Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 277 guests

Post #547561  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:20 pm 

Jorginho is fantastic in a controlled game (he obviously contributed to that depending how well he plays) but Bayerns accuracy and speed on the counter made it difficult for him.

Some really big decisions for Arteta in the second leg.
Right now the only players I think should be assured to start are:
Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Rice (as a 6 or 8) Saka and Havertz (as an 8 or 9)

Post #547562  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:29 pm 

We made some mistakes we don’t normally make. I still think we’re a better team than Bayern but it was almost like the playing field was levelled due to the experience Bayerns players have in knock out football compared to us

Post #547563  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 pm 

Tuchel complaining there was a moment we had a goal kick and the ref started the game and Raya gave the ball to one of our CB who put our hand on the ball to (in our view) actually take the goal kick. Tuchel saying it should have been a penalty.
I’d be shocked if a ‘technical’ penalty like that would ever be given

Post #547564  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tuchel complaining there was a moment we had a goal kick and the ref started the game and Raya gave the ball to one of our CB who put our hand on the ball to (in our view) actually take the goal kick. Tuchel saying it should have been a penalty.

:laughing7: What a desperate nob. Getting the tin tack after being embarrassed by Xhaka’s boys.

Post #547565  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

I do think one day a ref will award a penalty when the CB handles it to put it on the ground before passing it to the keeper.
It's obvious what's happening but I'm paranoid one day a jobsworth ref will give a penalty and technically count it as handball.

Post #547566  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:44 pm 

https://x.com/eduardohagn/status/177781 ... -j6VVZXEoA

This angle makes Kane’s elbow look worse. I’m not saying its a red because unless you very clearly take a big swing with the point of your elbow you be be e get sent off for this, but it’s definitely not an accident and players often get yellows in Europe for elbows that are clumsy and this was more deliberate

Post #547567  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:48 pm 

david.d wrote:
Rich wrote:

I do think one day a ref will award a penalty when the CB handles it to put it on the ground before passing it to the keeper.
It's obvious what's happening but I'm paranoid one day a jobsworth ref will give a penalty and technically count it as handball.

The ref doesn’t blow the whistle for every restart though does he? You see plenty of free kicks in the middle of the park where a player passes the ball to the player who is actually going to take it, that player (or even gk outside his area) usually handballs it then takes the free kick. If you were a jobsworth ref you could say you already took the free kick but there is something called the spirit of the game which should be upheld.
If it was clear that our intention was to take the goal kick and then we saw that we were being closed down too quickly for our liking so pretended we hadn’t taken it I’d have a bit more of an open mind on it being a pedantic penalty, but not the way this has been described as happening

Post #547568  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:49 pm 

Frustrating not to get the win but at least we didn't lose.
Crucial moment early on when White could put us 2 0 up.
How's that not a bloody penalty???
Didn't even go to var.
Ridiculous.

Post #547569  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:02 pm 

This certainly isn’t a case of Neuer just standing his ground, how often do we hear that if the defender has been foolish enough to dangle a leg out then why should the forward actively avoid him and possibly worsen his chance because he’s tried to avoid him.

I do understand the argument that Saka initiated the contact but I do still think it should have been given as a penalty

Attachments:

Post #547570  Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:30 pm 

Jesus probably has to start the second leg. His best performances have been in the champions league and the fact he’s our most experienced champions league player may not be a coincidence.
Rice as the 6, Havertz as the 8 to win duels(!) I’d play Tomiyasu at left back then it’s a 50/50 for Trossard and Martinelli. Trossard on current form but we might need Martinelli’s raw pace on the counter.

Post #547571  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:27 am 

Ash wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Saka was stupid to try to draw a penalty. He was clear on goal :8angers:

Watch it again Neuer would have taken him out whatever.

And that is why he was being stupid there. Let Neuer take him out. He should focus on getting the ball in the net. Momentum was with him going forward.
I am sure his very loud outburst at the referee post-match was more a cover up of his own poor choice.

All said, he is still loved :9adore-boo:

Post #547572  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 am 

Rich wrote:
This certainly isn’t a case of Neuer just standing his ground, how often do we hear that if the defender has been foolish enough to dangle a leg out then why should the forward actively avoid him and possibly worsen his chance because he’s tried to avoid him.

I do understand the argument that Saka initiated the contact but I do still think it should have been given as a penalty

Agree that it should be a penalty. But Saka's action gave referee an option (excuse) to deny it. Saka should have simply played his way towards goal. It was wide open for him to have a go at. For me, it was an error of judgement from Saka. And a surprising one too.

Post #547573  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Jesus probably has to start the second leg. His best performances have been in the champions league and the fact he’s our most experienced champions league player may not be a coincidence.
Rice as the 6, Havertz as the 8 to win duels(!) I’d play Tomiyasu at left back then it’s a 50/50 for Trossard and Martinelli. Trossard on current form but we might need Martinelli’s raw pace on the counter.

Definitely not Kiwior. Not ready for these big matches. And too easily passed by Sane.

Prefer Tomiyasu because of his size to better match Sane. And also better going forward.

Zinny only when a plan B is required. He is still too error prone and careless. We cannot afford to be scrambling back because he decides to get cocky, leading to a poor pass.

Post #547574  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:13 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Agree that it should be a penalty. But Saka's action gave referee an option (excuse) to deny it. Saka should have simply played his way towards goal. It was wide open for him to have a go at. For me, it was an error of judgement from Saka. And a surprising one too.

Yep, I’d agree with this. Saka tried too hard to win the penalty and it counted against him

Post #547575  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 am 

The media are making a big deal of the Gabriel handball to take the goal kick. I’d like to see any example of that being given as a penalty, or even any example of that being given as handball anywhere on the pitch in any game in the history of football.

Post #547576  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:26 am 

When you play teams like Bayern in the latter stages of the CL you need to have your big boys pants on and last night it felt like we were far too nervy and naive. We've looked a little nervy in most of our european games and I think its something we have to overcome. It's a steep learning curve because any loss of concentration or complacency is quickly punished.

Bayern may not be the team they were but they still have an abundance of pace and quality in their forward line. Playing a high line is always really risky against that level of speed and technical ability.

To me Kiwior always looks a bit like Bambi on ice when asked to defend 1v1 in the left back area. He's a tall lad and it seems to take him a while to sort his feet out and get going. He's been fine in the majority of games he's played but he's definitely not long term LB material.

The issue we have is that for all his technical ability Zinchenko can't defend at all and doesn't even have recovery pace to fall back on. I'd play Tomiyasu at LB in the return fixture, more for his defensive reliability and pace than anything else.

I thought Jesus and Trossard made a big impact when they came on. Martinelli has looked worryingly off the pace since his return from injury and Partey doesn't look right either.

Still all to play for but I think it may just be a step too far to get a win or draw in Germany.

Post #547577  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Definitely not Kiwior. Not ready for these big matches. And too easily passed by Sane.

Prefer Tomiyasu because of his size to better match Sane. And also better going forward.

Zinny only when a plan B is required. He is still too error prone and careless. We cannot afford to be scrambling back because he decides to get cocky, leading to a poor pass.

Kiwior is ok but there aren't many fullbacks you can leave isolated against the likes of Sane. The way Jesus helped him in the City game was exemplary. Jesus was brilliant again last night. It's such a pity he isn't 100%.

I thought Zinny was ok when he came. He definitely helps us progress the ball and he was decent defensively. Partey is a long way off his best still, which is disappointing as Jorginho can't be over-relied on.

I suppose Havertz will have to drop back to that left 8. Trossard and Jesus having minutes up front is not bad at all.

Post #547578  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:51 am 

Saka penalty debatable. They should have had one when Gabriel the ball up after Raya kicked it too him. A stonewall penalty which the referee said was a mistake. We got lucky there. Their defence doesn't seem that solid. We have chance in Munich.

Post #547579  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:13 am 

I didn't think it was a penalty if I'm honest after seeing the VAR. He should be looking to score at that range. Too good of a player not to go for it.
As others have noted, subs were crucial. Can't blame Ben White for not scoring. He's a full back, former center back. He got it on target. Asking him to place it to an area of the goal is asking too much of his skill set.
It takes years to get comfortable in the CL. It's almost unheard of a team being out of it this long to go to the semi finals. That being said, I think it will likely come down to penalty kicks reverse fixture. BM will be far more attacking at home and we have the ability to counter. Martinelli and Havertz again maybe but Jesus has more experience in these games.

Overall, we gave too much respect to the Bayern Munich name and legacy rather than the team that has lost the Bundesliga and is getting beat handily by weak German sides.

Post #547580  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:04 am 

Atmosphere was good but a bit nervy however I had no idea the away goals rule had been scrapped. I do wonder if many in the ground knew this too hence the nervy atmosphere. Basically it means rather than being utterly dead and buried it’s all to play for.

Post #547581  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:46 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Saka penalty debatable. They should have had one when Gabriel the ball up after Raya kicked it too him. A stonewall penalty which the referee said was a mistake. We got lucky there. Their defence doesn't seem that solid. We have chance in Munich.

I'm with you Gunfire. Reading on here blue murder on the travesty of a stonewall penalty and then having now watched the game, bloody hell. Neuer move his leg about 3mm and Saka dangled his out to create the contact. If that had been given against us I'd have been fuming.

Munich so good with the counter. Sane and to a lesser degree Gnabry charging down the pitch the instant they got possession.
Kiwior is a CB playing at LB so can't fault him for finding it tough against Sane. Tomiyasu if fit has to start.

All to play for but will be bloody tough without the crowd and atmosphere.

Coincidence or maybe just tactics against the super high press, Madrid countered at pace against City as well. And what an absolutely cracking game of football that was with some fantastic goals.
on the other side of the quality equation, Grealish for 100m. What a lazy, pompous and complete waste of money.

Post #547582  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:48 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Partey is very poor

He hasn't played in 6 months so might give him a week or so before starting to frame up the gallows. :1laughter:

Post #547583  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:57 am 

danny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
i prefer these old videos when the scoreline isn't in the title. It hits different when you don't know what will happen.

Must have been amazing to be at the games in those days. Much more pure.

Much better and much worse.

Very open but quite entertaining stuff. Bog like pitch and some of the tackles flying in. Oooof. 2 of them at this time slot. 1st one given as a foul. 2nd one not even a foul. Don't build 'em like they used to.

https://youtu.be/iLXnstDSJzY?t=857

Post #547584  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:18 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I'm with you Gunfire. Reading on here blue murder on the travesty of a stonewall penalty and then having now watched the game, bloody hell. Neuer move his leg about 3mm and Saka dangled his out to create the contact. If that had been given against us I'd have been fuming.

Munich so good with the counter. Sane and to a lesser degree Gnabry charging down the pitch the instant they got possession.
Kiwior is a CB playing at LB so can't fault him for finding it tough against Sane. Tomiyasu if fit has to start.

All to play for but will be bloody tough without the crowd and atmosphere.

Coincidence or maybe just tactics against the super high press, Madrid countered at pace against City as well. And what an absolutely cracking game of football that was with some fantastic goals.
on the other side of the quality equation, Grealish for 100m. What a lazy, pompous and complete waste of money.

Hi Granty

I didn’t see the game but what was the issue with Grealish?

He’s always reminded me of Alex Hleb a bit. Looks slick on the ball but honestly not much actual output

Post #547585  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 pm 

After last nights game there were lots of headlines or narratives the press could have gone with, but this really shouldn’t be one of them.
Could have gone with a pro Arsenal fight back
Could have gone with a pro Bayern showing their true class
But no, it’s a headline that seems to misrepresent the game that finished 2-2 and bash Arsenal. Never ceases to amaze me

Attachments:

Post #547586  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:23 pm 

Honestly I’m not really happy with Raya for the first goal. He bottled it and should have run to try and claim it. Just not brave enough he’s got to try and claim that ball or it’s a goal even if it means getting hurt

Such a contrast to Neuer who is probably one of the best keepers I’ve seen.

Post #547587  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:25 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Partey is very poor

He hasn't played in 6 months so might give him a week or so before starting to frame up the gallows. :1laughter:

Just stating a fact from the night. No worries of the gallows yet, my carpentry tools are still in the box. :icon_cheesygrin:

Post #547588  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Honestly I’m not really happy with Raya for the first goal. He bottled it and should have run to try and claim it. Just not brave enough he’s got to try and claim that ball or it’s a goal even if it means getting hurt

Neuer was very very cool

Post #547589  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
After last nights game there were lots of headlines or narratives the press could have gone with, but this really shouldn’t be one of them.
But no, it’s a headline that seems to misrepresent the game that finished 2-2 and bash Arsenal. Never ceases to amaze me

Well, the only way to silence them is to get a result at Bayern.

Post #547590  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:41 pm 

Funny how a lot of people are saying Arsenal blew it based on Ben White’s missed chance to go 2-0 up. Could you not make exactly the same reasoning for Sane going clean through for 3-1 and failing to score because he dallied and let White catch him up.

To me it looked like Arsenal scored a couple of goals you’d generally say were more good attacking play rather than bad defensive errors. Whereas Bayerns two goals were very much from 2 Arsenal mistakes.

Pretty classic case of build them up so you can knock them down. Many in the press and many Arsenal fans felt we’d steamroller Bayern. So when we didn’t they lay in to us.

Post #547591  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:44 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Neuer was very very cool

Luck does play a big part with GK. Raya made a mistake charging from goal because they scored from it, but the bigger mistake was the defence giving away an easy pass than anything Raya did.
Neuer mis judged a through ball in the last minute and dangled a foot, penalty not given but if it was - which it could have been - then he loses the match for them in the last minute.
Make mistake and get punished means it’ll be remembered and you’ll get criticised. Get away with it and it’s forgotten.
Ps: I’m not saying Raya is a better gk than Neuer

Post #547592  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:21 pm 

Just read the Man Utd game is re-scheduled for May 12th. Hopefully not, but it could be the title decider.

Post #547593  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:23 pm 

I didn't think it was a penalty with VAR, before they went to VAR in the moment I did. Anyway this is kinda convincing me otherwise now.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1439671173602142

Post #547594  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:25 pm 

One good thing about this squad, they are a bit petty in a good way. They want revenge for what they perceive as previous wrongs (Newcastle) or losses (West Ham).

The central defense marshalled Kane pretty well. Hopefully with this game under their belts they'll go to Germany wanting to make a better account of themselves.

Post #547595  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm 

By the way I'm not sure Saka had such an open goal as had been described if he had stayed on his feet after going round Neuer. He was going more sideways than towards goal and there was definitely 1 Bayern player who would have been directly in his shooting line. Obviously once you're past the gk it is a really good chance - but maybe not as sure a goal as people are making out

Post #547596  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just read the Man Utd game is re-scheduled for May 12th. Hopefully not, but it could be the title decider.

Think it was an obvious reschedule to the sunday 4:30 game. Its our penultimate game. If we go in to it needing a win for the title I'd bit your hand off right now! Liverpool go away to Villa the day later and City go away to Spurs the day after that.

Then all 3 teams have very winnable home games on the final day. We really need to be in pole position after the Man U game

Post #547597  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
By the way I'm not sure Saka had such an open goal as had been described if he had stayed on his feet after going round Neuer. He was going more sideways than towards goal and there was definitely 1 Bayern player who would have been directly in his shooting line. Obviously once you're past the gk it is a really good chance - but maybe not as sure a goal as people are making out

Yeah. Their cover was getting back fast.

Post #547598  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Neuer was very very cool

Luck does play a big part with GK. Raya made a mistake charging from goal because they scored from it, but the bigger mistake was the defence giving away an easy pass than anything Raya did.
Neuer mis judged a through ball in the last minute and dangled a foot, penalty not given but if it was - which it could have been - then he loses the match for them in the last minute.
Make mistake and get punished means it’ll be remembered and you’ll get criticised. Get away with it and it’s forgotten.

Raya wasn't great on their penalty. He came well off his line (so it probably would have been a retake if Kane hadn't scored) and he telegraphed which way he was going,so Kane just had to roll it in.

Post #547599  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:10 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well, the only way to silence them is to get a result at Bayern.

Same journalist talking about Liverpool’s Quansah after the 2-2 with Man U, in a game where Liverpool were very wasteful, gave away the game, got knocked off top spot and Quansah himself was solely responsible for one of the goals. Comparing him to Roy Keane v Juve in ‘99.
Liverpool and Spurs don’t half have the media up their backsides

Attachments:

Post #547600  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:17 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Raya wasn't great on their penalty. He came well off his line (so it probably would have been a retake if Kane hadn't scored) and he telegraphed which way he was going,so Kane just had to roll it in.

True, but it was the same thing he did v Porto to get right in to the corners to make the two saves.
I think we can criticise where it’s deserved but criticising Raya for failing to save a penalty from one of the most clinical penalty takers in the world may be stretching it.
Kane won the battle as most takers usually do (80% of the time for all penalties since they started being counted)

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13687, 13688, 13689, 13690, 13691, 13692, 13693 ... 13710  Next