Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, john1, mcquilkie, Rich, warrior and 295 guests

Post #479361  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Fabrizio Romano tweeting that Ben White is a done deal 100%.

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Gives us options at CB, RB and DM. Delighted with this signing.

Post #479362  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm 

Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Post #479363  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
But Kronke is getting a good return on his investment by just sitting back and doing nothing. He’s got plenty of other business and sports interests so perhaps he sees Arsenal as the steady one that ticks over, why go for even more riches when it could also mean losing.

As you say, he's getting a very good return.
However, I also see fans writing about him head scratching why he doesn't do this or that for the club. He doesn't care. We are no different than owning Google stock. His priority are the Los Angeles Rams. Interestingly enough we are the only asset he has with global recognition. I assume its one of the selling points Dein told him when he talked him into investing in us.

We may have spent a decent amount of money but its not from Kroenke dipping into his pocket. Its internally generated from what I understand. I could be wrong but its what I understand.

Furthermore, his sporting assets have been hit hard by Covid19 restrictions. The NFL took out a massive loan and as one of the team owners he's partially responsible to help pay it off. America, and California specifically have been woeful in handling Covid19 and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer than expected to get fans back to the stadium. The Delta variant may hinder fans returning in England.

Bottomline is Kroenke is under some financial pressure. I am hoping someone has told him that he needs to focus on getting us back in the CL for financial reasons and that may loosen the purse strings a little. Spend to get more in the long run.

Anyway, since when he first bought into us, he's got a good return considering.

Post #479364  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Ask, maybe. But not make.

Post #479365  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Good spot. It is Azeez. Legs of oak.

He’s got a great shot from distance - no wonder looking at those tanks holding him up. I’d put him just behind Lokonga then in getting some minutes this season. I wish if only for the sake of players like him, Willock Balogun and Martinelli we were in the Europa. Players who seem good enough for some minutes but I can’t see really apart from injuries where they might get them.

Since no one else is going to give me credit might as well toot the old horn myself. Called it! :emoticon_mClapp:

Post #479366  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm 

Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

Post #479367  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

warrior wrote:
I've just optimised the PHP tables. I believe things should be faster now.

Rog ...

Thanks for all you continue to do Rog.

Very much appreciated.

Post #479368  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

.. also he’s only got 12 months on his contract left so he’s in the same position as Lacazette but we have no chance of finding a taker for him.

If Lacazette goes he’s going to miss Scott’s in Mayfair where I’ve seen him twice.

Post #479369  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I didn’t pay anything

Post #479370  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:06 am 

Rich wrote:
White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

ltg? :12hello-bye:

Post #479371  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 am 

Elneny has had random decent/good game but nothing consistently enough to warrant a permanent position for our ambitions. Seems a decent guy but we need skill not a best mate.

Post #479372  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 am 

I don't a lot of stock in pre-season. I am happy to see the squad and certain players do well and its a good omen for the upcoming season but I adjust for the situation, preseason, often/usually against much weaker side who themselves are working out the kinks (waves at Ray Davies :42laughter: )

Post #479373  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 am 

I do see a lot of value in players who were underperforming (Willian, and a couple others) who are playing well in preseason. I am not as concerned if Smith Rowe or Saka have less than ideal games. I would expect them to do what they have been doing in the season proper.

Post #479374  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 am 

Dusty Hill, bearded bassist of blues trio ZZ Top, dies at age 72

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/ ... /100332334

Awful news - Great band. :20hospitals:

Post #479375  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am 

Post #479376  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:05 am 

Years ago a major razor company in the states offered him an incredible amount of money to shave it off in an advert.

"Sharp Dressed Man" was one of my faves when I first started working and had to wear a tie.

Post #479377  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thank you so much! :53big-emoticons:

Post #479378  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thanks Warrior, you are pure gold.

and before you ask......no, this does not entitle you to yet another pay rise!

Post #479379  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 am 

Rog, How the heck are you coping with lockdown? I see that it’s been extended for another four weeks. :icon_eek1:

Post #479380  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am 

So, a question for the forum.....2 options:

1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

Post #479381  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am 

socrates wrote:

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

Hi Soc,

Option 2 for me without a doubt. Two young players with lots of potential. Maddison is good but €70m is too much. That is close to what Man U are paying for Sancho. If it was Tielemans, that would be a different story.

Post #479382  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 pm 

This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

Post #479383  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm 

Cam across this on twitter of all the assists Tierney could have had with better finishing from others. Not all easy but there are some in here that are on a plate

Post #479384  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:37 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.

Post #479385  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm 

socrates wrote:

Definitely number 2 for me as well. I rate Odegaards potential higher than Maddisons, even though Maddison is a very good player. Don't see him hitting another level compared to now, which is very good but not elite. For the price quoted we need to get elite potential at least.

Post #479386  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm 

socrates wrote:

Maddison for £70m or both Ødegaard and Aouar for a combined £60m? To be honest I don’t think it is a difficult one. It’s option 2 by a comfortable margin in my view. Talk of £70m for Maddison might even be madder than £50m for White.

Post #479387  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm 

socrates wrote:

The question almost answers itself: option 2. However, my caveat with option 2 is Ødegaard seems the type that will want out to a "big" club if he has a great season.

He didn't show much interest in staying despite getting way more playing time than he would at RM. He fancies himself good enough for RM. Fair enough, he is talented. Let's face the facts. It's very unlikely he'll get much playing time there. RM bought a young gem who didn't come as good as they expected.

Also, would he start ahead of Aouar? Or would they play together? (trying to figure out that set up if so). I dont' see Ødegaard buying into our project. I don't know enough about Aouar to suggest one way or the other.

Post #479388  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 pm 

socrates wrote:

1 but there’s really not much in it.

No way will Madrid accept just 35 million for Ødegaard and likewise Lyon 25 for Aour

Out of the 3 players mentioned Maddison is the probably the most ready to compete at the level we need right now and has played in the league and wouldn’t need much adaption. Also homegrown and would add to the comradeship within the squad with our growing collection of revolting Englishman

Btw Aour strikes me as a Nasri type who would ditch us at the first opportunity and his agent is his own brother who has a reputation as a troublemaker in France and was asking prospective clubs for a 20 million fee for his services alone nevermind the transfer fee

Post #479389  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm 

warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

Post #479390  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm 

Zed wrote:
warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

RIP. A really great band.

Post #479391  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
There are rumours Chelsea and Man City are in for him, and if that's true we don't have a chance I'd assume. But in general, I think people tend to underestimate just how big a draw the Premier League is. CL football is a draw too obviously, but Arsenal are still considered a big club. We managed to sign Partey after finishing 8th in the league, and he was a starter for an Atletico Madrid side that have challenged for, and won, big titles in recent seasons.

I think there is something going on with how Arteta and Edu are able to convince players of the 'project' we have here. Lokonga talked about buying in to it and being told we're building around younger players and giving them a platform. The Partey deal you mentioned really shouldn't have been able to be done considering his status and our immediate position at the time. Also convincing Smith-Rowe, Tierney, Saka and Balogun to all sign long term deals with the club.
Of course, money talks and I'm sure all these players are being richly rewarded for committing to us but you would like to think there is still something big about the Arsenal name. Two 8th placed finishes, but the stadium and fan base is still huge and we still have won trophies even in our lowest moments.

Arteta securing a build up of high maintenance players overtime possibly. Quality players for future attractive sell on or loan value buys when contracts end and/or not renewed. Player decides to move on. No guarantee getting into CL or even EL end of next season irregardless. Would have to be a very plausible attractive project sell with highly redeeming goals and direction obviously.

Post #479392  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm 

Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

Post #479393  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Fabrizio Romano tweeting that Ben White is a done deal 100%.

Interesting that he apparently had his medical yesterday, the transfer fee has allegedly been agreed between the two clubs, and the terms of the contract has supposedly been agreed between Arsenal and White. I was expecting the deal to be confirmed on Arsenal.com today, but it’s now the evening and it hasn’t been.

I’ve not even heard the expert on what’s happening later the same day Ornstein saying it’s happening today. Wonder what the delay was?

Post #479394  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm 

Talk that Arsenal really do want Ramsdale and will go back with a 3rd bid in the region of £25m. It is supposedly our GK coach who is really pushing for this - assume the same coach who recommended Runnarsson!

Of all the links to players and prices we've heard this summer this is the one I really struggle to get my head around. No club spend £20m+ on a back up GK. They might buy a £20m GK and decide to upgrade with another expensive GK but you don't spend that on a back up so he must be being bought in to be first choice if not now then very soon.

Sometimes I think the homegrown status is given too much weight. Would we be going for Ramsdale if he was Spanish and just got relegated from La Liga? I know we need to fill the 8 home grown spots in the squad - Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Holding, White, Chambers, Balogun, Azeez, Okonkwo and I think Saliba and Martinelli would count when they are 21. and that is even if we sell all of Bellerin, Nkeitah, Nelson, Willock, AMN.

Look at some of the signings the top clubs have made for the GK position in recent years, Man U just signed Tom Heaton, Spurs signed Joe Hart, City signed Scott Carson, Chelsea have just signed Marcus Bettinelli - all of them home grown and none of them really top class, but all experienced and can fill a spot in the squad that wont get much playing time.

There will be english experienced GK who can come in a do a job and not take up valuable funds.

Post #479395  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:36 pm 

I completely agree with you, Rich. We all remember how Almunia weakened the side. Keeper is such an important position that you just can't mess around with it. For the money being quoted, you would think Leno is on the way out and Ramsdale will be No.1. If he is being brought in as a No.2 it's a stupid extravagance.

Post #479396  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Sometimes I think the homegrown status is given too much weight. Would we be going for Ramsdale if he was Spanish and just got relegated from La Liga? I know we need to fill the 8 home grown spots in the squad - Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Holding, White, Chambers, Balogun, Azeez, Okonkwo and I think Saliba and Martinelli would count when they are 21. and that is even if we sell all of Bellerin, Nkeitah, Nelson, Willock, AMN.

The thing is we don't really need homegrown players right now. Looking at the first team squad on arsenal.com we have precisely 17 that are non-homegrown, which is the maximum you're allowed to have. And that includes Runarsson, Kolasinac, Willian, Torreira and Xhaka, who are all rumoured to be leaving. Even if we only sell or loan out two of them, that would still leave room for two signings that are not homegrown - a central midfielder and a creative midfielder for example.

With regards to Ramsdale, it's hard to know how to judge him. He didn't seem to have a good season at Sheffield United, but that being said it's hard to know how to assess a goalkeeper's performance in such a poor team. The Sheffield fans seem to really rate him, and by all accounts he had a great season for Bournemouth in 19/20. He's still just 23 too, which is no age for a keeper. It's the fee that boggles the mind. Only thing I can make out of it is that we have a lot more money available than most thought going into the summer, because I can't see us signing Ramsdale and then not afford the central midfielder we need.

Post #479397  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

That got me thinking, and Mertesacker might be the most underrated Arsenal player during my time following the club. He divided opinion among Arsenal fan, and never seemed to get any credit from outside the club, but he was a great defender in my book. Not world class, but a true leader at the back, with that rare ability to make the whole defense better, raising the performance of every centre back he was paired with. Mertesacker in his peak would go straight into our current starting eleven in my opinion, and I'd have him over someone like Harry Maguire any day of the week.

There are a few other candidates for the title of most underrated Arsenal player since the mid-90's. Petit was probably underrated outside of Arsenal during his time here, but in retrospect I feel he now gets the credit he deserves from pundits and fans of other teams. I feel like Ramsey was always underrated by our own fans. Nacho Monreal had a few seasons where he flew under the radar as one of the leagues most solid full backs.

Who is the most underrated Arsenal player you've seen?

Paul Davis, Steve Williams, Anders Limpar in no particular order

I agree with Top Gun that Steve Williams and Pail Davis were underrated. But I’m not sure Anders Limpar was. He was a top player, but the impression I always got is that he was widely considered as exactly that. All three of Williams, Davis and Limpar were high quality players. I’m not sure Williams and Davis were perceived as good as they were. That makes them underrated. But I’d say Limpar was perceived as top quality, so I’ve never seen him as underrated.

I completely agree with Hazuki that Per Mertesacker was grossly underrated. Nacho Monreal was as well.

Post #479398  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:29 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.

Amazing story. I was wondering why it was in an American soccer site until I read the story. He may have been in my neck of the woods (Philly).

As for underrated players, I thought Giroud was under appreciated if not underrated. I think Kols is underrated to some degree. Perhaps the most underrated for me in my time as a fan may have been Edu, when he got a game he looked very good.

Post #479399  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

I didn't know who he was. Not bad from the usually biased youtube videos.

Post #479400  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm 

Rich wrote:

It always strikes me as funny how strong opinions some have about players. I've seen som rubbish these links, saying Guimaraes isn't that good etc. Apart from the fact that I doubt many Arsenal fans watch Lyon regularly, he's a 23 year old player who has one season in France since coming over from the Brazilian league, not sure how anyone can definitely say he won't be good enough.

Profile wise he looks like exactly what we need to me, said to be good defensively but also gifted with the ball and able to beat the press and go past players in midfield. Perfect age too.

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11982, 11983, 11984, 11985, 11986, 11987, 11988 ... 12974  Next