Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 272 guests

Post #535601  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:59 am 

https://twitter.com/goonertaik/status/1 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Gk punches White in the back from a corner, red card and penalty. Not reviewed. Maybe White should have gone down and rolled around to draw attention to it

Post #535602  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:27 am 

Each of the penalty claims we had yesterday, I think there were at least 4-5, you will have an ex-ref look at and say ‘not enough’ and they will be able to justify the subjective decision - which is fine as long as that consistency is applied everywhere, the problem is it isn’t, we are penalised for the smallest infringement that is let go all the time, we’re not given penalties that are given all the time.

We’re told about the high bar for var to intervene but yet that bar gets lowered when it can go against us and raised when it can go for us.

Post #535603  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:
That’s on you TG

Nah, never in doubt

2 ridiculous defensive lapses that’s all.

:1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter:
Were you in the loo a lot?

Post #535604  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:49 am 

azinoz wrote:
Judith wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all well and of course very happy with Arsenal's latest results!
Our Grandson ( Steve's Nephew ) is flying to London at this moment, he is an
Arsenal supporter ( of course ) and will go to a few games, in the old days there
used to be a meeting place for the Forumites, at the Emirates ground during/after
the games. Does that still exist? If it does, please let me know where it is?
He would like to meet and greet the people who share his uncle's Forum!
He is a 20 ( almost 21 ) year old very enthusiastic young man!
All the best to everyone,
Warm regards

Hi

I believe what you are asking for is the “101” bar located within the stadium where a few of the forum members gathered before and during the match but I have no idea if any of the current group of forum members continue with that practice. I’m sure someone out there would have more current knowledge about it. I’m pretty sure Bernard was a regular goer so someone must know.

Thanks - If anyone has any more info that would be great.

Post #535605  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:52 am 

Post #535606  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:55 am 

Rich wrote:
Each of the penalty claims we had yesterday, I think there were at least 4-5, you will have an ex-ref look at and say ‘not enough’ and they will be able to justify the subjective decision - which is fine as long as that consistency is applied everywhere, the problem is it isn’t, we are penalised for the smallest infringement that is let go all the time, we’re not given penalties that are given all the time.

We’re told about the high bar for var to intervene but yet that bar gets lowered when it can go against us and raised when it can go for us.

As you know, I'm not one to blame referees but VAR is now an absolute joke. At least one of the penalty claims should have been given and probably two or three of them. The one where the guy deflected the ball onto the post with his arm looked a nailed on to me.

Post #535607  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:58 am 

Last minute winners are joyous.

Merson totally shocked on SSN. Gary Lineker's video of Wrighty going mental. Brilliant stuff.

My son had a chemistry exam yesterday afternoon. About 1 minute after Nelson's goal my wife spotted him walking up the road coming home so I went outside, arms aloft. No reaction. He had his phone in his hand. A few seconds later he jumped in the air. He was listening to Livescore commentary which must have been a few minutes delayed. Absolutely priceless.

Post #535608  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:00 am 

I was at the match yesterday. Firstly, as the we enter the last quarter of the season and are still top of the league, I thought the mood at the stadium was quite tense. This was reflected in the atmosphere which wasnt bad given we were losing, but it lacked that noticeable noisy belief which has been a constant all season. The celebrations at the end were mental clearly fuelled by absolute relief and joy but lets hope all these last minute victories dont exhaust them.
As for the game, we completely dominated the match but we struggled to create good shooting opportuinites against a packed and well drilled defence. The days of Saka or Martinelli being 1 v 1 against a fullback seem to be long gone. High balls into the box seems a bit pointless with our collection of skillful, not very tall attacking players. I thought Smith Rowe struggled to make a difference (understandably give he's just returned), and Vieira who was involved but not quite at the elite level we need him to be. White and Nelson did improve us when they came on. Lets hope Trossard's injury isnt serious as he's looked very effective.
Lastly, the time wasting issue needs to be dealt with properly as its not fair on supporters. First half wasnt an issue, but 2nd half they started routinely taking the piss, which the referee seemed to be okay with. I think it has to be worth looking into an independent time keeper. I noticed some people had questioned the time of the winning goal, but it was fully deserved. When the board when up for injury time, one of their players decided to sit down on the pitch with a mystery ailment which took 1 minute to be dealt with, and by dealt I simply mean some Bournemouth medics ambled on to the pitch, chatted with him and then he gets up and the game restarts.
So one minute nof injury time was used up without the ball even being in play!

Post #535609  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:06 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/goonertaik/status/1632162146917163009?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

Gk punches White in the back from a corner, red card and penalty. Not reviewed. Maybe White should have gone down and rolled around to draw attention to it

Thats a bit mental. If they can notice Ben White carressing the goalkeepers arm last week surely someone in the VAR dungeon has to notice a punch to the neck?

Post #535610  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am 

Last minute winners are amazing aren't they, especially after going 2-0 down. The sheer euphoria, the exhileration. It's just crazy, spine tingling.

That said, there are only so many times you can concede such sloppy goals and come back and win.

In a title run-in you need to be watertight because the pressure to win is immense and goals are not easy to come by, even against the so called weaker sides and even more so when most teams we face play a low block, doubling up on our wingers.

The truth is that Bournemouth had 19% of the possession but still had 4 or 5 big chances and only a combination of a poor final ball, poor finishing and great goalkeeping kept them from adding to their tally.

You can't let the opposition have only 19% of the possession but still see them have enough clear-cut chances to score 4 or 5, that is simply unstainable.

The number of times teams have broken on us with 3 v 2's and 4 v 2's in recent games is a big worry. It feels like we are attacking with reckless abandon and at some point we will be punished. We got away with it yesterday but as Rich pointed out there are only so many times you can go to the well before it runs dry.

Gary Neville talked about it and I can see just how mentally and physically draining games like yesterday must be despite the euphoria of a last minute winner.

Post #535611  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
The time that is indicated on the board is the minimum, so there is no reason for anyone to feel aggrieved.

I wonder what the 'ball in play' stats were yesterday? Time wasting is a real blot on the game. We do it too, of course, but it certainly benefits weaker teams.

The sooner they implement something similar to the WC method of adding time, the better. Teams will still try to slow down the game but at least this deliberate 'taking minutes out of the game' will be eliminated'.

The thing I don’t understand with it is the reluctance to punish it with yellow cards. Obviously the time added on never equates to the time lost but equally the gk doesn’t have to rush and get the ball back in play as quickly as he can. However surely refs can see what’s happening, the laws not ‘delayed the restart of play’ as the first item in the list of cautionable offences. There is also a rule to allow a ref to caution a player for ‘persistent offending’. The problem we have is refs not seeing time wasting as a yellow card, and only using the persistent offending as the reason to yellow card them. It’s like being allowed to have 5 or 6 deliberate hand balls or professional fouls before actually being yellow carded.

This is copied from the laws of the game, have you ever seen any of these consistently given yellow cards?
Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
Delaying the restart of play
• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
• delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
• excessively delaying a restart
• kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by
deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
• taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

I don't think cards are the way to go here. Refs hate giving yellow cards for this sort of thing because they want games routinely ending with multiple dismissals.
So rather
1. If a keeper take too long, award an indirect free kick. Isn't that the rule anyway? Yellow cards are not the right punishment.
2. Have a timekeeper calculate the amount of extra time accurately and without discretion OR just stop the clock when the game stops, like in rugby, American football etc.

Post #535612  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:24 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/goonertaik/status/1632162146917163009?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

Thats a sending off anywhere else on the pitch. It's not like he was coming to punch the ball and mistimed it either.

I think the club needs to now go public with their grievances about VAR's incompetence. Compile a video compilation of all the poor decisions we've had to endure and send it to the FA with a strongly worded letter of complaint and leak it on twitter.

Post #535613  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:29 am 

Bored wrote:
I was at the match yesterday. Firstly, as the we enter the last quarter of the season and are still top of the league, I thought the mood at the stadium was quite tense. This was reflected in the atmosphere which wasnt bad given we were losing, but it lacked that noticeable noisy belief which has been a constant all season. The celebrations at the end were mental clearly fuelled by absolute relief and joy but lets hope all these last minute victories dont exhaust them.

I’ve attended all recent home games and was there yesterday and the atmosphere has changed, lots of noise but it’s tense now as we are in a bonafide title race and every point matters. Who would have thought it.

On time wasting yes it’s utterly absurd now and anyone who attends emirates comments on the opposition wasting time. Most refs are entirely impotent to it and the head injury rule needs to be changed. Every time a good break happens a time wasting side now uses it then you see the opposing player back on his feet and right as rain. It’s such an obvious theme now it’s boring

Post #535614  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:42 am 

Drink it in

https://youtu.be/rebqUiE3xI8

Post #535615  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 am 

The only negative yesterday aside from the Trossard injury was the Arsenal DJ playing Sweet Caroline at the end of the game. Its not classy or imaginative. Bit like playing Aga Doo or YMCA at a wedding.

Post #535616  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 am 

Reiss nelson has his contract expiry this summer. Certainly showed yesterday and earlier this season he’s improved. That might be a dilemma for the club. He’s probably better than the number of minutes he’s getting

Post #535617  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Last minute winners are amazing aren't they, especially after going 2-0 down. The sheer euphoria, the exhileration. It's just crazy, spine tingling.

That said, there are only so many times you can concede such sloppy goals and come back and win.

In a title run-in you need to be watertight because the pressure to win is immense and goals are not easy to come by, even against the so called weaker sides and even more so when most teams we face play a low block, doubling up on our wingers.

The truth is that Bournemouth had 19% of the possession but still had 4 or 5 big chances and only a combination of a poor final ball, poor finishing and great goalkeeping kept them from adding to their tally.

You can't let the opposition have only 19% of the possession but still see them have enough clear-cut chances to score 4 or 5, that is simply unstainable.

The number of times teams have broken on us with 3 v 2's and 4 v 2's in recent games is a big worry. It feels like we are attacking with reckless abandon and at some point we will be punished. We got away with it yesterday but as Rich pointed out there are only so many times you can go to the well before it runs dry.

Gary Neville talked about it and I can see just how mentally and physically draining games like yesterday must be despite the euphoria of a last minute winner.

The other side of that 81% possession is it illustrates how much we struggle to create big chances. So many blocked shots and harmless floaty crosses.

Nelson was pinging them in hard, both along the ground and in the air (as with Whites goal)--I think that is a very good tactic against a team that is mopping up everything in the air and closing down the shooting and passing channels.

Post #535618  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:02 am 

Look at this guy taking all the credit - He wasn't even on the pitch !

:12hello-bye:

Post #535619  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:03 am 

Its possible we wont have any fit strikers for Thursday's match

Post #535620  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:16 am 

I've seen Reiss-Nelson on tv several times. I was always impressed and you won't find an unkind word from me about him in my posts. He isn't Cristiano but he isn't trash either. I saw him live in the friendly vs Milan...I was impressed.
I've always thought there was a place for him and he was played in a position he didn't want or wasn't suited for. You play where the squad needs you, ok. But why not play to his strengths sometimes?

Post #535621  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:19 am 

Bored wrote:
Its possible we wont have any fit strikers for Thursday's match

Really? Who is available?

Post #535622  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:03 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

The other side of that 81% possession is it illustrates how much we struggle to create big chances. So many blocked shots and harmless floaty crosses.

Nelson was pinging them in hard, both along the ground and in the air (as with Whites goal)--I think that is a very good tactic against a team that is mopping up everything in the air and closing down the shooting and passing channels.

Hi Decaf,

It would be interesting to see if we had a big powerful CF who could maybe get on the end of some of those crosses, but then again would that change our whole dynamic?

Post #535623  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:05 am 

I wonder if Arteta might be tempted to sit Jorginho in front of the two CBs, giving us a little more protection against these pesky counter-attacks which routinely see us 2 v 3 or even 2 v 4.

Jorginho is not the quickest so its not the ideal solution but I'm struggling to think how we can make ourselves less vulnerable whilst at the same time having a player at the base of the midfield with the ability to spray passes around.

For all our domination yesterday we were really really vulnerable to their counters.

Post #535624  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 am 

Decaf wrote:
1. If a keeper take too long, award an indirect free kick. Isn't that the rule anyway? Yellow cards are not the right punishment.
2. Have a timekeeper calculate the amount of extra time accurately and without discretion OR just stop the clock when the game stops, like in rugby, American football etc.
A direct free kick in the D would eliminate much time wasting by keepers. Yes, an independent clock that stops when ball is out of play would be fairer on spectators too. The technology is there.

Post #535625  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:58 am 

socrates wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Hi Decaf,

It would be interesting to see if we had a big powerful CF who could maybe get on the end of some of those crosses, but then again would that change our whole dynamic?

Greetings Soc. You'd think that a lot of the time we are facing a low block and it is fairly static anyway, but what do I know? The proof is in the pudding.

I suppose, Jesus, when he comes back, brings a bit more physicality, and Nketiah's movement in the box somewhat makes up for his stature.

Post #535626  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:40 pm 

A pundit probably described it all the best. The first ten seconds and last ten seconds and 97 minutes of good football inbetween.

Post #535627  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:43 pm 

socrates wrote:
I wonder if Arteta might be tempted to sit Jorginho in front of the two CBs, giving us a little more protection against these pesky counter-attacks which routinely see us 2 v 3 or even 2 v 4.

Jorginho is not the quickest so its not the ideal solution but I'm struggling to think how we can make ourselves less vulnerable whilst at the same time having a player at the base of the midfield with the ability to spray passes around.

For all our domination yesterday we were really really vulnerable to their counters.

You'd think with that us so vulnerable at the back for counters in games against lesser sides, in theory we'd be conceding bucket loads against the top 6 sides. But we don't. We approach those sides differently. Far more team defense. I think its how we approach lesser sides vs how we approach the better sides.

Post #535628  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:49 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/richar ... ate-winner

Richard Keys is back….this time he’s fine with us celebrating but questions why we were allowed to play to 97 minutes when only 6 were shown. Of course everyone knows why and it was completely valid but I’m questioning this Keys once again shows his ridiculous bias against us this season.

This season I’ve seen so many bitter people in the media towards what we’re doing. If they’re ex-spurs or even have deep affinity to some of our rivals I get it, they can’t help themself or hide their jealousy but what I don’t understand is from supposed neutral pundits/presenters - or even if deep down they aren’t neutral if they head the show they have to appear neutral

Post #535629  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm 

socrates wrote:

Not conceding first is so key in these games. We end up going much more gung-ho and risk being picked off.
Generally Saliba and Gabriel do a fantastic 1v1 job against most strikers, being asked to defend that way with 50 yards of space behind you really is the biggest difference between elite CB and those that look great but play for midtable teams. I’ve never understood the clamour surrounding these types of CB, usually English, and demanding they get to play for a top 6 side and the national team. It’s a completely different level. It’s similar in a way to some strikers, score lots for a midtable team and everyone thinks that put him in a top 6 team with much better players and the goals will still flow - which totally ignores the lack of space the top strikers get to operate in when they routinely face 10 man defences.

I don’t know if there is a way we can draw out the opposition more?

Not conceding and patience is key. Defending solidly for 90 minutes is mentally draining and 1 mistake and you’re punished. You could see that with all 3 of our goals in the end, great finishes but Bournemouth just slightly switched off and didn’t follow the man or were caught ball watching. It was the same v Everton.
Once we get in front those counter attacking chances all but disappear

Post #535630  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/richard-keys-no-problem-arsenal-celebrations-queries-late-winner

Richard Keys is back….this time he’s fine with us celebrating but questions why we were allowed to play to 97 minutes when only 6 were shown. Of course everyone knows why and it was completely valid but I’m questioning this Keys once again shows his ridiculous bias against us this season.

This season I’ve seen so many bitter people in the media towards what we’re doing. If they’re ex-spurs or even have deep affinity to some of our rivals I get it, they can’t help themself or hide their jealousy but what I don’t understand is from supposed neutral pundits/presenters - or even if deep down they aren’t neutral if they head the show they have to appear neutral

Imagine it was united or, heaven forbid, Spurs having such an unexpectedly brilliant season, Rich. Do you think you'd be able to take it graciously? It must be vary hard to stomach .:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #535631  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:44 pm 

https://twitter.com/maa_gunner/status/1 ... -j6VVZXEoA

This is the talksport commentary. The noise from the crowd literally drowning out a commentator shouting in to his microphone.

Best atmosphere in the league game after game by far.

If you have the chance to listen to the handbrake off podcast Amy Lawrence for a day with the Ashburton Army a group of 100 youngish guys who have taken it on themselves to improve the atmosphere in the ground. A million hats off to them for what they’ve done

Post #535632  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:46 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/richard-keys-no-problem-arsenal-celebrations-queries-late-winner

Imagine it was united or, heaven forbid, Spurs having such an unexpectedly brilliant season, Rich. Do you think you'd be able to take it graciously? It must be vary hard to stomach .:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I’d be seething and bitter and trying to downplay everything they do….but I’m not paid to be neutral and front a huge football show to an audience of millions.

Post #535633  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:24 pm 

Surely the greatest twitter thread of all time

https://twitter.com/afcdw/status/163209 ... 2SVs7ar8TQ

Post #535634  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/maa_gunner/status/1632363181174562816?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

This is the talksport commentary. The noise from the crowd literally drowning out a commentator shouting in to his microphone.

Best atmosphere in the league game after game by far.

If you have the chance to listen to the handbrake off podcast Amy Lawrence for a day with the Ashburton Army a group of 100 youngish guys who have taken it on themselves to improve the atmosphere in the ground. A million hats off to them for what they’ve done

Those kids have seen brilliant. Going mental for 90 minutes. The drums are wicked

Honestly I didn’t think we could top the atmosphere at the end of the united game but yesterday was mental.

Will check out the podcast thanks

Post #535635  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:46 pm 

https://twitter.com/afcamden/status/163 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Overview of the penalty shouts yesterday. Doesn’t include the one where billing has his hand up sort of protecting his face and it hit it.

They are all in the category of seen them given. The first one where he mistimed his header is not his shoulder and looks lower than the sleeve. The best shout is the Saka one where the defender clearly leans in to the cross and makes himself bigger you only have to look at where his arm goes after the ball hits it to see what his intention was. That one is handball for sure

Post #535636  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:26 pm 

So it’s not just our men’s side then. In the League Cup final our women’s side have just been denied a stonewall penalty. So obvious that it’s hard to imagine how the referee and assistant didn’t see it.

Post #535637  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:27 pm 

Arsenal are women are beating Chelsea 3-1 in the cup final and have just had the clearest penalty you’ll ever see not given. It’s not just the men’s team!
Honestly this was actually worse than any decision the men’s team have had

Post #535638  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:01 pm 

There's an echo in here ....

Post #535639  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:14 pm 

Nice one Gakpo.

Post #535640  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Nice one Gakpo.

… and Nunez (helped by Keystone Cops defending).

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13388, 13389, 13390, 13391, 13392, 13393, 13394 ... 13710  Next