Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 84 guests

Post #354641  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
We look mid table at best.

12th place now, and at least six teams above us would kill to have our starting eleven.

When the total is less than the sum of the individual parts you have to blame the manager don't you?.

Too many sub-par performances under Arteta against good but not great opposition.

Post #354642  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm 

Very surprised by Paddy.
Thought he was average at best and would have preferred Arteta to him when Emery was sacked but has surprise me.
Doing a good job at palace and has changed their identity.
Thought Zaha missing was a massive boost for us but even without him palace were the better team.
We got out of jail for sure.
Arteta is a poor manager.
We looked toothless and this is on paper our strongest team.
We are being dominated now by teams who not long ago were swatted aside by us.
Not anymore.
Really fearing that villa game on this performance.

Post #354643  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:07 pm 

Pépé is a show pony with dancing feet but he appears to actually be quite a brainless, sum might even say aimless, footballer whose undoubted technical skills are not utilised in any really progressive way.

Post #354644  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm 

I think this formation where we only play Partey in midfield is not the way to go. There are too many well organised teams in the league who overrun us there. If Xhaka was fit we’d never be playing this formation.

If Saka is the best left wing and right wing we have then play him on his stronger side. Get him on the right and move others around to accommodate him.

The ominous thing is this is pretty much the best 11 we have and in terms of starting 11’s there’s not much different we can feasibly do.

Post #354645  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Both promising players but *%^@*** hell Ødegaard and Smith Rowe aren’t good enough to be the creative hub of this team yet. Saka goes off and our final ball is non existent it’s Pépé or bust. No combination play nothing. It’s all very average, some days they will do well but others it won’t work and I think both those scenarios will happen with equal frequency.

Not sure what the answer is.

I actually genuinely forgot that Ødegaard was even on the pitch in the 2nd half.

Post #354646  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
Pépé is a show pony with dancing feet but he appears to actually be quite a brainless, sum might even say aimless, footballer whose undoubted technical skills are not utilised in any really progressive way.

My frustration is with him is there are some pretty big average wingers or strikers who look far more dangerous in the league. Ayew tonight was a better winger than Pépé.
I still don’t think we use him to suit his skills though. Pépé tends to receive the ball between the edge of the box and the touchline. If we can get him the ball more centrally we utilise him better. That’s not saying start him as a 10. If you look where a lot of his good moments come from it’s much closer to the goal, he’s not really a touchline hugging winger.

Post #354647  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:15 pm 

socrates wrote:

I find myself agreeing and somehow trying to reconcile the fact he came away with basically an assist and by the end of the season his numbers always suggest he has end product. He’s maddening though. I do wish he’d get a consistent run in the team in his best position (at the expense of Saka…. :25surprise:) so we can finally write him off or watch him come good. Well better.

Post #354648  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm 

I am actually beginning to think that Tierney's tendency to play high up the pitch and whip crosses in is more of a hindrance than a help. We don't get enough players in the box to justify it and it becomes a fruitless tactic.

Post #354649  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 pm 

What I would say about Pépé is he is inconsistent and frustrating in equal measure but he can provide a moment of goalscoring quality be it a shot or cross that brings a goal and there are NOT many players in our squad capable of doing that there really isn’t.

There is not a lot of goals in this side. Go through it player by player. Not enough quality on the ball.

Post #354650  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Unacceptable. This should have been 3 points.

Looking on the bright side, it is important that we kept the unbeaten run going.

Having said that, I'm not in the least bit confident that it will last much longer. There are only so many 'get out of jail' cards in the pack. We simply need to do better than that.

Post #354651  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think this formation where we only play Partey in midfield is not the way to go. There are too many well organised teams in the league who overrun us there. If Xhaka was fit we’d never be playing this formation.

I actually have some sympathy for Partey, who had a poor game. Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard are attacking players, not proper midfielders. Partey is basically left trying to hold the midfield together on his own, and that's extremely difficult at this level. In a time where a lot of teams (most of the really good ones actually) are playing with three midfielders to win that important battle, we're playing with one.

Post #354652  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I actually have some sympathy for Partey, who had a poor game. Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard are attacking players, not proper midfielders. Partey is basically left trying to hold the midfield together on his own, and that's extremely difficult at this level. In a time where a lot of teams (most of the really good ones actually) are playing with three midfielders to win that important battle, we're playing with one.

Its incredibly difficult, maybe even impossible, to boss a PL midfield on your own. The midfield battle is often where a game is one and lost. Dominate the midfield and you have half a chance.

Post #354653  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:28 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Its incredibly difficult, maybe even impossible, to boss a PL midfield on your own. The midfield battle is often where a game is one and lost. Dominate the midfield and you have half a chance.

Sympathy in getting overrun in 3v1 midfields yes, but no slack for dawdling on the ball and getting his pocket picked. If Xhaka made the mistake Partey did tonight he be getting it with both barrels by the fans

Post #354654  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:29 pm 

Looks more like the rampant performance v Spurs was much more to do with spurs bizarre tactical plan of emptying their midfield than any remarkable brilliance from us.
It’s the team we need to go back to though. Saka on the right and Emile Smith Rowe on the left with Ødegaard in the middle.

Post #354655  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Sympathy in getting overrun in 3v1 midfields yes, but no slack for dawdling on the ball and getting his pocket picked. If Xhaka made the mistake Partey did tonight he be getting it with both barrels by the fans

Of course, it was a massive error. Unfortunately, he has those caught on the ball moments in his locker.

Post #354656  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Looks more like the rampant performance v Spurs was much more to do with spurs bizarre tactical plan of emptying their midfield than any remarkable brilliance from us.
It’s the team we need to go back to though. Saka on the right and Emile Smith Rowe on the left with Ødegaard in the middle.

In truth Spurs were diabolical 1st half, we capitalised and took our chances but even in the 2nd half we ran out of steam and could have conceded a couple.

Post #354657  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:36 pm 

We have no real fluidity to our play.

We don't really create many chances in open play and we don't have many individuals with goals in them and that is a problem.

Post #354658  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:46 pm 

I noticed sky replaced the Gallagher tackle on Lokonga quite a lot in the build up to their 2nd goal. There didn’t seem to be much commentary to go with it but sky were trying to show that Gallagher didn’t actually touch the ball. He more sort of leaned in to Lokonga. I didn’t think it was a free kick but some refs would have given it much to the frustration of palace for sure

Post #354659  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Of course, it was a massive error. Unfortunately, he has those caught on the ball moments in his locker.

I’ve said before I’m not convinced his best position is the deepest lying midfielder. That said I want to see my dynamism from him in games, I want it to be Partey with his athleticism and physique being the one hustling and knocking players off the ball.

Once again we have a game where we don’t win unless our best players actually play well. Arteta has yet to find a way to win games when we struggle for fluidity.

Post #354660  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:53 pm 

Basically the Deontay wilder of the premier league.

On our day we can absolutely smash any side in a 20 minute period but our team is too young and immature to control the game so there will be periods where we allow the opposition to come back into it.

Post #354661  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

I’ve said before I’m not convinced his best position is the deepest lying midfielder. That said I want to see my dynamism from him in games, I want it to be Partey with his athleticism and physique being the one hustling and knocking players off the ball.

Once again we have a game where we don’t win unless our best players actually play well. Arteta has yet to find a way to win games when we struggle for fluidity.

We generally always struggle for fluidity. How many times have we actually played an exciting, expansive, attacking brand of football under Arteta's reign?

Post #354662  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
I noticed sky replaced the Gallagher tackle on Lokonga quite a lot in the build up to their 2nd goal. There didn’t seem to be much commentary to go with it but sky were trying to show that Gallagher didn’t actually touch the ball. He more sort of leaned in to Lokonga. I didn’t think it was a free kick but some refs would have given it much to the frustration of palace for sure

Yeah I thought that but generally, and especially this season, that’s not going to be given and I’ve got no huge complaints with no whistle there. The way the league is being officiated this season favours pressing because if you bundle someone you’re more than likely going to get away with it. Shame we don’t really do it with any real consistency or expertise.

Post #354663  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:56 pm 

Rich wrote:

I think Norwich and Burnley were those type of wins. The more pressing issue for me is that we don't have any fluidity to our game at all. First half against Tottenham seems very much like the exception, we're just a poor attacking side on a consistent basis. More bad attacking performances than good ones, and it's been going on for years now.

Post #354664  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Basically the Deontay wilder of the premier league.

On our day we can absolutely smash any side in a 20 minute period but our team is too young and immature to control the game so there will be periods where we allow the opposition to come back into it.

I am not sure we are big punchers TG, we throw very few punches and those we do throw tend to fall short. We generally barely lay a glove on the opposition.

Post #354665  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I actually have some sympathy for Partey, who had a poor game. Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard are attacking players, not proper midfielders. .

There you have it.

Post #354666  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:34 am 

Ash wrote:
Yeah I thought that but generally, and especially this season, that’s not going to be given and I’ve got no huge complaints with no whistle there. The way the league is being officiated this season favours pressing because if you bundle someone you’re more than likely going to get away with it. Shame we don’t really do it with any real consistency or expertise.

Yes the lack of proper press from us is a huge concern. Especially when you see other coaches coach an effective press in next to no time. Aubameyang looked eager to press today, Ødegaard and Emile Smith Rowe are generally on board but we struggle to form any press that looks properly worked out on the training pitch. Some teams only press in certain areas, some have trigger pressing like when they spot a bad touch or odd played behind a player, or some just press all the time. Palace did that to us and we struggled. We struggle to press and struggle to have an effective plan against the press save for a couple of one touch moves that are 1 in 10 events.

Anytime I’ve seen Arsenal play good dominant football under Arteta it has been high energy, high tempo and with a high press. And also I can’t think of many games where we’ve played this way and it’s been to our detriment ie: just got picked off on the counter for fun

Post #354667  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:22 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Both promising players but *%^@*** hell Ødegaard and Smith Rowe aren’t good enough to be the creative hub of this team yet. Saka goes off and our final ball is non existent it’s Pépé or bust. No combination play nothing. It’s all very average, some days they will do well but others it won’t work and I think both those scenarios will happen with equal frequency.

Not sure what the answer is.

I actually genuinely forgot that Ødegaard was even on the pitch in the 2nd half.

This has been my worry about Ødegaard. He just doesn't seem to have the energy to stay active in a game, doesn't drive forward with the ball and also lacks pace. He wasn't the only one though. Pépé was awful, Tierney just didn't seem to want to run and constantly passed it back.

After a bright start, the 1st half just seem to pass us by and the young squad doesn't yet have the personalities to give it a jump start. At half time, I really don't understand why Arteta replaced Saka with a central midfielder when Martinelli is a direct and dangerous replacement. If the intent was to sure up the midfield and provide more options to get through the Palace midfield pressure then Lakonga doens't have the experience to come on in this type of situation to offer that.

Only bright spot for me was Partey whose workrate was second to none.

Overall a game the Palace fully deserved to win.

Post #354668  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 am 

Rich wrote:
We struggle to create chances, we struggle to press home any advantage we do get and we struggle to get back in to things when we face adversity

And how long has it been like this? Arsenal are the epitome of the soft underbelly. Every team, manager, player and their dog know that if you give 100% effort, stack a solid defence and go for the 50/50 tackles then you have a good chance of getting a result. And with a performance like today it's no surprise that Arsenal's reputation is what it is.

There are some things I like about how we play in patches but I find myself asking "why?" with so many passages of play and the on field decision making. Is it just youth and experience or Arteta or a mixture of both, dunno.

Post #354669  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 am 

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5815

This rating is generous on Ode. I would give him 0/10. Totally anonymous. Nothing useful from him to get our attacking play going.

Post #354670  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:36 am 

I had a feeling those that thought we'd get 6 points from the 2 games after the break were a bit optimistic. A point is not great but we'd have easily lost this game over a month ago.

I'm very happy for Vieira though. He has them playing well even without their best player. Palace fans will leave seeing it as 2 points lost while Arsenal fans left seeing it as a lucky point gained.

I've said before I've always liked Lacazette but I understood why Arsenal fans wanted to let him go. Maybe we will still do that. I don't think there is much Lacazette can do to be taken off the selling block.

Post #354671  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 am 

It’s the lack of goals that will be the end of Arteta. Not getting a tune out of these players when you’ve been in the job almost two years and spent some serious money is not a good look. Certain areas have definitely improved but our passive forward play will be the death knell for him.

Post #354672  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:57 am 

One of the particularly damning things for Arteta last night was how Vieira in the space of 3 months has turned Palace in to a direct counter attack only team to a team with an organised all pitch press, high line and clear plan of attacking football. Vieira must be kicking himself that he decided to settle for the 2-1 with 10 minutes to go.

He’s been in the job longer but you could also add Potter in his in the way he’s changed Brighton from a very dull defensive team to a very good football team

Post #354673  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 am 

Our build up play is so slow. The problem stems from not getting the ball through the lines from back to front. For this you need a few key things.
1. Players with good enough passing to play these balls - well that’s exactly why we recruited White and Gabriel.
2. Movement from the players receiving the ball. I think this is the bigger problem as we seem to empty the centre of the pitch and there seems to be a lack of options for the defence

Post #354674  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 am 

I do think its time for a change.

Arteta has had two years in charge, has spent a fair amount of money but is yet to produce a side that either excites the fans or gets the desired results. It seems that whatever group of players he has at his disposal he cannot get a decent tune out of them. Certainly not a tune worth listening to anyway.

I am sad to say that because another upheaval is the last thing we need but sometimes you just have to make difficult decisions for the good of the club.

I have seen very little in terms of Arteta's teams selections, tactics, intra-game management, man management skills etc that lead me to think this guy is the real deal, he just needs time.

Post #354675  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:07 am 

The harsh reality is that Ødegaard is not playing well enough to be in the team but our options creatively are limited. Ode has a lovely soft touch, excellent technical skills and a decent range of passing but he appears relatively slow and is too easy to shove off the ball. At the moment he just does not influence games enough to justify his inclusion.

He was Ozil-like yesterday and I mean the anonymous Özil. He works far harder but we bought him to dictate games and create chances not disappear from them.

Post #354676  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 am 

I thought the defending for both their goals was very poor.

Partey made a horrific mistake but Benteke side stepped Gabriel far too easily to get his shot away and no one closed down Edouard.

Post #354677  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 am 

Darren wrote:
It’s the lack of goals that will be the end of Arteta. Not getting a tune out of these players when you’ve been in the job almost two years and spent some serious money is not a good look. Certain areas have definitely improved but our passive forward play will be the death knell for him.

Hi Darren,

I agree. Our inability to create chances and score goals means that every single game is a 95 min struggle. Every side in the PL has at least one player who can hurt you and all it takes is a set play, a moment of individual brilliance or a defensive error and, hey presto, you are in trouble.

Post #354678  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:19 am 

Darren wrote:

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm at the stage now where it's just waiting for it to get bad enough that he's replaced, and then hopefully we can move on. The squad is good. We have good players for every position, most of them at a good age too.

Arteta is running out of excuses; he's been given time, he's been given money, he's been able to make his signings, and the football continues to be absolutely dreary. Moyes didn't need two years to get West Ham playing good football, Benitez quickly got Everton to perform, Tuchel made an instant impact at Chelsea. I'm struggling to see any evidence that Arteta can get the team playing good attacking football, and after two years in charge I think that's a statement that can be made with some certainty.

Post #354679  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:47 am 

We miss Xhaka. I know people won't like to hear it but Partey on his own can't hold the midfield. Lokonga even less so. For games like these Aubamayang and Lacazette upfront.

Post #354680  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:50 am 

Disagree, some one is smoking the funny stuff.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/arsenal-let-go-gem-some-fans-accuse-mikel-arteta-committing-transfer-mistake?key4=skfootballfb&utm_source=FBAUTOFEED&utm_medium=SKFootballFB

[ 390302 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8864, 8865, 8866, 8867, 8868, 8869, 8870 ... 9758  Next