Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Lincoln gooner, mcquilkie, Rich, warrior and 410 guests

Post #555201  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We’re doing superbly but could finish first or fifth it’s still to early.

Fifth would be disastrous from where we are. That usually means somewhere around or slightly below 70 points, which would mean maybe 32-33 points in our remaining 24 games, that's midtable form for an extended period.

I still make Man City favorites for the league, but I'd be disappointed if we finish worse than 2nd place. Tottenham are mediocre, Chelsea and Man Utd rubbish, Liverpool is really the only team apart from Man City I could consider better than us but they've given us a 15 point cushion.

Manure aren't rubbish. They are consistently winning games and they are a threat.

Post #555202  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:19 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Manure aren't rubbish. They are consistently winning games and they are a threat.

I mean, they haven't won two games in a row since early september, and several of their wins (including today) were thoroughly undeserved. They're only a threat to us if our level drops considerably.

Post #555203  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:05 pm 

If we win our home games v West Ham, Brentford, B'mouth, Palace, Leeds, Saints, Brighton, Wolves, Everton (ie: all homes games not v the big 6 + newcastle) That is another 27 points which puts us on 64 points

Then if you took wins away v the bottom half of the league (villa, everton, Leicester, west ham, Forest) that is another 15 points which takes us to 79 points which will be easily enough for top 4.

So 14 more wins from the remaining 24 games all against teams no higher than 7th.

Then we would probably need to find a further 4 wins from the rest to be very very close to winning the title.

All a lot of ifs and buts, but we've put ourselves in a great position with the consistency

We've got a defining January but so have City, and I think they'll sneak our home game v City at the end of these tough runs for both teams.

Post #555204  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
If we win our home games v West Ham, Brentford, B'mouth, Palace, Leeds, Saints, Brighton, Wolves, Everton (ie: all homes games not v the big 6 + newcastle) That is another 27 points which puts us on 64 points

Then if you took wins away v the bottom half of the league (villa, everton, Leicester, west ham, Forest) that is another 15 points which takes us to 79 points which will be easily enough for top 4.

So 14 more wins from the remaining 24 games all against teams no higher than 7th.

Then we would probably need to find a further 4 wins from the rest to be very very close to winning the title.

All a lot of ifs and buts, but we've put ourselves in a great position with the consistency

We've got a defining January but so have City, and I think they'll sneak our home game v City at the end of these tough runs for both teams.

A couple of issues that could dictate how we end up: I want Man City to go all the way to the CL final and hope they get a couple of difficult draws on the way. Like wise it would probably suit us better if Man U continued into the later rounds of Europa. The distraction that is Europe can make the EPL difficult.

And before you say anything about us in Europe, I think we need to make a difficult decision early in the new year. If we start after the WC all guns blazing and maintain momentum in the league I would be prepared to play a totally second team in Europa and if we exit we exit as long as the league form continues. I would play good teams in the FA Cup.

Would I strengthen in January: yes, Partey cover and a Xhaka cover. Viera may get there, the skill set is good going forward but can quickly recover to defend. A lot of people talk about Tielmanns but one of the podcasts (maybe Arsenal Vision) did a lot of reviews on him pre season and what they found was he was really good with the ball going forward but he was basically terrible if we lost possession. If Arteta has formed a similar opinion that is never going to work as defensive abilities are high on his tick list even for players like Martenelli and Jesus. The other player I would like to see is another forward to cover Jesus. But I have no idea of names in that space. I have wondered about a cheeky low bid for Raphina who on all accounts is a dud at Barca. All these players would fit nicely into the Europa second team and strengthen it as well as providing cover.

One last matter, goalkeeper cover. It appears to me that no one is actually a good back up. I know I am biased but Matt Ryan has lost his place at his club and I think he would be a cheap and reliable second keeper who may have no problem with the role.

Post #555205  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:52 pm 

What were Fulham doing, 4v4 at the back in the 93rd minute of a tight match.
‘If you can’t win it make sure you don’t lose it’

Attachments:

Post #555206  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:53 pm 

OK, I'll say it - "Well played England!" We love you Buttler...

Post #555207  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
:36angers: jammy spurs, and now manure. *&&^%^

That Gazpacho kid looks alright doesn’t he

Post #555208  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:50 am 

Rich wrote:

That's a huge ask Rich. There will be home games against seemingly weaker opposition but it may come after a hard fought, energy draining Europa league of FA cup tie.

We look great at home though. I want to see how we do away to the big six. If we get a draw most of the time (hopefully an occasional win) and limit the loss to 1 or 2 at most (City/Liverpool), winning away to Chelsea was huge. Drawing at worse at Tottenham will be good obviously and we are capable of a win but its an NLD so.... lol. A draw at City will feel like a victory. Away to Liverpool will be tricky. Depends on which Liverpool team we catch. If were to play at Old Trafford now we'd do no worse than a draw.

Speaking of which, they use Martial and Rashford on long balls very effectively. They have nice size and are fast and can shrug off the bumps from central defenders. They used to perfection against us. We were able to neutralize it against Chelsea and Aubameyang.

Post #555209  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:18 am 

Ronaldo’s interview last night will be poured over by the press. Sadly I think it will just unite the fans and club around ten Hag even more. Ronaldo is pretty embarrassing, how he can say all of what he said without once looking in the mirror is pretty staggering?

Post #555210  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Ronaldo’s interview last night will be poured over by the press. Sadly I think it will just unite the fans and club around ten Hag even more. Ronaldo is pretty embarrassing, how he can say all of what he said without once looking in the mirror is pretty staggering?

I agree but it is good to see discord in a rival's ranks.

Post #555211  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:18 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:

I urge Ronaldo to speak up even more and not hold back. unless he's a pussy. Call out some players by name plus coaching staff

Post #555212  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:25 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/rankin ... ng-minutes

Post #555213  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I urge Ronaldo to speak up even more and not hold back. unless he's a pussy. Call out some players by name plus coaching staff

A lot of what Ronaldo says and is complaining about is certainly true and it should be called out, things like the training facilities not being updated in 10 years. But everything else, the stuff about the manager not respecting him is nonsense. He was the player who tried to engineer a move away from the club this summer (and had no takers), he was the player who reported back late after his summer break and he was the player who refused to be substituted on recently.

Some Man U fans will come out with the usual nonsense 'he's the goat, his standards are elite, he's an example to the youngsters...blah blah' The fact is the game has moved beyond him now. In the new(ish) era of the complete team ethic of the high press, acute tactical thinking and both being reliant on mobile, hard working intelligent forwards - the space for a selfish penalty box striker is fading

Post #555214  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:41 am 

Ronaldo is an egotistical *%^@. Always has been, the moment he signed for united I said this would happen.

Just absurd that he’s throwing his toys out the pram and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Post #555215  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ronaldo is an egotistical *%^@. Always has been, the moment he signed for united I said this would happen.

Just absurd that he’s throwing his toys out the pram and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Agreed.
I recall Ferdinand telling stories of how if a player or former player said Messi was the better player he'd moan to Rio and try to call that person to ask them why. He cares for nothing but himself in a team game. He has craved individual glory over anything else his whole career.

Post #555216  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:05 pm 

With all the stick that CR7 has received on here how many of you wish that he signed for us before Man U snuck in and nicked him all those years ago You never know if these stories are true but it seems that’s the way it went
I think on balance I wish we’d signed
him

Post #555217  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:34 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
With all the stick that CR7 has received on here how many of you wish that he signed for us before Man U snuck in and nicked him all those years ago You never know if these stories are true but it seems that’s the way it went
him

A great player in his prime and of course we’d want him but I kind of view him in the same way I think of Ibrahimovic in that if they had both joined they wouldn’t have hung around long at all.

Post #555218  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:11 pm 

Rich wrote:

Yep, LA Galaxy.

Post #555219  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:12 pm 

https://www.planetfootball.com/quizzes/ ... el-arteta/

Quick quiz if you're interested. 51 players are represented Arsenal under Arteta, name them all.

I managed to get 46 (missed a rather big name as well!)

Post #555220  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:14 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
him

Of course, I doubt the only team in his career that regret signing him are Man U 1 year ago. He bought huge success to all those teams so I'd have loved us to have got him instead of Man U back in 2004 or so. Doesn't change my opinion of him as a person and his current attitude

Post #555221  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:00 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
him

He would have been amazing for us Andy. What a player he was in those days, would have loved to have had him.

Post #555222  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 pm 

Might have been just click-bait (if it existed then!), but around the time we were supposedly courting Ronaldo, weren't we also linked to Van Nistelrooy?
We've come a long way from the Ceefax and Compuserve days!
Still have my short-wave radio though - a life-saver for hard to get footie intel back in the day!

Post #555223  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:40 pm 

Roastbeef wrote:
Might have been just click-bait (if it existed then!), but around the time we were supposedly courting Ronaldo, weren't we also linked to Van Nistelrooy?
We've come a long way from the Ceefax and Compuserve days!
Still have my short-wave radio though - a life-saver for hard to get footie intel back in the day!

Might well have been click bait RB......I think I saw him in an eleven.....of players we woulda coulda shoulda signed.....Ibrahimovic as TG pointed out VN as you say and I think Drogba also.....who knows.....what may have been

Terrific player and a terrific body of work......I still f...ing hate the flash you know what

Post #555224  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:11 pm 

Looking ahead to January signings, I'm struggling to think of a better potential signing than Ruben Neves. He just ticks all the boxes for me; very comfortable in the no 6 position but could easily play as an 8 as well in our team, technically very good, excellent passer, ability to play under pressure, not afraid to get stuck in and has a very good shot on him as well. He's also just 25 but already have four excellent seasons in the PL so he's unlikely to need any adjustment period at all.

It's hard to speculate about our budget and whether he'd be available, but for the second part you have to figure he'd jump at the chance to come to Arsenal playing the way we're doing so maybe he could push for a move if we show interest. I think he'd be an amazing signing, and would go a long way to increase our chances of challenging for the full season.

Really hope we go for PL proven players in January, without completely stepping away from the transfer policy that has worked so well in recent years. You never know what will happen next season with so many teams capable of spending big, so we have to make the most of this opportunity.

Post #555225  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:17 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
him

Yes in those early days and then resale value. But now I don’t rate him

Post #555226  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Looking ahead to January signings, I'm struggling to think of a better potential signing than Ruben Neves. He just ticks all the boxes for me; very comfortable in the no 6 position but could easily play as an 8 as well in our team, technically very good, excellent passer, ability to play under pressure, not afraid to get stuck in and has a very good shot on him as well. He's also just 25 but already have four excellent seasons in the PL so he's unlikely to need any adjustment period at all.

It's hard to speculate about our budget and whether he'd be available, but for the second part you have to figure he'd jump at the chance to come to Arsenal playing the way we're doing so maybe he could push for a move if we show interest. I think he'd be an amazing signing, and would go a long way to increase our chances of challenging for the full season.

Really hope we go for PL proven players in January, without completely stepping away from the transfer policy that has worked so well in recent years. You never know what will happen next season with so many teams capable of spending big, so we have to make the most of this opportunity.

100% agree. Every time I see him play he impresses. Arteta is supposedly an admirer and as you say he has 4 years under his belt in the Prem. Ticks all the boxes!

Post #555227  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:30 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

A lot of what Ronaldo says and is complaining about is certainly true and it should be called out, things like the training facilities not being updated in 10 years. But everything else, the stuff about the manager not respecting him is nonsense. He was the player who tried to engineer a move away from the club this summer (and had no takers), he was the player who reported back late after his summer break and he was the player who refused to be substituted on recently.

Some Man U fans will come out with the usual nonsense 'he's the goat, his standards are elite, he's an example to the youngsters...blah blah' The fact is the game has moved beyond him now. In the new(ish) era of the complete team ethic of the high press, acute tactical thinking and both being reliant on mobile, hard working intelligent forwards - the space for a selfish penalty box striker is fading

His antics are similar to Aubameyang

Post #555228  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Agree with you on Neves. Would love for us to put in a bid. I'm quite sure Neves will relish the chance to jump from relegation candidate to potential Champions.

Post #555229  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 am 

I like the shout for Neves, in terms of knowing exactly what you’re getting that can’t be many better sure things. The lone 6 is a very difficult role to recruit for, I think it might be the hardest role in football right now. Firstly very few teams play with a single player at the base of the midfield with 5 attack minded players ahead of them. We do and City do and have two of the best in the world at this role in Partey and Rodri. Fabinho at Liverpool could do it but Liverpool don’t play the same formation.

I think there is more than something in the links to Danilo from Palmeiras, he’s one of the best in the Brazilian league, just won the title there and Jan is a good time for them to move as their season is finished, he’s 21 and can play def mid or more advanced, rumoured to be available for £20-25m which is probably half the price of Neves.

I could see Arsenal doing something like that for the def mid position and going bigger on a winger

Post #555230  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 am 

Rich wrote:
I could see Arsenal doing something like that for the def mid position and going bigger on a winger

I could see that as well, he seems like a great talent and the rumours are persistent. My only concern would be that he's very young and coming from a completely different league, so it might take some time for him to adapt. I really want us to push on from a position of strength and keep an eye on this season as well as the future. With Neves you would get someone who could do a job right away, and as he's only 25 he could still give us at least 6-7 years.

Post #555231  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 am 

What are Cristiano's best options out there? What about these?
Atletico Madrid? Milan? Chelsea?

I'm not saying he's not probably right but I've always thought it was an unsaid rule not to openly criticize an ex teammate in the press? If you are retired and you are a pundit, its okay to critique your present team.

I've always understood that to be an unsaid, unspoken 'rule' across all sports. Is Rooney's comments about Cristiano a violation of that unsaid rule?

Post #555232  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:28 am 

Andy Green wrote:
him

I would have loved to have signed him. I can remember the first time I saw him play and he scared the bejeezus out of me. I knew he was going to be a HUGE problem, possibly transformative for them.

We wouldn't have been able to keep him as long as someone like Bergkamp or Henry, but he would have been massive for us in terms of impact.

By the way, tough finals loss for the Phillies, but the 'Iggles' are doing well, despite their first loss last night.

Post #555233  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

This is the bit I don’t get. I can’t see many clubs willing to take his 500k a week. Maybe an MLS club with a divvy owner. Honestly any club would have to be out of their minds and the manager and owner taking leave of their own senses to sign him.

If he signed for Chelsea it would be the funniest thing of all time. It would be brilliant a total circus :laughing7: I’m praying it happens. Potter will have dropped him in no time at all and would have him sat next to aubameyang on the bench with them both moaning and undermining the manager. A festival of dickheadery and so so chelsea

Post #555234  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:21 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I'm quite sure Neves will relish the chance to jump from relegation candidate to potential Champions.

We’re all getting so ahead of ourselves :14laughter:

Post #555235  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:42 am 

Jacob Rees Mogg was referred to on LBC as the haunted pencil.....

Post #555236  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:59 am 

Bored wrote:
Jacob Rees Mogg was referred to on LBC as the haunted pencil.....

That’s perfect

You seen this ..

https://youtu.be/hdTATfc_QSg

It’s amazing even at 12 years old he was a total piece of shite

Post #555237  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

This is the bit I don’t get. I can’t see many clubs willing to take his 500k a week. Maybe an MLS club with a divvy owner. Honestly any club would have to be out of their minds and the manager and owner taking leave of their own senses to sign him.

If he signed for Chelsea it would be the funniest thing of all time. It would be brilliant a total circus :laughing7: I’m praying it happens. Potter will have dropped him in no time at all and would have him sat next to aubameyang on the bench with them both moaning and undermining the manager. A festival of dickheadery and so so chelsea

Inter Miami. Beckham showed interest early October.

Post #555238  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:56 pm 

Slow day at work as I'm waiting for IT to take care of some things...so I had a look at the World Cup squads to see what players from which teams are likely to start for their nations, and I have to say Arsenal look in decent shape.

We have ten players going, and from those I count four as unlikely to start (Jesus, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale). Four seem nailed on (Xhaka, Partey, Turner, Tomiyasu) and two more who are likely to start or at least feature heavily (Saka, Saliba).

In contrast, I figure Man City have six in the nailed on category (De Bruyne, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Akanji, Ake) with another five likely (Stones, Foden, Laporte, Rodri, Gundogan). That leaves Grealish, Ederson, Alvarez, Phillips and Walker.

The schedule will be quite hectic when the season re-starts, so not having as many players feature heavily at the World Cup might be a slight edge. Man City have both Chelsea and Man Utd away in January, and they'd probably want their best players in good shape there.

Post #555239  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Slow day at work as I'm waiting for IT to take care of some things...so I had a look at the World Cup squads to see what players from which teams are likely to start for their nations, and I have to say Arsenal look in decent shape.

We have ten players going, and from those I count four as unlikely to start (Jesus, Martinelli, White, Ramsdale). Four seem nailed on (Xhaka, Partey, Turner, Tomiyasu) and two more who are likely to start or at least feature heavily (Saka, Saliba).

In contrast, I figure Man City have six in the nailed on category (De Bruyne, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Akanji, Ake) with another five likely (Stones, Foden, Laporte, Rodri, Gundogan). That leaves Grealish, Ederson, Alvarez, Phillips and Walker.

The schedule will be quite hectic when the season re-starts, so not having as many players feature heavily at the World Cup might be a slight edge. Man City have both Chelsea and Man Utd away in January, and they'd probably want their best players in good shape there.

And none of our nailed on starters are in teams likely to go very far. Saliba looks like he'd thrive with more work. Saka would be the only real worry.

Post #555240  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:28 pm 

It hasn’t even kicked off yet but I am already so bored with this poxy World Cup. I have no great interest in international football or tournaments, but this one has been a truly ridiculous idea from the moment Qatar was awarded the competition.

Qatar has a land area of about 4,500 sq miles and a population of about 2.8m. For context, England is 50,000 sq miles and has a population of about 57m.

It gets far dafter though. It never fully occurred to me until quite recently (my geography is as poor as my level of interest) that the entire competition is to be held within its only city, Doha which has an urban area of about 50 sq miles. London is getting on for 700 sq miles.

Imagine the small semi-circular bit of London contained within the North Circular Road and the Thames. Now plonk down 8 brand new stadiums, each of 40,000 to 80,000 capacity, some just a mile apart, and we’re all set for the North London World Cup.

How utterly stupid is that as an idea?

[ 572016 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13878, 13879, 13880, 13881, 13882, 13883, 13884 ... 14301  Next