Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: danny, dec, gooner7, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 61 guests

Post #359161  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm 

Man Utd were heading for a thoroughly undeserved 2-0 victory, but Coutinho has just come on to get an assist for Villa's first goal and then score the second himself. 2-2 now.

Post #359162  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Man Utd were heading for a thoroughly undeserved 2-0 victory, but Coutinho has just come on to get an assist for Villa's first goal and then score the second himself. 2-2 now.

Uproarious reaction from Villa park at the equaliser. Glorious, I’m finding Rangnick difficult to dislike though, I like my Utd managers more like Panto Villains please. He just looks a bit forlorn on the sidelines :sad5:

Post #359163  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:40 pm 

I thought this was interesting regarding the postponement taken from The Guardian:

"...the Premier League has arguably set a precedent that was impossible to unravel. When Leicester’s match at Everton, scheduled for 11 January, was called off the league cited “Covid-19 cases, injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations” as the contributing factors."

Post #359164  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

So pleased by the comeback as I was fearing another undeserved win for Man U. We’re playing far better than Man U and Spurs so seeing them pick up wins when playing poorly is grating when we pick up the same 3 points playing well. The optimism I held was that you can’t keep playing badly and winning, or getting last minute winners. So pleasing that Villa came back to give Man U the maximum they deserved. De Gea kept them in it a lot

Post #359165  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm 

Spurs official website gave their response to the game being called off, it was a bit childish and one-eyed and read like something that was trying to be balanced, professional and non-comity all but couldn’t hide that they were fuming that Arsenal weren’t made to play. Save all that for fans forums etc. See Arsenals official response to the Liverpool postponement for how a classy club reacts

Post #359166  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just got back home from playing tennis. Feeling of relief at the news of the postponement.

Why ...no TV coverage in the oxygen tent ...?

Post #359167  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs official website gave their response to the game being called off, it was a bit childish and one-eyed and read like something that was trying to be balanced, professional and non-comity all but couldn’t hide that they were fuming that Arsenal weren’t made to play. Save all that for fans forums etc. See Arsenals official response to the Liverpool postponement for how a classy club reacts

Quote:
..This follows an application from Arsenal to the Premier League on the basis of a combination of COVID, existing and recent injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations.

We are extremely surprised that this application has been approved.

We ourselves were disqualified from the European Conference League after a significant number of COVID cases meant we needed to reschedule a fixture and our application to move our Leicester fixture was not approved - only for it to be subsequently postponed when Leicester applied...

I mean it basically reads ‘Waaaaaaaaah!” :1cry:

Post #359168  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Quote:
..This follows an application from Arsenal to the Premier League on the basis of a combination of COVID, existing and recent injuries and players on international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations.

We are extremely surprised that this application has been approved.

We ourselves were disqualified from the European Conference League after a significant number of COVID cases meant we needed to reschedule a fixture and our application to move our Leicester fixture was not approved - only for it to be subsequently postponed when Leicester applied...

I mean it basically reads ‘Waaaaaaaaah!” :1cry:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :14laughter:

Post #359169  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:30 pm 

Tottenham weren't 'disqualified' from the Conference League. They had to forfeit one game because of covid, which meant they didn't qualify for the next stage since they'd already lost to Vitesse and Mura (best team in Slovenia to be fair) and drew against Rennes.

Post #359170  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Tottenham weren't 'disqualified' from the Conference League. They had to forfeit one game because of covid, which meant they didn't qualify for the next stage since they'd already lost to Vitesse and Mura (best team in Slovenia to be fair) and drew against Rennes.

Most of their fans listen to Phil Collins

Post #359171  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 pm 

Actually, looking at the Slovenian league, Mura are currently the fifth best team.

Post #359172  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:38 pm 

:42laughter:

Attachments:

Post #359173  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:39 pm 

Credit to whoever mocked this one up

Attachments:

Post #359174  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

:1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter: :8surprise: :14laughter: :14laughter:

Post #359175  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:

Attachments:

Post #359176  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 pm 

What's happening in Oz Gaz ...?

Morrison Govt seem to have jumped into a real cesspit regarding Djokovic ....... they'll be damned if they do and damned if they don''t .

Post #359177  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:57 pm 

Rich wrote:

classic ...didn't O'Hara end up playing a couple of games for Tottenham .

Post #359178  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:32 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

Morrison Govt seem to have jumped into a real cesspit regarding Djokovic ....... they'll be damned if they do and damned if they don''t .

I don’t know one person who thinks he should have been able to enter the country without vaccination. But this govt couldn’t organise a r… in a brothel with a fist full of $50’s, so they totally f…Ed it up. Personally very quiet trying to dodge the virus. After NSW decided it was a good idea to have everyone infected the economic downturn is a lot worse than the lockdown period.

We had a good run up here when the borders were closed but now businesses are in big trouble. We hardly got touched by the virus before and people were really good at social distancing and wearing masks. Now they just don’t go out at all.

It has meant I have watched a lot more of the ashes than I have for at least 20 years. Sitting in front of the tv and writing up my coon collection. Just finished the Roman coins yesterday. In other words doing one of those jobs which for years I said I needed to do.

Post #359179  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Phil Collins is a Tottenham fan, so I suppose it shows some solidarity.

Post #359180  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Phil Collins is a Tottenham fan, so I suppose it shows some solidarity.

Never knew that

Explains a lot

Post #359181  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 am 

Look forward to our postponed match against Spurs with a full team. Time to torture them.

Post #359182  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
Pleased to hear Watford got a late equaliser away at Newcastle. Would love to see Newcastle get relegated this season.

Joe Willock has now lost his mojo at Newcastle. Poor chap, looks like he will be shifted off to a Championship team soon.

Post #359183  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:18 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Good, that's 2 points dropped for them.

Post #359184  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:39 am 

Kroenke is at number 11 at the 9:50 minute. The Glazers are number 7 since winning the Super Bowl, they were regarded as one of the worse before.

Post #359185  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:53 am 

I wonder if Gooners have changed their view of the Kroenke's as owners now? I haven't but I wouldn't be surprised if some have. And they would have some validity in why they would think so.

Post #359186  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:55 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I don’t know one person who thinks he should have been able to enter the country without vaccination. But this govt couldn’t organise a r… in a brothel with a fist full of $50’s, so they totally f…Ed it up. Personally very quiet trying to dodge the virus. After NSW decided it was a good idea to have everyone infected the economic downturn is a lot worse than the lockdown period.

We had a good run up here when the borders were closed but now businesses are in big trouble. We hardly got touched by the virus before and people were really good at social distancing and wearing masks. Now they just don’t go out at all.

It has meant I have watched a lot more of the ashes than I have for at least 20 years. Sitting in front of the tv and writing up my coon collection. Just finished the Roman coins yesterday. In other words doing one of those jobs which for years I said I needed to do.

Yeah ..... would have been far easier and [ given the furore it has created ] wiser to have banned his entry into the country altogether

Probably a bit before your time

but it reminds me of sh**tstorm that erupted in Australia back in 1971 .......... I was working in Sydney .

Frank Sinatra was touring the country .... he called one of the hotel waitresses "a hooker ".

That blew up big time ; hotel staff refused to serve him , food , drinks , clean his room . Think from memory a couple of concerts got cancelled .

Unions were very big in those days ; Bob Hawke was the big wheel in the ACTU

So anyway Sinatra decides f**&& it I'll go home ........... :laughing7: :laughing7: airline staff joined the boycott ... he couldn't get a flight out .

In the finish Nixon had to send a US plane , land at an Aussie military base to get him home .

Remember the headline at the time .... " Ol Blue Eyes gets blacked "

Post #359187  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:56 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yeah ..... would have been far easier and [ given the furore it has created ] wiser to have banned his entry into the country altogether

Probably a bit before your time

but it reminds me of sh**tstorm that erupted in Australia back in 1971 .......... I was working in Sydney .

Frank Sinatra was touring the country .... he called one of the hotel waitresses "a hooker ".

That blew up big time ; hotel staff refused to serve him , food , drinks , clean his room . Think from memory a couple of concerts got cancelled .

Unions were very big in those days ; Bob Hawke was the big wheel in the ACTU

So anyway Sinatra decides f**&& it I'll go home ........... :laughing7: :laughing7: airline staff joined the boycott ... he couldn't get a flight out .

In the finish Nixon had to send a US plane , land at an Aussie military base to get him home .

Remember the headline at the time .... " Ol Blue Eyes gets blacked "

I was 15 at the time and vaguely recall it. I think England have a real chance of winning the last test. But every time you think they are in it they fail to take the crucial session or players do something silly. It’s a bit like having a Xhaka in the side. That Tongan incident is really concerning. I worked in Tonga for a month many years ago (it was an AusAID) project. Great place but *%^@ it is low and the sea will have caused a lot of damage and maybe a loss of life as well. I understand they only had 8 minutes to react.

Post #359188  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

classic ...didn't O'Hara end up playing a couple of games for Tottenham .

He did and is massively pro spurs and anti Arsenal any time he opens his gob. There’s a phrase I love which fits him perfectly….”it’s better to say nothing and have everyone think of you as a fool, than open it and confirm it for them”
His Wikipedia page synopsis is interesting….

Attachments:

Post #359189  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Pleased to hear Watford got a late equaliser away at Newcastle. Would love to see Newcastle get relegated this season.

Joe Willock has now lost his mojo at Newcastle. Poor chap, looks like he will be shifted off to a Championship team soon.

Yeah, I wanted him to do well but felt at the time we couldn’t have timed his sale better and extracted £25m for him that looks huge for us right now. Willock is challenging Iwobi as one of our best recent sales

Post #359190  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 am 

Saw someone say that it is kind of ironic that Sky is up on its soap box telling people to think about the disruption to fans when postponing games this close to kick off when isn’t that exactly what Sky have been doing to fans for the last 30 years?! Think of all those midweek late games with long distances to travel and no trains running

Post #359191  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw someone say that it is kind of ironic that Sky is up on its soap box telling people to think about the disruption to fans when postponing games this close to kick off when isn’t that exactly what Sky have been doing to fans for the last 30 years?! Think of all those midweek late games with long distances to travel and no trains running

Absolutely right. I got totally cheesed off with the sheer number of times that I got a ticket only to find that the match would be played on a different day and usually at a really inconvenient time. It’s the only entertainment industry that can get away with it.

Post #359192  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:21 am 

When I first saw this random change on game day in the EPL I thought it was insane but soon realized it corporations over people. Even the NFL and the NBA won't try that. But then again, we have guns. :42laughter:

Joking aside, it is so disrespectful to the average fan it isn't funny.

Post #359193  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder if Gooners have changed their view of the Kroenke's as owners now? I haven't but I wouldn't be surprised if some have. And they would have some validity in why they would think so.

We’ll I’m sure you know the way views are shaping on here. You’ve confirmed you still read my posts and I’d be amazed if that wasn’t the case for everyone else you are supposed to have blocked.

Post #359194  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:45 am 

Next few prem games are ones I look at as a prime opportunity for us to push for 4th. Spurs play Leicester away midweek, tough game. Then at the weekend spurs go away to chelsea and Man U play West Ham where a draw would be perfect…..and we are home to Burnley. Looks like a good opportunity to put 3 points on the board with all our rivals dropping points. If spurs lose both their games and we win ours they’d be 5 points behind with 1 game in hand

Post #359195  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:46 am 

Yeah, I'd be surprised if Sperz can come away with anything more than a draw at Leicester, even though its a down year for the Foxes.

Eventually we have to play the same sides, but if we are up to it, I'd fancy our chances against anyone below Chelsea, Liverpool and City for an outright win. And maybe nick a win against the aforementioned.

Post #359196  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:10 pm 

He hits it on the head. He's a Republican by the way. I don't think he's being hyperbolic or alarmist. One thing he does not say because he's not an economist (neither am I admittedly) but the interesting thing is what will happen in a crash. And I wonder what happens with an economic crash with a Republican controlled government. The last time that happened, it ushered in 20 years of the most liberal American government to date at that time (FDR).

The big questions are
* how will America's traditional allies react when sh*t hits the fan? When America no longer seems a functioning republic? What American history books don't discuss is just how much of an influence international pressure has played at times in our history. One example is the Civil Rights movement. As I understand it (and some of you were alive at that time), the British people were aghast and questioning the special relationship. The UN at that time expanded massively (former French and British colonies now independent) and the USSR telling these new Asian and African countries that they were never colonists or enslavers nor had an apartheid structure so vote with them.

* how will the American high command react in the military? The military has admitted to being infiltrated by the far right. At least a couple dozen former generals, admirals have signed an open letter supporting Trump.

* how bold will China and/or Russia react to this? What will they do assuming America is too pre-occupied or too weak? All of Ukraine? Taiwan? Other places?

Post #359197  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:37 pm 

I'd love nothing more (well, a CL trophy if I'm honest) than to dominate the NLD again. When I became a fan we either won 1 and draw 1 or won both, I didn't see us lose to Tottenham in the league till well into my time as a fan.

Same with Chelsea. It wasn't until when Mourinho came basically (we'll forget the CL loss). I don't expect to dominate them again. They have way too much money now for that to happen but I would like us to win more often than we have.

I loathe Man Utd and would like to see us repay that big loss. Looking back we are a better side than they are this season, we really should have beaten them. I'd like to nick Martial off them but it won't happen.

Post #359198  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:24 pm 

https://www.justarsenal.com/middlesbrough-boss-pleased-with-baloguns-debut-performance/301226

'...with Balogun replacing Connolly in the 67th minute with the score at 0-0. Reading immediately took the lead, but Balogun helped as Matt Crooks scored twice in the last 10 minutes for a great comeback win.'

Post #359199  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Same with Chelsea. It wasn't until when Mourinho came basically (we'll forget the CL loss). I don't expect to dominate them again. They have way too much money now for that to happen but I would like us to win more often than we have.

I’m certain you’ll read this but I’m equally sure you won’t reply. But why are you so dismissive of Arsenal getting the upper hand over Chelsea, if the Kroenke’s are finally doping us now? However unlikely the transfer may appear, if we do end up signing Vlahovic I suspect it will be very close to the final nail in the coffin for claims that the Kroenke’s aren’t and using that as the reason or excuse for saying we can’t compete with Chelsea.

Takes me back to the proviso I’ve mentioned before and Decaf implied quite recently. For me the most vital question is whether KSE will raid Arsenal’s future income to get the money back. That’s why I was more disappointed about the interview with Josh that was praised so much by some here. That crucial issue was ignored by both the interviewer and ‘smoothie’ Josh, and for me it’s the most important issue that could have been addressed.

Post #359200  Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:30 pm 

Hoping to see Balogun among the highlights.

[ 390279 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8977, 8978, 8979, 8980, 8981, 8982, 8983 ... 9757  Next