Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf and 269 guests

Post #535241  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:58 am 

long time gooner wrote:
A cracking goal by Calum Chambers last night. He kept that ability well hidden up till now.

His technique was always very good he just never built any momentum because of injuries and being in and out of the side.

I think it was a shrewd signing by gerrard and we would have been better of keeping him if he’d have stayed.

Post #535242  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
He doesn’t have to be a lawyer to observe that Putin and his mates plundered Russia’s assets.

If they did so, they were presumably allowed to.

I’m obviously in a minority of one. I just find this stuffy moralising off putting, as I’ve said. The circumstances in Russia at the time, including the law, enabled oligarchs to amass huge wealth. Maybe we should primarily point the fingers of blame at those who allowed it to happen rather than those who took advantage of the situation?

OJ Simpson would love you Bernard :laughing7:

Post #535243  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 am 

john1 wrote:
The oligarchs in Russia were ‘enabled’

Don’t let me stop you moralising about how it happened.

Onto more important issues (for me), while I’m laughing at Chelsea’s current problems, I’ll be disappointed if it stops me attending the away game at Stamford Bridge when it’s arranged.

Post #535244  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Post #535245  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 am 

Stop moralising about the Manson family folks because THOSE WERE THE TIMES !

:14laughter:

Post #535246  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Moralizing? No Bernard. Just trying to point out that there’s a vast difference between how the oligarchs got their wealth and power, and about how our own fraudsters did. Doesn’t make either method acceptable, but no-one in the UK including the likes of Farage, has ever held a gun to my head, or kidnapped my daughter, in order to get their hands on assets over which I had some control.

Degrees, Bernard, degrees.

Post #535247  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:48 am 

john1 wrote:
Degrees, Bernard, degrees.

I wouldn’t argue with that but, as I’ve said, I think it’s more important to look at how the oligarchs were able to accumulate their vast wealth than moralise that they took advantage of the situation offered.

I’m just uncomfortable with political moralising. Always have done and I’ve little doubt I always will do.

Post #535248  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:56 am 

The Government have confirmed that CFC “will not be unduly harmed”, however with ongoing salary and contract commitments but no income and no sponsorship, they’ll need to live off their reserves for a while. If - when - those reserves run out and with no capacity to raise loans, presumably the Government will have to step in.

So in the absence of an Owner, presumably CFC will become State controlled. Effectively, CFC will be nationalised.

We live in interesting times.

Post #535249  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:02 am 

DHD wrote:
The Government have confirmed that CFC “will not be unduly harmed”, but with ongoing salary and contract commitments but no income and no sponsorship, they’ll need to live off their reserves for a while. If - when - those reserves run out and with no capacity to raise loans, presumably the Government will have to step in.

So in the absence of an Owner, presumably CFC will become State controlled. Effectively, CFC will be nationalised.

It’s being suggested that Nike are going to pull their daft 500 million deal. If that happens only government intervention and nationalisation will prevent administration

If that happens we should do one of those petitions for parliament saying Chelsea football club should be liquidated as it’s a drain on the tax payer like those goons keep suggesting for the BBC. They have to publicise the salaries etc et.

Post #535250  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:25 am 

DHD wrote:
The Government have confirmed that CFC “will not be unduly harmed”, however with ongoing salary and contract commitments but no income and no sponsorship, they’ll need to live off their reserves for a while. If - when - those reserves run out and with no capacity to raise loans, presumably the Government will have to step in.

One key aspect that isn't directly related to the sanctions is who will buy Chelsea from Abramovich once a sale is approved (which I assume will happen at some point). Since he bought the club, Chelsea's net spend is close to £1b, with most of it being funded by Abramovich.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the next owner will spend that much - in fact, I'd say it's likely that it won't happen. Not many owners have been willing to spend like that. And while they have built a very good structure in terms of youth academy and such in the last 20 years, Chelsea still operate like an oil club. High profile managers coming and going every few years, big name signings to bail the team out when they underperform, etc. With a different type of owner they'd have to operate more like Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs, and rely on smart signings, getting the right manager in and so on.

If you look at the commercial side of things, Chelsea are still some way behind the biggest clubs. 9th in average attendance, 5th in match day revenue, by far the most amount of debt of any club, and sponsorship deals more on par with Arsenal and Tottenham than the Manchester clubs. I think it's very likely they're entering a new era where they'll still be competitive, but not nearly to the same extent as in the last 20 years.

Post #535251  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 am 

DHD wrote:

Perhaps some form of fan ownership will be introduced for Chelsea? Bayern are perhaps the most well known example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.90min. ... -world/amp

Post #535252  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:
One key aspect that isn't directly related to the sanctions is who will buy Chelsea from Abramovich once a sale is approved (which I assume will happen at some point). Since he bought the club, Chelsea's net spend is close to £1b, with most of it being funded by Abramovich.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the next owner will spend that much - in fact, I'd say it's likely that it won't happen. Not many owners have been willing to spend like that. And while they have built a very good structure in terms of youth academy and such in the last 20 years, Chelsea still operate like an oil club. High profile managers coming and going every few years, big name signings to bail the team out when they underperform, etc. With a different type of owner they'd have to operate more like Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs, and rely on smart signings, getting the right manager in and so on.

If you look at the commercial side of things, Chelsea are still some way behind the biggest clubs. 9th in average attendance, 5th in match day revenue, by far the most amount of debt of any club, and sponsorship deals more on par with Arsenal and Tottenham than the Manchester clubs. I think it's very likely they're entering a new era where they'll still be competitive, but not nearly to the same extent as in the last 20 years.

Good post Hazuki. I suspect you’ll turn out to be right.

Post #535253  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 am 

A draw is obviously the best result but if someone has to win, I'd prefer it to be Man Utd.

Post #535254  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Perhaps some form of fan ownership will be introduced for Chelsea? Bayern are perhaps the most well known example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.90min. ... -world/amp

But if the UK Taxpayers are going to bail out CFC - at least until they're sold - then all the Taxpayers should have opportunities to get involved. I might fancy a few shares in CFC. Now that you're no longer an Arse shareholder, might you be similarly inclined, Bern?

Post #535255  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:41 am 

Decent argument here for why CFC should be relegated from the PL. There are precedents.

https://segernet.com/why-chelsea-should-be-relegated-from-the-premier-league/

Post #535256  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:50 am 

DHD wrote:
But if the UK Taxpayers are going to bail out CFC - at least until they're sold - then all the Taxpayers should have opportunities to get involved. I might fancy a few shares in CFC. Now that you're no longer an Arse shareholder, might you be similarly inclined, Bern?

Taxpayers should be allowed to take turns picking the Chelsea team. Wouldn't apply to me obviously, but I've felt for a long time that Ross Barkley is being underused by them.

Post #535257  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:31 pm 

I see the 'why should the fans suffer' argument is widespread amongst the CFC mob.

Ask Rangers fans. Or Derby fans. Or Bolton, Portsmouth, Bury......the list goes on. None of those fans bore any responsibility beyond supporting clubs that had dodgy owners. As dodgy owners go though, Abro surely takes the biscuit.

So if precedents mean anything, it's a points deduction at one end of the spectrum and full scale expulsion from all 4 leagues at the other.

Post #535258  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decent argument here for why CFC should be relegated from the PL. There are precedents.

https://segernet.com/why-chelsea-should-be-relegated-from-the-premier-league/

100%

Zero tolerance for terrorist organisations needs to be applied here

Post #535259  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:41 pm 

We got a 2 point deduction for some pushing at old Trafford … Chelsea are allowed to get away with being actual terrorists and get nothing.

Bias

Post #535260  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:09 pm 

DHD wrote:

Can’t they operate at a debt before a new owner acquires them? Then it becomes the responsibility of the new owner to meet the debts, hopefully wanting to get all his (or her) money back by selling players before spending money on new recruits.

Post #535261  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Can’t they operate at a debt before a new owner acquires them? Then it becomes the responsibility of the new owner to meet the debts, hopefully wanting to get all his (or her) money back by selling players before spending money on new recruits.

Without the permission of the Government, I don’t see how the club can take on debt.

All their bank accounts are effectively frozen as far as I understand

Post #535262  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:11 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Without the permission of the Government, I don’t see how the club can take on debt.

All their bank accounts are effectively frozen as far as I understand

https://www.skysports.com/share/12563619

Post #535263  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:18 pm 

This will obviously have an affect on Chelsea's ability to attract and keep players. I wonder what Arsenal can do to pick off one or two for ourselves?

Post #535264  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:46 pm 

These places don't look too bad physically.

Post #535265  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Abramovich owns the club. A bank sactioning a credit facility to Chelsea is effectively lending money to Abramovich. That is completely contrary to sanctions.

Post #535266  Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
I see the 'why should the fans suffer' argument is widespread amongst the CFC mob.

Ask Rangers fans. Or Derby fans. Or Bolton, Portsmouth, Bury......the list goes on. None of those fans bore any responsibility beyond supporting clubs that had dodgy owners. As dodgy owners go though, Abro surely takes the biscuit.

So if precedents mean anything, it's a points deduction at one end of the spectrum and full scale expulsion from all 4 leagues at the other.

Absolutely, if they fail to meet the financial rules. Chelsea cannot be made a special case. As you say, Derby, Bolton, Leeds etc have suffered and received no favourable treatment. In Chelsea's case, it is more egregious. We are talking about sanctions imposed due to contributions to the invasion of a sovereign state.

Post #535267  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:05 am 

Surprised to see Leeds on the list. Bristol looks really nice. I wouldn't mind giving that town a go. Brighton as well. Most I have never heard of.

Post #535268  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:55 am 

I love his character, especially when it comes to non football things but lukewarm on him as a player. We can do much better.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/11/arsenal-urged-sign-man-utd-star-marcus-rashford-transfer-ray-parlour-16258527/?fbclid=IwAR06wOJHeNbAYW6M57NFh2F2WIQILMESxkVwgzWTcP52-6omouhtt1ni3cE

Post #535269  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:09 am 

https://tbrfootball.com/paul-merson-say ... very-good/

Like Merson, my mind about Ødegaard has changed. He has been very good for us lately. The bigger tests are coming soon when we take on the teams challenging for 4th. Hope he wows us.

Post #535270  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:10 am 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/11/a ... -interest/

Likely clickbait
Hoping it is nonsense as well

Post #535271  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:33 am 

It’s being reported that Haaland is expected to move this summer and prefers Man City ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

How does that even work when Barcelona were reported to be billions in debt and Real Madrid weren’t much better off. It’s like they have a magic pot of money.

Post #535272  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:33 am 

Gnabry has always showed a love for us, contract talks aside, why would he come back here and not to go somewhere else were the talks break down? And could we even meet his asking price?

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... UtiOr-F0mg

Post #535273  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:46 am 

Still trying to process Flamini worth an estimated 10 billion. Now he's going in business with Özil. Matt, remember your ol buddy American Gooner who bigged you up incessently on the SG forum, :12hello-bye: you haven't forgotten me have you?

Hmm....just thought of something. We don't want the Kroenkes. Usmanov is...well...that's not an option. Flam, I have an idea for you mate.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mathieu-flamini-arsenal-billionaire-ozil-26415266?fbclid=IwAR1g8kfipn7h89EMHwp_WPF00JtvwLtpetxWXI_LRDk2mMrJOZvB_dPy914

Post #535274  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:54 am 

What do we hope today for united spurs ?

Draw ?

Post #535275  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Draw ?

First option
Draw
Second option utd win

Really can't have spurs winning.
They are a bigger threat right now to us finishing 4th.
Really hope they start to tail off.
Conte, kane and son becoming very annoying.
Next 3 games for us are huge.
Might sound silly but more worried about the villa game of the next 3.
Gerrard will have them hyped up and they can do us damage if we don't turn up focused and on it.
Liverpool in a way is a free hit.
6 or 7 points from next 9 would be good.

Post #535276  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Draw ?

Definitely a draw.

Post #535277  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Draw ?

Definitely a draw.

…plus 4 red cards and a few stretchers

Post #535278  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:53 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Definitely a draw.

…plus 4 red cards and a few stretchers

With points deduction and a two year ban for Harry Kane for having an annoying face.

Post #535279  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:07 am 

If united lose that actually they have big problems. You couldn’t rule them out but they will be quite adrift

Post #535280  Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If united lose that actually they have big problems. You couldn’t rule them out but they will be quite adrift

Spurs worry me a bit more at the moment, plus we have to play them, plus they are spurs, so a united win would please me more.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13379, 13380, 13381, 13382, 13383, 13384, 13385 ... 14084  Next