Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie and 293 guests

Post #536841  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm 

As great as Liverpool is playing and as bad as Leeds is playing, I'm far more concerned about us beating Leeds than Liverpool beating spurs.

Post #536842  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
I can feel the pain of the City players. 2 up with only minutes to play, and they eventually lose. The defence must be kicking themselves for switching off during this time, not once, but twice. And that wasn't a penalty. He got the ball first. Guess RM is like Utd in EPL, they get the calls they want.

I don’t feel their pain at all. They checked in to the good ship petrosmeg, have unlimited dollars to spend on players and couldn’t hold a 2 goal lead with minutes remaining. Lol

And I think RM may have a better chance of turning over Liverpool which would be a double bonus. :toothy9:

I don't feel their pain either. Bollocks to them.

Post #536843  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I don’t feel their pain at all. They checked in to the good ship petrosmeg, have unlimited dollars to spend on players and couldn’t hold a 2 goal lead with minutes remaining. Lol

And I think RM may have a better chance of turning over Liverpool which would be a double bonus. :toothy9:

Exactly. How tantilising to see Ancelotti chomping down on a cigar again if he wins the CL final. :laughing7:

Post #536844  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:01 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

:1laughter:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #536845  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:03 pm 

Absolute scenes at Ibrox. Rangers Frankfurt Europa final. Brilliant for Rangers. They’re celebrating as if they’ve won it though, which as we know is a heinous crime…

Post #536846  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:18 pm 

West Ham knocked out tonight, perhaps their players were knackered after Moyes decided to play most of his first choice against us in the league (and we beat them anyway) - very strange squad management for their biggest game in years.

West Ham's league position is such that they are battling for Europa or Europa conference league they ad such a tiny, tiny chance of still making CL via their league when they played us. Surely they had to go for broke to win the Europa, especially when you consider some of the very big names that have been in the latter stages of Europa recently, with all due respect to the final 4 this year, it was quite weak in comparison to the previous 4-5 years

Post #536847  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 pm 

Ash wrote:
Absolute scenes at Ibrox. Rangers Frankfurt Europa final. Brilliant for Rangers. They’re celebrating as if they’ve won it though, which as we know is a heinous crime…

Rangers have beaten Dortmund (2nd in the Bundesliga) in an earlier round and Leipzig (5th in the Bundesliga) in the semi-final tonight. Frankfurt are 11th in the Bundesliga. What’s the betting they balls it up against the weakest German side they’ve faced in this season’s Europa League?

Post #536848  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
West Ham knocked out tonight, perhaps their players were knackered after Moyes decided to play most of his first choice against us in the league (and we beat them anyway) - very strange squad management for their biggest game in years.

West Ham's league position is such that they are battling for Europa or Europa conference league they ad such a tiny, tiny chance of still making CL via their league when they played us. Surely they had to go for broke to win the Europa, especially when you consider some of the very big names that have been in the latter stages of Europa recently, with all due respect to the final 4 this year, it was quite weak in comparison to the previous 4-5 years

Cresswell was sent off after 20 minutes when the tie was very much in the balance. That changed it completely. Moyes has done an absolutely brilliant job since he came back to West Ham.

Post #536849  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Cresswell was sent off after 20 minutes when the tie was very much in the balance. That changed it completely. Moyes has done an absolutely brilliant job since he came back to West Ham.

Moyes was red carded as well for what looked like kicking a ball away, then saying something mouthy of sorts.

Post #536850  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:00 am 

Tories routed in the London councils, *%^@*** good job.

Rest of the country should hang its head.

Post #536851  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:03 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

One can understand why Moyes when in full strength against Arsenal. It's a home game, Arsenal have been a bit wobbly, and he doesn't want to fall too far behind United in the race for 6th (sadly what transpired). He doesn't want to put all his eggs in one basket, especially when needing to go and win away in Germany.

A really tough call.

Post #536852  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:37 am 

Decaf wrote:
dec wrote:

One can understand why Moyes when in full strength against Arsenal. It's a home game, Arsenal have been a bit wobbly, and he doesn't want to fall too far behind United in the race for 6th (sadly what transpired). He doesn't want to put all his eggs in one basket, especially when needing to go and win away in Germany.

A really tough call.

If next year we find ourselves in the same position, I would not be happy if Arteta played a weak team against Westham and gifted them the game. Obviously others will embrace such tactics.

Post #536853  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:43 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'm not denying that Moyes has done a brilliant job but he got this one wrong.

Post #536854  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:43 am 

Arteta has signed a new contract until 2025

Post #536855  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:44 am 

Arteta signs a new deal.

Quite right too. The right guy to take us forward.

Looking forward to watching all the Orcs lose the plot about it.

Post #536856  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:07 am 

Btw I think for once that’s actually solid stewardship by the kroenkes. They believe they have the right man to take the club forward and don’t want to listen to the nonsense from the Orcs in our fanbase in the event we lose at white hart lane and finish 5th or 6th. Everyone can see our progress, it’s evident on the pitch.

I still expect the calls for the managers head in the event of a loss at white hart lane. People live in fantasy land.

Regardless of our finishing position if we can have a strong summer window then next year will be an exciting prospect. I’ll be renewing my season ticket that’s for sure (might speak to the club to see if they can move the position though)

Post #536857  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:12 am 

Rich wrote:

Too early IMO. As I said lets see there we are at the end of the season. Too late now. They probably rewarded him for his man-management skills.

But Klopp got a long period to prove himself. I think a CL after 4 years and EPL title after 5 years. As long as he matches this no problems.

Post #536858  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Too early IMO. As I said lets see there we are at the end of the season. Too late now. They probably rewarded him for his man-management skills.

But Klopp got a long period to prove himself. I think a CL after 4 years and EPL title after 5 years. As long as he matches this no problems.

I take it that you’re not a fan of Arteta then.

Post #536859  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:39 am 

So if he finishes 4th he gets to stay, 5th he has to leave. Seems a Bit brittle to me :laughing7:

Did anyone genuinely believe we would be in the top 4 with 4 games to go at the start of the season?

Anyone ? Nope me neither.

Post #536860  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
So if he finishes 4th he gets to stay, 5th he has to leave. Seems a Bit brittle to me :laughing7:

Did anyone genuinely believe we would be in the top 4 with 4 games to go at the start of the season?

Yes I felt we had a decent chance of doing so when at or near the beginning of the season I listed our squad name by name. If we fail to I feel it will be down to a disappointing January transfer window.

Post #536861  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'm of the opinion that the timing is very good. Just before a crucial run in and showing confidence in the project moving forward irrespective of whether we exceed everyone's expectations this year and get in the Champions League.
At the start of the season most experts we're absolutely clear the top 4 was a closed shop and Arsenal would be lucky to finish top 6.
What has actually happened is City and Liverpool have been miles in front, Chelsea are poorer than everyone thought but have enough to get top 4, Man U have been absolutely woeful, Arsenal and Spurs have been better than most expected (and not just because Man U have been poor, the likely points totals will stack up against 4th place in previous years). Also Leicester have been weaker than most predicted as many had them above Arsenal again.

Post #536862  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes I felt we had a decent chance of doing so when at or near the beginning of the season I listed our squad name by name. If we fail to I feel it will be down to a disappointing January transfer window.

I'd agree with the second part, but if we put our squad name by name against the Man U squad at the start of the season without knowing what we know now I don't think many would have backed Arsenal. Man U signed Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo they were meant to be title challengers.

Post #536863  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Really. Well you were on your own because barely a single pundit thought we would get near it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58141017

Agree about January. A couple of acquisitions could have made the difference

Post #536864  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Really. Well you were on your own because barely a single pundit thought we would get near it.

All that means is I’m more knowledgeable than many pundits.

Post #536865  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:05 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'd agree with the second part, but if we put our squad name by name against the Man U squad at the start of the season without knowing what we know now I don't think many would have backed Arsenal. Man U signed Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo they were meant to be title challengers.

I’m not arguing that I’d have been in a minority. Perhaps a small one. But I suggest I have a superior perception of the quality of Arsenal’s players than many pundits.

Post #536866  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
The Mirror today gave its prediction for each club’s final position at the end of the Premier League season. It was:

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Manchester United
5. Leicester City
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Arsenal
8. Everton
9. Aston Villa
10. Leeds United
11. West Ham United
12. Newcastle United
13. Wolverhampton Wanderers
14. Brighton and Hove Albion
15. Southampton
16. Burnley
17. Norwich City
18. Crystal Palace
19. Brentford
20. Watford

Overall I suppose it’s a decent decent bit of guesswork although myself, I expect Chelsea to come second rather than Liverpool.

I see Norwich without Buendia as more likely to go down than Crystal Palace, so I’d certainly swap them around. I also think Leicester will struggle to come fifth. If Tottenham keep Kane I expect them to finish above Leicester. If they lose Kane, call me hopelessly over-optimistic but on the assumption there will be some new arrivals at Arsenal (hopefully including Ødegaard), I wouldn’t completely write off our chances of finishing above Leicester and Tottenham to come fifth.

August 12 feels like a long time ago, Bernard. I don't remember you suggesting we should/could/might finish fourth, but no doubt the posts are out there...

Post #536867  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Or you just changed your mind mid season when things looked up

Post #536868  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw I think for once that’s actually solid stewardship by the kroenkes.

Or is that becoming the norm?

Post #536869  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Although, if we do get fourth*, you have to say that the gamble, albeit slightly reckless, paid off brilliantly. We'll be very well positioned for the window.

*Touch wood

Post #536870  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

We only become knowledgeable by learning from our mistakes and allowing our minds to change in the face of evidence.

Post #536871  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Although, if we do get fourth*, you have to say that the gamble, albeit slightly reckless, paid off brilliantly. We'll be very well positioned for the window.

*Touch wood

Yes I think the club prioritised it’s long term future regardless of the outcome. Got 18 million off its wage books from aubameyang alone. (Apparently Barca want rid now too) Thats 18 million we can spend this summer.

I think an exciting summer is in prospect

Post #536872  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:11 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We only become knowledgeable by learning from our mistakes and allowing our minds to change in the face of evidence.

Yeah no probs just don’t admit you haven’t changed your mind.

Post #536873  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:32 pm 

I've seen a lot of pundit reaction to Arsenal fans saying we hounded Wenger out for finishing top 4 each season and said it wasn't good enough, and now we're celebrating trying to get top 4. It misses the point spectacularly. Wenger was clearly on a downward trajectory finishing 5th then 6th in his final two seasons but crucially the club was content with finishing 4th and showed no ambition to push on from that. I think it was that that the fans were angry about.

No the reset button has been hit, we've shown some humility and admitted mistakes (this is a big thing holding Man U back right now in my opinion) and have built a a team with the youngest squad and manager in the league that shows tremendous promise. The connection between the matchday fans and the team has never been this good for 15 years. The fans have also realised that you don't get from where we were to where we want to be in a short time, so small successes and targets achieved should be celebrated but also pushed on from.

Post #536874  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:41 pm 

Arteta: "The club offered me the contract when we lost three matches ... That doesn't happen in football." "I got emotional when I saw it. That tells me, 'These guys are serious.'

Post #536875  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:44 pm 

8 episodes of the Amazon documentary hitting screen in late summer. It will be utterly fascinating viewing. If they did one when Wenger was at his peak I think it might focus more on the players because Wenger would probably have been quite quiet, thoughtful and even aloof. This one I think will focus heavily on Arteta, he's emotional, especially during games and that will be gold dust to the documentary team

Post #536876  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:49 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1522 ... CRKfp-WBsg

Arteta and Jonas having a chat. Interesting (Jonas also signed an extension to his contract for the Arsenal women's team)

Post #536877  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The Mirror today gave its prediction for each club’s final position at the end of the Premier League season. It was:

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Manchester United
5. Leicester City
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Arsenal
8. Everton
9. Aston Villa
10. Leeds United
11. West Ham United
12. Newcastle United
13. Wolverhampton Wanderers
14. Brighton and Hove Albion
15. Southampton
16. Burnley
17. Norwich City
18. Crystal Palace
19. Brentford
20. Watford

Overall I suppose it’s a decent decent bit of guesswork although myself, I expect Chelsea to come second rather than Liverpool.

I see Norwich without Buendia as more likely to go down than Crystal Palace, so I’d certainly swap them around. I also think Leicester will struggle to come fifth. If Tottenham keep Kane I expect them to finish above Leicester. If they lose Kane, call me hopelessly over-optimistic but on the assumption there will be some new arrivals at Arsenal (hopefully including Ødegaard), I wouldn’t completely write off our chances of finishing above Leicester and Tottenham to come fifth.

August 12 feels like a long time ago, Bernard. I don't remember you suggesting we should/could/might finish fourth, but no doubt the posts are out there...

They are. I listed our squad quite near the beginning of the season. I’m surprised you don’t remember me doing it.

Post #536878  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No it was around the start of the season. Not that far into it anyway. I listed the squad and said words to the effect it should be capable of fighting for fourth place.

My guess is because I felt people were being too negative about our players.

Post #536879  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No it was around the start of the season. Not that far into it anyway. I listed the squad and said words to the effect it should be capable of fighting for fourth place.

My guess is because I felt people were being too negative about our players.

No you said it shouldn’t be ruled out we could finish 5th meaning you thought it more probable we finish lower.

Post #536880  Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

They are. I listed our squad quite near the beginning of the season. I’m surprised you don’t remember me doing it.

I'm impressed that you think I'd remember a post you made in August/September last year. Most days, I can barely remember my own name.

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13419, 13420, 13421, 13422, 13423, 13424, 13425 ... 14061  Next