Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 277 guests

Post #530841  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:46 am 

Darren wrote:
As an aside, if AMN is leaving next month then you have to think we have a CM lined up. With Partey and Elneny at the ACN, leaving us only Xhaka and Lokonga is too thin.

Especially since Xhaka is our player most likely to collect a red card.

Post #530842  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:28 am 

Yes the AMN thing is a bit odd. Especially considering the difficulties in keeping players on the pitch with covid right now.

The press have been suggesting we are interested in loaning Arthur from juve who fell out of favour there. Might make sense but it feels like someone is coming in for us to contemplate it right now

Post #530843  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:34 am 

The spurs game on January 16 will be huge. It’s one of those games where a draw would be an excellent result due to the circumstances at play. Need to get something there

Post #530844  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 am 

10/10 to Xhaka.

EDIT: Make that 11/10.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... -City.html

Post #530845  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:42 am 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59797781

:1cry:

Post #530846  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The spurs game on January 16 will be huge. It’s one of those games where a draw would be an excellent result due to the circumstances at play. Need to get something there

Unless it’s made behind closed doors it’ll be my first game at their new ground. I must have been to White Hart Lane more times than many if not most Tottenham fans. But have yet to see a match at the new stadium. Passed it in my car, and I have to admit it looks very impressive from the outside.

Post #530847  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes the AMN thing is a bit odd. Especially considering the difficulties in keeping players on the pitch with covid right now.

The press have been suggesting we are interested in loaning Arthur from juve who fell out of favour there. Might make sense but it feels like someone is coming in for us to contemplate it right now

Seen his name mentioned a few times.

Post #530848  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:44 am 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59797714

Wolves off.

Post #530849  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:55 am 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59797714

Wolves off.

Confirmed on Arsenal.com too.

Post #530850  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

It is odd, TG, and apparently it could be a loan with an £8m option to buy.

I know he's not a first team regular but he is an england international and £8m seems on the low side. I would have thought at least £12m.

We don't seem great at this selling lark. We are practically giving Mavropanos away (£3m is daylight robbery), Guendouzi is being talked about as a 30m euros player now and we are getting about £10m for him. That would be 3 young international footballers sold for £20m, not exactly squeezing every last drop out of the buying clubs are we.

Post #530851  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:43 am 

Great confidence boosting win yesterday. Norwich are probably the worst side we will face away from home but we put them to the sword in ruthless and stylish fashion.

Saka and Ødegaard were brilliant, Tierney back to his best although I am not sure his overlapping is the optimum way to play without a recognised CF to get on the end of his crosses. Martinelli's energy and tracking back is elite. Emile Smith Rowe looks hungry for goals.

I would love to see the four musketeers Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard and Emile Smith Rowe as the attacking fulcrum going forward but I suspect we will eventually purchase an out and out CF.

Overall we are in a very nice position now. I'd love to see a couple of additions in Jan.

Post #530852  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
10/10 to Xhaka.

Fantastic gesture from Xhaka :58big-emoticons:

Post #530853  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:55 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I suspect that’s the reason we use this forum more than some of the others. Any Arsenal manager, and player, will get criticism here. But I do believe the criticism levelled at individuals here is often based on some rational thought. Sure, there are exceptions. But some of the stuff I’ve seen about Arteta on other chat rooms appear solely based on pathological hatred more than anything.

I accept online criticism is part of the internet and social media age. But overall, I think the moans and groans you find here are less extreme or more polite than elsewhere, and mostly at least nods its head in the general direction of logical opinion.

Spot on, there's more of a general balance here overall.

I think we're looking a real team at the moment. This definitely feels more like a Geroge Graham type evolution than a Wenger one. Arteta inherited a team with cliques, egos, some bad apples and some overpaid, underperforming stars. Like George, he's been lucky to inherent a fantastic core of young players emerging but has added some shrewd signings to the squad.

I was so pissed off after the Utd and Everton games as I felt we really shot ourselves in the foot and were the masters of our own undoing. Having said that, I still feel top 4 may be a bit beyond us this year. I hope I'm wrong but I think unless we can start nicking some points from the sides above us and around us more regularly, then top 6 is more realistic for this season.

As an aside, if AMN is leaving next month then you have to think we have a CM lined up. With Partey and Elneny at the ACN, leaving us only Xhaka and Lokonga is too thin.

The midfield is still a bit of a concern, and the competition for top four will be intense, but I've just got a feeling about this team ...

Post #530854  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
10/10 to Xhaka.

Class. Xhaka's heart is in right place, even if his brain isn't always.

Can't wait for the City game.

Post #530855  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:18 pm 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/n ... ep-259805/

Very nice of Mr & Mrs Leno :58big-emoticons:

Post #530856  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
That said for some reason there’s a hardcore element in our fanbase mostly online that seem to hate our manager for some reason and he will never win them over. After even the most minor setback you get people calling for the managers head. I just don’t get it and can’t work out what it is about Arteta that some people don’t like. I noticed an ex forumite on twitter earlier having a row with one of these types.

I suspect that’s the reason we use this forum more than some of the others. Any Arsenal manager, and player, will get criticism here. But I do believe the criticism levelled at individuals here is often based on some rational thought. Sure, there are exceptions. But some of the stuff I’ve seen about Arteta on other chat rooms appear solely based on pathological hatred more than anything.

I accept online criticism is part of the internet and social media age. But overall, I think the moans and groans you find here are less extreme or more polite than elsewhere, and mostly at least nods its head in the general direction of logical opinion.

I agree a lot you have said here.

I think you used a great word there in pathological. Really the perfect way to describe it

Gunnerblog is worth a follow on twitter and he’s absolutely riled up some of these types with some comments yesterday. Glorious

https://twitter.com/gunnerblog/status/1 ... 56132?s=21

Post #530857  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Zed wrote:
Wolves game off with Arsenal due to Covid/injuries within the Wolves side.

It's from the Athletic.

Well halleluhah ..... that's a relief . Praise God , Allah , Vishnu , Jupiter , Bhudda , Zeus and Thor .

Now my good friend Soc can stop agonising ..... No more waking up in a lather of sweat , twisted / soiled sheets , costly trips to his shrink .

:14laughter: Nice one Kiwi.

Post #530858  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Given the billions of words and opinions expressed about football in general and Arsenal in particular it would be quite remarkable to say something original although Bernard does tend to be off-field. :toothy9:

We’re all more than happy to have you on board. Think of it as Arsenal mates having a chat down the pub.

Must admit I didn’t know what ‘off-field’ meant. My initial assumption was that it refers to views that are something out of the ordinary, although I’m not really sure why mine are.

But I looked ‘off-field’ up and it apparently refers to sportsmen (and no doubt sportswomen) whose behaviour off the field makes their success in sport unlikely. The example given was George Best, although equally relevant will be the likes of Paul Merson, Paul Gascoigne, Tony Adams and countless others. So now I’m even more puzzled how the term ‘off-field’ applies to me.

I think Long Time Gooner aka Mrs Malaprop .... meant .............out of the " left " field

Post #530859  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'd rather drink half a gallon of rat poison and battery acid before that happened .

Sounds immeasurably more pleasant than drinking Liebfraumilch.

Very , very surprised the infamous NZ Sauvignon Blanc didn't get the mention as the vile alternative . A change in taste .....?

Post #530860  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:29 pm 

For those unfamiliar with the "left field" terminology meaning...

If you say that someone or something has come out of left field or is out in left field, you mean that they are untypical, unusual, or strange in some way. The question came out of left field, but Mary Ann wasn't really surprised.

Post #530861  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:36 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Sounds immeasurably more pleasant than drinking Liebfraumilch.

Very , very surprised the infamous NZ Sauvignon Blanc didn't get the mention as the vile alternative . A change in taste .....?

Had a chat with a fellow wine fan who convinced me New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is ultra consistent. The thing is, it’s consistently unpleasant.

Post #530862  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Had a chat with a fellow wine fan who convinced me New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is ultra consistent. The thing is, it’s consistently unpleasant.

When you and your "wine fellows " are holding forth about this and that , little fingers rigidly at the horizontal . taking a micro sip now and then in between sniffing the fumes ,

simpering ............ "Oh I say Reginald , Cecil , Bernard , Bartholomew , ...... "this really is a damn fine vintage "

I didn't think it mattered a monkey's about taste .......... as long as it came from a bottle with a moth eaten label and a ton of dust on it .

Post #530863  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
azinoz wrote:
A merry Christmas to you too Judith along with warrior who for all these years has kept a promise to a friend although from recent reports is being extremely well paid.

Also a big thanks to all the regular posters on here that help fulfil my daily Arsenal information dependence. I would like to be more part of the discussion but alas I am terrified of public speaking.

Far be it for me to discourage anyone from posting. I recognize your screen name and you have been on here a fairly long time.
You already know the various personalities and such on here.
I can only assume you learn from others experiences. :toothy9:

You will or won't when you feel it. People will advise you based on their forum standing, etc.

As the kids say in America 'do you'.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Thanks for the advice AG but to be perfectly honest I’m not too sure what you’re trying to say. Anyway I have never had a problem with your posts in fact I find it quite satisfying that Arsenal can attract committed fans from other parts of the world and especially in countries where football isn’t the number one sport. However I have to say that I don’t believe for one second that you’ve blocked all the posters that you’re credited with.

And a happy and safe new year to you

Post #530864  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:53 pm 

United losing at half time.

Can’t see Newcastle not conceding but might not let 2 in.

Post #530865  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Rooting for the barcodes obviously, but expecting them to blow it in the second half.

Post #530866  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:10 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Rooting for the barcodes obviously, but expecting them to blow it in the second half.

Wilson’s calf looked like it blew up :16surprise: He’s had a goal ruled out for offside and looked as likely as anyone to get a goal. Shame as he’s a good striker but never seems able to go for long without breaking down. Long list of players like that. What could have been.

Post #530867  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:19 pm 

Ash wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Wilson’s calf looked like it blew up :16surprise: He’s had a goal ruled out for offside and looked as likely as anyone to get a goal. Shame as he’s a good striker but never seems able to go for long without breaking down. Long list of players like that. What could have been.

Yes Ash the bloke can't stay fit. Decent player as you say.

Post #530868  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:25 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Must admit I didn’t know what ‘off-field’ meant. My initial assumption was that it refers to views that are something out of the ordinary, although I’m not really sure why mine are.

But I looked ‘off-field’ up and it apparently refers to sportsmen (and no doubt sportswomen) whose behaviour off the field makes their success in sport unlikely. The example given was George Best, although equally relevant will be the likes of Paul Merson, Paul Gascoigne, Tony Adams and countless others. So now I’m even more puzzled how the term ‘off-field’ applies to me.

I think Long Time Gooner aka Mrs Malaprop .... meant .............out of the " left " field

That would probably be it. :sign19:

Post #530869  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 pm 

after all the bluster we are now just waiting for the united winner.

Post #530870  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:47 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes Ash the bloke can't stay fit. Decent player as you say.

Oof, now St.Maximan pulls up with what looks like a hamstring problem. Newcastle holding on for the last 10-15! Come on you moneybags! The Newcastle moneybags not the Manchester moneybags!! It’s sport at its purest.

Post #530871  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
after all the bluster we are now just waiting for the united winner.

Yep. Geordies hit the post but you know what's coming.

Post #530872  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:00 pm 

Wow draw.

Why is it important ? Means even if united win their games in hand they won’t go above us.

Post #530873  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:00 pm 

Well, didn't expect that but the Saudi's grab a point. Good result for us.

Post #530874  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:21 pm 

Zed wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Well halleluhah ..... that's a relief . Praise God , Allah , Vishnu , Jupiter , Bhudda , Zeus and Thor .

Now my good friend Soc can stop agonising ..... No more waking up in a lather of sweat , twisted / soiled sheets , costly trips to his shrink .

:14laughter: Nice one Kiwi.

Thanks Zed ...no prizes for guessing what you got for Xmas after your left field explanation

..... the latest Oxford Comprehensive Lexicon and Thesaurus ....?

Post #530875  Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:33 pm 

Telling you right now there’s a solid chance of us getting fourth. Spurs play Brighton Leicester and Burnley for their games in hand. I can’t see them winning all those 3 and if we are still in touching distance of united come march we will have a real shot as their fixtures are really difficult in that period.

We have to get something at white hart lane which will be tough for our young side. Maybe a bit much too soon.

Post #530876  Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:42 am 

azinoz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Far be it for me to discourage anyone from posting. I recognize your screen name and you have been on here a fairly long time.
You already know the various personalities and such on here.
I can only assume you learn from others experiences. :toothy9:

You will or won't when you feel it. People will advise you based on their forum standing, etc.

As the kids say in America 'do you'.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Thanks for the advice AG but to be perfectly honest I’m not too sure what you’re trying to say.

Hey Az, neither do I half the time. HAHA. There was some veiled Da Vinci Code esque speak in there somewhere.

And thanks. Up the Arsenal.

Post #530877  Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:44 am 

Decaf wrote:
:sign19:
(Kiwi borrowing Decaf's computer)

and my advice to you Young Decaf would be to keep it handy for next time you and I " cross swords " on any discussion beit politics , geology , biology , astronomy , philately , origami , geography , welding , auto repair ,

geography , football , rugby , tennis , polo , crochet etc etc etc

Post #530878  Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:45 am 

I (and the rest of us) should be enjoying this purple patch and not complain much but we wouldn't be gooners and more precisely, the SG forum if we didn't have a moan as you all say.

For me its Partey. He's playing well. He's an integral member of this squad and plays a vital role that he fulfils. My issue is that he hasn't lived up the hype he came in with and what his reputation dictates.

Not sure if its him or he's not comfortable with the role Mikel has dictated to him.

Post #530879  Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:40 am 

Hoping Soton can get the businsess done against the scum. I recall years ago, a punter at the pub in LA said to bet against the top clubs when they visit Soton. And especially the Toon because they have to travel the farthest. Distance ,he said plays a part in results more times than not. But Soton always seemed to be tough at home, not sure if they still are but I'm hoping so.

Post #530880  Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:19 am 

Newcastle should have beaten Man Utd but I'll take the dropped points.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13269, 13270, 13271, 13272, 13273, 13274, 13275 ... 14084  Next