Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, warrior and 273 guests

Post #537721  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
I don’t get involved much with the referee slating you get here. But apparently Paul Tierney has been appointed as the referee for the North London derby. The bad news is Arsenal have only won two of the last eight games he’s refereed us for. The good news is Tottenham have won only one of the last thirteen games he’s refereed them for.

Mike Dean on VAR for the NLD. Dean's only retiring from on field duties. Martin Atkinson and Jon Moss are to retire with Dean.

As to Tierney....

He is more prone to flash red cards in the direction of the Gunners. Two have been shown to Arteta's side since the start of 2020 while Spurs have not had any from the 41-year-old.

Post #537722  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:23 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I don’t get involved much with the referee slating you get here. But apparently Paul Tierney has been appointed as the referee for the North London derby. The bad news is Arsenal have only won two of the last eight games he’s refereed us for. The good news is Tottenham have won only one of the last thirteen games he’s refereed them for.

Mike Dean on VAR for the NLD. Dean's only retiring from on field duties. Martin Atkinson and Jon Moss are to retire with Dean.

As to Tierney....

He is more prone to flash red cards in the direction of the Gunners. Two have been shown to Arteta's side since the start of 2020 while Spurs have not had any from the 41-year-old.

Tierney was the ref who failed to send off Harry Kane for an awful tackle on Robertson in the game v Liverpool. Also refused a nailed on penalty for a push on Jota in the same game.

If we have to suffer more Mike Dean on VAR and the upside is removing Jon Moss from the game altogether it is a price well worth paying

Post #537723  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

As to Tierney....

Tierney was the ref who failed to send off Harry Kane for an awful tackle on Robertson in the game v Liverpool. Also refused a nailed on penalty for a push on Jota in the same game.

If we have to suffer more Mike Dean on VAR and the upside is removing Jon Moss from the game altogether it is a price well worth paying

They are all a walking disaster zone.

I’m unable to gauge any sense of effectiveness and which ref is worse than another anymore

I always used to hate Paul Durkin for example and Mike Riley who was just incompetent (how can he be in charge! ) however I actually found David Elleray quite fair back in the day.

Now nope. They all are horrible and any football match can go anywhere with them in charge

Post #537724  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

They are all a walking disaster zone.

I’m unable to gauge any sense of effectiveness and which ref is worse than another anymore

I always used to hate Paul Durkin for example and Mike Riley who was just incompetent (how can he be in charge! ) however I actually found David Elleray quite fair back in the day.

Now nope. They all are horrible and any football match can go anywhere with them in charge

From what I read is that Jon Moss and Martin Atkinson are to join Mike Riley at the end of the season. Not sure if Mike Dean will.

Post #537725  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

As to Tierney....

Hi Rich,

Hopefully, Mike Dean won't be near VAR end of season when he retires from on pitch duties.

Post #537726  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:58 pm 

On a quiet day here’s my thoughts on the team of the season
Alisson
Alexander-Arnold, van Dijk, Rudiger, Cancelo
Saka, Rice, De Bruyne
Salah, Mané, Son

With honourable mentions to Ramsdale, Robertson, Bowen, Gallagher, Ronaldo, Foden.

There are some other players who have been very good but haven’t played enough games to be considered

Player of the year: Salah (even though by his standards he’s been quiet for the last 2 months)
Young player of the year: Saka
Flop of the season: Lukaku….closely followed by Grealish (both based a lot on price tag and expectation) and for someone who has a big reputation already who was consistently woeful this season a strong mention for Maguire!

Post #537727  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:12 pm 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Hopefully, Mike Dean won't be near VAR end of season when he retires from on pitch duties.

I think all PL Refs are pre-qualified to serve as VAR Refs. Pays well too, I bet. Why wouldn't he?

I've often wondered why the VAR studios are at Stockley Park in West London. There are no PL Refs from London and only 1 or 2 from South of Brum. The vast majority of PL Refs are from the North. In the interest of efficiency, it'd make more sense to for the VAR base to be next to Old Trafford or Anfield - that'd mean walking or cycling distance for a fair few VAR Refs.

Post #537728  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:16 pm 

DHD wrote:
...I've often wondered why the VAR studios are at Stockley Park in West London. There are no PL Refs from London and only 1 or 2 from South of Brum. The vast majority of PL Refs are from the North. In the interest of efficiency, it'd make more sense to for the VAR base to be next to Old Trafford or Anfield - that'd mean walking or cycling distance for a fair few VAR Refs.
And easier for taking immediate instructions from their bosses...

Post #537729  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:20 pm 

Beth Meeeeeeeead.

BBC 2

Post #537730  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi Rich,

I think all PL Refs are pre-qualified to serve as VAR Refs. Pays well too, I bet. Why wouldn't he?

I've often wondered why the VAR studios are at Stockley Park in West London. There are no PL Refs from London and only 1 or 2 from South of Brum. The vast majority of PL Refs are from the North. In the interest of efficiency, it'd make more sense to for the VAR base to be next to Old Trafford or Anfield - that'd mean walking or cycling distance for a fair few VAR Refs.

Yeah, may as well just put it in the home dug outs there too.

Post #537731  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:17 pm 

DHD wrote:
Beth Meeeeeeeead.

BBC 2

Finished 3-0. Need Chelsea Women to drop points against Manchester United and us to beat West Ham to win the league.

Post #537732  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 pm 

Casemiro is another classic defensive midfielder who manages to escape bookings with alarming regularity. Every top team seems to have one.

Post #537733  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:56 pm 

High drama in Madrid. Thought they were dead and buried. Great watch.

Post #537734  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:58 pm 

City go up a goal midway 2nd half, seemed over, then RM score 2....drama.

Post #537735  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Beth Meeeeeeeead.

BBC 2

Finished 3-0. Need Chelsea Women to drop points against Manchester United and us to beat West Ham to win the league.

If Chelsea lost then I assume that if Arsenal drew then Arsenal would win on goal difference. All a bit unlikely though.

Post #537736  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:04 pm 

Remarkable collapse. It will be impressive if City manage to get out of this hole.

Post #537737  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:07 pm 

What is it with Man City in the champions league? They can be the best team, clear favourites, even play well but somehow they find a way to get knocked out when it really matters.
Spurs, Lyon, Chelsea in the final, 4 minutes to survive with a 2 goal lead tonight v Madrid.
They’re not out yet but they choke in this competition too often

Post #537738  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If Chelsea lost then I assume that if Arsenal drew then Arsenal would win on goal difference. All a bit unlikely though.

You’re right. Arsenal have the better goal difference so if Chelsea are beaten by Manchester United and we draw with West Ham, Arsenal will win the league. As you suggest it all looks a bit unlikely.

For me to want a Manchester United side of any description to avoid defeat is pretty damn rare. But their Women’s team meeting with Chelsea on Sunday is certainly one such case.

Post #537739  Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
What is it with Man City in the champions league? They can be the best team, clear favourites, even play well but somehow they find a way to get knocked out when it really matters.
Spurs, Lyon, Chelsea in the final, 4 minutes to survive with a 2 goal lead tonight v Madrid.
They’re not out yet but they choke in this competition too often

Somewhat like PSG aren’t they?

Post #537740  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:16 am 

I can feel the pain of the City players. 2 up with only minutes to play, and they eventually lose. The defence must be kicking themselves for switching off during this time, not once, but twice. And that wasn't a penalty. He got the ball first. Guess RM is like Utd in EPL, they get the calls they want.

Post #537741  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:23 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I can feel the pain of the City players. 2 up with only minutes to play, and they eventually lose. The defence must be kicking themselves for switching off during this time, not once, but twice. And that wasn't a penalty. He got the ball first. Guess RM is like Utd in EPL, they get the calls they want.

If you’re right, I hope Real Madrid get all the calls they need to win the final.

Bloody Liverpool. We’ll literally never hear the sodding end of it in England if they win the lot.

Post #537742  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am 

I'm sure City will get Haaland this summer but right now they must be regretting not going all out for Kane and spending £100m on a player they didn't really need in Grealish. In the past 3-4 years City have actually been very good in the transfer market, not so many expensive mistakes that littered the earlier years of their new money, but Grealish looks a tad wasteful and a player who thrives as being the go to man in a smaller team (possibly similar to Zaha in some respects)

Post #537743  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 am 

Cracking stat I read this morning

Of Guardiola's 11 Champions League eliminations, EIGHT have seen decisive periods that were sudden collapses/flurries of goals conceded

2010 - 2 in 13 minutes
2014 - 3 in 18
2015 - 3 in 17
2017 - 2 in 8
2018- 3 in 19
2019- 2 in 3
2020- 2 in 8
2022- 3 in 6

Post #537744  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:39 am 

The Athletic have done a piece on Arsenal captaincy and how when Aubameyang was captain it was Xhaka that the players looked to, it was Bellerin who was the players rep at the PFA and it was Leno who fulfilled many of the 'admin' tasks usually handled by captains. To be fair I've only seen the headlines and not read the full article and who knows what is really the truth but it does lead on to the captaincy for next year. All our 3 in midfield are captains for their country. My vote goes to Ødegaard. I think Xhaka naturally leads anyway and he is doing just fine without the armband

Post #537745  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:48 am 

Rich wrote:
I'm sure City will get Haaland this summer but right now they must be regretting not going all out for Kane and spending £100m on a player they didn't really need in Grealish. In the past 3-4 years City have actually been very good in the transfer market, not so many expensive mistakes that littered the earlier years of their new money, but Grealish looks a tad wasteful and a player who thrives as being the go to man in a smaller team (possibly similar to Zaha in some respects)

City has so many chances to kill the game.

A two goal lead away from home in a second leg in these games is really very vulnerable.

Post #537746  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:10 am 

Apparently Man U earned 77m euros from the champions league this season. They scraped through the group stage and got knocked out at the first KO round. That is a huge amount of money that we are playing for for this 4th place. I think we earned about 30m euros for making the Europa league final recently. The jump up is a lot

122m euros approx for Liverpool if they win it, 118m euros for getting to the final

Post #537747  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:39 pm 

2002 Vintage Bobby
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=363264635758894

Post #537748  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

What a gem he was. Sublime skills, vision and movement. My favourite Arsenal player.

Post #537749  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Sounds a rubbish idea to me.

My love affair with Arsenal because my dad and I stood on the North bank. Amazing experience

However I have to agree with you, these days it’s different. what’s the point. If the tickets carry the same price ? Really?

Does it allow us to expand the capacity of the ground ? No it actually reduces the capacity!

What’s the point. Why do it honestly

They’re all standing half the time anyway.

Post #537750  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:24 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

I don’t feel their pain at all. They checked in to the good ship petrosmeg, have unlimited dollars to spend on players and couldn’t hold a 2 goal lead with minutes remaining. Lol

And I think RM may have a better chance of turning over Liverpool which would be a double bonus. :toothy9:

Post #537751  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
The Athletic have done a piece on Arsenal captaincy and how when Aubameyang was captain it was Xhaka that the players looked to, it was Bellerin who was the players rep at the PFA and it was Leno who fulfilled many of the 'admin' tasks usually handled by captains. To be fair I've only seen the headlines and not read the full article and who knows what is really the truth but it does lead on to the captaincy for next year. All our 3 in midfield are captains for their country. My vote goes to Ødegaard. I think Xhaka naturally leads anyway and he is doing just fine without the armband

Aubameyang is a child who just wants to enjoy life .... Arteta over-rated his maturity in making him Captain

Post #537752  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm 

As great as Liverpool is playing and as bad as Leeds is playing, I'm far more concerned about us beating Leeds than Liverpool beating spurs.

Post #537753  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I don’t feel their pain at all. They checked in to the good ship petrosmeg, have unlimited dollars to spend on players and couldn’t hold a 2 goal lead with minutes remaining. Lol

And I think RM may have a better chance of turning over Liverpool which would be a double bonus. :toothy9:

I don't feel their pain either. Bollocks to them.

Post #537754  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Exactly. How tantilising to see Ancelotti chomping down on a cigar again if he wins the CL final. :laughing7:

Post #537755  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:01 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

:1laughter:

:53big-emoticons:

Post #537756  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:03 pm 

Absolute scenes at Ibrox. Rangers Frankfurt Europa final. Brilliant for Rangers. They’re celebrating as if they’ve won it though, which as we know is a heinous crime…

Post #537757  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:18 pm 

West Ham knocked out tonight, perhaps their players were knackered after Moyes decided to play most of his first choice against us in the league (and we beat them anyway) - very strange squad management for their biggest game in years.

West Ham's league position is such that they are battling for Europa or Europa conference league they ad such a tiny, tiny chance of still making CL via their league when they played us. Surely they had to go for broke to win the Europa, especially when you consider some of the very big names that have been in the latter stages of Europa recently, with all due respect to the final 4 this year, it was quite weak in comparison to the previous 4-5 years

Post #537758  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 pm 

Ash wrote:
Absolute scenes at Ibrox. Rangers Frankfurt Europa final. Brilliant for Rangers. They’re celebrating as if they’ve won it though, which as we know is a heinous crime…

Rangers have beaten Dortmund (2nd in the Bundesliga) in an earlier round and Leipzig (5th in the Bundesliga) in the semi-final tonight. Frankfurt are 11th in the Bundesliga. What’s the betting they balls it up against the weakest German side they’ve faced in this season’s Europa League?

Post #537759  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
West Ham knocked out tonight, perhaps their players were knackered after Moyes decided to play most of his first choice against us in the league (and we beat them anyway) - very strange squad management for their biggest game in years.

West Ham's league position is such that they are battling for Europa or Europa conference league they ad such a tiny, tiny chance of still making CL via their league when they played us. Surely they had to go for broke to win the Europa, especially when you consider some of the very big names that have been in the latter stages of Europa recently, with all due respect to the final 4 this year, it was quite weak in comparison to the previous 4-5 years

Cresswell was sent off after 20 minutes when the tie was very much in the balance. That changed it completely. Moyes has done an absolutely brilliant job since he came back to West Ham.

Post #537760  Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Cresswell was sent off after 20 minutes when the tie was very much in the balance. That changed it completely. Moyes has done an absolutely brilliant job since he came back to West Ham.

Moyes was red carded as well for what looked like kicking a ball away, then saying something mouthy of sorts.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13441, 13442, 13443, 13444, 13445, 13446, 13447 ... 14084  Next