Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 277 guests

Post #535721  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
No confidence vote this evening. Can they stop britains nightmare continuing

I think he survives this vote, but regardless, he's finished. The booing of him at the Jubilee was unprecedented. Remember, the kind of people who attend these kind of events are generally pro-monarchy, tory voters. For him to have been booed like that indicates the game is well and truly up for him. Whatever happens, this is popcorn time.

Also, have you noticed how one or two tories are starting to break ranks on Brexit? I reckon we'll be looking at a Norway type scenario within a few years, which if you remember, was what was indicated would happen by many of the brexiteers pre-referendum.

*Cue, the forum UKIP member chirping up that it's all a remoaner plot.

Post #535722  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:01 am 

No idea how reliable the source is but I’ve read Partey has converted to Islam and changed his name to Yaqoub. Wonder if he’ll no longer have Thomas on his back, if it’s true?

Post #535723  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:16 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think he survives this vote, but regardless, he's finished. The booing of him at the Jubilee was unprecedented. Remember, the kind of people who attend these kind of events are generally pro-monarchy, tory voters. For him to have been booed like that indicates the game is well and truly up for him. Whatever happens, this is popcorn time.

Also, have you noticed how one or two tories are starting to break ranks on Brexit? I reckon we'll be looking at a Norway type scenario within a few years, which if you remember, was what was indicated would happen by many of the brexiteers pre-referendum.

*Cue, the forum UKIP member chirping up that it's all a remoaner plot.

I think he survives but what’s happening is crazy.

People are saying they would prefer him to continue as he would lose the next election. I’m not so sure, I think at this point Boris Johnson could personally poison the national water supply and gloat about it on TV and still the Tories would poll at 40%.

I noticed that Tobias Elwood (pretty much the only decent tory) broke ranks on brexit. What happens for brexit probably is determined by who Johnsons next replacement will be. If it’s one of his existing cabinet we are probably all screwed.

For sh/tz and giggles for some reason I used the search facility to read on here the comments on the day of the brexit vote result a few months back. Have a butchers. What everyone was saying on here has all come to pass especially Nialls astute comments about Ireland. Everyone knew.

Post #535724  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:33 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure, Darren. I think he'll brazen it out. It's what he does. Unless he loses the vote, he will not quit. Winning by one or two votes will represent vindication to him. Greased piglet. In his mind, he's immune to 'damage'.

Donald Trump's famous quote applies because it's how Boris sees himself:
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?"

Post #535725  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think he survives but what’s happening is crazy.

People are saying they would prefer him to continue as he would lose the next election. I’m not so sure, I think at this point Boris Johnson could personally poison the national water supply and gloat about it on TV and still the Tories would poll at 40%.

I noticed that Tobias Elwood (pretty much the only decent tory) broke ranks on brexit. What happens for brexit probably is determined by who Johnsons next replacement will be. If it’s one of his existing cabinet we are probably all screwed.

For sh/tz and giggles for some reason I used the search facility to read on here the comments on the day of the brexit vote result a few months back. Have a butchers. What everyone was saying on here has all come to pass especially Nialls astute comments about Ireland. Everyone knew.

Agree on the Irish question TG. It will come back to bite his (or his successor's) arse more savagely than partygate. What Boris signed us up for, to 'get brexit done' was - and remains - entirely undeliverable. It was bollocks. He and his advisors all knew it.

He lied.

Post #535726  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:43 am 

We're being linked with Gianluca Scamacca. Italian centre forward scor3ed 16 league goals for Sassuolo last year. Hes 6ft 5", but has pace and a lethal hard accurate strike of the ball (something we've missed for years!) He's good with his back to goal but technically very good as well 'for a big man'

Rumoured price £30-40m. I cant think of too many Italians who have done really well in England in recent times, but he's an interesting player and if the likes of £70m+ Abraham, Osimhen and Nunez are beyond us then this could be a shrewd signing

He also looks like a Bond villain!.....even his name 'Scamacca' wouldn't be out of place in a Bond film

Last edited by warrior on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube LInk

Post #535727  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am 

Anyone else having trouble renewing STs via the emailed link?

I've tried numerous times this morning and all goes well right up to the final keystroke when I get looped back to the start or timed out.

Post #535728  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:58 am 

Henry is irreplacable but we had some fine strikers since then. RvP was world class for his last season. Giroud was one of the league's best off the bench for a while. Sanchez was one of the best in the league for sure, but also in Europe prior to leaving for Man Utd. Aubameyang had a great season as well.

So, while we have the fondest of memories for Henry, we have seen some very good strikers come since him.

Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could. Still, we have had defensive central mids but I really would love to finally have someone in the middle of the pitch that bossed things. I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more. We have been linked to a couple players in the 'Vieira mode' and not just being tall, black and lanky...lol. They could be eskimo as far as I care, but just someone that reminded me of him.

Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.

Post #535729  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:24 pm 

DHD wrote:

I've tried numerous times this morning and all goes well right up to the final keystroke when I get looped back to the start or timed out.

Mine renewed fine. Just got to make sure you get it done in 7 minutes before it times out though.

Post #535730  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:04 pm 

Jesus and Tielemans are the two strongest links so far. You could make the argument that if Nketiah renews his contract that a different type of forward than Jesus would be of more use. Jesus in many ways is quite similar to Nketiah, albeit clearly a more established and accomplished player.

With Tielemans there are also links to Zinchenko who wants to play more games in midfield and would seem suited to the left 8 or left CM Arsenal have, particularly if the player playing in this left sided CM position is tasked with covering the left-back who is given licence to bomb on with our lop sided defensive formation.

Just food for thought as I think Jesus and Tielemans will both make good signings for the sorts of prices being thrown around. Add Zinchenko, Bissouma/Dacoure and a physical striker (Abraham, Osimhen, Scamacca) then you're really starting to talk about a squad that is looking without much weakness.

Post #535731  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Jesus and Tielemans are the two strongest links so far. You could make the argument that if Nketiah renews his contract that a different type of forward than Jesus would be of more use. Jesus in many ways is quite similar to Nketiah, albeit clearly a more established and accomplished player.

With Tielemans there are also links to Zinchenko who wants to play more games in midfield and would seem suited to the left 8 or left CM Arsenal have, particularly if the player playing in this left sided CM position is tasked with covering the left-back who is given licence to bomb on with our lop sided defensive formation.

Just food for thought as I think Jesus and Tielemans will both make good signings for the sorts of prices being thrown around. Add Zinchenko, Bissouma/Dacoure and a physical striker (Abraham, Osimhen, Scamacca) then you're really starting to talk about a squad that is looking without much weakness.

I agree, but that's a minimum £175m spend. Much more if we were to target Abraham or Osimhem instead of Scamacca.

Post #535732  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
No idea how reliable the source is but I’ve read Partey has converted to Islam and changed his name to Yaqoub. Wonder if he’ll no longer have Thomas on his back, if it’s true?

Partey has converted to Islam.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2022/0 ... s-to-islam

Post #535733  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:53 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree, but that's a minimum £175m spend. Much more if we were to target Abraham or Osimhem instead of Scamacca.

Indeed - which we'd only be able to think about doing with some serious offset from sales which looks highly challenging. We seemingly already have about £16m for Guendouzi and Mavropanos. Can we get £10m for each of Leno, AMN, Torreira and Bellerin? £5m for Mari and Nelson? and £20m for Pépé!?......I don't think those figures are inflated and it would bring £86m in sales. But we already know that even the interested clubs in these players are trying to drive down the price and/or struggling to pay even a fair price

Post #535734  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
We're being linked with Gianluca Scamacca. Italian centre forward scor3ed 16 league goals for Sassuolo last year. Hes 6ft 5", but has pace and a lethal hard accurate strike of the ball (something we've missed for years!) He's good with his back to goal but technically very good as well 'for a big man'

Rumoured price £30-40m. I cant think of too many Italians who have done really well in England in recent times, but he's an interesting player and if the likes of £70m+ Abraham, Osimhen and Nunez are beyond us then this could be a shrewd signing

He also looks like a Bond villain!.....even his name 'Scamacca' wouldn't be out of place in a Bond film

I have seen the rumours as well. It may be as you say the price tags for others are out of our range. Italians tend to want to stay in Italy by and large. Can't remember an Italian striker doing well since Zolla.

Post #535735  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:12 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could...I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more...Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.
Truth is Paddy was a one-off - a wonderful combination of defensive and attacking attributes which made him dominant for so long. Even the similarly gifted greats like Keane, Seedorf and Schweinsteiger were in his shadow. He was irreplaceable, and as you say we have yet to see anybody in our shirt who comes near to him. There have been some top creative guys since Paddy left - e.g. Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri and Wilshere - but nobody with his all-round game.

Post #535736  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...Not the same luck with the middle. Vieira was immense and we've never really had a central midfield bully that has come close, if anyone can or could...I was hoping Partey would do more of that. He's a fine player but I've said I expected more...Flamini, Torriera and maybe one or two others had a bit of bulldog about them in the middle but not dominant. We've had dominant strikers (Sanchez, Aubameyang, RvP) for a time, but midfield? That's a subjective opinion I guess and maybe there are some stats to make it more objective. I didn't 'feel' like we had any.
Truth is Paddy was a one-off - a wonderful combination of defensive and attacking attributes which made him dominant for so long. Even the similarly gifted greats like Keane, Seedorf and Schweinsteiger were in his shadow. He was irreplaceable, and as you say we have yet to see anybody in our shirt who comes near to him. There have been some top creative guys since Paddy left - e.g. Fabregas, Rosicky, Nasri and Wilshere - but nobody with his all-round game.

Though your judgement is sometimes in question these days, Old Man - “Unless weather helps, England to get mullered in the current match I fear” - you do still have your moments.

SPOT BLEEDING ON in regard to Paddy.

This is tricky (and it changes) but my current position is that Cesc is the best creative midfielder I’ve ever seen - anywhere - and Thierry is the most exciting and skilful attacking player I’ve ever seen watching football. However I have Paddy as the best player I’ve ever seen, full stop. In his pomp and before he was hobbled by vicious, partial and predatory refereeing, he was a one-man midfield. He was an utter colossus.

For me, it’s truly remarkable that all three played for my team in my time. How lucky am I? And even more remarkably, I haven’t mentioned Dennis.

Post #535737  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:25 pm 

True, Paddy is a one off. Not asking for his twin but someone who can dominate the middle for us when needed. Other sides have dominant center mids. Why can't we? :58big-emoticons: Again, not asking Paddy II but just someone in the middle that can dominate at times. Is that asking for too much?

Post #535738  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:29 pm 

Wins no confidence

Attachments:

Post #535739  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:37 pm 

There is a report that Man City are offering Jesus to Ath Madrid and Real Madrid as well as us. But RM have to get rid of a foreign player or get him citizenship.

Post #535740  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 am 

DHD wrote:

I did mine by phone. Think it was Saturday. Much easier in my view.

Post #535741  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:51 am 

DHD wrote:
This is tricky (and it changes) but my current position is that Cesc is the best creative midfielder I’ve ever seen - anywhere - and Thierry is the most exciting and skilful attacking player I’ve ever seen watching football. However I have Paddy as the best player I’ve ever seen, full stop. In his pomp and before he was hobbled by vicious, partial and predatory refereeing, he was a one-man midfield. He was an utter colossus.

For me, it’s truly remarkable that all three played for my team in my time. How lucky am I? And even more remarkably, I haven’t mentioned Dennis.

Fabregas the best creative midfielder you’ve seen? Good Lord DHD. He’s not even as good as Brady who could run with the ball. Hudson at his best (which was rare at Arsenal, I admit) was better. Other clubs? Give me Hoddle at his best any day of the week. What about Platini and Zidane?

Vieira is overall the best all round midfielder I’ve seen at Arsenal. Counting other clubs, perhaps second to the more skilful Lothar Mattheus. Vieira didn’t have the technical brilliance of some, but combined fine technique with tremendous ball winning and physical dominance.

However, I do remember the much missed Fish Bar saying of Vieira that while she saw him as a great Arsenal player, she never considered him a true Arsenal man. I think his annual flirting with Real Madrid urinated her off a bit (she used a word beginning with a ‘p’, then an ‘i’, then double ‘s’ so ‘ss’, then an ‘e’ and lastly a ‘d’). But that would be edited out with the forum rules.

I consider Henry the best Arsenal player I’ve seen. It’s a statistic everyone knows, but more goals than Wright and more assists than Bergkamp.

Post #535742  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:26 am 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Though your judgement is sometimes in question these days, Old Man - “Unless weather helps, England to get mullered in the current match I fear” - you do still have your moments.

I'll add on to this after some thought. In LA at the pub, a common argument/debate between gooners and manc supporters was the Cantona vs Bergkamp debate. I always maintained, Dennis could do everything Cantona could if we leave out pace. But Cantona couldn't do everything Bergkamp could do.

I always argued with them that Berkgamp could score any type of goal Cantona could including the one he was most famous for when he did the Caesar after the Gallic Wars imperious look. Could Cantona score the Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle? Or even have the balls to try it?

Bergkamp is the best passing striker I've ever seen and Henry would be in my top 3 to 5 best passing strikers with his assists to support that.

Fabregas had vision of the entire pitch. No matter what side he played on (Arsenal, Barca, Chelsea, Monaco) he was able to immediately make the right pass when he was on the pitch. He made it seemed like he had playing history with each side's point man.

I recall when he was on Chelsea under Mourinho in one of his first few games he did a flick on that I didn't see coming and Mourinho said that pass was why they bought him.

Iniesta may have a thing or two say about that but I don't think we realize just how special Fabregas was because he was among very great players. His last few years he was arguably the main if not the only reason we were in the CL.

He said he looked around and realized RvP was the only class player we had (and RvP was injured a lot then) and knew for the forseeable future we would struggle, so he left.

Going back to Paddy, I think with him leading the team out, it gave the rest of the squad the assurance mentally they would not be bullied. I think he was the main reason we thought we could go to Old Trafford and have the audacity to bully RVN after that missed kick.

I have never seen any team go to Old Trafford and not give a f***. A team that had no issue with a melee. Before my time maybe the '91 Arsenal side had that (because they had a melee). I don't know, I wasn't a fan at that time. Maybe some of the great Liverpool sides of the '70s and '80s did. Or maybe the old Revie Leeds sides did. I don't know, only you all can attest to that. I only know what I saw.

I do know this, then as well as in hindsight, the referees had something against him. No one will ever be able to convince me otherwise. And had he been treated fairly by them, who knows how much more he could have done. He'd certainly play with much more freedom.

Lastly, I think had he not gotten injured, Diaby would have made us think he was a poor man's version of Paddy. Not nearly as good defensively (but who is?) and perhaps a bit better going forward. Diaby's early games before injury I was salivating at how good he could be. It really is a same. Also, had RvP been far less injury prone. I have liked him from his Eredivisie days. I always thought he was going to be a monster.

The ones who left too soon for the money: Nasri, Adebayor, Sanchez...ah..what ifs.

Post #535743  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:39 am 

At the pub in LA. The one time a player scared the shaving cream out of me on his debut was Cristiano. We (gooners) all looked at each other like WTF?! We knew he was going to be very special. It was obvious.

Conversely, when Fabregas played in that Community Shield for his debut, I recall specificly the Man Utd fans looking in awe and one of them saying 'Where the f*** does Wenger find these kids.' And them asking us where he came from. We answered we were very well aware of him.

I don't think for one second Fabregas was an unknown commodity. He was tearing up the reserves so certainly those that follow English football closely at the youth level were fuily aware of him. Same with Rooney. Anyway, we had a sense of pride that day as gooners.

Post #535744  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:15 am 

DHD wrote:

Am still amazed England won that Test. As ever the bowlers peerformed well, and like Paddy, Root was in a class of his own. He took us to victory, helped by the gumption of Foakes. Otherwise England so wobbly with the bat. The Kiwis must be wondering how they never achieved what would have been a stunning turn around. On to Trent Bridge where England often do well.

Totally agree about the incredible fortune of seeing that incomparable Arsenal team - for a few years the almost perfect side, even when we weren't winning the league. Mee's double team will always hold the most emotional place in my heart, but Arsene's early sides were magnificent.

Post #535745  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:12 am 

When we open the book on great midfielders it has many pages! The reason I love Vieira so much is that he came to us as an unknown and immediately took the team to a higher level. Remarkable really because he was just a young guy, yet his on-field leadership was evident straightaway. His debut, under lights at Highbury, was thrilling - the way he glided past opponents drawing comparison with Rocky at his best - smiles on every Arsenal face. Then he went from strength to strength - needed no settling in period, just a duck to water. Energy and committment even beyond Talbot - and as aggressive as Storey. He could be delicate too - how many times did we see that clever move in the centre circle where he would fool his marker and set up an attack? And a hell of a shot - the one off the bar against United to beat Schmeichel was wonderful.

Post #535746  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Fabregas the best creative midfielder you’ve seen? Good Lord DHD. He’s not even as good as Brady who could run with the ball. Hudson at his best (which was rare at Arsenal, I admit) was better. Other clubs? Give me Hoddle at his best any day of the week. What about Platini and Zidane?

My 2 pennies as it’s an interesting debate. I think you need to take zidane and platini and put them in a special category as they are number 10s and given absolutely free reign to do what they wanted on a football pitch Otherwise you need to include Dennis as well and it gets a bit messy.

If you are therefore classing cesc as a midfielder therefore then I’m with DHD on this and Cesc has a legitimate claim to be the best creative midfield player I’ve seen too. No midfielder I’ve seen has his weight of pass and vision from anywhere on the pitch, he had eyes in the back of his head and could find passes that simply didn’t exist for other players. 125 career goals from midfield and 214 assists (better than Gerrard and Lampard)

It was one of Arsenes biggest mistakes not resigning him and I think if we had our trophy haul could have looked differently. I watched him play for Chelsea and he looked no different to his time with us playing give and go football and his teammates always looking to him for the key pass.

Honestly I think his contribution to football has been overshadowed because the made the mistake of going to Barca to play second fiddle to xavi and iniesta. If not for that he would be more highly regarded. He may not admit it but when he looks back on his career he will privately acknowledge this.

Oh and of *%^@*** course he’s better than Glenda ! Lord have mercy. Wash your mouth out and get in the bin please. Thanks

Post #535747  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Mine renewed fine. Just got to make sure you get it done in 7 minutes before it times out though.

Turns out my Bank was the issue. My card was being declined - who knew? I've been away for a while and they must've become wary of unusual spending patterns.

An hour or two trying via the website. 75 minutes on the blower to the Box Office ("you are number 42 in the queue") confirmed what was the problem, then another 55 minutes to the Bank to sort it out. Everyone was v polite to me and it clearly wasn't their fault, but as the hours go by, you do feel like ripping their ears off. Not that I did, of course. Sweetness and light. Oh yes.

Post #535748  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:14 am 

However like I’ve said before. If Henry was making a run through and my life depended on a player successfully making that through pass to find him I’m asking Dennis to make that pass not Cesc.

Post #535749  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am 

For me, a major contributing factor to any measure of greatness is how often I've watched the player live. This adds much more weight to Cesc, Thierry and Paddy since they all played in the era when I was a 'home and away' obsessive. I saw almost all of the games they played for us.

I can't say that about Chippy Brady since I went to very few away games in those days; having said that, I used to believe he was the best I'd seen until the Wenger boys came along. I saw Platini once or twice but I don't think I ever saw Zidane, so they never really made an impact on me.

The exception to that rule was Maradona whom I saw live just once; that was enough.

Post #535750  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

My 2 pennies as it’s an interesting debate. I think you need to take zidane and platini and put them in a special category as they are number 10s and given absolutely free reign to do what they wanted on a football pitch Otherwise you need to include Dennis as well and it gets a bit messy.

If you are therefore classing cesc as a midfielder therefore then I’m with DHD on this and Cesc has a legitimate claim to be the best creative midfield player I’ve seen too. No midfielder I’ve seen has his weight of pass and vision from anywhere on the pitch, he had eyes in the back of his head and could find passes that simply didn’t exist for other players. 125 career goals from midfield and 214 assists (better than Gerrard and Lampard)

It was one of Arsenes biggest mistakes not resigning him and I think if we had our trophy haul could have looked differently. I watched him play for Chelsea and he looked no different to his time with us playing give and go football and his teammates always looking to him for the key pass.

Honestly I think his contribution to football has been overshadowed because the made the mistake of going to Barca to play second fiddle to xavi and iniesta. If not for that he would be more highly regarded. He may not admit it but when he looks back on his career he will privately acknowledge this.

Oh and of *%^@*** course he’s better than Glenda ! Lord have mercy. Wash your mouth out and get in the bin please. Thanks

You’re presumably a newbie and never saw Brady and Hudson at his best then. People moan about Xhaka’s lack of pace. Fabregas was obviously in a different class to him in everything but pace. Also Hoddle could do everything and more that Fabregas could. An utter genius. For me Tottenham’s most skilful player.

Where I think you’re right is the error Fabregas made in f*cking off to Barcelona where he was outshone by Iniesta and Xavi, neither of who I thought were as good as Matthaus.

Post #535751  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:56 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
When we open the book on great midfielders it has many pages! The reason I love Vieira so much is that he came to us as an unknown and immediately took the team to a higher level. Remarkable really because he was just a young guy, yet his on-field leadership was evident straightaway. His debut, under lights at Highbury, was thrilling - the way he glided past opponents drawing comparison with Rocky at his best - smiles on every Arsenal face. Then he went from strength to strength - needed no settling in period, just a duck to water. Energy and committment even beyond Talbot - and as aggressive as Storey. He could be delicate too - how many times did we see that clever move in the centre circle where he would fool his marker and set up an attack? And a hell of a shot - the one off the bar against United to beat Schmeichel was wonderful.

Glad you mentioned Vieira’s debut. Sheffield Wednesday wasn’t it? Did you see Brady’s against Birmingham? The two best debuts I’ve seen.

Post #535752  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 pm 

DHD wrote:
The exception to that rule was Maradona whom I saw live just once; that was enough.

Completely agree. Should have mentioned Maradona myself. The single greatest player I’ve seen.

Post #535753  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:16 pm 

One thing I think has to be mentioned when comparing players from different eras, as we have done with Brady and Fabregas, is the pitch quality. Players these days basically play on grass billiard tables. Highbury was often like a trench at the Somme when Brady and Hudson played on it. And there were worse than Highbury too.

Also, defenders now get booked for breathing heavily within three feet of an opponent. In the old days a defender could stab an opponent to death without even getting a talking to by the ref.

Playing football in modern times is way easier than it used to be in Brady and Hudson’s era.

Post #535754  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Playing football in modern times is way easier than it used to be in Brady and Hudson’s era.

Fair enough on the poor quality pitches and the homicidal defenders Bern, but the speed and intensity of the modern game more than balances that out. Cesc never enjoyed anything like the time and space given to Brady and Hudson. Whenever you see those games from the '70s and '80s, there's hardly any closing down and no pressing whatever.

I have no doubt Cesc would've shone back then. I'd be less confident that Brady and Hudson would cope with a Citeh-style press.

Post #535755  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:27 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Fair enough on the poor quality pitches and the homicidal defenders Bern, but the speed and intensity of the modern game more than balances that out. Cesc never enjoyed anything like the time and space given to Brady and Hudson. Whenever you see those games from the '70s and '80s, there's hardly any closing down and no pressing whatever.

I have no doubt Cesc would've shone back then. I'd be less confident that Brady and Hudson would cope with a Citeh-style press.

This is literally the point I was about to make. Henry and Walcott could run a 100metres in 11 seconds. Not even 2 full seconds slower than linford Christie’s best 100 metres.

Aubameyang was clocked at the first 30 metres or something faster than Usain Bolt did in a major race. Then bellerin recorded himself doing likewise.

Remember Henry’s goal v spurs. Literally ate up the whole Highbury pitch in a matter of seconds.

You are talking about physical specimens recruited from all over the world who are freaks of nature that just happen to be able to also control a ball as well.

Also diet. Chippy was called chippy for a reason and it wasn’t because of his love of broccoli

Post #535756  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The speed and intensity Brady and Hudson would have easily adapted to, they were that skilful they could not have shone in the modern game. I would say far better than Fabregas would have done on the pitches back then.

Top Gun mentioned Brady liking chips. I have no doubt the modern dietary regimes at top football clubs would have ensured that wouldn’t have been a problem in the modern game. Hudson was an alcoholic. Perhaps modern dietary regimes would have kept him off it?

Post #535757  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:40 pm 

I think AW was one of (if not) the first to break the accepted talent development strategy of spotting footballing talent and then getting them fit. Under AW the policy mutated to spotting the athletic talent and then honing their footballing skills. That’s a simplification but you see where I’m going.

Brady was a product of the old school development strategy. I watched him from his first games in the reserves and I sincerely believe he had the talent to survive in any era, but in purely physical terms, I think he, as he was then, would struggle today. All those players would.

This is the nonsense of comparing players of different eras.

Post #535758  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
I think AW was one of (if not) the first to break the accepted talent development strategy of spotting footballing talent and then getting them fit. Under AW the policy mutated to spotting the athletic talent and then honing their footballing skills. That’s a simplification but you see where I’m going.

Brady was a product of the old school development strategy. I watched him from his first games in the reserves and I sincerely believe he had the talent to survive in any era, but in purely physical terms, I think he, as he was then, would struggle today. All those players would.

Hi DHD. The thing is with modern dietary and fitness regimes, Brady would shine today despite liking chips. Chips wouldn’t have been his main foodstuff now, I’m sure of that. Similar in principle, Hudson was a confirmed alcoholic long before he joined Arsenal. I hope, and expect, his moves towards alcoholism would have been stopped long before he got there, at a modern top club. Even on the pitches back then, they had the ability to show their skill. Stick Fabregas on the 1970s mud heap that Highbury was in the winter and I suspect he’d find it harder to adapt than Brady and Hudson would now.

But I agree, it’s so difficult to compare players from different eras. That’s one of the reasons I hate the expression best player of all time. As well as the obvious difference in playing styles and fitness levels, how can any of us who didn’t see Alex James say how Brady and Fabregas compared to him?

Regarding alcoholic players, everyone know about Greaves, Best, Hudson and MacDonald in the 60s and 70s. More recently there’s been Gascoigne, Adams, Sansom and Merson who were well known. But they were still in the 80s and 90s, up to thirty years ago. Can anyone think of a top modern footballer who is a known alcoholic now? I genuinely think top clubs would sort it out better now than what happened in the past.

Post #535759  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm 

A story throwing doubt on the likelihood of Arsenal signing Jesus. Might be clickbait, as may the stories that we’ll sign him. I’ve seen links to so many players that I’ve lost count. My advice is wait until the end of the transfer window before assessing the squad. In my view that’s better than reacting to clickbait, 99% of which I reckon is nonsense.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #535760  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Regarding alcoholic players, everyone know about Greaves, Best, Hudson and MacDonald in the 60s and 70s. More recently there’s been Gascoigne, Adams, Sansom and Merson who were well known. But they were still in the 80s and 90s, up to thirty years ago. Can anyone think of a top modern footballer who is a known alcoholic now? I genuinely think top clubs would sort it out better now than what happened in the past.

Years back I met someone who had a stint in the priory rehab centre and whilst he was in he said an Arsenal player was in receiving treatment also for a problem relating to alcohol abuse.

I won’t name the player as it’s a totally unsubstantiated rumour and he could have got the players name wrong or something but the player is the last person you’d expect and his playing time crossed the Highbury emirates cross over period so prime wenger days.

I bet there’s a few but we don’t hear about it. That said I think the days of a player like Greavsie literally turning up to play for Barnet pissed are long gone.

[ 559787 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13391, 13392, 13393, 13394, 13395, 13396, 13397 ... 13995  Next