Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: dec and 84 guests

Post #354481  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I have to agree with you on this one. Oxlade-Chamberlain isn’t the worst player I’ve seen play for the club by a long way. But he’s probably just as far from being the best. Perhaps I’m being a little over-harsh but for me the word ‘average’ could have been invented to describe him.

I think he’s better than average and certainly better than AMN and elnenny I’m just fed up with the notion these twats can treat the club like shite and we just invite them back when they can’t get a game or contract elsewhere. Resigning Flamini never sat well with me either.

The only exception I’d make to this rule was not resigning Cesc which was a ridiculous decision.

I don’t think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (AOC) ever played as well for Arsenal as Elneny did in that game he had at Old Trafford, whenever it was. Sure, it may have been a one off but on the evidence of that I’d say Elneny’s best is better than what I’d expect we’d get from AOC. I’d certainly rather have AMN than AOC, despite AMN’s lack of passing ability. At least he’d win you the ball more often.

As a general rule I’m not a fan of bringing old players back either, although it was exciting to see Henry back in the shirt and Sol was still, as I recall DHD saying, our best central defender on his return on loan. Not bringing Fabregas back never really bothered me, especially as I understood Wenger’s reason for not doing it.

I just think the club should try and move forward rather than live in the past and bring old players back. I understand there may be occasions when it can bring benefits. But whatever Kroenke is doing to us, Arsenal is still bigger than any single player, including Fabregas let alone AOC. Long after everyone who ever saw Fabregas is six foot under, I’m sure there will still be an Arsenal FC despite KSE.

Post #354482  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I have to agree with you on this one. Oxlade-Chamberlain isn’t the worst player I’ve seen play for the club by a long way. But he’s probably just as far from being the best. Perhaps I’m being a little over-harsh but for me the word ‘average’ could have been invented to describe him.

I think he’s better than average and certainly better than AMN and elnenny I’m just fed up with the notion these twats can treat the club like shite and we just invite them back when they can’t get a game or contract elsewhere. Resigning Flamini never sat well with me either.

The only exception I’d make to this rule was not resigning Cesc which was a ridiculous decision.

Bernard, would you take Gnabry back?

Post #354483  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (AOC) ever played as well for Arsenal as Elneny did in that game he had at Old Trafford, whenever it was. Sure, it may have been a one off but on the evidence of that I’d say Elneny’s best is better than what I’d expect we’d get from AOC. I’d certainly rather have AMN than AOC, despite AMN’s lack of passing ability. At least he’d win you the ball more often.

Ox had several good games for us Bernard you must have forgotten. Do you remember when RVP was going crazy at wenger when he subbed him againest man united when he was having an absolute stormer? He also had a few real great games in the champions league including one againest Milan plus I remember him playing in centre midfield in a game at st marys where he showed his full array of short and long range passing in an impressive game.

Still wouldn’t resign him but he’s streets ahead of AMN and El Nenny in terms of technical ability when he’s on the pitch

Post #354484  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ox had several good games for us Bernard you must have forgotten. Do you remember when RVP was going crazy at wenger when he subbed him againest man united when he was having an absolute stormer? He also had a few real great games in the champions league including one againest Milan plus I remember him playing in centre midfield in a game at st marys where he showed his full array of short and long range passing in an impressive game.

Still wouldn’t resign him but he’s streets ahead of AMN and El Nenny in terms of technical ability when he’s on the pitch

I never said AOC didn’t have several good games. Of course he did. But in them he never reached the level of that single game Elneny had at Old Trafford. That’s my point.

I’m not talking of technical ability either. I would agree if you were rating AOC, Elneny and AMN in terms of skill, AOC would come top. But having more talent on the ball than the others didn’t stop AOC from having many average games. Alan Hudson had as much skill as practically anyone I’ve seen play for the club. But he had many games in which he underachieved.

It’s not only about skill. If it was, Hudson would be one of the greatest Arsenal players of the last fifty years. But he isn’t. Not even close, despite being one of the most gifted.

Post #354485  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard, would you take Gnabry back?

I would certainly consider it, but it wouldn’t sit comfortably with me. It’s not like he’s one of the best Bayern players of all time anyway. I’d rather the club look for a new forward from elsewhere than getting Gnabry from Bayern.

As I say, my natural inclination is to look forward than bringing back former players. It’s just the way my attitude is regarding football signings. If I was an Atletico fan I wouldn’t favour trying to buy Partey back.

Post #354486  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 am 

I was actually a fan of the U.S. women's national team in football before I was an Arsenal fan. I am still a bigger fan of them than I am the men's team. The women play vastly more exciting football than the men's team.

I also slightly followed the Arsenal women's team and would include them in things to watch when I visit England. I recall our women's team team being heads and shoulders better than anyone else.

However, the football that has corrupted the EPL seems to have done the same with the women's league. Chelsea have now been dominating domestic women's football. Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are the only sides that have won titles in the last 10 years. Even though City have only won 1 title they were runner ups 5 times which attests to how much money they have put into it. I don't know if women teams have the same FFP rules but even if they do, it would appear that they have the same effect as the men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... _champions

Post #354487  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 pm 

A super computer has predicted the final Premier League placings at the end of the season. It makes Chelsea title winners by ten points, has Watford surviving and Arsenal in thirteenth place. If Arsenal finish thirteenth after the money spent in the transfer market and the talent coming through the youth academy, I think Arteta will be getting his P45 in a plain brown envelope as soon as the season ends.

I went through the strength of the overall squad fairly recently as well the first team. Arsenal should get a Europa League place in my view.

Myself, I suspect the anticipated table was put together by the first electric toothbrush ever made that is now not only out of date but worn out. A super computer? Yeah right. I’ve had pocket calculators more ‘super’.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #354488  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 pm 

I thought this was kinda cool. Kids recreating the M*A*S*H cast.

Attachments:

Post #354489  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:13 pm 

It will be surreal seeing Vieira again in this incarnation. Obviously hope we win but not a hiding. One of my fave players with a club I have a soft spot for.

Post #354490  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
A super computer has predicted the final Premier League placings at the end of the season. It makes Chelsea title winners by ten points, has Watford surviving and Arsenal in thirteenth place. If Arsenal finish thirteenth after the money spent in the transfer market and the talent coming through the youth academy, I think Arteta will be getting his P45 in a plain brown envelope as soon as the season ends.

I went through the strength of the overall squad fairly recently as well the first team. Arsenal should get a Europa League place in my view.

Myself, I suspect the anticipated table was put together by the first electric toothbrush ever made that is now not only out of date but worn out. A super computer? Yeah right. I’ve had pocket calculators more ‘super’.

The supercomputer came up with some controversial predictions there, but I think we can all agree that Brentford will qualify for the Champions League.

Post #354491  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The supercomputer came up with some controversial predictions there, but I think we can all agree that Brentford will qualify for the Champions League.

Good point. I should have mentioned that one.

Post #354492  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:18 am 

Morning Chums

Neither I nor any of my family or friends can make it to the Liverpool away game this season – Sat 20 Nov 5:30 pm – (it's on SKY).

So does anybody want 2 tickets for the match? PM me if you do. I’d need to apply today or tomorrow.

Post #354493  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:

Predicts we're getting just 1 more away point this season.

That's a seriously pessimistic toothbrush.

Post #354494  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Predicts we're getting just 1 more away point this season.

That's a seriously pessimistic toothbrush.

Was the super computer some of the sky commentators, on the turps, writing down where they hope teams will finish.

Post #354495  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm 

Noa Lang for Pepé in January.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-21854834

Post #354496  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:39 pm 

Zed wrote:

Football London is an absolutely shite website. It's pure clickbait.

Post #354497  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:22 pm 

Man U will have to play their 3rd and 4th choice CB pair for the next couple of games. £60m combined Bailly and Lindelof. Reading the media it’s like the excuses are already lined up for Man U if they don’t win.

Post #354498  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 pm 

dec wrote:
Zed wrote:

Football London is an absolutely shite website. It's pure clickbait.

Not the only outlet this Noa thing showed. Pain in the Arsenal had it 2 days ago. Reported only doesn't mean it happens obviously.

Post #354499  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:26 pm 

From a Palace forum:

If Xhaka is still suspended. Draw 1-1.

If Xhaka plays. We win 3-1.

Most overrated player in the PL by far.

Although somehow he looked decent this summer for Switzerland.

Post #354500  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
From a Palace forum:

If Xhaka is still suspended. Draw 1-1.

If Xhaka plays. We win 3-1.

Most overrated player in the PL by far.

Although somehow he looked decent this summer for Switzerland.

Those Palace fans are a bit out of touch seeing as Xhaka has been ruled out injured until the New Year

Post #354501  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:12 pm 

Very please to see Leicester beat Man U 4-2. At 1-1 I thought this was going to be another get out of jail late goal from Man U, a moment of individual skill papering over the cracks of another weak performance and even weaker managerial tactics. I wrote a while back that I felt a lot of last season Man U kept sneaking points even when they played badly and it was annoying, the temptation was to brand them lucky (which I'm sure I did many times) but the reality is that they still have some very very good players who are capable of that individual moment to bail them out of games, and they have a lot of players who are willing to try something, be that shooting on site or dribbling aggressively in the box so things can happen. My opinion of Ole hasn't changed, the guy is definitely out of his depth, clearly the weakest of the top 4 managers and as much stick as Arteta takes there is no chance in a million years I'd swap him for Ole!

Post #354502  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:19 pm 

Just noticed that we're the friday game next week, meaning we play monday then friday. Shouldn't be a problem for us as we have players used to playing twice a week but our opponents on friday are Villa who will have 52 hours more to prepare for the game - kind of takes away our advantage of not being in Europe this year because that's the kind of extra prep time teams get over teams with european football

Post #354503  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 pm 

They may be but their view on Xhaka is the take away from it. lol

Post #354504  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 pm 

Yeah Leicester. Hope Liverpool loses soon and put my annual angst to bed.

Post #354505  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 pm 

Man U have 2 wins in 7 and both are those wins we’re last minute winners having been outplayed. The longer Ole stays as their manager the better. Most opposition fans would say the same and that should be pretty deafening for them.

Post #354506  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:10 pm 

After tomorrow’s games we play twice before anyone else, both games at home. 6 points from those 2 games would have us probably in 4/5th. Need to take advantage of these games

Post #354507  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:37 am 

I don't know many hard core Man Utd fans but the few I know what OGS out. One guy said the board is just waiting for an excuse that everyone can accept. Everytime he gets a bad run of games, he said OGS pulls a big win out of his Arsenal and saves his job.

They think the job is way too big for him. He wants either a big name manager or Neville if they stay inside the club. But prefers going outside.

Post #354508  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know many hard core Man Utd fans but the few I know what OGS out. One guy said the board is just waiting for an excuse that everyone can accept. Everytime he gets a bad run of games, he said OGS pulls a big win out of his Arsenal and saves his job.

They think the job is way too big for him. He wants either a big name manager or Neville if they stay inside the club. But prefers going outside.

He’s totally out of his depth. He played a team yesterday with Ronaldo, Greenwood, Sancho, Fernandes and Pogba. I don’t think any of them work hard without the ball and they can’t press. Add in that the defensive shield is Matic who is so immobile and slow. It’s a team that’s been put together at huge expense and yes when they face a team equally as disorganised off the ball they will steamroller them with their talent but plenty more teams will turn them over or give them a helluva game simply by being bang on it without the ball

Post #354509  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:09 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U have 2 wins in 7 and both are those wins we’re last minute winners having been outplayed. The longer Ole stays as their manager the better. Most opposition fans would say the same and that should be pretty deafening for them.

Morning Rich. Must admit I’m confused by your comment about being pleased Manchester United were beaten by Leicester (in post 536355) and then shortly after (in post 536359) you say the longer OGS stays in post the better, which I agree with. In my view the word ‘contradictory’ could have been invented to describe your posts 536355 and 536359.

Myself, while I don’t want Manchester United to go on a winning run that brings them success or trophies, I am happy to see them winning enough games to keep OGS in his job. I don’t dislike Leicester but I’ve no affinity with them. I would have felt perfectly comfortable with Manchester United beating them yesterday.

Post #354510  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm 

Germany has some talented young players coming through in the next generation. Florian Wirtz plays for Bayer Leverkusen, 18 years old, forward, 6 goals and 5 assists in 8 games so far this season. Already has 4 caps for the senior national team.

Also worth keeping an eye on Kameldeen Sulemana, young Rennes winger who tore PSG apart at the weekend. Absolute pace to burn.

We're going to need a bit of an overhaul in our strikers/forwards soon. With the likes of Saka/Emile Smith Rowe/Ødegaard seemingly cemented for the long term it will be important to get someone in to compliment them, for me that means blistering pace. I'd much rather we go for a younger forward with great athletic ability and pace than a Giroud type (not a dig at Giroud btw).

Post #354511  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning Rich. Must admit I’m confused by your comment about being pleased Manchester United were beaten by Leicester (in post 536355) and then shortly after (in post 536359) you say the longer OGS stays in post the better, which I agree with. In my view the word ‘contradictory’ could have been invented to describe your posts 536355 and 536359.

Myself, while I don’t want Manchester United to go on a winning run that brings them success or trophies, I am happy to see them winning enough games to keep OGS in his job. I don’t dislike Leicester but I’ve no affinity with them. I would have felt perfectly comfortable with Manchester United beating them yesterday.

Haha, well I don't think that single defeat will get Ole the sack. I said I was pleased because it was another poor Man U performance for which they deserved to be punished as they have an annoying ability to squeeze undeserved wins from such performances. Then the comment about keeping Ole is because I don't think they'll challenge anything with him there. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Post #354512  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:07 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449 ... 82214?s=20

Arsenal twitter posted this our 49th unbeaten game. 3-1 win v Villa at home. Watch the second Arsenal goal and see how quickly and easily we moved the ball from defence to midfield, lethal and clinical. However, the team was very good at doing this but the premier league is a much better league now than it was back then. Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

There was a tipping point maybe about 6 years or so ago (as my best guess) where the TV money in the prem went astronomical, far superseding match day revenue. Of course the rich got very rich but it also meant that even teams at the bottom of the prem could easily outspend all but maybe 15 or so teams in the whole of the rest of Europe. You had teams at the bottom of the league being able to spend £30m on players, not all with great success but there are some very good players now in the lower parts of the league. I rarely see this sort of easy to play against set up that was often the case in 2003-4, and this isn't to downplay how good the invincibles were but the caliber of teams from 6th-14th is miles better today

Post #354513  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449447238757982214?s=20

Arsenal twitter posted this our 49th unbeaten game. 3-1 win v Villa at home. Watch the second Arsenal goal and see how quickly and easily we moved the ball from defence to midfield, lethal and clinical. However, the team was very good at doing this but the premier league is a much better league now than it was back then. Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

There was a tipping point maybe about 6 years or so ago (as my best guess) where the TV money in the prem went astronomical, far superseding match day revenue. Of course the rich got very rich but it also meant that even teams at the bottom of the prem could easily outspend all but maybe 15 or so teams in the whole of the rest of Europe. You had teams at the bottom of the league being able to spend £30m on players, not all with great success but there are some very good players now in the lower parts of the league. I rarely see this sort of easy to play against set up that was often the case in 2003-4, and this isn't to downplay how good the invincibles were but the caliber of teams from 6th-14th is miles better today

Thanks for posting the Villa game clip. One of our great games imo. Totally destroyed Villa that day even though, completely against run of play they went goal up. Recall very clearly when it was 3-1 that I couldn’t imagine anything would ever change. Ho hum.
I think, a couple of weeks later, I saw a DVD of game on sale for £10 outside Arsenal tube and, to my great regret, was in a rush and didn’t buy it. Never saw DVD again but still often think and talk bout that game. A wonderful afternoon.

Post #354514  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449447238757982214?s=20

Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

Agreed. The passing was ridiculously easy. Each time our players were able to turn and run in the opponents half. Very few if any Prem teams would allow that today.

Post #354515  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Neither did I in the spirit of what you wrote...oh well. lol

Post #354516  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Neither did I in the spirit of what you wrote...oh well. lol

Rich said he was pleased United lost at Leicester then implied the longer OGS stays in post the worse it’ll be for them. While I agree yesterday’s result won’t be enough to get him the sack, it’s obvious that, added to other poor results, will together contribute to him eventually losing his job.

And what makes you hypocritical American is calling other people a troll. You had to get involved, didn’t you? Even though you lack the courage to include my post in the quote.

Post #354517  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 pm 

This series of games before the next international break is where Arteta will need to demonstrate progress. Three home games and Leicester away. 10 points will be par for course I would have thought.

The games that follow up to New Year have some difficult games.

Post #354518  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This series of games before the next international break is where Arteta will need to demonstrate progress. Three home games and Leicester away. 10 points will be par for course I would have thought.

In the last couple of weeks, Man United have played two of those same fixtures - at home to Villa and away to Leicester - and lost them both. Three wins and a draw would be nice, but 'par for the course' probably makes it sound a fraction easier than it is.

Post #354519  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:26 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

In the last couple of weeks, Man United have played two of those same fixtures - at home to Villa and away to Leicester - and lost them both. Three wins and a draw would be nice, but 'par for the course' probably makes it sound a fraction easier than it is.

If we are to be in with a shout of Europa League next season I think we must win these games at home. Every team has some period of really poor play and drops points. We will have some hard games after this period. I need to see some real consistent improvement and now is the time to deliver. Spurs was one step forward and Brighton one back after less than convincing performances against Norwich and Burnley. Tactically I will watch with a lot of interest.

Post #354520  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 am 

It will be 3am for me when Arsenal kicks off against Palace today. Hope the team play fast and furious football to keep me awake.

[ 390297 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8860, 8861, 8862, 8863, 8864, 8865, 8866 ... 9758  Next