Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 278 guests

Post #552561  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:02 am 

If City don't win the treble this year, it won't get this 'easy' again. They've have only had to contend with one club vying for the title and a club that is doing it for the first time in years unlike Liverpool. Next season, clubs like Villa, Brighton, will use that EPL tv money and afford very good players. There will be very few easy games next season. Playing away to any of the top 7 or 8 clubs next season will be very tough games, tougher than usual I think.

I also don't see Haaland being at City for a long time. Real Madrid as usual will come with mega money and sell him on the aura of Real Madrid and how iconic they are. City doesn't have that. They have money. And a certain amount of newfound respect it has bought but RM has the name. It may even Barca which is next but he'll be wrested away to Spain.

Post #552562  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:06 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
For Wednesday
Ramsdale
White Holding Gabriel Tierney
Jorginho Partey
Saka Odegard Martinelli
Trossard

I do think you want to play Jesus and Zinchenko against their old club.

Maybe Zinchecko in the Xhaka role?

I think there’s a chance you might see Jesus dropped for Trossard for this game.

Post #552563  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I do think you want to play Jesus and Zinchenko against their old club.

Maybe Zinchecko in the Xhaka role?

I think there’s a chance you might see Jesus dropped for Trossard for this game.

I would prefer that actually, but I wonder if Arteta will see it that way.

Playing Tierney at left back seems a no-brainer but Arteta might think (and might have a point) that our best chance is to stick to what has been Plan A this season.

Very tough choices.

Post #552564  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:46 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would prefer that actually, but I wonder if Arteta will see it that way.

Playing Tierney at left back seems a no-brainer but Arteta might think (and might have a point) that our best chance is to stick to what has been Plan A this season.

Very tough choices.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the side is actually similar to the one gunfire posted. I can’t see Arteta not changing it. He should have changed it Friday really I was very surprised.

Post #552565  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 am 

No saliba for city

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... njury.html

Post #552566  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:25 pm 

Wednesday may be a decision of 'is a half fit Saliba better than Holding?' Perhaps why not play both? One subs for the other? Then the question becomes who do you start with? The smart thing for City to do is target either of the two with Haaland.

Post #552567  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:32 pm 

Google article this evening saying Jesus was denied a possible penalty againt Saints. Article's author is Hal Fish who is adamant that the tacvkle on Jesus was a foul and there was no contact with the ball by the Saints player who powered into Jesus.

Blame Hooper who signalled play on and VAR for not raising it as a probable mistake by him.

Yet again we were robbed...............
:36angers: :8angers: CNUTS :1cry:

Post #552568  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pm 

Cute amusements ongoing at Spurs.
Interim manager Stellini sacked, replaced by Ryan Mason, another interim manager.
The gift that keeps on giving. :14laughter:

Post #552569  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:27 pm 

Zed wrote:
Interim manager Stellini sacked, replaced by Ryan Mason, another interim manager.

Plus chelsea are getting pochettino. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds

Post #552570  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:51 am 

Tucker Carlson out at Fox News. Arguably the most powerful person in America from cable news. No one has a bigger following. No one gets higher ratings. And I posted on here years ago that he could run for higher office and win. Certainly as senator of a state but he could replicate Trump easily.

His private messages were already out about his disdain for Trump. And even with that his numbers were still far better than anyone else. Not much leakage. He's also a nationalist, a devout one, but is smart enough to not say the quiet part too loudly. His close friend and former producer of his segments had his comments on extreme far right chats exposed. There was no nuance. Fox News had to cut him and to give a clue about Tucker, he spoke about it on air. No apologies for the rhetoric but a complaint about 'cancel culture'.

He and Ron Desantis are the most public and powerful extreme far right figures. There is a rumor he wanted to get out of Fox. He's not broke. He's worth about 400 million and is part of a food processing family fortune called Swanson foods that were famous for frozen TV dinners when I was growing up.

Desantis would have won the presidency easy but Trump isn't done yet and ironically its Trump that is doing what the Democratic party and the left can't.

Historically, all great nations had a few things in common. One was a set of rules, laws that the people believed were sacrosanct. Roman Law. English Common law and in America the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. All three were violated in their countries history but by and large the populace believed in it and that kept the masses thinking that prince or pauper were to some extent at least on even keel. Even if it wasn't true.

The American public is rapidly losing faith in the government and the powers that be regarding their rights. Recently a Supreme Court justice was revealed to what can only be seen by any one with an ounce of fairness as bribes. Nothing will be done. He's a right wing justice, the right is in charge of the House of Representatives which impeaches the judges. 50, 40 even 30 years ago, the party would have impeached him so their party wasn't tainted. Today? Not a chance. It's 'Catch me if you can' and the Dems haven't even raised a stink about it. It's further evidence the republic is in its last days. The dollar is being attacked on all sides by Russia, China and others so its no longer the reserve currency (something I actually found particularly anti that one currency would rule but to be fair the pound sterling had a similar effect prior).

Completely opposite ideology but Don Lemon was let go the same day from CNN. My guess is it was going to happen at any time and CNN did it immediately because the nation would focus on Carlson and they would get by a few news cycles without it overwhelming them.

The country is a mess. Biden is not the only one who is often incoherent due to his age. I don't want to be accused of ageism, but Biden really isn't physically and mentally capable of running a country the size, depth and power of America. The office ages you daily. Look at Obama on his first day and last day. Those 8 years age you like 28 years. It's draining. There is a senator from California, Diane Feinstein, 89, Democrat, obviously suffering from dementia due to age. She is on one of the most powerful and important committees (the judicial committee). She hasn't been present for a vote in weeks. She's being 'handled' in any public setting. It's almost 'Weekend at Bernie's'. Senator from the largest state with important work and she's being propped up and when members of her own party were told privately they will not force her out they made a public plea, and one of them, a man, was told he was sexist and and ageist for saying it.

Another Democrat senator Fetterman, had a stroke during the campaign, won anyway and now had to take leave because of not just his health from the stroke but for depression. So, its not all Republicans, its the Democrats too. Both parties are supporting candidates that aren't worthy or unfit mentally and/or physically. Marjorie Brown of Georgia is just batsh*t crazy. Proves every stereotype of southern Americans that the movie deliverance or those Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns portrayed. The same state was hair close to electing a former NFL player who was proven, no question to lie consistently and his own son came out and the guy, maybe from too many hits to the head could barely string together a coherent sentence.

We are done. And deservedly so. We were never great stewards of our place in the world since WW2. We didn't lead with fairness and respect, we used our American brashness on the international stage to bully countries for our whatever selfish reasons disguised as making the world free for democracy.

Post #552571  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:24 am 

I'm actually not nervous about tomorrow night. I think we will play better than people think. Had we had Partey and Jesus for the 2nd half of the season, I think we'd be 7 or 8 points to the good minimum. We just didn't have the depth to withstand being without the first XI.

I think the game will end in a draw, with some dramatic moments.

Post #552572  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Plus chelsea are getting pochettino. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds

Very salty

Post #552573  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:17 am 

Judith sent me some pictures from her grandson to post here.

Attachment:

Attachment:

Attachment:
2.jpeg
2.jpeg [ 26.75 KB | Viewed 5583 times ]

Attachment:

Post #552574  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:23 am 

I've never heard of this guy. One of the commentators said for 4 or 5 years Neville Southall was the best keeper in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=6040736492616115

Post #552575  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:28 am 

Fantastic pix Warrior. He seems to have had a good time.

Post #552576  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:42 am 

When will all these 100 odd charges that have been made by the PL against City be heard?

I mean this isn't a couple of minor indiscretions, this is major but City seemingly can just carry on winning trophies as if nothing has happened.

Post #552577  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've never heard of this guy. One of the commentators said for 4 or 5 years Neville Southall was the best keeper in the world.

He was a brilliant keeper, but in the 80's there were a few world class UK keepers.....Clemence, Shilton, obviously Seaman a bit later...

Post #552578  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:37 am 

Arteta says Xhaka is doubtful.

I really think you will see a side similar to one gunfire suggested with Jorginho in.

Post #552579  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 am 

Bored wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

He was a brilliant keeper, but in the 80's there were a few world class UK keepers.....Clemence, Shilton, obviously Seaman a bit later...

Clemence and Shilton I definitely know about. Maybe a bit hyperbolic to say he was the best for a few years with those iconic keepers around at the same time.

Post #552580  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I really think you will see a side similar to one gunfire suggested with Jorginho in.

Feels like we have to change something for this game. Our natural game is good enough for virtually everyone in the league, for the top teams we need our best 11 and our natural game, for City away that might not even be enough. And without a couple of key parts of our best 11 our natural game is hard to find.

I don’t think this is a game to go toe to toe with City on. I think we need to sit deeper, bring in Jorginho alongside Partey and play much more on the counter attack.

If Ake is out then Saka is a huge weapon down our right against maybe Laporte. Ake has defended Saka as good as anyone I’ve seen over the last 2 years.

Post #552581  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I really hope it's just mind games.
We need as close to full strength as possible to have any chance tomorrow.
If he is out then has to start trossard or jorginho.
But not Viera!!!

Post #552582  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:30 pm 

Even a draw is massive tomorrow.
Means if city were to win their games in hand we would only be a point behind.
Still be up for grabs.
I don't think we are capable of sitting back and defending. We have to go for it.

Post #552583  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:44 pm 

Harry Belafonte, singer, actor, and civil rights activist dies at 96

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-26/ ... /102265522

Post #552584  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:57 pm 

FA Youth Cup Final live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLE40ZJ49uE

Post #552585  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:50 pm 

socrates wrote:

Anyone else’s YouTube of that stuttering? Bit frustrating. Also the game, blistering start, 1-0 up. Pegged back, then defensive error, going in at HT 3-1 down.

Post #552586  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:56 pm 

Ash wrote:
socrates wrote:

Anyone else’s YouTube of that stuttering? Bit frustrating. Also the game, blistering start, 1-0 up. Pegged back, then defensive error, going in at HT 3-1 down.

Mirroring the 1st team. Lots of possession, the better side but sloppy and careless defending ruthlessly punished.

Post #552587  Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:38 pm 

Arsenal 4-1 down in a game they have largely dominated.

Post #552588  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:08 am 

socrates wrote:

Has the City game already started ?

Post #552589  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:26 am 

We lose or even draw we are essentially out. City hasn't lost any game in any competition since about mid February. Last league draw in February. Only other dropped points were CL games 2nd leg when the first leg was sewn up and they played the bench 2nd leg. They are also winning decisively. No last minute gasps for a goal. They are locking up games early. It's treble form moreso than league or double form. If we lose, I want City to win the treble for 2 reasons. First, winning it will somewhat mitigate the criticism we will face for losing the lead. The season narrative will be unstoppable City moreso than Arsenal choked. Second, it will piss off Man Utd.

If we win, which I am hoping for, it will put my stomach in knots because it prolongs what could be a disappointment. We will still have to negotiate beating Chelsea, Newcastle and a Brighton side that pushed Man Utd to a penalty shoot out. So, it may be a matter of a great, historic win and renewed hopes only to be dashed elsewhere. Us winning a huge match tonight obviously doesn't mean we will win the rest of the games.

If City wins and gets a scoring result at Real Madrid on the 9th next month, they will win the treble. If its 0-0, its dicey. I am guessing RM won't be able to contend with a Haaland that has great players around him. My guess is RM won't be able to both contain Haaland while not letting the likes of DeBruyne and others score.

Post #552590  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 am 

Ash wrote:
socrates wrote:

Try the FA Player next time it was very clear no problems at all apart from our performance.

Post #552591  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am 

The FA Youth Cup Final was a weird game. Looking at the score you'd think we got absolutely mullered and yet we appeared to have more of the possession, had the better passing moves and missed some really good chances, albeit we played with Nwaneri as a kind of false 9 which didn't really work.

West Ham's finishing was absolutely fantastic, ruthless and clinical, but our defending was hopeless.

Which brings me to a question, how much work do we actually do on ensuring our players have mastered the basics of defending, like marking a man, tracking runners, attacking the ball, denying space and time etc? On last nights evidence very little.

We had a back four who were all good on the ball but as a defensive unit they were terrible. Not just the defence either, the midfielders hardly covered themselves in glory either from a defensive point of view.

There is no doubt we have some really good skilful technical players who can pass and dribble etc but last night showed clearly that technique alone is not enough.

Post #552592  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7:
tell me when its over

Post #552593  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:36 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:

:laughing7:

5 mins gone

Post #552594  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:39 am 

Will we sit back tonight and play on the break or will we try to dominate from the off.

Both strategies unlikely to work. :laughing7:

Post #552595  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:01 am 

socrates wrote:
Will we sit back tonight and play on the break or will we try to dominate from the off.

Too true :laughing7: :laughing7:
I suspect the latter. We really aren't good at sitting back and playing on the break, although with our players we should be.

Post #552596  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:42 am 

socrates wrote:

This squad plays best playing aggressive with team defense everyone recovering if the ball is lost. It's what has worked so I don't think they will sit back. Plus we have to win.

Post #552597  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:11 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

This squad plays best playing aggressive with team defense everyone recovering if the ball is lost. It's what has worked so I don't think they will sit back. Plus we have to win.

Grealish and Mahrez could have a field day. :sad5:

Post #552598  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:16 am 

I would worry a lot if Holding and Vieira starts the game

Post #552599  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:44 pm 

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/04/guide ... e-wasting/

Interesting article on time wasting.

"Gavin Bazunu took an average of 43.7 seconds before taking each of his 18 goal kicks at the Emirates. Add that together and Southampton were able to burn 13 minutes and 6 seconds of time while taking goal kicks" 13 minutes! that's 14% of the game just waiting for one of the GK's to restart play, how can a gk waste that amount of time and not get booked?

The article notes Ramsdale took an average of 57 seconds per goal kick away to Liverpool, so we're capable of doing it its just that we don't often need to and more often come up against it.

Post #552600  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:52 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I would worry a lot if Holding and Vieira starts the game

Holding will definitely start whats the other option

I will fall off my chair if he starts vieira

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13812, 13813, 13814, 13815, 13816, 13817, 13818 ... 14084  Next