Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf and 278 guests

Post #538001  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Ah. Now I feel it creeping up.

2-1 not nearly so good.

I thought we were poor and got lucky.

Pépé has become an abomination. No wonder Mikel doesn’t trust him.

At least it’s the result we wanted and now we can play on Thursday knowing we just need a point.

Leeds only had 3 shots all game and we let one in. So we weren’t that lucky. Leeds didn’t deserve a draw. It’s more that we should have put them away more convincingly.

As for Pépé……

Post #538002  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:54 am 

DHD wrote:
What was that sodding dirge played just before kickoff?

Loads around me seemed to know it and joined in. Sounded funereal.

North London forever. I think it might become a regular fixture. It grows on you.

https://youtu.be/agxpawc2Jb4

Honestly I had never heard of it but loads around me were singing it.

Post #538003  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:49 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I thought we were poor and got lucky.

Pépé has become an abomination. No wonder Mikel doesn’t trust him.

At least it’s the result we wanted and now we can play on Thursday knowing we just need a point.

Leeds only had 3 shots all game and we let one in. So we weren’t that lucky. Leeds didn’t deserve a draw. It’s more that we should have put them away more convincingly.

As for Pépé……

I think one of the good things about this forum is that the overreaction to poor performances is less extreme than others. But it does happen here as well. It wasn’t too long ago that some didn’t want Nketiah anywhere near the team. Look at how quickly that’s changed. Elneny is rightly being praised now. That hasn’t always been the case.

I think it’s reasonable to see Pépé as a poor signing, even though the cost of the transfer wasn’t his fault. I feel he has the attributes in terms of skill and pace to be a top player but has never quite showed it at Arsenal, at least consistently. But words like abomination are way over the top. Criticism can be expressed in far less extreme terms than that.

Overall I feel there’s too much overreaction to recent form. A fine performance doesn’t make a player brilliant or world class, just like a bad display doesn’t mean a player is rubbish or useless. As I say, it happens less here than on other sites. But it does happen.

Post #538004  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:53 am 

Zed wrote:
Seems it will be midfielder Youri Tielemanns then. For £40M. But, 4th place is of the essence, as Tielemanns wants CL football.
Well it is understandable - he is so used to being at the top table...

If we qualify for ECL we should try to get Ronaldo for 2 years - the guy is still a great. London deserves to see him in a London shirt.

Post #538005  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Zed wrote:
Seems it will be midfielder Youri Tielemanns then. For £40M. But, 4th place is of the essence, as Tielemanns wants CL football.
Well it is understandable - he is so used to being at the top table...

If we qualify for ECL we should try to get Ronaldo for 2 years - the guy is still a great. London deserves to see him in a London shirt.

No way. It’s the polar opposite of the direction we should be taking.

Also the system we play requires an incredibly active forward.

Post #538006  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
What was that sodding dirge played just before kickoff?

Loads around me seemed to know it and joined in. Sounded funereal.

North London forever. I think it might become a regular fixture. It grows on you.

Thanks TG - that's the one.

New to me too. Not exactly a toe-tapper, is it?

Post #538007  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:55 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Dirge sums it up. Horrible.

Post #538008  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:36 pm 

Does anyone know why George Graham , Bob Wilson , Charlie George and a few others were at the game yesterday?

Post #538009  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:52 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Dirge sums it up. Horrible.

I rather like it. Just bought it on iTunes.

Post #538010  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:53 pm 

david.d wrote:
Does anyone know why George Graham , Bob Wilson , Charlie George and a few others were at the game yesterday?

Weird seeing George back at Arsenal. I wonder if that’s the first time he’s been back. I can’t recall if he was at the Highbury farewell

Post #538011  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:54 pm 

Hi DD

I was in the bar at HT and I saw the screens but I didn't hear any commentary or announcements.

I surmised that it was the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Double which should've happened last year but Covid got in the way.

Post #538012  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:10 pm 

Now that Norn Iron is back in the spotlight, it occurred to me that I haven't seen anything of Niall for a while now.

Anyone know anything?

Post #538013  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:15 pm 

Hopefully this will be the case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailys ... 906895.amp

Post #538014  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

Weird seeing George back at Arsenal. I wonder if that’s the first time he’s been back. I can’t recall if he was at the Highbury farewell

He looked like he had really aged.
Understandable as many years have passed!
Forever a legend for what he did for us in 89 , 91 , 93 and 94.

Post #538015  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hi DD

I was in the bar at HT and I saw the screens but I didn't hear any commentary or announcements.

I surmised that it was the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Double which should've happened last year but Covid got in the way.

Thanks DHD.
That makes sense.

Post #538016  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm 

I didn't realize that if we win we lock up top 4. Given that info, I think we will do no worse than a draw. For the last couple months we play well against any side in the top 5 or 6. Even in a losing effort, we made a good account of ourselves.

Post #538017  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:48 pm 

david.d wrote:

51 years since Arsenal won the double.

Post #538018  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:05 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Hi Hazuki, I honestly don’t think “we could actually afford to lose” on Thursday. If we do our four point lead becomes a one point lead with both teams having a couple of games left.

Tottenham’s are home to Burnley and away to Norwich. I realise Burnley are fighting for their lives but I still make Tottenham firm favourites to beat them at home. Norwich are rubbish and are already relegated. The only thing they have to play for is a bit of self pride but any other result than a Tottenham win would surprise me greatly.

Arsenal’s two final games are Newcastle away and Everton home. All that I said about Tottenham’s Burnley match applies to Arsenal game against Everton. They’re fighting for their lives but I make Arsenal firm favourites to win. I really wouldn’t fancy us to have to beat Newcastle away, which we’d have to if Arsenal lose on Thursday.

Spot on Bernard. I’m dead nervous.
On another subject I’m not sure White comes straight back in if fit . Holding hasn’t let us down and has a good temperament for what is going to be a mental WHL. Maybe White plays rb instead of Cédric or we play with a back three and two wingbacks.
Thursday I’ll be watching from behind the sofa.

Just hope whatever player lineup Mikel chooses aren't also dead nervous by Thursday. :8surprise:

Post #538019  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:16 pm 

david.d wrote:
Really really hope we can beat spurs and end this top 4 race.
Or a draw means we just need to win one of our 2 remaining games.
That Newcastle away game worries me.
They will be really up for it and a Monday night game in front of 50,000 Geordies *gulp*
I have no doubt that spurs will beat Burnley and Norwich. We would have to do the same and match their results if they beat us on Thursday and Newcastle is a very very tricky game.
Win and we are there.
Draw and we are nearly there.
Lose and we could be in trouble.

Hi David
Can't see a draw at WHL beneficial, a la Spurs match at Anfield. Spurs needed that win there more and just let it go with a draw. Advantage Arsenal the Leeds win. Maybe going into Thursday's match at a higher advantage points-wise, but only a win will suffice. Any draw no matter the number of goals will not do obviously. Just hope Burnley can be fired up enough to get a decent win against Spurs. Can't see Norwich doing much as already relegated.

Post #538020  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

As Rich said, £40m is a crazy price for him if he’s one year from the end of his contract. Can’t help wondering if it’s clickbait.

Just saw Rich's post after I posted same. Tielemanns is young enough to pick which club he chooses. Being in the media quite a few appear interested. Left to be seen if any go all in and pay £40m with a year left. Still time.

Post #538021  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:56 pm 

Sterling being linked too now

Sterling, Jesus and tielemans would be some summer.

Post #538022  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 pm 

I think Arteta persisted with Lacazette for so long because he rated his hold up play so highly for the attacking midfield talent we have. Lacazette was effectively there as a guy to allow the play to progress in to the final third. The idea must have been that Nketiah couldn't do that and that it was essential for our play. However, what Nketiah has shown is that whilst his back to goal and hold up play might not be as good as Lacazette it is good enough and the other attributes he has far outweigh this - running the channels, attacking the box, pressing, finishing etc

Post #538023  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:45 pm 

Nketiah has a knack for timely runs, being in the right place. You can't coach that. If he had Fabregas or Özil behind him, he'd be lethal with a bit better finishing which hopefully will come with experience.

Post #538024  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:46 pm 

...Ødegaard will do. I think they could develop a very good partnership. Once they get to know each other or rather Ødegaard gets to know his runs, how he moves, I think we will see a lot more passes to Nketiah from him.

Post #538025  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:15 pm 

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly 'will start their transfer plans with heavy investment this summer as soon as his takeover is cleared' amid fears they 'are playing catch-up' after sanctions on Roman Abramovich froze the club

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ummer.html

Post #538026  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I see that Granit Xhaka’s goal against Man United got the Goal Of The Month in last night’s MOTD2. Nice one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dz8SebIq3s

Post #538027  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:09 pm 

warrior wrote:
New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly 'will start their transfer plans with heavy investment this summer as soon as his takeover is cleared' amid fears they 'are playing catch-up' after sanctions on Roman Abramovich froze the club

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ummer.html

Not sure how he works out they’re playing catch up. The sanctions happened outside of the transfer window so they couldn’t sign any players anyway. The sanctions didn’t stop them scouting.
The only thing it may have impacted is the ability to offer new contracts to existing players

Post #538028  Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Clickbait I would imagine.

Post #538029  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:06 am 

If we win our last 3 games we would have won only 2 fewer games than the invincibles. Currently we’re only 4 fewer than Liverpool.

Post #538030  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 am 

Rich wrote:
If we win our last 3 games we would have won only 2 fewer games than the invincibles. Currently we’re only 4 fewer than Liverpool.

We don’t do draws do we? Only 3 which is the least of any club in the division. Remarkable when you consider just how tight so many of our games are.

Post #538031  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:49 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I didn't realize that if we win we lock up top 4. Given that info, I think we will do no worse than a draw. For the last couple months we play well against any side in the top 5 or 6. Even in a losing effort, we made a good account of ourselves.

Win. We're there. Draw and we need 1 more. Lose and we need to win the last two. It's in our hands.

Post #538032  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:50 am 

I quite like the new song, it definitely has that anthem feel about it. I think some of the lyrics could do with tweaking a little bit but fundamentally it does have the basics of a real spine-tingling tune.

Post #538033  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:54 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Nketiah has a knack for timely runs, being in the right place. You can't coach that. If he had Fabregas or Özil behind him, he'd be lethal with a bit better finishing which hopefully will come with experience.

Hi AG,

His movement is excellent and, as you say, he does have that knack of finding time and space in the box. Like with most out-and-out goalscorers the ball seems like a magnet to him in those areas.

Whether his all round game can reach the standards of a team that wants to challenge for titles I don't know but he's still very young with time to improve both physically and mentally.

I suspect it's all a bit academic as he will move on in the summer.

Post #538034  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:03 am 

No really fancying us to win a WHL.

Spurs are probably the best equipped team in the league to hurt teams on the counter-attack and to get something out of games without playing well, as we saw versus Liverpool.

I haven't seen the stats but I'd guess the ratio of goals to chances for Kane and Son is very high.

I'd loved to be proved wrong but I see a few chances falling to Kane and Son and them hitting the back of the net at least twice. We need to be right at the top of our game but also clinical with the chances we create.

Post #538035  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:55 am 

socrates wrote:
I quite like the new song, it definitely has that anthem feel about it. I think some of the lyrics could do with tweaking a little bit but fundamentally it does have the basics of a real spine-tingling tune.

I agree. It doesn’t feel forced like Roger Daltreys Highbury high claptrap

I think if you changed the lyrics it would then feel forced as ultimately the song is about the gentrification of north London and not Arsenal but like YNWA it is adopted by the fans. People have said it’s a bit emotional rather than catchy however the singer has had suffered some difficult times (he was apparently with Ben Kinsella when he was tragically murdered) so it’s probably understandable.

I don’t know if the plan is to play it at every home game however if they do I think it will catch on and become an anthem

Post #538036  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Clickbait I would imagine.

It was in the Telegraph

Post #538037  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:05 am 

I’m seriously considering returning some overdue library books on Thursday night or going to the pictures or something even if it’s to watch a Jennifer Aniston film or something

Going to be horrendous watching that might better served avoiding

Post #538038  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m seriously considering returning some overdue library books on Thursday night or going to the pictures or something even if it’s to watch a Jennifer Aniston film or something

If you do, leave your phone behind. The urge to check constantly is irresistible and it becomes an instrument of self torture on such occasions. A least when watching the game one gets some pleasure/relief when Arsenal are in possession a decent distance from our goal.

Post #538039  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Same. I genuinely don't believe I possess the emotional constitution for such games anymore. I may do something else then just look up the result and get one hit of joy or disappointment without the high blood pressure, nausea and sheer terror that accompanies such games.

It didn't help that I had a dream last night that we lost 3-1 with Lacazette getting an 88th minute consolation. It was so real too. Awful.

Post #538040  Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:52 pm 

Arteta will offer a £30m bid for Tielemanns. But will only be possibly accepted if Arsenal get in CL.
No matter. Arsenal now trying out for wrenching Sterling away from City. Lots of media on that as well.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13448, 13449, 13450, 13451, 13452, 13453, 13454 ... 14084  Next