Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 329 guests

Post #530361  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:09 pm 

DHD wrote:
Not sure we were ever serious. I doubt it would’ve been the money. Think Partey. Think Pépé.

We may moan about our spending policy but the evidence suggests we will pay what’s needed to secure our targets.

We have spent recently but not wisely. We seem to have bought players without enough consideration to the personality of the player and thought towards settling in to the league. We very, very rarely shop for English based players, there is a much greater certainty of those players being able to continue the form that sparked the interest in the first place.

Post #530362  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 pm 

Buendia fee to villa is £33m, 5m in add ons and 10% of any future sell on fee.
Effectively over the £40m that Norwich wanted

Post #530363  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:
Not sure we were ever serious. I doubt it would’ve been the money. Think Partey. Think Pépé.

We may moan about our spending policy but the evidence suggests we will pay what’s needed to secure our targets.

We have spent recently but not wisely. We seem to have bought players without enough consideration to the personality of the player and thought towards settling in to the league. We very, very rarely shop for English based players, there is a much greater certainty of those players being able to continue the form that sparked the interest in the first place.

Wouldn’t argue with your point about spending wisely Rich but with respect, that wasn’t my point. Recent history suggests that if we really want someone, we pay the money.

The purchases may have been unwise, but money does not seem to have been a major issue.

Post #530364  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:34 pm 

DHD wrote:

I agree. We have spent big whe we supposed;y wanted a player. I am not sure Buendia was a must have.

Post #530365  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:12 pm 

A Chelsea supporting friend of mine sent me this.
Attachment:

Post #530366  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Shows how Chelsea have set up their selling policy perfectly. Because they’ve spent a lot more than us on transfers in. £220m in the last window alone. They’ve just sold Tomori to Milan for £25m.
We’re left with duds we can’t shift and have to accept peanuts, or we screw up contracts and players leave for free.

Also villa at £254m, the table says since 2016 but in Villa’s case it might as well be from 2019 because that’s all in the last two seasons. A club who are seriously investing in their team.

Post #530367  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:50 pm 

Darren wrote:
I know we’ve been *%^@ of late, but I honestly don’t believe a player would choose Villa over us even with us being in this state. Either, he’s not our first, primary target or we weren’t in seriously in for him. I get it may fit the narrative of how bad we are when it comes to transfers, but I tend to err on the side of this being b%*&s%*^. If we want him, I reckon we’d have signed him or will sign him.

I think Villa have just thought strategically about this and totally outmanoeuvred us. Knowing we really want Ødegaard and there would be a delay they slipped in, paid a bit above our offers and secured the player. Ødegaard, and Arteta’s desire to obtain him could really hurt us. We should put a date on this with Real Madrid, preferably in the next week or so and either buy him or move on to our next target. I don’t think I value him anywhere near 60 million but if he becomes the only viable target left we will be stuck with paying over the odds. We can’t wait until after the Euros for this to happen.

No use blaming the Kroenke the money was there.

We need players who will score goals as well as make them. A lot of the players on the market do one or the other

Post #530368  Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Our targets must be elsewhere I’d have thought.

Wouldn’t go losing your *%^@ quite just yet.

Well if we aren't going for other targets, then something's gone awfully wrong. But a lot has gone awfully wrong anyway. :15laughter:

Post #530369  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:17 am 

I have found no official confirmation from AVilla that they have signed this bloke.

Post #530370  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 am 

Buendia has the same agent as Martinez according to Charles Watts. Both are apparently with the Argentina team for the WC qualifiers.

Post #530371  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:56 am 

I did like the idea of Buendia but one take I saw on Twitter is that at £38m that is a lot of money, and considering most of Europe is stone cold broke there will be much better deals out there this summer. Players are going to be signed for half the price clubs were quoted only 12 months ago. The question is whether we think those in charge of our transfers are capable of making it work

Post #530372  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I have found no official confirmation from AVilla that they have signed this bloke.

The assumption here that Buendia is joining Aston Villa seems based, or at least began with, Darren’s post 530344 on page 13259. He said he “Preferred Ødegaard anyway.” As I clarified yesterday, so did I. Myself, I was struggling to feel excited about spending a lot of money on a player who has been around a while (he’s 24) and the biggest clubs who have put him in their teams are Getafe (who after giving him two years in their side sent him on loan to a third tier Spanish outfit I’d never heard of before), and poxy Norwich bloody City. Especially if he could possibly end up competing for Saka’s place.

Darren also provided a link to a tweet by someone called Paddy Davitt who said words to the effect that Buendia to Villa was a done deal and should be confirmed in the next day or twenty four hours.

Now I don’t spend much time on Twitter and had never heard of this Paddy Davitt before. The question that needs addressing is whether he’s a reliable source. I haven’t got the faintest idea. Maybe Darren knows, or someone else here?

Post #530373  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:03 am 

Apparently Buendia already had a medical while in currently in Argentina.
Several reports from the Guardian, NBC Sports, Goal, state varying amounts from £30M/£32M plus with add-ons amounting to £40M to £56M total.
That's some deal.

Post #530374  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:54 am 

I would have liked to have seen Buendia arrive as he seems like a rare mix of goals and assists. However, I don’t know the extent of our interest in him so I can’t say whether we’ve screwed up or not.

If he was not top of our list all I can say is that I hope we are able to secure our top target and are not messing around waiting for Madrid to change their mind on Ødegaard.

Fingers crossed that for once we have a shrewd plan in place and can execute it accordingly.

Post #530375  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:19 am 

Arseblog saying we are now turning our attention to 27 yo Rodrigo De Paul. Never heard of him although people are saying he is in demand. Always worry about players who have never played in the EPL. They don’t always have a good first or second season. Partey was hardly a success. Pépé taken 2 years. And many like Mustafi, SK and Torriera never really get there.

Post #530376  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:20 am 

socrates wrote:
I would have liked to have seen Buendia arrive as he seems like a rare mix of goals and assists. However, I don’t know the extent of our interest in him so I can’t say whether we’ve screwed up or not.

Yeah, I think he would've been a fine addition but it's too early for despair over missing a player who only has one year in the PL behind him. If we don't manage to get a creative attacking midfielder at all this summer then that would be the time to rue missing out on Buendia.

Post #530377  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:24 am 

There is a weird perception that Arsenal are now some sort of mid table club, whose status is on the level of Everton, Leeds or Aston Villa. That might be true when looking at this seasons league table in isolation, but I very much doubt that players see us that way. In our worst season in decades we still finished ahead of them all, and while Villa and Leeds have been in the Championship for years, Arsenal has had consistent European football for more than two decades. There's no doubt in my mind we can still attract very good players, it's all about identifying the right ones.

Post #530378  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 am 

Linked with Wolves Ruben Neves for £35m.

A couple of seasons ago when Wolves were flying he was brilliant but I think his stock had fallen a bit recently. Very good player technically but a bit slow and £35m seems at least £10m too much in the current market.

Post #530379  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:00 am 

socrates wrote:
Linked with Wolves Ruben Neves for £35m.

A couple of seasons ago when Wolves were flying he was brilliant but I think his stock had fallen a bit recently. Very good player technically but a bit slow and £35m seems at least £10m too much in the current market.

And we’re rumoured to be selling Xhaka for half that price. Doesn’t seem like a significant upgrade.
Lack of pace, power and mobility is killing us in so many positions so we can’t keep signing players without those attributes.

Post #530380  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am 

Leicester signing Edouard for £15m. Add the signing of Soumare for £20m and that’s two very good deals for them. Smart quick business by a club who has made a habit of being very very clever in the transfer market. Selling a big name, reinvesting and taking a step forward every time

Post #530381  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 am 

Rich wrote:
Leicester signing Edouard for £15m. Add the signing of Soumare for £20m and that’s two very good deals for them. Smart quick business by a club who has made a habit of being very very clever in the transfer market. Selling a big name, reinvesting and taking a step forward every time

Hi Rich,

Remarkable business at great prices. If both players work out they could look a steal by the end of next season.

As someone else said, the very definition of outsmarting the market.

Post #530382  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:09 pm 

I said a few weeks ago and will repeat it. Let's recruit the person or persons who do the scouting and deals for Leicester. :58big-emoticons:

Many thought were a one off myself included. They are a big club on the pitch without the global fanbase.

Post #530383  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:17 pm 

If I was a Norwich fan, pleased to be back in the Premiership, I'd be a bit cheesed off to see my club selling one of the guys who made promotion possible. We know it is all about the money, but selling a key player to a team that had in recent times, like Norwich, been in the Championship or in the Premiership relegation zone does not speak of much ambition?

Post #530384  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:55 pm 

I'm just not convinced by the Neves potential transfer. Wolves have got a bit of a stale squad right now, and have a new boss coming in who wants to reshape the team, they will be looking for big money from a saleable asset. Neves and Traore are probably top of that list. I just think there are much more dynamic midfielders in the league. Neves strikes me as a metronome type player - which is not to be underated but I think we need more energy and speed from our midfield. I prefer Bissouma even though I am not convinced he's the ideal partner for Partey.

Post #530385  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:58 pm 

There seems to be a lot of interest in Saliba, Newcastle now said to want him on loan. I don't have a huge problem loaning him until he's ready but his value on his contract will be running down and I doubt we've done anything so far that would make him want to sign an extension. He was one of the best CB in France for his loan last year. If we hadn't already signed him his performances would probably be of the sort which would be alerting our scouts who are on the look out for a right sided young CB with pace, passing ability and physical presence.
At the very least we should be making proper money from the loan deals.

Post #530386  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:12 pm 

We're taking Arteta's word for it that he's not ready. I trust Arteta in pretty much everything else but a few things and Saliba is one of them. I want to see Saliba in an Arsenal shirt play a couple of times before I'm convinced he's not ready. He may not be but I'm no longer taking anyone's word for it. He could be playing against Hibernian and other friendlies for one. Saliba must have parked in his reserved parking spot. His exclusion is a head scratcher.

Post #530387  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:17 pm 

Neves is an interesting one. On paper, it seems like replacing Xhaka with him is a sideway move at best. They have some of the same flaws - lack of mobility and speed, and they aren't great at beating the press. Neves doesn't have a tendency to make the mistakes Xhaka does, but on the other hand his passing is a lot more conservative and he isn't as much of a physical presence. On the other hand, Neves has been playing in a much more rigid, defensive minded formation at Wolves, so there is a possibility he'll show more ability when given the chance in a more attack minded team (which is at least what Arsenal are trying to be). Always thought he was a good player at least.

Post #530388  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:34 pm 

Ban loan transfers

Would Make football a whole lot better.

Post #530389  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
There seems to be a lot of interest in Saliba, Newcastle now said to want him on loan. I don't have a huge problem loaning him until he's ready but his value on his contract will be running down and I doubt we've done anything so far that would make him want to sign an extension.

That’s of course a worry even if he starts playing and does well enough to retain his place. I can’t help wondering if Arsenal have severely compromised any affinity Saliba ever had with the club, not only to the extent that he regrets joining us but also increasing his eagerness to spend his career elsewhere?

Post #530390  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:55 pm 

Maybe we didn't pay the add ons for the agent? :42laughter:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57371870

Post #530391  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Attachment:
netspend.jpg

Well I find this shocking and somewhat disgraceful.

You associate with Chelsea supporters ?

:12hello-bye:

Post #530392  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ban loan transfers

Agree. 100%

Post #530393  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:24 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ban loan transfers

Agree. 100%

Gets my vote too.

Post #530394  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:40 pm 

I’ve little or no doubt that many players would be against banning loans. His loan to Newcastle has certainly benefited Willock, as well as Newcastle. Probably Arsenal whether it convinces Arteta to keep him, or if not sell him for a higher transfer fee than would have been the case before the loan. Exactly the same applies to Lingard, with West Ham instead of Newcastle and Manchester United instead of Arsenal. There will be countless other cases where it’s been beneficial all round.

I’m not a huge fan of the loan system. But I’m not convinced it’s all bad. Might there be an argument for modifying it, like having formal limits on the number of players that clubs can have on loan and send out on loan?

Post #530395  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I’ve little or no doubt that many players would be against banning loans. His loan to Newcastle has certainly benefited Willock, as well as Newcastle. Probably Arsenal whether it convinces Arteta to keep him, or if not sell him for a higher transfer fee than would have been the case before the loan. Exactly the same applies to Lingard, with West Ham instead of Newcastle and Manchester United instead of Arsenal. There will be countless other cases where it’s been beneficial all round.

I’m not a huge fan of the loan system. But I’m not convinced it’s all bad. Might there be an argument for modifying it, like having formal limits on the number of players that clubs can have on loan and send out on loan?

Except that if we didn’t have Ceballos and Ødegaard on loan then Willock would have had a better chance to shine with us.

Post #530396  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Except that if we didn’t have Ceballos and Ødegaard on loan then Willock would have had a better chance to shine with us.

Hi ltg,

Did any club above us in the PL sign a player on loan, especially without an option to buy?

Post #530397  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:14 pm 

Neves -5 goals and 1 assist for the season. Never been much of a scorer, even in Portugal. About slow as Xhaka and overpriced. This would not be an improvement. Must be a wind up. We surely aren’t at this level. Hold on he does have nice hairdo. Very neat. That’s funny when I typed it autocorrect changed Neves to never.

Post #530398  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

Did any club above us in the PL sign a player on loan, especially without an option to buy?

Tottenham / Bale ?

Post #530399  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:32 pm 

A blast from the past. Wonderful player for us. https://www.legendspublishing.net/produ ... wjw4jXrVBI

Post #530400  Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ceballos made a significant contribution to us winning the FA Cup last season. Would we have won it with Willock instead of him? I’m not convinced. He was poor this season but because of his contribution to the FA Cup win, I see the Ceballos loan signing as a positive.

As I do Ødegaard’s. An outstanding player. Shame we couldn’t keep him, assuming we don’t. But at least we had him for a bit, and I’m glad we did.

[ 572004 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13257, 13258, 13259, 13260, 13261, 13262, 13263 ... 14301  Next