Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 283 guests

Post #535841  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:32 pm 

david.d wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything less from Ashley Young who is a diving, cheating, cry baby, prat.

*%^@*** wankering prat.
Seems the new thing is to criticise us and our celebrations when we win while bigging themselves as tough oponents because we celebrate against them.
Neves young, who's next.
Absolute hypocrites.
A culmination of a hard weeks training ,sweat and tears and it all comes together with a hard thought win.. .
And we are not allowed to celebrate!!!
Idiots

Tougher than that. A culmination of three hard games in 6 days.

Post #535842  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know if anyone on the back pages have discussed the likelihood of it, but Liverpool's current form suggests its not that inconceivable they could run the table on trophies! All 4 competitions.

Has anyone done the domestic treble (league title, FA cup and League cup) in the same season?

Weird sense of deju vu here.

I'm fairly certain you asked exactly this question about a year ago and received the answer.

Googling, or a memory superior that that of a goldfish, would also supply the answer.

No, it’s just more internet equivalent verbal diarrhoea from him.

Post #535843  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:00 pm 

This *%^@*** spurs team just won't *%^@ off!!!
Kane and Son are serious threats to our top 4 hopes.
We just can't shrug them off. We lose. They win. We win they win.
West ham bloody woeful.
Draw would have been perfect.

Post #535844  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:04 pm 

Next fixtures after the break.
Spurs home to Newcastle.
Us away to.palace on the Monday.
Another tough away game for us.
Will probably be on same points by the time we play palace.

Post #535845  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:15 pm 

If they’d just mark Kane… every goal is Kane to Son.

Post #535846  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:26 pm 

This Tottenham side is very interesting. They're really good in the final third, and really poor everywhere else. Weak midfield, shaky defense, can't handle being pressed, mediocre passing...but as long as they have Kane and Son playing they're a threat to anyone.

Post #535847  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:40 pm 

Spurs have Kane and Son, their two best players for 30 years, probably 2 of the top 8 or so prem players of the last 6 years - yet even with these world class players they win nothing. Kane will still want out in the summer and Son is getting close to 30. Their status is such that no matter what money they have they won’t be able to sign players of that caliber. Spurs are also already in for £75m to make two loan deals permanent even before any summer spending starts

They are the only threat to top 4 for us. We just have to beat them to top 4. It will be a sliding doors moment for both sides if we make it

Post #535848  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:41 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Another sour grape. It was more than that, it showed the great team spirit.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Ashley Young who is a diving, cheating, cry baby, prat.

Well Young hasn't been away from Man U that long. :angel9:

Post #535849  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
This Tottenham side is very interesting. They're really good in the final third, and really poor everywhere else. Weak midfield, shaky defense, can't handle being pressed, mediocre passing...but as long as they have Kane and Son playing they're a threat to anyone.

That’s why some of us weren’t convinced it was a good idea for us to request a postponement of the original fixture for the North London derby at White Hart Lane. Kane and Son wouldn’t have been available and there’s no reason to think they won’t play in the rearranged fixture.

Obviously it’s impossible to tell what the score would have been on the original date. But I would much rather play Tottenham without Kane and Son, as would have been the case, than with them which presumably will be the case whenever the game is played.

Post #535850  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
They are the only threat to top 4 for us. We just have to beat them to top 4. It will be a sliding doors moment for both sides if we make it

To be honest I’m not as willing as you to write Manchester United’s chances off.

Post #535851  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs have Kane and Son

To be fair, that guy Own Goal is having a very good year for them as well. He's scored 7 goals this season.

Post #535852  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

That’s why some of us weren’t convinced it was a good idea for us to request a postponement of the original fixture for the North London derby at White Hart Lane. Kane and Son wouldn’t have been available and there’s no reason to think they won’t play in the rearranged fixture.

Obviously it’s impossible to tell what the score would have been on the original date. But I would much rather play Tottenham without Kane and Son, as would have been the case, than with them which presumably will be the case whenever the game is played.

I agree with that. Even taking away just one of them limits the other one a lot.

Post #535853  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:22 pm 

Conte is an excellent manager. The worry has always been can he organise them defensively to complement their outstanding forward line. Arsenal are in a very decent position but it would be foolish not to remember that our lead can be wiped out in 2 games.

Post #535854  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:24 pm 

Villa will give them problems and they will lose to Liverpool. Both games away. Chelsea, Man Utd, West Ham and spurs for us makes for a very, very dicey finish.

Post #535855  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:25 pm 

We really needed West Ham to get something out of this game. But it is what it is.

Post #535856  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 pm 

https://twitter.com/niall_mcateer/statu ... 59691?s=21

I’m not sure which but is more embarrassing, Son going down flat out on his back when the ball kicked towards him hit him or the other Spurs player (Reguillon I think) running in at 100mph trying to stick up for his mate after such an awful ‘assault’

Post #535857  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:28 pm 

Can't stand conte and the rest of those *%^@.

Really hope we stick it up them for 4th place

Post #535858  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

But what side were we able to put out if we had to? We know Ødegaard had Covid but it also seemed we had lots of injuries to key players. They were probably able to play but would have been well below match fitness and may have exacerbated a current injury. I’m not sure it would out weigh them having Son or not.

Post #535859  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pm 

[quote]
I think Lewadowski would be a resounding success for 2 seasons at least. He’s an astonishing player. I’m not sure he would match the profile of player we need in the role, I think Arteta is looking for someone who is going to cover a lot of ground and do the holding up linking role Lacazette has been doing. Ronaldo has shown no matter how good you are, you can’t do repeat sprints to premier league levels as you reach your mid 30s, but you can get goals if you have quality, as Lewa has in spades.
[/quote]

Imo Zaha could do the job and may be gettable if a deal can be done with Paddy.

Post #535860  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:59 pm 

74 Arsenal
72 Chelsea
70 Spurs
62 Man Utd
60 West Ham
How the table finishes of each team replicated last season’s results

Post #535861  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:17 pm 

Spurs play Newcastle at home before we play Palace away a 2 goal victory would put them above us.

Remaining fixtures in order without the NLD. Our game in hand is the Chelsea game.

Arsenal Spurs
Palace (a) Newcastle (h)
Brighton (h) Villa (a)
Soton (a) Brighton (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man U (h) Brentford (a)
West Ham (a) Leicester (h)
Leeds (h) Liverpool (a)
Newcastle (a) Burnley (h)
Everton (h) Norwich (a)

There is really only 2 fixtures in there where I'd say we comfortably have the easier fixture

Post #535862  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:01 pm 

Looking at Strikers for the summer and I think we should still be seriously considering Tammy Abraham. 25 goals for Roma in his debut season.
I think we were very keen on him in the summer but needed to shift Aubameyang. Such a shame that got done 6 months too late as Abraham’s price was around £40m back then

Post #535863  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs play Newcastle at home before we play Palace away a 2 goal victory would put them above us.

Remaining fixtures in order without the NLD. Our game in hand is the Chelsea game.

Arsenal Spurs
Palace (a) Newcastle (h)
Brighton (h) Villa (a)
Soton (a) Brighton (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man U (h) Brentford (a)
Leeds (h) Liverpool (a)
Everton (h) Norwich (a)

There is really only 2 fixtures in there where I'd say we comfortably have the easier fixture

Hi Rich,

Our away games are really tough. Palace, Southampton, Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle.

There will definitely be points dropped in those. Let's hope Spurs drop some as well.

Too close to call. Two bad or unlucky performances and it all changes.

Any side that puts together a decent run and has lady luck on their side could win this race, including United.

Post #535864  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:22 pm 

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/17/danny-murphy-gives-two-reasons-arsenal-wont-finish-above-spurs-16291078/?fbclid=IwAR1mWGBsi2wHJl7LGxABM0uZ0CHmHyL_a7Ac4tRoVmf__ujXnjMNYl3jP1o

Danny Murphy gives two reasons Arsenal won’t finish above Spurs in fight for fourth place

Analysing the top four picture after last night’s results, Murphy told Stadium Astro: ‘I’ve just got a feeling when I look at the fixtures, I make Arsenal the favourites but I think Tottenham might sneak in.

‘The two reasons I think they might sneak in is because Conte has always had success everywhere he’s gone. Sometimes managers don’t need to be good, they just need to be lucky and if you are good and lucky then great.

‘The other thing is Harry Kane is just hitting the straps at the right time he just looks so strong and powerful at the moment.

‘So I’ve just got a feeling Tottenham will sneak in for some reason. I hope they do as a former Tottenham player but it’s fascinating.’

Post #535865  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:23 pm 

La Liga has a tag by the score in El Clásico saying “STOP INVASION”

Attachments:

Post #535866  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:36 pm 

Aubameyang scores a great near post header, he’ll be la liga top scorer at this rate :laughing7:

Post #535867  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
But what side were we able to put out if we had to? We know Ødegaard had Covid but it also seemed we had lots of injuries to key players. They were probably able to play but would have been well below match fitness and may have exacerbated a current injury. I’m not sure it would out weigh them having Son or not.

I think it was DHD who wondered if we were exaggerating our injury problems. I suspect he, or whoever else it was, is right. Wouldn’t Tottenham have had Kane and Son out? I would much rather play them without Kane and Son as we would have done, than will them as we presumably now will do.

Post #535868  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:45 pm 

Ash wrote:
Aubameyang scores a great near post header, he’ll be la liga top scorer at this rate :laughing7:

Got another one in the second half, and a very nice assist to Torres. Could've scored two or three more with the chances he had. Looks like the old Aubameyang again, shame it all fizzled out for him at Arsenal because it's clear that it wasn't about any physical decline.

Post #535869  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:49 pm 

Are you alright over there in the old country. I understand from your leader Brexit was similar to the Ukraine war.

Post #535870  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arsenal Spurs
Palace (a) Newcastle (h)
Brighton (h) Villa (a)
Soton (a) Brighton (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man U (h) Brentford (a)
Leeds (h) Liverpool (a)
Everton (h) Norwich (a)

Hi Rich,

Our away games are really tough. Palace, Southampton, Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle.

There will definitely be points dropped in those. Let's hope Spurs drop some as well.

Any side that puts together a decent run and has lady luck on their side could win this race, including United.

How tough are our away games socrates? Palace, Newcastle and Southampton aren’t really in the relegation dogfight so will hopefully not be fighting to avoid the drop or to get into Europe. Chelsea aren’t fighting for the title and look safe for a top four place. So what will they have to play for? West Ham are fighting to get into Europe but I believe we’re comfortably better than them.

I can think of a worse set of away games we could have to finish the season. I just don’t think table positions are a reliable guide to how easy or difficult games are towards the end of the season. Take each game as it comes and hopefully it’ll work out in the end. Worrying about how difficult forthcoming games will be isn’t the best way to look at things at this point in the season. That’s for, in my view at least, the management, players and even fans.

Post #535871  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:06 am 

was Aubameyang holding back on Arteta in his last months here?

Post #535872  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:04 am 

Gerrard on Saka: He’s a good player, he’s an outstanding talent, I love him, but he can’t complain about that [physical] side... I’m sitting here now with screws in my hips, I’ve had about 16 operations,.., and that’s all off the back of earning a living in English football.

It is attitudes like this from a person highly and widely respected in English football as the reason why bad tackles will never properly be punished. I had to suffer 20 years ago so there can’t be any change and everyone else should suffer as well. What an idiotic take.

Of course Gerrard as Rangers manager called for greater protection for his players before a game v Livingstone following the previous rough encounter Rangers had with them!

Post #535873  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
was Aubameyang holding back on Arteta in his last months here?

Without doubt. It was like playing with 10 men.

Post #535874  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Gerrard on Saka: He’s a good player, he’s an outstanding talent, I love him, but he can’t complain about that [physical] side... I’m sitting here now with screws in my hips, I’ve had about 16 operations,.., and that’s all off the back of earning a living in English football.

It is attitudes like this from a person highly and widely respected in English football as the reason why bad tackles will never properly be punished. I had to suffer 20 years ago so there can’t be any change and everyone else should suffer as well. What an idiotic take.

Of course Gerrard as Rangers manager called for greater protection for his players before a game v Livingstone following the previous rough encounter Rangers had with them!

His quotes make him seem like a dinosaur:

Tyrone Mings was booked for catching Saka late with his studs, while the England man also earned numerous free-kicks before being substituted with 20 minutes to go.
Villa boss Gerrard had little sympathy, though, saying: “It’s part of the game. The last time I checked it’s not a no-contact sport. I think tackles are allowed, physicality’s allowed.
“He’s a good player, he’s an outstanding talent and I love him. But he can’t complain about that side. That’s football.
“I’m sitting here now with screws in my hips, I’ve had about 16 operations, I’m struggling to go to the gym at the moment. That’s all on the back of earning a living in English football. He’ll learn and he’ll learn quick.”

What an awful advert.

Post #535875  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:04 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

His quotes make him seem like a dinosaur:

Tyrone Mings was booked for catching Saka late with his studs, while the England man also earned numerous free-kicks before being substituted with 20 minutes to go.
Villa boss Gerrard had little sympathy, though, saying: “It’s part of the game. The last time I checked it’s not a no-contact sport. I think tackles are allowed, physicality’s allowed.
“He’s a good player, he’s an outstanding talent and I love him. But he can’t complain about that side. That’s football.
“I’m sitting here now with screws in my hips, I’ve had about 16 operations, I’m struggling to go to the gym at the moment. That’s all on the back of earning a living in English football. He’ll learn and he’ll learn quick.”

What an awful advert.

Obviously he got a few head knocks as well. If he had played in the time of the 70’s and 80’s he would have really known what it was to be targeted. But he had a few people kick lumps off him & that is acceptable. Actually I thought he was a bit of a protected species to be honest. I hope when he eventually manages Liverpool he sticks with this philosophy.

Post #535876  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:11 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
.....and will be remembered for a pigeon managing to perfectly direct one of it's sh*ts directly in to his mouth during a game more than anything he achieved on the pitch

I wish a pigeon would get to work in this guy. At least Young isn't an Arsenal fan!

https://www.justarsenal.com/i-have-loft ... ans/305945

Ashley Young is an Arsenal fan - at least he was as a kid….. actually he still was a couple of years ago when his son was at the academy

Post #535877  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Rich,

How tough are our away games socrates? Palace, Newcastle and Southampton aren’t really in the relegation dogfight so will hopefully not be fighting to avoid the drop or to get into Europe. Chelsea aren’t fighting for the title and look safe for a top four place. So what will they have to play for? West Ham are fighting to get into Europe but I believe we’re comfortably better than them.

I can think of a worse set of away games we could have to finish the season. I just don’t think table positions are a reliable guide to how easy or difficult games are towards the end of the season. Take each game as it comes and hopefully it’ll work out in the end. Worrying about how difficult forthcoming games will be isn’t the best way to look at things at this point in the season. That’s for, in my view at least, the management, players and even fans.

Yes, you are right Bernard, there will be plenty of thrills and spills and dropped points by all teams.

I do think, though, that a rejuvenated Newcastle under Eddie Howe, Palace under Vieira and Southampton are tough games irrespective of where they are in the table.

We've got United, Chelsea and Spurs still to play. If we come out of those games relatively unscathed I will start to believe.

I just hope that if there is a team that goes on a run of wins its us because no matter how shite Tottenham play you just know that with Son and Kane they can score against anyone at any time.

Post #535878  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:30 am 

Bernard wrote:

Also, let's not forget we still have Tottenham and Man Utd left to play. We can afford to drop some points against lesser teams if we get results against our rivals, and I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to. As things stand currently with regards to injuries, I'd make us favorites against Man Utd at home and West Ham away, and I'm tempted to throw Tottenham away in there too. They're not that good. If we can neutralize the threat from Kane and Son their entire gameplan is gone.

There's really no reason we should lose any of those three fixtures - in fact, I think we should win at least two of them. We have a good team, they've earned high expectations.

Post #535879  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:32 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arsenal Spurs
Palace (a) Newcastle (h)
Brighton (h) Villa (a)
Soton (a) Brighton (h)
Chelsea (a)
Man U (h) Brentford (a)
Leeds (h) Liverpool (a)
Everton (h) Norwich (a)

Hi Rich,

I still can’t see us doing it. Palace and saints away won’t be easy it never is. 2 London derbies and a resurgent Newcastle.

I can’t help thinking we will run out of gas at some point as we have such a lack of competent back up it’s ridiculous. Lacazette and saka are going to have to play every game, Nketiah and Pépé played like idiots when they came on Saturday. No wonder mikel doesn’t like changing the side.

I suppose with the West Ham result yesterday it pretty much guarantees finishing higher than last season.

Post #535880  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I still can’t see us doing it. Palace and saints away won’t be easy it never is. 2 London derbies and a resurgent Newcastle.

I can’t help thinking we will run out of gas at some point as we have such a lack of competent back up it’s ridiculous. Lacazette and saka are going to have to play every game, Nketiah and Pépé played like idiots when they came on Saturday. No wonder mikel doesn’t like changing the side.

I suppose with the West Ham result yesterday it pretty much guarantees finishing higher than last season.

Its just way too early to even think about 4th with United, Chelsea and Spurs still to navigate.

Our small squad might be good for morale but it means playing the same team in almost every game and with no real centre forward then we are a couple of injuries away from not being able to score.

[ 563337 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13394, 13395, 13396, 13397, 13398, 13399, 13400 ... 14084  Next