

This or that player might leave on a loan without an obligation but first the selling club themselves need to get a new player in on a loan without an obligation to allow the other loan to take place. I mean you wot ! There’s probably more loans than actual transfers, at what point do they say we won’t bother.

They should ban loans to ensure there’s more accountability and ownership from the players and clubs

Post #360012  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Reading about the potential deals in this window really highlights the stupid nature of football.

This or that player might leave on a loan without an obligation but first the selling club themselves need to get a new player in on a loan without an obligation to allow the other loan to take place. I mean you wot ! There’s probably more loans than actual transfers, at what point do they say we won’t bother.

They should ban loans to ensure there’s more accountability and ownership from the players and clubs

FIFA are looking to bring in rules to limit the amount of loans a team can send out. Under 21's are exempt. The original point of loans was for young players to get experience, certainly not for teams to hoard talent and then just loan out the weakest of that very expensive group. I didn't understand the point of a loan with obligation deals when they first started happening but it all seems to be just an accounting trick to manoeuvre about any financial regulations.

Post #360013  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:03 pm 

I also have no doubt agents use Arsenal (and other clubs) names with supposed interest in order to get their clients new deals. Danilo in brazil and Cody Gakpo were both recently linked to Arsenal and both less than 2 weeks later signed new deals with their respective clubs.

Post #360014  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Barcelona and Juve have made official approaches to take Aubameyang on loan until the summer.

If we can't get a striker in you'd have to turn it down.

However, if we can and if we want to be rid of Aubameyang permanently in the summer (still 1 year left on his deal at that point) then sending him on loan to a huge european club in the hope he gets some form and entices them to move permanently wouldn't be the worst strategic move

I would let him go even without any signings. Aubameyang can no longer be trusted to give his best. Too professionally immature as a player, let alone as Captain. I can't see him wanting to help Arteta achieve his goal after being publicly dropped.

We should have a new striker by next week.

Post #360015  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saliba was named in the French league team of the week for the 8th time this season. If we hadn't already signed him we and many others would be all over him. We need to make sure this goes right when he comes back in the summer.
Every top club in the world is looking for CB who are: Tall, quick, strong, technically excellent, good passers, front foot defenders rather than sliding tackle types and young........ Van Dijk kind of raised the bar here and that is what everyone is now looking for.

I fear we've already lost him. We messed him up after signing him. Don't think he wants to play for Arteta. He made a telling comment when asked about Arsenal. Instead of commenting about his role and/or desire regards Arsenal, he stated he is happy at Marseille.

Post #360016  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:33 pm 

Darren wrote:

Was hoping he would come good, and surprised how poor he is. Good sale if it happens.

Post #360017  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
I also have no doubt agents use Arsenal (and other clubs) names with supposed interest in order to get their clients new deals. Danilo in brazil and Cody Gakpo were both recently linked to Arsenal and both less than 2 weeks later signed new deals with their respective clubs.

Guillem Balagué Was on the radio the other night saying he gets calls from agents asking to talk about their player suggesting clubs are involved to essentially put the player in the shop window.

I guess it’s a trade off so when he needs a story they also comply. You scratch my back

Post #360018  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Was hoping he would come good, and surprised how poor he is. Good sale if it happens.

Offer is meant to be £9.5m

Post #360019  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:36 pm 

Agreed G7
I think Sailba has mentally burnt his bridges with us.
Sending him out on loan again was the last straw for him and he must think Arteta doesn't rate him.
He is playing every week for Marseille.
Why on earth would he want to come and be 3rd in the pecking order behind white and Gabriel.
Huge shame we will never see him play for our first team.
He has all the attributes to be a success.

Post #360020  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:18 pm 

david.d wrote:

If he doesn’t it’s a question I’ve asked before. Will Saliba be the most expensive player to have never played a competitive game for his new club? There was that guy, Emiliano Saka, who died in a plane crash shortly after joining Cardiff, but I don’t think he cost £27m.

Post #360021  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:40 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Offer is meant to be £9.5m

Good price, grab it!

Post #360022  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:

If he doesn’t it’s a question I’ve asked before. Will Saliba be the most expensive player to have never played a competitive game for his new club? There was that guy, Emiliano Saka, who died in a plane crash shortly after joining Cardiff, but I don’t think he cost £27m.

In comparative prices Clive Allen may be our most expensive player to never play. Paid 1.25 million around 1980. Given what that was worth at the time it was a lot of money.

Post #360023  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:00 am 

david.d wrote:
I think Sailba has mentally burnt his bridges with us.
Sending him out on loan again was the last straw for him and he must think Arteta doesn't rate him.
He is playing every week for Marseille.
Why on earth would he want to come and be 3rd in the pecking order behind white and Gabriel.

Saliba was well scouted. As I understand it, the intangibles are researched as well: attitude, etc,
So, his personality was not a mystery to anyone. We haven't gotten the full story. We haven't heard both sides. We haven't heard much of anything frankly. Its the first thing I will look for when the documentary comes out.

Till this day I don't know what Podolski did wrong. I recall someone, a player, coach, not sure saying he was one of the most clinical finishers he saw. But he was frozen out for whatever reason(s). Joel Campbell, an Asian player I can't seem to recall (Japanese?). Didn't we make a panic buy for some vet that never played and was a head scratcher?

Saliba was out before he kicked a ball. On the surface, ability doesn't seem like the likely reason. It's something to do with character, personality, attitude, said intangibles.

If he ends up somewhere else, which seems likely at this point. I'd be surprised if he signs another contract, then perhaps he'll feel free to speak on his side. I am also a bit surprised no one of note has made a bid to buy him. This one is a big mystery. A shame.

Post #360024  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

In comparative prices Clive Allen may be our most expensive player to never play. Paid 1.25 million around 1980. Given what that was worth at the time it was a lot of money.

That’s true. £1.25m back then was probably worth more in the transfer market than £27m when Saliba joined. At least Allen was used to get who I still see as the club’s greatest left back since I’ve been watching them.

I still think ‘greatest of all time’ is a nonsense phrase to use, unless you’ve been watching Arsenal since 1886, and will live until the club no longer exists.

Actually, OMOH and LTG may well be entitled to use the term.

Post #360025  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That’s true. £1.25m back then was probably worth more in the transfer market than £27m when Saliba joined. At least Allen was used to get who I still see as the club’s greatest left back since I’ve been watching them.

I still think ‘greatest of all time’ is a nonsense phrase to use, unless you’ve been watching Arsenal since 1886, and will live until the club no longer exists.

Yes that was a pretty good player we obtained as a result of the deal. And Allen never really set Division 1 alight.

Post #360026  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 am 

Puzzling just why we invested so much time in this pursuit. Never once did it look plausible.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/28/dusan-vl ... vgr2Xt-koM

Post #360027  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am 

Keep an eye on the relevance here and watch this space

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/01/14/ast ... nd/544120/

Post #360028  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Puzzling just why we invested so much time in this pursuit. Never once did it look plausible.

I concur with your views.

Post #360029  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

It was a bit odd. Maybe we got flirty signals that made us think he could be persuaded. However, given the need for a CF it does seem a little remiss to have let it play out for so long, especially if it leaves us short of striking options.

It does seem a little mad to let all these squad players go when we are effectively only just half way through the season. A spate of injuries or a covid cases and we could be in big trouble.

Post #360030  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 am 

long time gooner wrote:

"...had been coveted by Arsenal but Vlahovic had little interest in joining the Gunners and has instead signed for a club that can offer a regular diet of Champions League football."

Post #360031  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:21 am 

I enjoy not knowing the score beforehand. Also, hearing names banded about on here but never seen.

Post #360032  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:27 am 

There's a nifty little player named George Best in this game. Not too bad actually.

Post #360033  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 am 

Radford isn't too bad as well.

Post #360034  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 am 

I think its the reverse fixture. Not sure. Yeah, that Radford boy isn't that bad. The referees were helping Man Utd even back then it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkiKgsT3rc&list=TLPQMjkwMTIwMjL8tgqQtBn6gQ&index=2

Post #360035  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:51 am 

Bernard wrote:

:happy11: :happy11: :happy11:

Perfectly constructed, lured them in, devastating.

Post #360036  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’m flattered that you think that I will live until the club no longer exists. Although that is a little worrying for the club.

Possibly more likely if we were Derby County.

Post #360037  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:20 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:happy11: :happy11: :happy11:

Perfectly constructed, lured them in, devastating.
I'll tell you about my conversation with Henry Norris one day...

Post #360038  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:33 am 

Aussie winning tennis Slam - maybe all is not so bad in our crazy world. Oh my Margaret and Evonne from so long ago...

Post #360039  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:19 am 

Another of our players at the ACON. He had quite flown under the radar for me.

https://newsjust24all.com/omar-rekik-in ... jjOKVLYIk4

Post #360040  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m flattered that you think that I will live until the club no longer exists. Although that is a little worrying for the club.

Possibly more likely if we were Derby County.

Well you did get the Victoria Cross at Agincourt, although I suppose it was the Henry V Cross then.

[ 390307 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8998, 8999, 9000, 9001, 9002, 9003, 9004 ... 9758  Next