Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 276 guests

Post #552401  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:09 pm 

West Ham using the Rice money to sign Maguire, McTominey and Ward-Prowse is so utterly predictable.

Post #552402  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:08 pm 

Wtf so West Ham go for Balogun ..

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 90525.html

But we want another 6 despite having Jorginho, rice and Partey ? Now there’s news that chelsea want lavia despite having enzo already. Where does that leave caicedo ?

Sell Balogun+ Partey for caicedo ? Is that what’s about to happen. Would be utterly crazy,

Post #552403  Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
After quite rightly sacking Lee Mason over his unbelievable error forgetting to draw the lines in our game v Brentford the PGMOL has now rehired Mason as a referee coach

They missed the mark there. They should have hired him as a fitness trainer.

Post #552404  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:09 am 

Chelsea bid £48m for Lavia from Southampton. I’d probably rather Chelsea got him that Liverpool. Liverpool need him more, Chelsea already have Enzo Fernandes for the No.6 position

Post #552405  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:04 am 

Looks like the Kane to Bayern deal has been done.

Post #552406  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 am 

DHD wrote:

it’s going to be hysterical watching them play without him.

they must have a replacement lined up surely. i wonder who they will waste the money on.

Post #552407  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:48 am 

All kicking off....
Chelsea outbid Liverpool for Lavia
Liverpool look like they are interested in Caicedo.
Caicedo preference supposedly for Chelsea.
Id prefer him to go to Chelsea who are a s***show at the moment.
He goes to Liverpool and absolutely transforms their midfield and makes them more of a threat to us.

Post #552408  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

they must have a replacement lined up surely. i wonder who they will waste the money on.

Richarlson to step up?

Oh, wait......

Post #552409  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:51 am 

I cannot believe we are in for another number 6 if Partey is staying and we all thought that was where Rice was going to play as well.
Doesn't make sense unless Partey is going and its all gone quiet on that front.
I absolutely would NOT be selling Partey.
Let them fight it out or play together in the big games.
Whole point is to increase the quality and depth not weaken it by selling a player of Partey's quality and class.

Post #552410  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Whoever it is they'll have to pay over the odds because teams know they have a pile of cash and a Kane shaped hole to fill. Maybe Jonathan David from Lille

Post #552411  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:14 am 

david.d wrote:
All kicking off....
Chelsea outbid Liverpool for Lavia
Liverpool look like they are interested in Caicedo.
Caicedo preference supposedly for Chelsea.
Id prefer him to go to Chelsea who are a s***show at the moment.
He goes to Liverpool and absolutely transforms their midfield and makes them more of a threat to us.

It would be great if Brighton held on to Caicedo for 12 more months as this time next summer I can imagine us moving on Partey and Jorginho and Elneny so we'll need another defensive mid. He's a fantastic player, Liverpool need him more than Chelsea.

Heard more rumours about us going back in for Douglas Luiz. I can't see that happening this summer, maybe next though

Post #552412  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Yeah I can't believe FFP is close enough for us for that to be a reason not to spend the £27m now. Much more likely that we've seen an opportunity to defer any purchase we make to next year's accounts (which all helps) and quite fancy a try before you buy - why wouldn't you?

Another 3 weeks of the transfer window, lots of outgoings to sort but I feel there will be one more player - a right sided forward/attacking mid to come.

Even right now Edu is putting in a 9/10 transfer window. get a quality right sided attacker and sell the unrequired players for a bit of decent money and it can be boosted to 10/10

10/10 would require a new centre forward.

Even better if we compare to what is going on at other clubs. I randomly looked up Newcastle this morning and they've moved on attackers and bought a shed load of defensive players when last year they were already defensively pretty solid. :laughing7:

Most of the others seem to have done 2/5 of f'all thus far so it's going to be a scramble over the next few weeks.

Post #552413  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Balogun :42laughter:

Post #552414  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
He made an error. He was punished. Time to move on.

I think my frustration with this is not just centred on Mason per se, more that the referees in this country are not really held to task. It is a closed shop with no incentive or desire to improve. Yes Mason lost his job, but after 6 mistakes on VAR - and he's the only one as far as I know who has lost his job through poor performance.

I do hold out hope for Howard Webb because when I hear him talk he does seem like a really good communicator and I think he cares about the standards of refereeing and making things generally better.

it is a thankless job and a really tough job and clearly the lot we have are the best we have, but when you compare it to the level of officiating in other sports it is so poor. Of course the players don't make it easy for them in a way that rugby has much more in built respect but some of the awful mistakes being made so regularly is not acceptable.

Some transparency... (just not in the moment yet)

"Webb confirmed that, following a successful trial in May, the Premier League will share the audio of VAR decisions on a monthly basis this season. It will begin in September, with the rationale behind decisions explained and mistakes discussed. Initially this will be on the 'Match Officials Mic'd Up' programme, aired via Premier League Productions."

https://www.espn.com.au/football/story/ ... days-weeks

And what's the bet that Arteta gets the first touchline ban. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #552415  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:01 pm 

Emi Buendia has torn is ASCL, I wonder if Villa push for Emile Smith Rowe again?

Post #552416  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:23 pm 

Oxlade-Chamberlain has gone to Besiktas on a free. A career blighted by injuries. In the end we did well to get £30-40m for him, whatever the final fee was. he's a player I really liked but it never worked out for him

Post #552417  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:33 pm 

Low-key but persistent murmerings that Jorginho may not be entirely happy with us. Also, whilst I really like Partey, we all know he still carries some baggage.

I think there's still plenty of time for some fairly high profile comings and goings for us, particularly in mf.

Deals like Kane start a lot of balls rolling. That £90m needs to get spent. I expect a bit of a scramble in the next couple of weeks.

Post #552418  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:56 pm 

new ref directives this year (otherwise known as actually applying the laws of the game):
yellow card for any perceived time wasting, including kicking the ball away and gk to be carded much earlier in the game
yellow card for at least 1 player when there is any perceived crowding of the referee
yellow card for anyone who touches an official
yellow card for anyway waving an imaginary yellow card
injured players receiving treatment on the pitch will have to stay off the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds after they leave the pitch
exact time for goal celebrations will be added on (ie: the moment the ball hits the net to when the game kicks off again)

Post #552419  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:23 pm 

Getting interesting....

Kane hesitating on Bayern move
Sky in Germany have backed up their English counterparts, with Bayern “aware” the striker is hesitating over the move.

The striker has previously verbally agreed to join Bayern but it is now “50/50” that he stays.

Post #552420  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:31 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think my frustration with this is not just centred on Mason per se, more that the referees in this country are not really held to task. It is a closed shop with no incentive or desire to improve. Yes Mason lost his job, but after 6 mistakes on VAR - and he's the only one as far as I know who has lost his job through poor performance.

I do hold out hope for Howard Webb because when I hear him talk he does seem like a really good communicator and I think he cares about the standards of refereeing and making things generally better.

it is a thankless job and a really tough job and clearly the lot we have are the best we have, but when you compare it to the level of officiating in other sports it is so poor. Of course the players don't make it easy for them in a way that rugby has much more in built respect but some of the awful mistakes being made so regularly is not acceptable.

"Webb confirmed that, following a successful trial in May, the Premier League will share the audio of VAR decisions on a monthly basis this season. It will begin in September, with the rationale behind decisions explained and mistakes discussed. Initially this will be on the 'Match Officials Mic'd Up' programme, aired via Premier League Productions."

In football, regardless of the game, almost all the refs are northerners and presumably speak with northern accents. Could that be one of the reasons they're not miked-up to the ground PA systems?

Post #552421  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:07 pm 

Zed wrote:
Getting interesting....

Kane hesitating on Bayern move
Sky in Germany have backed up their English counterparts, with Bayern “aware” the striker is hesitating over the move.

The striker has previously verbally agreed to join Bayern but it is now “50/50” that he stays.

I don’t think his missus wants to go. There was a story the other day about asking her first.

Post #552422  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
new ref directives this year (otherwise known as actually applying the laws of the game):
yellow card for any perceived time wasting, including kicking the ball away and gk to be carded much earlier in the game
yellow card for at least 1 player when there is any perceived crowding of the referee
yellow card for anyone who touches an official
yellow card for anyway waving an imaginary yellow card
injured players receiving treatment on the pitch will have to stay off the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds after they leave the pitch
exact time for goal celebrations will be added on (ie: the moment the ball hits the net to when the game kicks off again)

Do these rules only apply to Arsenal. I can see Ramsdale being carded at the 10 minute mark and some struggling teams keeper at the 90 minute mark when he has been time wasting since the game started.

Post #552423  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:12 pm 

Feels like the last few weeks of the transfer window are going to be a bit crazy. Makes me very glad we’ve done our main incoming business early, bed the players in and got the ground running.

I’m not sure what is crazier Man City bidding £88m for Pacqueta or West Ham rejecting it.

Post #552424  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 pm 

DHD wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

In football, regardless of the game, almost all the refs are northerners and presumably speak with northern accents. Could that be one of the reasons they're not miked-up to the ground PA systems?

:1laughter:

If it’s a couple of Geordie’s then many probably couldn’t understand them anyway.

Post #552425  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:40 am 

Liverpool are signing Caicedo for 110 million quid. British transfer record,

That’s nuts. Does someone want to moan about the Declan Rice fee now. Our early decisiveness on Rice was impressive and makes that look farcical.

Post #552426  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:27 am 

DHD wrote:
Low-key but persistent murmerings that Jorginho may not be entirely happy with us. Also, whilst I really like Partey, we all know he still carries some baggage.

I think there's still plenty of time for some fairly high profile comings and goings for us, particularly in mf.

Deals like Kane start a lot of balls rolling. That £90m needs to get spent. I expect a bit of a scramble in the next couple of weeks.

It can’t be lost on Jorginho that he won’t get many minutes. Between Rice and Partey his game time will be restricted a lot. The other issue for him is he can only play as the pivot holding midfield type where as the others seem to be able to play in both midfield positions helping their game time. Wouldn’t be a major shock to me if Jorginho went back to Italy late in the window and we signed someone like Douglas Luiz. It was strange Miguel Delaney suggesting we want another 6 as you would have thought it’s the last position we need to change, I can’t see us selling Partey now though, I think there has been a realisation how important he is. There’s definitely a few things ticking away in the background that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Post #552427  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:32 am 

It's very easy to assume this season will be like last season and its us and City. Especially so after the CS. For whatever reason, maybe past Man Utd sides' ghosts coming to haunt me, but I feel they will be right there for for most of the season, hovering around, not going away from being a challenger. The Chelsea v Liverpool game will be an early indicator. It has draw written all over it but if Liverpool wins I'm inclined to suggest they are back tentatively.

What I don't want to see from us is complacency against Forest. I don't think we'll see it as everyone has to be excited about the first game. But you never know.

I'm curious to see how Newcastle are. No one is really talking about them. They have as much money as anyone. Their only issue is talking high quality players into going there if their other option are us, Chelsea, Tottenham even.

Post #552428  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

That’s nuts. Does someone want to moan about the Declan Rice fee now. Our early decisiveness on Rice was impressive and makes that look farcical.

Good signing for them but the price is crazy. Rice is the better buy, being English adds 10-20% on any fee immediately

Liverpool have built an entire new midfield this summer. Also takes their spending to the £200m mark. I expect to hear the media say they must win the title now because of what they have spent

Post #552429  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:54 am 

Agree with DHD that there are going to be some panic buys and over payments by prem clubs in the last throes on the window. There will be a lot of money swishing around and changing hands.

I expect it will show that we’ve been shrewd by waiting for our demands to be met for our players we want to sell and ensuring we get our business done early. We want £50m for Balogun, I think we’ll get close to it and will be proven right to have turned down Inter’s £25m

Post #552430  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:00 am 

This is before the €127m euro Caicedo deal for Liverpool which would put them top of this list.
City have been rejected for Pacqueta at £88m so they will top the £200m spent.
Spurs are almost there and will then spend the Kane money

And on top of all of this we have a wage bill which is in the region of £100m per season less than Chelsea, Man U, Man C and Liverpool….people completely ignore that when looking at how much a team spends

Attachments:

Post #552431  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:17 am 

Rich wrote:
This is before the €127m euro Caicedo deal for Liverpool which would put them top of this list.

And on top of all of this we have a wage bill which is in the region of £100m per season less than Chelsea, Man U, Man C and Liverpool….people completely ignore that when looking at how much a team spends

I am not sure that our current wage bill will not be at the same level if not exceeding other teams. Last season your statement is true but look at the new deals we have done(Saliba, Saka Martinelli, Eddie) plus the new players will be on big money.

Post #552432  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:26 am 

I don’t mind Carragher as a pundit, but not when he has to comment on Liverpool - he’s far too bias

“110M is a big price for Caicedo but Liverpool had to pay big as clubs knew they were desperate.

But signing two top young players for 145M & selling two of your older players for 52M is great business!”

He’s speaking like a fan attempting to justify it but no doubt he was criticising big money signings for Liverpool’s rivals

You could just as easily say Liverpool have overpaid for a player with 1 decent season in England, and have signed two players with no European football experience or having ever played for a big club and got rid of two players who were integral to the league and CL wins. See - easy to put a negative spin on it

Post #552433  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I am not sure that our current wage bill will not be at the same level if not exceeding other teams. Last season your statement is true but look at the new deals we have done(Saliba, Saka Martinelli, Eddie) plus the new players will be on big money.

Granted the wages will have gone up and may now be on a par with those other clubs, bridging the gap is still £2m per week on wages. Raises of let’s say £100-150k per week for Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Eddie, rice at £200k, timber £100k, Havertz £200k brings us to about £1m a week added to the wage bill. Then you can take off the wages of Xhaka, Turner….and 5-6 others about to depart, I still can’t see the gap being bridged.

Also we’ve had 2-3 years of that wage bill being significantly lower than the others, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that we have a bit of money to spend. In basic terms our cheaper wage bill pretty much equalised out the CL money for any team that went deep in the competition

Post #552434  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:37 am 

Also perhaps the media can do a piece on Chelsea bungled transfer of Caicedo like they were doing with our pursuit of Rice.

Chelsea low balled the free after offer, waited and dragged their heels and eventually came up with the £100m bid that Brighton wanted and still lost out to a higher bid from Liverpool

Post #552435  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:38 am 

Let's hope the team learnt from their bad experience at Brentford two seasons back. Don't play with complacency against Forest thinking they will be a walkover.

Post #552436  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Granted the wages will have gone up and may now be on a par with those other clubs, bridging the gap is still £2m per week on wages. Raises of let’s say £100-150k per week for Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Eddie, rice at £200k, timber £100k, Havertz £200k brings us to about £1m a week added to the wage bill. Then you can take off the wages of Xhaka, Turner….and 5-6 others about to depart, I still can’t see the gap being bridged.

Also we’ve had 2-3 years of that wage bill being significantly lower than the others, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that we have a bit of money to spend. In basic terms our cheaper wage bill pretty much equalised out the CL money for any team that went deep in the competition

I am not saying we haven’t done really well over the last few years with trimming our wages. I have no idea wHat players are really on. In fact even next years financial figures will not reveal where we are with wages because the financial year does not line up with the players contract periods. New wages from 1/7 and you only have nine months of new wages for the financial year. I’m just glad I am not a financial guarantor for any football club. Will be interested in how City start the season. We need a quick positive start to the season. 5/5 would be close to expectations.

Post #552437  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Rice was in the last year of his contract so in that context our fee was high.

I agree though. I think people have lost the plot somewhat when it comes to Caicedo. He's had one good season in the PL in a team with no pressure and now he's one of the most expensive midfielders in the world. Brighton have somehow managed to cultivate an image of themselves as a modern day Ajax. It was Bissouma 12 months ago.

Post #552438  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:13 am 

Just when you think football could not get any more bonkers Liverpool suddenly find £110m down the back of the sofa and gazump Chelsea for Caicedo.

It does beg the question as to where Liverpool have sudenly found this money, without CL football and having spent the summer balking at paying Southampton £50m for Lavia.

Chelsea started this with their indiscriminate spending and set the benchmark for quality DMs at £100m. The Saudi league has just ignited this inflation further such that teams are now asking £50m for an even half decent player.

I watched a bit of Paqueta at West Ham last season and after a slow start he did OK but, as Rich pointed out, I don't know which is the more ludicrous, City offering £88m for him or West Ham turning it down.

Post #552439  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:16 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Rice was in the last year of his contract so in that context our fee was high.

I agree though. I think people have lost the plot somewhat when it comes to Caicedo. He's had one good season in the PL in a team with no pressure and now he's one of the most expensive midfielders in the world. Brighton have somehow managed to cultivate an image of themselves as a modern day Ajax. It was Bissouma 12 months ago.

Hi Dec,

Brighton have done amazingly well in the transfer market, both ins and outs. You do wonder, though, how many noses they have point out of joint with their hardnosed negotiating tactics. Will it eventually come back to bite them on the arse.

Post #552440  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:21 am 

It may seem funny to see Chelsea gazumped after they did it to us but these inflationary pressures are doing no one any favours.

It will make scouting even more important. The ability to uncover hidden gems could make or break clubs.

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13808, 13809, 13810, 13811, 13812, 13813, 13814 ... 14021  Next