Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 293 guests

Post #530921  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:26 pm 

Decaf wrote:
dec wrote:
I really don't think that is what we need at all. Falling out with your players is daft. I would have serious doubts about his people management abilities. It's not as if Aubameyang is a one-off. Players are dropped and get very limited opportunities to get back in. We are sending players out on loan or letting them go for free without replacing them. Our squad is so small that we got a game cancelled with one Covid case. What happens if Lacazette goes over on his ankle next week? We have three centrebacks in the squad. One injury and one suspension and we could have to switch one of our fullbacks in there, one of whom is coming back from injury and the other injury-prone.

You edited out my last sentence, which distorted the point of my post.

My point was that each of the outs, looked at individually, was good management. Do you deny that Aubameyang needed to be moved on? Not replacing them is a huge risk. But I can understand why we didn't just sign who was available. We have surely learned our lessons about that.

Management style is a different issue. No doubt Arteta expects high standards of discipline. However, I do believe that if Aubameyang had been scoring goals, his rather minor disciplinary breach would have been brushed over (I don't think Aubameyang was a bad influence at all in the squad. By all accounts he is friendly and cheerful and supportive of the younger players.) The same applies to other players supposedly frozen out.

Apologies Decaf. My intention certainly wasn't to distort your post. I agree that it would be entirely different had we brought in another striker. The thing is though, we didn't and we are now down to a squad that is more than threadbare. For me, it is not a good sign that the manager excludes players to the extent that they leave the club.

I also grow weary of all this stuff about time-keeping, discipline etc. We are talking about adults. I've known people who were quite brilliant at what they do, but were regularly late. It's not really a huge deal.

Post #530922  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Below is the full list, at least as it currently stands, of Arsenal’s 100 club...

Thierry Henry 228
Ian Wright 185
Cliff Bastin 178*
John Radford 149
Jimmy Brain 139*
Ted Drake 139*
Doug Lishman 137*
Robin van Persie 132
Joe Hulme 125*
David Jack 124*
Dennis Bergkamp 120
Reg Lewis 118*
Alan Smith 115
Jack Lambert 109*
Frank Stapleton 108
Theo Walcott 108
David Herd 107*
Olivier Giroud 105
Joe Baker 100*
Interesting thing about that list is that four players who scored some 500 goals between them for Arsenal never got a full international cap - Brain, Lishman, Lambert and Lewis.

Post #530923  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:47 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Below is the full list, at least as it currently stands, of Arsenal’s 100 club...

Thierry Henry 228
Ian Wright 185
Cliff Bastin 178*
John Radford 149
Jimmy Brain 139*
Ted Drake 139*
Doug Lishman 137*
Robin van Persie 132
Joe Hulme 125*
David Jack 124*
Dennis Bergkamp 120
Reg Lewis 118*
Alan Smith 115
Jack Lambert 109*
Frank Stapleton 108
Theo Walcott 108
David Herd 107*
Olivier Giroud 105
Joe Baker 100*
Interesting thing about that list is that four players who scored some 500 goals between them for Arsenal never got a full international cap - Brain, Lishman, Lambert and Lewis.

I didn’t know Brain, Lishman, Lambert and Lewis never won a cap. But if they didn’t it presumably offers even more support to the idea that it’s now much easier to win an England cap than it was. I knew Simpson and Armstrong didn’t as they were in my time. Both were outstanding players.

Post #530924  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 pm 

Do you think there is Any truth in the story in the Times that Arsenal actually paid Aubameyang 7mil to leave?

Post #530925  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:46 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Do you think there is Any truth in the story in the Times that Arsenal actually paid Aubameyang 7mil to leave?

It’s an amount that’s repeated in various reports, not just the Times. My natural reaction is to take seriously stuff in the traditional broadsheets (Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent) more than what I’ve seen called the gutter press (Sun, Mirror, Star). But that doesn’t mean everything in the broadsheets is right and everything in the gutter press is wrong.

I’d be surprised if Arsenal didn’t pay Aubameyang something to go. They’re saving a lot on his wages (if he was on £300k a week that’s £15.6m a year) and with him excluded from Arsenal’s team, his salary was dead money. Aubameyang’s agents would know that and I’m sure would be wanting some sort of pay off for him to terminate his contract. £7m sounds as realistic as any other figure.

Post #530926  Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I didn’t know Brain, Lishman, Lambert and Lewis never won a cap. But if they didn’t it presumably offers even more support to the idea that it’s now much easier to win an England cap than it was...
Yes it does seem remarkable, but of course there were far fewer internationals when those guys were playing and no substitutions. Of the 1028 games played by England since 1872, well over half have taken place in the last fifty years - many competitions and friendlies.

Both Armstrong and Simpson were unlucky to play in an era when there was a lot of talented men in their positions. Geordie had the energy and selfless game that Alf Ramsey must have admired, but he preferred men who were not traditional toes-on-chalk wingers, such as Alan Ball and Martin Peters. When he did pick wingers he used guys like Connolly, Paine, Callaghan, Thompson, Tambling, Hinton and Summerbee. To my mind Geordie was better than all of them, save Summerbee.

Post #530927  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Some class players in that list eh?

Winced when I read van persie and never realised had he stayed he would have got really close to cliff bastins record. Ridiculous way to end it.

Also the list confirms that Thierry must have been from another planet or something. That is not human.

I’m sure everyone here and the huge majority of Arsenal fans across the world who don’t use the forum must be aware Henry is the club’s record goal scorer. But what I imagine is less well known is that Henry actually provided more assists than Bergkamp.

I’ve stated my opposition to terms like ‘best ever player’ and ‘GOAT (greatest of all time)’. But if anyone is going to make me break my own rule, it’s Henry. He was so good he was practically a freak of nature.

I have no such qualms. :) Henry was our best player ever.

Post #530928  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 am 

Rich wrote:
The culling of the squad will continue heavily this summer. It seems quite clear who the manager wants and who he doesn't. This summer it really shouldn't take too much effort to generate £60-70m from sales
Lacazette, Elneny and Nketiah all leave for free (although we may be due compensation for Nketiah as we trained him from youth level)
Guendouzi is on a £12m obligation to buy
Mavropanos is on a £3m obligation to buy - unless Stuttgart get relegated then he's back with us to sell on the open market if we wish
Torreira has a £12m option to buy - he's done well for Fiorentina so far
Mari and Nelson could be sold for £3-5m each
AMN, Leno and Bellerin could go for a combined £30m

£60-70m right there

Of course we'll be looking to maybe spend all of that on a single striker so there will need to be some heavy spending as well. Beyond those listed above you could look at Xhaka and Pépé possibly leaving but they would generate decent enough fees.

It is going to be/should be another busy summer for us I think

My main worry is that if the re-building takes too long and we're not competing for trophies then our best players will leave and we'll be stuck in a perpetual refresh cycle.

Post #530929  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:36 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arsenal forced to pay Aubameyang £7m severance package to cancel contract but saved £29m from his £350k-a-week wages

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

Post #530930  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:56 am 

grantyboy wrote:
My main worry is that if the re-building takes too long and we're not competing for trophies then our best players will leave and we'll be stuck in a perpetual refresh cycle.

That’s such a valid point. I’ve mentioned the case of Saka. His contract apparently expires in 2024, a little over two years away. He’s going to have loads of big clubs with large wallets hovering around him. If he thinks he has more chance of success on the pitch with them, might he be tempted to go? Who knows, but if Saka does moves on in the next couple of years, I think it could put Arsenal’s project back years.

That’s one of the reasons why I thought getting fourth place was so important as well as achievable this season.

Post #530931  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:17 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arsenal forced to pay Aubameyang £7m severance package to cancel contract but saved £29m from his £350k-a-week wages

Situation with Aubameyang has to be so very bad for us to let him go despite our desperate need for a striker. It will be an interesting read when details finally come out.

Post #530932  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:07 am 

Bernard wrote:
Thanks. I can open some links but not others. I tried what you suggested on one of the ones that don’t and a black box flashed up giving four options: Copy / Look Up / Translate / Share

Ok - Next time you see a link and can't open it, can you quote the post then draw my attention to it please ?

I suspect it might be your web browser not able to see the truncated links the forum creates for long links.

When it says 'copy', you should be able to copy the link then paste it into a browser.

Also, did you say that was an iPhone with Safari ?

Post #530933  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:14 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

So the club is really saying we have saved 22mil by getting rid of him. Sounds great, however lets interrogate that statement a little further.

If he'd gone to the gulf team with a payment of 8mill by them (and lets assume the 7million payout) as was suggested then we would be in a lot better position but lets look at the Barca deal.

Now this saving presumes that we don't replace him at all. Say we replace him by buying a 30mill player on a three year contract : one year(next year) costs us 10million in sign on fees and say he is on 100k per week, then add 5.2million. So you might say we are still ahead by 7 million. But do you get a replacement at that cost and on those wages : who is capable of being one of two strikers who will succeed at this level.

The club spin is just that. Was I sick of Aubameyang - yes. Will we get a striker that Arteta seems to want : someone who scores regularly from our small number of clear chances and drops back into midfield like Lacazette to assist. I look forward to identifying him.

Post #530934  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

That’s such a valid point. I’ve mentioned the case of Saka. His contract apparently expires in 2024, a little over two years away. He’s going to have loads of big clubs with large wallets hovering around him. If he thinks he has more chance of success on the pitch with them, might he be tempted to go? Who knows, but if Saka does moves on in the next couple of years, I think it could put Arsenal’s project back years.

That’s one of the reasons why I thought getting fourth place was so important as well as achievable this season.

Saka was definitely one of the ones I was thinking of as an at risk target for other clubs. Especially given that he's probably still on quite low wages given his age.

I hadn't actually thought about 4th that much because at the start of the year I didn't think we'd be there this season. But I think you're right that getting 4th is now becoming vital to improving our prospects in the market. We can't live on a big club reputation forever.

Post #530935  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:26 am 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:
You edited out my last sentence, which distorted the point of my post.

My point was that each of the outs, looked at individually, was good management. Do you deny that Aubameyang needed to be moved on? Not replacing them is a huge risk. But I can understand why we didn't just sign who was available. We have surely learned our lessons about that.

Management style is a different issue. No doubt Arteta expects high standards of discipline. However, I do believe that if Aubameyang had been scoring goals, his rather minor disciplinary breach would have been brushed over (I don't think Aubameyang was a bad influence at all in the squad. By all accounts he is friendly and cheerful and supportive of the younger players.) The same applies to other players supposedly frozen out.

Apologies Decaf. My intention certainly wasn't to distort your post. I agree that it would be entirely different had we brought in another striker. The thing is though, we didn't and we are now down to a squad that is more than threadbare. For me, it is not a good sign that the manager excludes players to the extent that they leave the club.

I also grow weary of all this stuff about time-keeping, discipline etc. We are talking about adults. I've known people who were quite brilliant at what they do, but were regularly late. It's not really a huge deal.

No problem, Dec. I was just wondering if Aubameyang's happy go lucky attitude was something that developed recently, or if he as always been like that but it was found to be tolerable when he was playing well.

Post #530936  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:37 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:
The culling of the squad will continue heavily this summer. It seems quite clear who the manager wants and who he doesn't. This summer it really shouldn't take too much effort to generate £60-70m from sales
Lacazette, Elneny and Nketiah all leave for free (although we may be due compensation for Nketiah as we trained him from youth level)
Guendouzi is on a £12m obligation to buy
Mavropanos is on a £3m obligation to buy - unless Stuttgart get relegated then he's back with us to sell on the open market if we wish
Torreira has a £12m option to buy - he's done well for Fiorentina so far
Mari and Nelson could be sold for £3-5m each
AMN, Leno and Bellerin could go for a combined £30m

£60-70m right there

Of course we'll be looking to maybe spend all of that on a single striker so there will need to be some heavy spending as well. Beyond those listed above you could look at Xhaka and Pépé possibly leaving but they would generate decent enough fees.

It is going to be/should be another busy summer for us I think

Indeed. We seemed always to be 'rebuilding' in the mid- to late-Wenger years. This when we were qualifying every year for CL, but never quite making the investment in the right players that was needed to kick on. CL qualification would be wonderful, but it will only be meaningful if we have a proper strategy to build on it.

Post #530937  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:22 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

If Rupert says it's true, that's good enough for me.

Post #530938  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:09 am 

I love that my club is seen as a family, home to all types of players. Becks could have trained with any club in London but he chose us. It's not just the facilities its how we do things.

Wilshere, like a lot of every day folks, sometimes had to learn where home is by leaving.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=36485 ... aggr_v_ids[0]=364852202120260&notif_id=1643865640871565&notif_t=watch_follower_video&ref=notif

Post #530939  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:58 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I love that my club is seen as a family, home to all types of players. Becks could have trained with any club in London but he chose us. It's not just the facilities its how we do things.

Wilshere, like a lot of every day folks, sometimes had to learn where home is by leaving.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=36485 ... aggr_v_ids[0]=364852202120260&notif_id=1643865640871565&notif_t=watch_follower_video&ref=notif

I don’t think that Jack chose to leave. It was circumstances and injuries (and a loan period) that caused that.

Post #530940  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 pm 

Yeah, his injuries. Still the gist is the club is seen as 'home' to many players. Even if their career didn't go as well as expected. I would guess Anelka, Petit, van Persie, and others with very few exceptions (Nasri, AOC) would say that their happiest moments as a pro was with us.

Post #530941  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:51 pm 

Our postponed home game against Wolves has been rescheduled for Feb 24th, which isn't bad. Five days after our home game against Brentford, and ten days before we play Watford away.

It's a little bit worse for Wolves; they have one day less rest before the game, and play West Ham three days later.

Post #530942  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yeah, his injuries. Still the gist is the club is seen as 'home' to many players. Even if their career didn't go as well as expected. I would guess Anelka, Petit, van Persie, and others with very few exceptions (Nasri, AOC) would say that their happiest moments as a pro was with us.

I really enjoyed that Wilshere interview, AG - thanks for posting it. Still, regarding your comment, depending on how far back you go, I can think of a few (hundred) exceptions: Gnabry, Gallas, Bennacer, Willian, Čech, Silvestre, Suarez D., Mart Poom ...

Post #530943  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:19 am 

Martinelli is being touted as the possible Striker for us. I would welcome this. Believe he will do well there.

Post #530944  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:39 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Martinelli is being touted as the possible Striker for us. I would welcome this. Believe he will do well there.

My concern is that we are asking too much of him. Maybe we will be forced into this but I would prefer for him to progress by learning the left side role.

Post #530945  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

My concern is that we are asking too much of him. Maybe we will be forced into this but I would prefer for him to progress by learning the left side role.

He might surprise us with his abilities. Looking at the glass, half-full (perhaps misplaced optimism :42laughter: )
That said, didn't like that we did not get anyone in to strengthen the squad :8angers: :36angers:

Post #530946  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:33 am 

Aubameyang's interview whebit of a lack of re he said he 'only had a problem with Arteta' shows a lack of self awareness. As far as I'm aware Aubameyang has had indiscipline problems virtually everywhere he has played and has fallen out with most coaches he's player under. He even had discipline problems when he was at AFCON when he'd been sidelined by Arsenal for discipline problems.
I'm not suggesting Arteta gets every call right but a good point I saw yesterday was however inexperienced Arteta is he spent 3 years right at the heart of what truly elite looks like, and alongside one of the most discipline focused managers in the world. Anyone recall the story Henry said that Pep subbed him at half time even though he had scored because Henry was wandering off his position that Pep had prescribed to him.

If Arteta is bringing in and demanding a culture of ultra professionalism, respect, discipline, commitment and work ethic then that absolutely has to be a good thing.

Post #530947  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:34 am 

Rich wrote:
Aubameyang's interview whebit of a lack of re he said he 'only had a problem with Arteta' shows a lack of self awareness. As far as I'm aware Aubameyang has had indiscipline problems virtually everywhere he has played and has fallen out with most coaches he's player under. He even had discipline problems when he was at AFCON when he'd been sidelined by Arsenal for discipline problems.
I'm not suggesting Arteta gets every call right but a good point I saw yesterday was however inexperienced Arteta is he spent 3 years right at the heart of what truly elite looks like, and alongside one of the most discipline focused managers in the world. Anyone recall the story Henry said that Pep subbed him at half time even though he had scored because Henry was wandering off his position that Pep had prescribed to him.

If Arteta is bringing in and demanding a culture of ultra professionalism, respect, discipline, commitment and work ethic then that absolutely has to be a good thing.

I’m not disagreeing with you but there are levels to this issue. I’m not convinced it would be healthy to completely kill any chance of independent thought or autonomous decision making in players. Otherwise you might as well have a bunch of yes men or robots in the team.

Post #530948  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:26 pm 

Rich wrote:

His personality seems to be 'happy go lucky', 'don't take things so serious' and perhaps a little bit of immaturity and lack of judgement mixed in.

I'm curious to know if his issues with past managers were the same issues he had with Arteta. He and Lacazette seemed to be buds but seem opposite in how they approach the game. Lacazette seems far more focused and possibly more hardworking in training and a better professional is my guess.

Anyway, I like Aubameyang, wish him well, and its a shame he couldn't eke out a career of sorts with us longer.

Post #530949  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:31 pm 

With the huge amounts stripped out of the wage bill I looked up our highest earners list and 4 of the top 7 have question marks on their future.
Lacazette, Pépé, Xhaka, Leno - their combined salaries are £520k per week.
Aubameyang's salary pays the wages of 3 new players in the summer with the current wage structure. Or leaves plenty of change after sorting new contracts for Saka, Martinelli and Saliba - crucial we tie these 3 down this summer.
The summer after that you want to be looking after Ramsdale, Ødegaard, Partey, Tomiyasu, gabriel and Tavares whose deals expire in 2025

Post #530950  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’m not disagreeing with you but there are levels to this issue. I’m not convinced it would be healthy to completely kill any chance of independent thought or autonomous decision making in players. Otherwise you might as well have a bunch of yes men or robots in the team.

Certainly agree on that, not to keep bring Pep + Henry back in to the conversation but I remember Henry saying Pépé had a very structured way of moving the ball forward UNTILL it got to the final 3rd. 'I get the ball to you in the final 3rd, and then you score the goal' Creative freedom in the final 3rd has to happen, balancing that with a more structured approach moving the ball from back to front would seem sensible

Post #530951  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:03 pm 

A few more links to this Djed Spence kid who played so well against us at RB in the Cup. Forest play Leicester at home in the next round live on terrestrial tv in the UK so another chance to see how good he is.
Fee is rumoured to be £10m, which for a young english RB who can be a good back up to Tomiyasu whilst offering something a bit different would be a good deal......IF we consider him to be good enough

Post #530952  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
A few more links to this Djed Spence kid who played so well against us at RB in the Cup. Forest play Leicester at home in the next round live on terrestrial tv in the UK so another chance to see how good he is.
Fee is rumoured to be £10m, which for a young english RB who can be a good back up to Tomiyasu whilst offering something a bit different would be a good deal......IF we consider him to be good enough

Spence is actually on Middlesbrough’s books. He’s on loan at Forest. Lots of rumours that Tottenham want him as well. Considering Arsenal already have the very impressive Tomiyasu as the first choice right back, if Spence would walk into Tottenham’s first team it wouldn’t shock me if he’d rather go there than start off as a squad back up at Arsenal?

Post #530953  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
His personality seems to be 'happy go lucky', 'don't take things so serious' and perhaps a little bit of immaturity and lack of judgement mixed in.

Post #530954  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:37 pm 

Tonights FA Cup game on Sky is Man Utd v Middlesboro. Worth a watch as Balogun might get a game.

Post #530955  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:14 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Tonights FA Cup game on Sky is Man Utd v Middlesboro. Worth a watch as Balogun might get a game.

My mistake, it's on ITV and he starts.

Post #530956  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:54 pm 

Ooops Man U knocked out of the Fa Cup by Boro on pens

Post #530957  Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:57 pm 

Omari Hutchinson with another stunning goal for the U23 tonight. He could find himself on the bench for the first team in the run in. Left footed winger who plays wide right, wears 7 and likes dribbling and driving infield and shooting. Sounds like Saka. He’s very talented.
Salah Edine also scored a great goal

Post #530958  Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:49 am 

Rich wrote:
Pleased about that, but what a terrible decision to let Boro's goal stand - inexplicable.

Post #530959  Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:57 am 

Rich wrote:

Worth watching the highlights: Our man had a few good moments going forward, Ronaldo missed a penalty in normal time and they missed some easy chances. Its a feeling our man won't get too often in his career - being in a side that wins at Man U. They put out a good team.

Post #530960  Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:50 am 

Good ol' VAR eh ?

Premier League without VAR: Arsenal in Champions League places; Everton soar to safety

https://www.espn.com.au/football/englis ... -to-safety

"But ESPN can reveal that without the decisions of the VAR, Arsenal would already be sitting pretty in fourth spot and dreaming of that place back among Europe's elite."

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13271, 13272, 13273, 13274, 13275, 13276, 13277 ... 14021  Next