Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 269 guests

Post #555361  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:17 am 

socrates wrote:
I don't think the refeeing was especially biased or incompetent.

Me neither.

Post #555362  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:21 am 

U21s progressed in the EFL trophy last night on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Swindon.
Good experience for those players.
Lino Sousa and Jimi Gower (don't know him) scored our goals.

Post #555363  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:29 am 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
I don't think the refeeing was especially biased or incompetent.

Me neither.

Nor me, but the second yellow for Tomiyasu was very, very harsh.

Post #555364  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:55 am 

More clarity is emerging on why Gab was dropped. Sounds as though he’s been properly tapped up by the Saudis or RM – or both.

Can’t really blame him for listening or indeed for actively pursuing the opportunity. One would mean a gargantuan hike in wages while the other dangles the Holy Grail of Real Madrid.

Shame.

Post #555365  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:34 am 

DHD wrote:
More clarity is emerging on why Gab was dropped. Sounds as though he’s been properly tapped up by the Saudis or RM – or both.

Can’t really blame him for listening or indeed for actively pursuing the opportunity. One would mean a gargantuan hike in wages while the other dangles the Holy Grail of Real Madrid.

Shame.

The reports this morning are suggesting thankfully we won’t sell at any price. I don’t see how the transfer is possible. Even if they offered a caicedo type fee we wouldn’t be able to replace him at this stage. That said I don’t believe for a second that his absence recently has been “tactical” total b%*&s%*^. Bloke played virtually every game for us last year.

Post #555366  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:44 am 

Rich wrote:
This nonsense about time wasting at throw ins, if you prepared for every throw in in the opponents half as a chance to launch a long throw in to the box, and waited for a centre back to run forward you would be allowed much longer time. The same with free kicks if you want a shot at goal direct from it.
PGMOL have dug themselves in to a hole that will just expose the impossibility of being consistent so there will always be disgruntlement and will lead people to scrutinise other incidents where teams weren’t punished as they were.
Once again refereeing is in the gutter. 2 weeks in and we’ve had 2 admitted errors that neither the ref on the pitch or the 2 VAR refs were able to come to the right conclusion on.

There was a briefing this year that there would be more tolerance on physical contact, why was this not applied to Tomiyasu- where there was little or no contact?

But ... teams cannot just take any amount of time over throw ins. So how do you police that? Either you allow the ref to make a subjective decision, or you get the timekeepers involved.

I think the problem is using the yellow card to police time wasting. It seems to be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut because it can result in ridiculous sending offs. It is also completely ineffective toward then end of a game because teams are often happy to take yellow or two to run out the clock.

Why not rather just give the throw to the opposition if it is taking too much time? Likewise, if a team is taking forever for a free kicks--award an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Post #555367  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:51 am 

On the timekeeping thing David Dein is right. The only thing that fixes it will be an independent time keeper where the duration of the game is set at 60 odd minutes in play and nobody leaves until that is done. This way time wasting matters less obviously it will gain the cheating team a breather but sending off all the players and causing controversy every week isn’t the answer.

Post #555368  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:16 am 

I’ve thought for a while now that teams who waste time should suffer more consequences for their actions. Yellow cards are all very well but they don’t address the additional time created by the delays. Sometimes, the additional time favours the cheaters.

Imagine this scenario - Team B is drawing 0-0 away from home and run up 7 minutes of extra time by slowing things down so they can hang on. Team A score in the 87th minute to go 1 up, leaving Team B a full 10 mins to equalise. But 7 of those extra minutes are a consequence of Team B’s cheating. Under those circumstances, the extra time should be cancelled.

QED.

Post #555369  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 am 

DHD wrote:

Shame.

Possible, although Gab's demeanour on Monday was the opposite of 'want away'.

It's equally possible that it is Arteta trying to shoehorn Havertz into the team as a hybrid 8/10 and consequently Partey as a inverting fullback to shore up the midfield. That would seem to suggest that Areteta thinks that Havertz is potentially something special, and that Partey can play that role. Maybe when Zinny starts we'll see gab back and Partey benched?

Post #555370  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
On the timekeeping thing David Dein is right. The only thing that fixes it will be an independent time keeper where the duration of the game is set at 60 odd minutes in play and nobody leaves until that is done. This way time wasting matters less obviously it will gain the cheating team a breather but sending off all the players and causing controversy every week isn’t the answer.

Yeah. Adding on time when ball is not in play to then end would result in 120 minute games, which would be exhausting and tedious and further favour teams who can afford to have class players on the bench.

Post #555371  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah. Adding on time when ball is not in play to then end would result in 120 minute games, which would be exhausting and tedious and further favour teams who can afford to have class players on the bench.

You are going to get it anyway right ? We’re having 100 minute games anyway right now. The ref can still book people for taking the piss but it strikes me that Arteta is right you are going down the line of debating time keeping allowed and the ref booking people on their own inaccurate interpretation of who is time wasting or not. The league will have to publish a recommended time guide for how long a corner, throw in or goal kicks takes. Load of bollocks

Post #555372  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:52 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
This nonsense about time wasting at throw ins, if you prepared for every throw in in the opponents half as a chance to launch a long throw in to the box, and waited for a centre back to run forward you would be allowed much longer time. The same with free kicks if you want a shot at goal direct from it.
PGMOL have dug themselves in to a hole that will just expose the impossibility of being consistent so there will always be disgruntlement and will lead people to scrutinise other incidents where teams weren’t punished as they were.
Once again refereeing is in the gutter. 2 weeks in and we’ve had 2 admitted errors that neither the ref on the pitch or the 2 VAR refs were able to come to the right conclusion on.

There was a briefing this year that there would be more tolerance on physical contact, why was this not applied to Tomiyasu- where there was little or no contact?

But ... teams cannot just take any amount of time over throw ins. So how do you police that? Either you allow the ref to make a subjective decision, or you get the timekeepers involved.

I think the problem is using the yellow card to police time wasting. It seems to be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut because it can result in ridiculous sending offs. It is also completely ineffective toward then end of a game because teams are often happy to take yellow or two to run out the clock.

Why not rather just give the throw to the opposition if it is taking too much time? Likewise, if a team is taking forever for a free kicks--award an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Agree on the last idea. Turning over possession is a better punishment. Not sure how that works for time wasting on goal kicks!?

Basically the PGMOL have made a rod for their own backs because yellows for time wasting will now be counted to the second by fans, managers etc and will show the inconsistency.

If a team who is 1-0 down takes 40 seconds over a throw, because they want to be precise and careful not to lose possession in a dangerous area of the pitch and go 2-0 down are they allowed to do that because why would a losing team waste time?

The more you delve in to it the more questions arise

Post #555373  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:57 am 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Shame.

It's equally possible that it is Arteta trying to shoehorn Havertz into the team as a hybrid 8/10 and consequently Partey as a inverting fullback to shore up the midfield. That would seem to suggest that Areteta thinks that Havertz is potentially something special, and that Partey can play that role. Maybe when Zinny starts we'll see gab back and Partey benched?

I think Arteta is just getting more players used to playing different positions so that we have more cover throughout the season. Whether that be fresh players from the bench or moving less tired players into other positions to give the mainstay a break. Or easier adjustments when a players gets sent off. We saw how much we missed with the Saliba injury last year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gabriel start and Saliba get a rest vs Fulham. Worth noting that we had 5 players either in new roles or new to the team against palace and still managed to grind out a result. I can’t wait till it starts to click because there will be so many more tactical options.

Post #555374  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:03 am 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Agree on the last idea. Turning over possession is a better punishment. Not sure how that works for time wasting on goal kicks!?

Basically the PGMOL have made a rod for their own backs because yellows for time wasting will now be counted to the second by fans, managers etc and will show the inconsistency.

If a team who is 1-0 down takes 40 seconds over a throw, because they want to be precise and careful not to lose possession in a dangerous area of the pitch and go 2-0 down are they allowed to do that because why would a losing team waste time?

The video ref could have a countdown clock of 10 seconds for a throw and if you don’t then it’s handed over. No swapping of throw in taker either. That would quickly sort out all the nonsense.

To be fair I’ve previously found Tomyasu has taken way too long to take throw ins anyway even though in this case it was Havertz who mucked around with it initially.

Post #555375  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:39 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think Arteta is just getting more players used to playing different positions so that we have more cover throughout the season. Whether that be fresh players from the bench or moving less tired players into other positions to give the mainstay a break. Or easier adjustments when a players gets sent off. We saw how much we missed with the Saliba injury last year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gabriel start and Saliba get a rest vs Fulham. Worth noting that we had 5 players either in new roles or new to the team against palace and still managed to grind out a result. I can’t wait till it starts to click because there will be so many more tactical options.

If that is the case, I would like to see a bit more rotation of the front three. I would be seriously tempted to give Emile Smith Rowe or Nelson good minutes against Fulham. If not a start, 30 minutes at least.

Post #555376  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:53 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

The video ref could have a countdown clock of 10 seconds for a throw and if you don’t then it’s handed over. No swapping of throw in taker either. That would quickly sort out all the nonsense.

To be fair I’ve previously found Tomyasu has taken way too long to take throw ins anyway even though in this case it was Havertz who mucked around with it initially.

To keep playing devils advocate - when does the countdown clock start? when the ball is in the hands of the taker? they'd just walk more slowly to the ball. When it goes out of play, wouldn't be fair as your team may be at the other end of the pitch, or the ball may not be as quickly retrievable in some cases

Post #555377  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

To keep playing devils advocate - when does the countdown clock start? when the ball is in the hands of the taker? they'd just walk more slowly to the ball. When it goes out of play, wouldn't be fair as your team may be at the other end of the pitch, or the ball may not be as quickly retrievable in some cases

One does wonder if the old way of just allowing the ref to decide isn't best in this case! The downside is that refs are fallible and influenced by the crowd. However, isn't that part of the game?

The issue for me is that yellow card is the wrong punishment for the offence.

Post #555378  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

One does wonder if the old way of just allowing the ref to decide isn't best in this case! The downside is that refs are fallible and influenced by the crowd. However, isn't that part of the game?

The issue for me is that yellow card is the wrong punishment for the offence.

That's it in a nutshell for me. Counting the seconds to take a throw-in is nuts. Situations differ so the ref has discretion to act accordingly. Arsenal were clearly time-wasting on Monday and he had warned the players on the goal-kick that preceeded the throw-in. I'd ask why were time-wasting in the first place. We are away to Palace with half an hour left.. not in the dying minutes at the Bernabeu.

As you say, the problem is the punishment. A yellow is far too harsh. It lowers the threshold for a sending-off to silly levels. Add on the time and give the throw the other way. If it becomes persistent, issue a warning and then if it still continues, dish out the cards.

Post #555379  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:05 pm 

Train strike Saturday. That's awkward. To drive, you need to add ULEZ and Congestion charges. It's all becoming quite difficult - and expensive - to watch a match live.

Post #555380  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:35 pm 

DHD wrote:
Train strike Saturday. That's awkward. To drive, you need to add ULEZ and Congestion charges. It's all becoming quite difficult - and expensive - to watch a match live.

Funny you should mention this but I’m literally having the same conversation right now with someone. A base service is still running but last train out of London for me is 6.20 which will probably be stacked but if kick off is delayed we’ll be screwed and it’s cutting it a bit fine. Working out if we should drive or not.

I understand and agree with the reasons for the strikes but have to say it’s all getting a bit boring. It’s affecting every game now. As a consumer we deserve better this, we pay a fortune in train fares in the UK. Was In NL recently and their fares are literally 1/6th the cost of ours for comparative distances. The government need to get round the table with the RMT union and fix this. The public is being let down massively. There’s more than enough money in the fares to run an effective service and pay people properly. National disgrace

Post #555381  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:59 pm 

Nicolas Pépé at Arsenal:
112 games, 27 goals, 21 assists

Sancho and Antony at Man United:
127 games, 20 goals, 9 assists

I’m not saying Pépé has been a success for us, far from it but he’s not in the same conversation as Sancho and Anthony! But many will consider Pépé the bigger flop.

I think part of this is because we rarely spend that kind of money. Man U and Chelsea have 6-7 or so signings at that £70m+ range so even though they are similar money the club record signing gets more scrutiny than just another £70m signing.

Maguire, Pogba, Lukaku (both teams), Kepa, Mudryk, Fofana,

Post #555382  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:57 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think Arteta is just getting more players used to playing different positions so that we have more cover throughout the season. Whether that be fresh players from the bench or moving less tired players into other positions to give the mainstay a break. Or easier adjustments when a players gets sent off. We saw how much we missed with the Saliba injury last year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gabriel start and Saliba get a rest vs Fulham. .

I hope dearly you are right but like I’ve said I fear the worst here as something doesn’t ring true. Not start your best defender in the air at Selhurst park ? Just doesn’t ring true to me. By all means at home to forest but Palace away is always a tough fixture.

Was just listening to arseblog and I agree with what gunnerblog said from around the minute 5 mark

https://youtu.be/XCeYPQM0ONg?si=AWWgZVp_lyBWrYDB

Post #555383  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:12 pm 

West Ham look like they’ll spend the £100m Rice money on, Ward-Prowse, Alvarez and Kudus. All good signings and should keep them well away from the relegation zone this season.
Mavropanos in as well.
They might still lose Pacqueta to City, and they still feel light and lacking quality at striker and full backs

Post #555384  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:15 pm 

City have bid €50m for Matheus Nunez from Wolves. Central midfielder. Plus probably have gone somewhere bigger than Wolves from Sporting were it not for the Mendes and Portugal connection. Don’t think he’s better than what Man City have but he gives them depth

Post #555385  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:43 am 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Shame.

Perhaps Arteta is using these relatively easier games to test out his plans for the team. Gab should be back for the tougher games.

Post #555386  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:44 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not just Tomiyasu, Arsenal in general takes a long time for throw-ins. Add White to the list.

Post #555387  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 am 

gooner7 wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Not just Tomiyasu, Arsenal in general takes a long time for throw-ins. Add White to the list.

Agreed. Players are not making themselves available for receiving throws and I had no problem with the booking. It really annoys me when one player gets the ball, then decides to give it to another player. It drives me up the wall when opponents do it so I get annoyed with our blokes doing it as well. We are on notice now, so lets address it rather than whinge about it.

Post #555388  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:13 am 

It seems like our transfer incomings are probably done, certainly in terms of 1st team starters. Maybe a loan of a back-up defensive player.

The loss of Timber seems like a body blow because he gave us real quality and options.

Obviously Rice is a potential gamechanger but it does feel like the loss of Timber leaves us a little bit short of where we wanted to be. No real competition or rotation option for Saka either (unless Arteta is toying with bringing in Nwaneri or one of the other youngsters at some point).

Post #555389  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:02 am 

Captain Tom, Paddington, Prigozhin, all doing laps in heaven. sleep well sweet prince

Post #555390  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:13 am 

socrates wrote:
It seems like our transfer incomings are probably done, certainly in terms of 1st team starters. Maybe a loan of a back-up defensive player.

I think it genuinely depends on who leaves, what positions and their prices. For example say we sell Rob holding, KT, Tavares and Cédric. ( very possible and certainly 2 will be gone) then what is your carabao cup and fa cup starting defence ?

Tomiyasu
Kiwior
White
Plus somebody else out of position ? (Otherwise you will have to use saliba or big gab)

That doesn’t scream strength in depth and enough to genuinely compete in 4 competitions to me and you are asking 2 players in the 11 to play a lot of matches. Then what if an injury hits

The 2 I’d suggest would be key are Holding and Tierney. 2 senior pros. If they go I think you might see another one come in to beef up the numbers

Artetas comment about having a squad of 25 being essential is interesting. Worth taking a look at the squad and removing the players you think we will sell and seeing what the number is after (over to you Rich :laughing7: )

Post #555391  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:55 am 

Anyone know if the Tube is running on Saturday?

Post #555392  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:09 am 

Decaf wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

If that is the case, I would like to see a bit more rotation of the front three. I would be seriously tempted to give Emile Smith Rowe or Nelson good minutes against Fulham. If not a start, 30 minutes at least.

I would too but with Havertz, less so Rice, still getting in the groove it’s probably a bit early to start chucking in Smith Rowe. Would love to see him get some time though because he has a lot of drive forward with good understanding of players around him.

Post #555393  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 am 

socrates wrote:

The loss of Timber seems like a body blow because he gave us real quality and options.

Obviously Rice is a potential gamechanger but it does feel like the loss of Timber leaves us a little bit short of where we wanted to be. No real competition or rotation option for Saka either (unless Arteta is toying with bringing in Nwaneri or one of the other youngsters at some point).

Im actually less concerned about Timber than most because he barely got into the team so we haven’t got used to whatever extra he was offering. Tomiyasu getting sent off was unfortunate but he strikes me as someone smart enough to provide cover for zinchenko or a more defensive option in the left when needed.

Agree that Saka is still almost irreplaceable and think we’ll see at Trossard over there at some point.

Post #555394  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:21 am 

I love these videos of the old boys getting together and chatting. For me its not really an interview but old mates chatting. I love seeing the unity, brotherhood, mutual respect. I imagine they can visit each others home and are treated like family.

I know its that way with the teammates I had growing up.

Post #555395  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:49 pm 

Very interesting interview. At least to me.

Post #555396  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:59 pm 

This is insane!!

I never knew about Leeds being robbed out of a European cup final till I saw a headline in a video. How many other blatant robberies were they?
This though is a travesty.

Post #555397  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm 

Mike Dean on the Romero hair pull penalty on Cucurella he didn’t give as VAR ref last season….
"I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view. I didn’t want to send Anthony up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I didn’t want any more grief than he already had"

That is ridiculous. And why would any current ref not be thinking and doing similar on occasion.

Post #555398  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mike Dean on the Romero hair pull penalty on Cucurella he didn’t give as VAR ref last season….
"I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view. I didn’t want to send Anthony up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I didn’t want any more grief than he already had"

That is ridiculous. And why would any current ref not be thinking and doing similar on occasion.

Literally admitting the decisions are based on personal relationships

Post #555399  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:50 pm 

The KT loan is *%^@*** pointless as even if they pay a fee and his wages they won’t sign him permanently and neither will he want to go there after a season. Then they will bring in some Spaniard at half the price and the process starts again. Even madder is we will probably be missing a more natural left back in a few weeks or months.

The reason we can’t sell these players is they are totally ostracised from the first team even from making sub appearances so other teams wonder why. No way is KT not good enough to start for West Ham or a team like Brentford. He would be their star player. *%^@*** hell West Ham think mark Noble is a genius.

Balogun sold to balance the books but if we sell big gab too then really a good transfer window that was promising drops to below average

Post #555400  Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Literally admitting the decisions are based on personal relationships

Here is a link to the story.
https://theathletic.com/4804299/2023/08 ... r-chelsea/

The whole story smells. On one hand he says he missed the hair pull and then goes on to say he did not send Taylor to look at the replay because he was having a bad day. So he did see the hair pull?? That does not sit together. He must never be allowed to ref or VAR again. Anything less is a travesty.

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13882, 13883, 13884, 13885, 13886, 13887, 13888 ... 14084  Next