Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Decaf, Lincoln gooner and 67 guests

Post #350641  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Fabrizio Romano tweeting that Ben White is a done deal 100%.

Has Ornstein? If not, perhaps it’ll be confirmed on Arsenal.com tomorrow as he normally gets things right on the day.

Nothing from Ornstein thus far Bernard.

Post #350642  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm 

warrior wrote:
I don't want to jinx it but we may have come away from that server move unscathed. :58big-emoticons:

Attachments:

Post #350643  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:31 pm 

Not totally sure but I think Arsenal beat Watford 4-1 earlier today. Seen lots of snippets of info but can't actually find out if that's what the final score was.
Seems like our goalscorers were Nketiah, Lacazette(pen), Tierney and Azeez

From what I can gather from those who have watched all pre-season games the feeling is Partey is ready to step up responsibility and have a monster season, Lokonga looks really good and dynamic always looking to move the ball forward, Tavares physically good but raw and can make mistakes, Nelson not looking as sharp as he should if he wants a move and Lacazette looking good.....oh and Azeez might just be ready to help the first team (seems to have put on muscle and developed physically over the summer)

Post #350644  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not totally sure but I think Arsenal beat Watford 4-1 earlier today. Seen lots of snippets of info but can't actually find out if that's what the final score was.

From what I can gather from those who have watched all pre-season games the feeling is Partey is ready to step up responsibility and have a monster season, Lokonga looks really good and dynamic always looking to move the ball forward, Tavares physically good but raw and can make mistakes, Nelson not looking as sharp as he should if he wants a move and Lacazette looking good.....oh and Azeez might just be ready to help the first team (seems to have put on muscle and developed physically over the summer)

Report on Arsenal app.

Never thought that I’d read these words:

It was a fast start by Mikel Arteta's side, too, who stormed into an early lead thanks to Willian's vision and the individual brilliance of Nketiah. :icon_exclaim1:

Post #350645  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:45 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Post #350646  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

I saw the game (it was free on arsenal.com) and it was indeed 4-1. Pre-season not much to go on obviously, but well taken goals from Nketiah and Azeez (with his left foot). Pretty slow first half, we got better in the second as we subbed on better players. Partey didn't have to try very hard to be head and shoulders above any other midfielder on the pitch. Pépé looks like he wants to start the season roaring. Smith-Rowe was behind a lot of good stuff when he came on. Lokonga looks talented, athletic and assured on the ball, hit a couple of nice passes.

Post #350647  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm 

Here's the goal from Azeez. Would love to see more of him this coming season, hoping he gets to start a few cup games at least.

Post #350648  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Gives us options at CB, RB and DM. Delighted with this signing.

Post #350649  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm 

Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Post #350650  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
But Kronke is getting a good return on his investment by just sitting back and doing nothing. He’s got plenty of other business and sports interests so perhaps he sees Arsenal as the steady one that ticks over, why go for even more riches when it could also mean losing.

As you say, he's getting a very good return.
However, I also see fans writing about him head scratching why he doesn't do this or that for the club. He doesn't care. We are no different than owning Google stock. His priority are the Los Angeles Rams. Interestingly enough we are the only asset he has with global recognition. I assume its one of the selling points Dein told him when he talked him into investing in us.

We may have spent a decent amount of money but its not from Kroenke dipping into his pocket. Its internally generated from what I understand. I could be wrong but its what I understand.

Furthermore, his sporting assets have been hit hard by Covid19 restrictions. The NFL took out a massive loan and as one of the team owners he's partially responsible to help pay it off. America, and California specifically have been woeful in handling Covid19 and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer than expected to get fans back to the stadium. The Delta variant may hinder fans returning in England.

Bottomline is Kroenke is under some financial pressure. I am hoping someone has told him that he needs to focus on getting us back in the CL for financial reasons and that may loosen the purse strings a little. Spend to get more in the long run.

Anyway, since when he first bought into us, he's got a good return considering.

Post #350651  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Ask, maybe. But not make.

Post #350652  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Good spot. It is Azeez. Legs of oak.

He’s got a great shot from distance - no wonder looking at those tanks holding him up. I’d put him just behind Lokonga then in getting some minutes this season. I wish if only for the sake of players like him, Willock Balogun and Martinelli we were in the Europa. Players who seem good enough for some minutes but I can’t see really apart from injuries where they might get them.

Since no one else is going to give me credit might as well toot the old horn myself. Called it! :emoticon_mClapp:

Post #350653  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm 

Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

Post #350654  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

warrior wrote:
I've just optimised the PHP tables. I believe things should be faster now.

Rog ...

Thanks for all you continue to do Rog.

Very much appreciated.

Post #350655  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

.. also he’s only got 12 months on his contract left so he’s in the same position as Lacazette but we have no chance of finding a taker for him.

If Lacazette goes he’s going to miss Scott’s in Mayfair where I’ve seen him twice.

Post #350656  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I didn’t pay anything

Post #350657  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:06 am 

Rich wrote:

ltg? :12hello-bye:

Post #350658  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 am 

Elneny has had random decent/good game but nothing consistently enough to warrant a permanent position for our ambitions. Seems a decent guy but we need skill not a best mate.

Post #350659  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 am 

I don't a lot of stock in pre-season. I am happy to see the squad and certain players do well and its a good omen for the upcoming season but I adjust for the situation, preseason, often/usually against much weaker side who themselves are working out the kinks (waves at Ray Davies :42laughter: )

Post #350660  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 am 

I do see a lot of value in players who were underperforming (Willian, and a couple others) who are playing well in preseason. I am not as concerned if Smith Rowe or Saka have less than ideal games. I would expect them to do what they have been doing in the season proper.

Post #350661  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 am 

Dusty Hill, bearded bassist of blues trio ZZ Top, dies at age 72

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/ ... /100332334

Awful news - Great band. :20hospitals:

Post #350662  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am 

Post #350663  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:05 am 

Years ago a major razor company in the states offered him an incredible amount of money to shave it off in an advert.

"Sharp Dressed Man" was one of my faves when I first started working and had to wear a tie.

Post #350664  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thank you so much! :53big-emoticons:

Post #350665  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thanks Warrior, you are pure gold.

and before you ask......no, this does not entitle you to yet another pay rise!

Post #350666  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 am 

Rog, How the heck are you coping with lockdown? I see that it’s been extended for another four weeks. :icon_eek1:

Post #350667  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am 

So, a question for the forum.....2 options:

1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

Post #350668  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 am 

socrates wrote:

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

Hi Soc,

Option 2 for me without a doubt. Two young players with lots of potential. Maddison is good but €70m is too much. That is close to what Man U are paying for Sancho. If it was Tielemans, that would be a different story.

Post #350669  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 pm 

This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

Post #350670  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm 

Cam across this on twitter of all the assists Tierney could have had with better finishing from others. Not all easy but there are some in here that are on a plate

Post #350671  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:37 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.

Post #350672  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm 

socrates wrote:

Definitely number 2 for me as well. I rate Odegaards potential higher than Maddisons, even though Maddison is a very good player. Don't see him hitting another level compared to now, which is very good but not elite. For the price quoted we need to get elite potential at least.

Post #350673  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm 

socrates wrote:

Maddison for £70m or both Ødegaard and Aouar for a combined £60m? To be honest I don’t think it is a difficult one. It’s option 2 by a comfortable margin in my view. Talk of £70m for Maddison might even be madder than £50m for White.

Post #350674  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm 

socrates wrote:

The question almost answers itself: option 2. However, my caveat with option 2 is Ødegaard seems the type that will want out to a "big" club if he has a great season.

He didn't show much interest in staying despite getting way more playing time than he would at RM. He fancies himself good enough for RM. Fair enough, he is talented. Let's face the facts. It's very unlikely he'll get much playing time there. RM bought a young gem who didn't come as good as they expected.

Also, would he start ahead of Aouar? Or would they play together? (trying to figure out that set up if so). I dont' see Ødegaard buying into our project. I don't know enough about Aouar to suggest one way or the other.

Post #350675  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 pm 

socrates wrote:

1 but there’s really not much in it.

No way will Madrid accept just 35 million for Ødegaard and likewise Lyon 25 for Aour

Out of the 3 players mentioned Maddison is the probably the most ready to compete at the level we need right now and has played in the league and wouldn’t need much adaption. Also homegrown and would add to the comradeship within the squad with our growing collection of revolting Englishman

Btw Aour strikes me as a Nasri type who would ditch us at the first opportunity and his agent is his own brother who has a reputation as a troublemaker in France and was asking prospective clubs for a 20 million fee for his services alone nevermind the transfer fee

Post #350676  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm 

warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

Post #350677  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm 

Zed wrote:
warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

RIP. A really great band.

Post #350678  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
There are rumours Chelsea and Man City are in for him, and if that's true we don't have a chance I'd assume. But in general, I think people tend to underestimate just how big a draw the Premier League is. CL football is a draw too obviously, but Arsenal are still considered a big club. We managed to sign Partey after finishing 8th in the league, and he was a starter for an Atletico Madrid side that have challenged for, and won, big titles in recent seasons.

I think there is something going on with how Arteta and Edu are able to convince players of the 'project' we have here. Lokonga talked about buying in to it and being told we're building around younger players and giving them a platform. The Partey deal you mentioned really shouldn't have been able to be done considering his status and our immediate position at the time. Also convincing Smith-Rowe, Tierney, Saka and Balogun to all sign long term deals with the club.
Of course, money talks and I'm sure all these players are being richly rewarded for committing to us but you would like to think there is still something big about the Arsenal name. Two 8th placed finishes, but the stadium and fan base is still huge and we still have won trophies even in our lowest moments.

Arteta securing a build up of high maintenance players overtime possibly. Quality players for future attractive sell on or loan value buys when contracts end and/or not renewed. Player decides to move on. No guarantee getting into CL or even EL end of next season irregardless. Would have to be a very plausible attractive project sell with highly redeeming goals and direction obviously.

Post #350679  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm 

Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

Post #350680  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Interesting that he apparently had his medical yesterday, the transfer fee has allegedly been agreed between the two clubs, and the terms of the contract has supposedly been agreed between Arsenal and White. I was expecting the deal to be confirmed on Arsenal.com today, but it’s now the evening and it hasn’t been.

I’ve not even heard the expert on what’s happening later the same day Ornstein saying it’s happening today. Wonder what the delay was?

[ 390242 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8764, 8765, 8766, 8767, 8768, 8769, 8770 ... 9757  Next