Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, john1, mcquilkie and 285 guests

Post #497401  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:46 am 

Usually with that many subs in a game like that, the other club gets more possession, you concede a goal or even 2. The one thing I liked was that we not only maintained but were still trying to get a goal. We stayed hungry.

Our game with Chelsea worries me. I was surprised how well they played against us. I thought we'd win that game. They are certainly inconsistent but at times Poch has them playing a strategic, organized 90 minutes. I saw it yesterday against City and from the first kick they were on us in our game.

We're going to have to come with the same energy we played Liverpool to win. We can get a draw but we are in a title race and wins are more precious now.

Post #497402  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:12 am 

Rich wrote:
https://x.com/plcpolice/status/1758907166872748393?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

Hope Sky do the full analysis of this over celebrating by Wolves after beating such an average team…

They won't though because they don't hold a grudge against them.

I don't hold grudges. My father used to though. I'll never forgive him for that.

Post #497403  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:06 am 

Of Man U win today they are just 3 points behind spurs in what will likely be a champions league spot. If they win we’re going to have to listen to a week of Man U being praised more than we have at any stage this season

Post #497404  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:09 am 

Rich wrote:
Of Man U win today they are just 3 points behind spurs in what will likely be a champions league spot. If they win we’re going to have to listen to a week of Man U being praised more than we have at any stage this season

Who cares. We're the ones in the title race, not them.

Post #497405  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:09 am 

Havertz won 12 duels in that match, double any other player. I know you don’t spend £65m for a player to win duels (he does do a lot more than just that) but these are the things that will please Arteta and keep Havertz in the team.

Arteta has put a huge emphasis on winning duels in this team and it’s key to our success, it just hasn’t been properly analysed by any pundit properly yet to understand its importance.

Post #497406  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:13 am 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Everyone wants recognition that is appropriate to what they’re doing. Of course we’re happy but the level at which we’re criticised and not given any credit compared to other teams is staggering.
Compare the level of praise spurs have had or the non criticism of Chelsea this year

Post #497407  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:15 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Especially pleased for Havertz .... under a lot of scrutiny ; plays a part without having a real telling influence , he signalled for that throw in to come his way and buried it ..... shows in spite of not having great success he isn't hiding .

Bit pissed with Arteta for subbing him immediately afterwards ; I'd have left him on to cement his confidence .

Seems baffling to me Mikel's mindset " Hmmm I've got to freshen things up "
:20hospitals: first cab off the rank it seems to be always Nketiah . I'd have thought it more beneficial to get Smith Rowe back to his pre injury form . Bring him on before Eddie

More likely it's a vote of confidence, showing that Havertz is seen as a core player who be featuring heavily in the two huge games we have in the next 6 days.

Post #497408  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 am 

Spurs have conceded 16 more goals than us and their xG conceded shows they should have conceded 25 more. Their defence is wide open week after week and they’re still mostly not getting punished enough for it.
There were people actually saying they’d take spurs back 4 over Arsenal’s earlier in the season!

Post #497409  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:40 am 

Rich wrote:
Havertz won 12 duels in that match, double any other player. I know you don’t spend £65m for a player to win duels (he does do a lot more than just that) but these are the things that will please Arteta and keep Havertz in the team.

Arteta has put a huge emphasis on winning duels in this team and it’s key to our success, it just hasn’t been properly analysed by any pundit properly yet to understand its importance.

He's winning duels and getting better and better at that free role. His positional sense is excellent.

Having these extra six-footers in the team is a massive bonus too. Six 6-footers in the team yesterday!

The beauty of this team is we now have multiple ways of scoring goals. We're dangerous on set pieces, against a low block (particularly if that means the opposition is going to concede corners and free kick), on transitions, and when teams try to press high.

Trossard has 8 goal contributions in 880 minutes in the league (excluding winning the penalty yesterday), i.e 0.82 per 90, reinforcing the impression that if we play him up front he'll almost always click. A gem of a player.

Post #497410  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:50 am 

Rich wrote:
Lincoln gooner wrote:

Everyone wants recognition that is appropriate to what they’re doing. Of course we’re happy but the level at which we’re criticised and not given any credit compared to other teams is staggering.
Compare the level of praise spurs have had or the non criticism of Chelsea this year

Spurs getting a CL place would be bad, but United sneaking in would be a real travesty. Five teams in the CL is rubbish.

Post #497411  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

He's winning duels and getting better and better at that free role. His positional sense is excellent.

Having these extra six-footers in the team is a massive bonus too. Six 6-footers in the team yesterday!

The beauty of this team is we now have multiple ways of scoring goals. We're dangerous on set pieces, against a low block (particularly if that means the opposition is going to concede corners and free kick), on transitions, and when teams try to press high.

Trossard has 8 goal contributions in 880 minutes in the league (excluding winning the penalty yesterday), i.e 0.82 per 90, reinforcing the impression that if we play him up front he'll almost always click. A gem of a player.

Havertz and Trossard interchanging positions in the last 2 games has the opponents befuddled and it’s brilliant to watch

Post #497412  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:03 am 

55 points, with 13 games and 39 points left to play for
W10 D2 L1 gives us 87 points I think that would be very close as long as the defeat isn’t City (a)

Post #497413  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 am 

Rich wrote:
Spurs have conceded 16 more goals than us and their xG conceded shows they should have conceded 25 more. Their defence is wide open week after week and they’re still mostly not getting punished enough for it.
There were people actually saying they’d take spurs back 4 over Arsenal’s earlier in the season!

Love seeing them lose, especially at home. However, they are playing way better than I and pretty much everyone else thought (perhaps even their own fans) after losing Kane. Kane was pivotal to them being in the CL and not buying a comparable replacement, no one though Son was enough.

They bought well in the midfield. The midfield is playing beyond expectations and that has made them top 4 contenders. I am still upset we only got a draw against them (Was it a Jorginho mistake). I thought we should have one even at a time in the season we weren't hitting top gear.

They are a tough team this year. Yes, at times they get bad results, but they are a tough team to beat. I am worried actually about playing them (Newcastle and Chelsea).

Post #497414  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:45 am 

Really interesting how last season it could definitely be argued that Zinchenko and Jesus were the catalyst to turn us in to title contenders- but with their patchy injury record we’ve evolved in to a team that doesn’t rely on them to still perform at the top level.

I think this is what Arteta had in mind this season, making us less predictable and less reliant on any individual for performance and fluidity. With so many options at full back (which was key for the Timber signing) teams don’t know if we’ll invert from the left or right or at all. Partey/Jorginho/Rice at the base in a double pivot or single pivot. Multiple options at 8. Havertz being able to play as an 8, a classic 9 or a floating 10.
The final steps for me are adding a high quality CF (Osimhen/Toney) something else on the wing with raw pace (Neto/Williams) someone in midfield with direct dribbling ability (could be smith-Rowe but I like Eze) and CB/FB cover (Diamonde for Cb or Frimpong for RB)

Post #497415  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Havertz and Trossard interchanging positions in the last 2 games has the opponents befuddled and it’s brilliant to watch

Yes, along with our corner kick tactics. It was obvious Burnley watched the films of the goals and were trying to neutralize Ben White from getting in front of the keeper. There should be an alternative if that happens.

Ødegaard dropping deep to give a second option to Rice from the back as well. But Trossard is hungry and is playing very well. Havertz finally improving. I have to think he wasn't discussed much by the opposition in the build up to our games and has snuck in under the radar a bit. Can't see any opposition manager spending time discussing how he is a threat. Perhaps they will now, but I can't see that prior.

Post #497416  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:14 am 

Kiwior deserves some credit. He played terribly at left back at the start of the season but has done well in recent games even supplying an assist yesterday.

The sequence of play where he shepherded the ball over the touchline was a decent example of defensive solidity. Really not sure you get this with Zinchenko

Post #497417  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 am 

Decaf wrote:

Err ahhm not so fast here Pythagorus ....... .... Gabriel , Saliba , White , Kiwior . Havertz , Raya , Rice

..... okay let's do the maths two plus three multiplied by 6 minus 23 ... I make that seven :6encouragement: pink Haka

Post #497418  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Err ahhm not so fast here Pythagorus ....... .... Gabriel , Saliba , White , Kiwior . Havertz , Raya , Rice

..... okay let's do the maths two plus three multiplied by 6 minus 23 ... I make that seven :6encouragement: pink Haka

Yes, you are right. I meant outfield players. :laughing7:

In any case, a far cry from the skilled midgets of yesteryear.

Post #497419  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kiwior deserves some credit. He played terribly at left back at the start of the season but has done well in recent games even supplying an assist yesterday.

The sequence of play where he shepherded the ball over the touchline was a decent example of defensive solidity. Really not sure you get this with Zinchenko

Kiwior keeps his place for my money. He seems to have figured out his role really well.

Post #497420  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm 

I heard one online pundit who supports a big club say "Arsenal look incredible, even though their fans are annoying".

I have personal friends who are Arsenal supporters. American but also Brits I've met largely at the pub in America. Also other countries. I have not heard any of them be over the top about us challenging for the last 18 months or so.

Just like on here, they are all cautiously optimistic. All support have a few idiots who will go online or call in to a show and be over the top and say we are better than Real Madrid.

Maybe in London it's like that. I've seen Tottenham fans do that. Maybe I am biased because of the rivalry but I've consistently heard Sperz fans overstate their place in the footballing world. Embarrassingly so at times.

Post #497421  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Love seeing them lose, especially at home. However, they are playing way better than I and pretty much everyone else thought (perhaps even their own fans) after losing Kane. Kane was pivotal to them being in the CL and not buying a comparable replacement, no one though Son was enough.

They bought well in the midfield. The midfield is playing beyond expectations and that has made them top 4 contenders. I am still upset we only got a draw against them (Was it a Jorginho mistake). I thought we should have one even at a time in the season we weren't hitting top gear.

They are a tough team this year. Yes, at times they get bad results, but they are a tough team to beat. I am worried actually about playing them (Newcastle and Chelsea).

Spurs under Conte after 25 games 45 points, Ange after 25 games 47 points.
Now I completely understand that they are very different managers and Ange looks far better set up for long term stability and his style of football is certainly more fun, but don’t let spurs fans kid anyone that the results are (at the moment) much better than when Conte took over

Post #497422  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:24 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Yes, you are right. I meant outfield players. :laughing7:

In any case, a far cry from the skilled midgets of yesteryear.

And still playing a very easy on the eye style of football that not just skilled midgets can play.
Pace and power - it was Wenger’s modus operandi until he became seduced by Fabregas and Barcelona and he stripped the team of it.
We are a seriously powerful team with great pace at the back to be able to defend high and more than enough pace up front to punish teams

Post #497423  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

We are also mixing it up more now. More balls over the top for runners. Gives the opposing manager more to think about. We must not allow them to "park the bus" to deny us.

Post #497424  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Agree with you. Glad he has started to play better with the team. Made me eat some humble pie, but I'm glad to eat it.

Post #497425  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:33 pm 

Szobaszlai 3 goals and 4 assists in the league - praised heavily for his impact
Havertz 5 goals and 3 assists in the league - called the worst signing of the summer and heavily criticised

Post #497426  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:34 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

careful ..... we have a maths genius within us :42laughter: :2laughter:

Post #497427  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:56 pm 

I think Kiwior is worth some applauding. He has had to jump into the proverbial deep end in a club that is playing for top honors. He's been fairly steady and relatively error free. Will he be Sol Campbell? No. But he's a solid defender that will get better with minutes.

Post #497428  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs under Conte after 25 games 45 points, Ange after 25 games 47 points.
Now I completely understand that they are very different managers and Ange looks far better set up for long term stability and his style of football is certainly more fun, but don’t let spurs fans kid anyone that the results are (at the moment) much better than when Conte took over

The former had Kane. I don't think that can be overstated. He was vital to them being a CL level side. He and Son were the Batman and Robin of the league more or less. I think what they have done with primarily Son as the go to guy is very good. Mentally, it must have been bad losing Kane as well.

They get a proper, quality number 9 with their midfield they will be tough to keep out of the opposition goal. Son is 31 and with how he plays he's got maybe 2 more years of high production. Replacing him will be a monumental task. For me, the better Korean player compared to Park at Man Utd. Although Park had a far higher work rate.

Post #497429  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:23 pm 

One of the worst tackles I’ve seen this season by Holgate there, deserved red. Amazing that the ref only gave a yellow to start with, correctly told to review by VAR. Its decisions like these is why VAR has to stay, we cannot get rid of it because it really does correct the shockingly bad decisions

https://x.com/eduardohagn/status/175922 ... -j6VVZXEoA

This is the tackle. If you properly understand the intent and mentality of footballers you know a tackle like this is done because Holgate is convinced he can win the ball but he isn’t content with just winning the ball he wants to leave something on his opponent with his follow through and is of the opinion that by winning the ball first anything after is fair game - because refs have historically rarely punished this (they have started to) this is exactly the kind of attitude that was in play when teams played us for so many years

Post #497430  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:44 pm 

Champions league knock out game next, so great to have these games back it’s been too long. However, away in the CL on Wednesday night in Portugal then coming back for a Saturday evening game v Newcastle. I wouldn’t underestimate how much Wednesday will take out of us. There really may be need for some rotation so having the likes of Tomiyasu, Zinchenko, Jesus, Partey all ready to play a part will be crucial as I’m sure there will need to be some rotation

Post #497431  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:32 pm 

Great decision ref. :14laughter:

https://x.com/afcamden/status/175922415 ... 2SVs7ar8TQ

Love the player complaining about the yellow before it got changed :laughing7:

Post #497432  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:10 pm 

Casemiro a red card waiting to happen.

Post #497433  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:17 pm 

How poor is Kalvin Phillips now? There is no way he should be going to the euros. I’d take Mainoo over him easily, I’d also take Ross Barkley over him

Post #497434  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:19 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Every game he is. Compare the reaction to his disciplinary record against Xhaka…..Xhaka had a short fuse and could make a reckless tackle but not once was he sent off for two yellows

Post #497435  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Wilder admitted it was a red, but I don’t like the way he said ‘according to the officials and var’ as though there is a hint of doubt he also said ‘we have to admit, me included, that the game has moved on’ insinuating it was t that long ago that you could make tackles like that fair and square! Blimey, that kind of thing has been a red card for 30 years.

You may realise that I dislike Wilder, he’s one of those old school managers with an arrogant chip on their shoulder

Post #497436  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Subbed off at half time along with Maguire. Absolute pair of liabilities. Man U will probably win yet another game they have wobbled badly in. Very very lucky team.

Even the two goals they scored, terrible defensive back pass and a deflection, not really any great play from them but they found themselves 2-0 up

Post #497437  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wilder admitted it was a red, but I don’t like the way he said ‘according to the officials and var’ as though there is a hint of doubt he also said ‘we have to admit, me included, that the game has moved on’ insinuating it was t that long ago that you could make tackles like that fair and square! Blimey, that kind of thing has been a red card for 30 years.

You may realise that I dislike Wilder, he’s one of those old school managers with an arrogant chip on their shoulder

Did you see the clip of him moaning about the Lino eating a sandwich :laughing7:

What an absolute helmet

Post #497438  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:46 pm 

Lakonga was very good today

Post #497439  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Did you see the clip of him moaning about the Lino eating a sandwich :laughing7:

What an absolute helmet

Yep, he’s been charged by the FA for that interview. As well as demanding respect (eating a sandwich was deemed disrespectful by Wilder) from the officials when he wanted to rant at them at the end of the game, he also said a former Ref had said to him that Sheff Utd will not get any 50/50 decisions for the rest of the season.

Pillock

Post #497440  Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:46 pm 

Worth noting when Liverpool fans moan about their injury list that two of their injuries (Trent and Thiago) are because Liverpool rushed them back too early and made the injury worse.

Not to wish injury on teams/players but a few key injuries for Liverpool and City could be a big boost to our title chances. Rodri is absolutely key for City - I’m watching his yellow card count to hope he gets to 10 and gets a 2 game ban

[ 499796 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12433, 12434, 12435, 12436, 12437, 12438, 12439 ... 12495  Next