Fixtures Wednesday May 12th - Chelsea - Stamford Bridge - 8:15 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 5:20 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 12 guests

 
Post #526961  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19107

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Detach yourself from the emotion and take a look at the starting line up.

Bellerin, soares and Holding in defence ? I mean pretty average right ? Or is it me?

Xhaka and Partey ? As a pair seem far too defensive for me. Their dogged not controllers of a game.

Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are promising youngsters but won’t do it week in week out.

Does that look a side who can realistically win a European trophy ? To me on paper we look weak.


Given we are 3 games from the final and Ajax, Man U and Roma are all on the same side of the draw, I would definately have thought those players are good enough to contribute to winning this trophy.


Hi Bored,

You'd fancy us against Man U, Ajax or Roma?

I don't even fancy us to get past Slavia now so its probably all academic anyway.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526962  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13842

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
OTT criticism from some. TG especially, the 3 players he cites had good to excellent games overall. Partly was a disappointment Saka was tired and Emile Smith Rowe was brilliant most of the game.

They were excellent in the last minutes and pressed and pressed. If the Boss had brought in the 3 players earlier we might gave conceded, would you be praising Mikel for going too early?

NO you funking wouldn't lay off it's only half time.


Hold on, Bubble, this wasn't exactly prime Barca we were playing. Slavia were there for the taking and we should have scored 3 or 4 even before the subs. He should have given the likes of Martinelli, Pépé and Aubameyang at least half an hour to influence the game.

It wasn't prime Barca but I don't think that was the problem. As Wenger used to say, "The only way to score is with the handbrake off!" I would amend you last sentence: He should have given the likes of Martinelli, Pépé and Aubameyang 90 minutes to influence the game!

Buggering around, and pottering: that is what it is. And Arteta is the one to blame. Against West Ham, Liverpool, and again, Prague We have the players but they need to be on the field and showing a bit of intent from the first minute.

I do hope Rich is right: I would love to see Saka at leftback and a really attacking front four in the return leg. If we do go out, it cannot be in a tame 0-0 draw!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526963  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6401
Location: Townsville Australia

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Plus Aubameyang has become Arteta’s Özil. No one can convince me that having been dropped for the derby, that he put any effort at all into Olympicos, west ham or Liverpool.

This is annoyingly familiar with Arsenal. Dropped or benched players rarely seem to take it as a message to re double efforts and come back with a bang. It always seems to be the opposite. It makes us question time and again the professionalism, motivation and character of the squad we have.
How can a manager operate in an environment where he can’t punish poor performance and poor discipline because players will just give up as soon as they are punished!?
Who are the players we have who really lead this team, who are vocal and demand concentration and high levels of effort and concentration everyone every time?

This has been going on for years. The last player with any class, who wanted to put in the big effort was Sanchez IMO.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526964  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13842

Rich wrote:
To play at the right pace and tempo we need to fill the team with players with the right pace and energy.
I also wish we’d stop paying the opposition too much respect, it contributes to slow starts from which it is very difficult to up the tempo.
In the second leg I would love to see Saka at left back and a front 3 of martinelli/Aubameyang/Pépé with Emile Smith Rowe in the 10 position.

:58big-emoticons: :58big-emoticons:

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526965  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

TOP GUN wrote:
Detach yourself from the emotion and take a look at the starting line up.

Bellerin, soares and Holding in defence ? I mean pretty average right ? Or is it me?

Xhaka and Partey ? As a pair seem far too defensive for me. Their dogged not controllers of a game.

Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are promising youngsters but won’t do it week in week out.

Does that look a side who can realistically win a European trophy ? To me on paper we look weak.

Clueless post. Xhaka was highly rated in Germany. Finished 2nd behind Lewandowski in player of the year. Partey's were excellent in terms of dribbling and passing. Bellerin is still be looked for by Barcelona. It's a 1-1 draw but the way some are carrying on you'd think we'd lost 0-3.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526966  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
To play at the right pace and tempo we need to fill the team with players with the right pace and energy.
I also wish we’d stop paying the opposition too much respect, it contributes to slow starts from which it is very difficult to up the tempo.
In the second leg I would love to see Saka at left back and a front 3 of martinelli/Aubameyang/Pépé with Emile Smith Rowe in the 10 position.


Hi Rich,

I'd like to see that team too. My only worry would be that none of those front three players is especially good at holding the ball up but we really only have Lacazette who is decent with his back to goal and he ends up playing too deep.

We also so not get enough numbers in the box. Several times last night we saw crosses fizzed into but with only Lacazette in there. Its a percentages thing, crosses do not have to be brilliant all the time as long as you always get 2 or 3 players into the box. I mean the ball might not always drop to an Arsenal player but the very fact they are in the box puts pressure on the defenders and keeper and anything can, and often does, happen when players are under pressure.

Ferguson built a dynasty on the back of wide men putting decent crosses into the box for the likes of Cole, Van Nistleroy, Scholes, Rooney, Solskaer etc to get on the end of.

Hi Soc, I agree that front 3 don't scream good hold up play, although I think Pépé is better with his back to goal than some think, he just needs to release it quicker a bit more like Saka does. But Slavia play a high line and we only had Saka taking advantage of it, and when he got through Lacazette and Willian weren't in the middle. Aubameyang and Martinelli WOULD be in the middle in my opinion.
yes Fergie did build his Man U teams in that way, for it though you need 2 key things and one of them isn't relying on percentages, for me it needs fantastic delivery which isn't necessarily on the strikers head, its in spaces strikers can attack (Man U had this for years with Bekham, Giggs, even Neville) and secondly is the desire for the attackers to get in there and actually compete for the ball. Who do we have who genuinely competes for a header in the box from a cross?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526967  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Detach yourself from the emotion and take a look at the starting line up.

Bellerin, soares and Holding in defence ? I mean pretty average right ? Or is it me?

Xhaka and Partey ? As a pair seem far too defensive for me. Their dogged not controllers of a game.

Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are promising youngsters but won’t do it week in week out.

Does that look a side who can realistically win a European trophy ? To me on paper we look weak.

Clueless post. Xhaka was highly rated in Germany. Finished 2nd behind Lewandowski in player of the year. Partey's were excellent in terms of dribbling and passing. Bellerin is still be looked for by Barcelona. It's a 1-1 draw but the way some are carrying on you'd think we'd lost 0-3.

The post wasn’t criticising the players I think partey, and the kids are very good just the structure of the team and that the midfield wasn’t balanced. I’ll disagree on Xhaka and bellerin however that wasn’t the point

If you had a brain you would realise the reactions to this result are not about the individual game just the spate of recent games.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526968  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7562

Lacazette has not managed a 20 goal season for us yet. His best was his first season when he scored 19. He really doesn't warrant that centre forward spot at the expense of Aubameyang.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526969  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

I don't think we're yet getting the Partey we saw at Atletico. There was talk of Partey being released from Simeone's very structured approach that he excelled in so we could see his full range of skills. From what I've seen of him so far I think he is better suited to being a destroyer in front of the defence who can take also take the ball in tight spaces and release it forward with quick and clever passing. I'm not sure he's the guy who should be play making or driving the ball forward from deep - he drives forward but then seems like he's not certain what to do with it.
Xhaka does a certain amount of the play making, but can't dribble, doesn't really play quick one touch triangles and is not as mobile as you'd want.
Partey would excel with a pair of No.8's with him, and that pair of 8.s dovetailing nicely to fill the role of box-to-box and playmaker. For example a midfield of Partey, Gundogan, De Bruyne would have great balance and allow Partey to do what he's best at I think.
We've got Smith-Rowe who is more a drifting No.10 than a traditional 8, Ødegaard is similar. Players with the skill set of De Bruyne are very very hard to come by, but the central midfield isn't quite striking the right balance yet and that's before we discuss the terrible lack of depth in quality


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526970  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

dec wrote:
Lacazette has not managed a 20 goal season for us yet. His best was his first season when he scored 19. He really doesn't warrant that centre forward spot at the expense of Aubameyang.

I have to agree. I think it was an act of madness yesterday to drop him and Arteta only did so because there’s such an over reaction to every bad result.

At the end of the day you need Pépé and aubameyang on the pitch. They score, the others don’t.

Also the blinkers need to come off for our fans, martinelli is a very promising young player and SHOULD be involved however in the 422 minutes he’s played this season he’s shown little to change the managers thinking


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526971  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19107

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I'd like to see that team too. My only worry would be that none of those front three players is especially good at holding the ball up but we really only have Lacazette who is decent with his back to goal and he ends up playing too deep.

We also so not get enough numbers in the box. Several times last night we saw crosses fizzed into but with only Lacazette in there. Its a percentages thing, crosses do not have to be brilliant all the time as long as you always get 2 or 3 players into the box. I mean the ball might not always drop to an Arsenal player but the very fact they are in the box puts pressure on the defenders and keeper and anything can, and often does, happen when players are under pressure.

Ferguson built a dynasty on the back of wide men putting decent crosses into the box for the likes of Cole, Van Nistleroy, Scholes, Rooney, Solskaer etc to get on the end of.

Hi Soc, I agree that front 3 don't scream good hold up play, although I think Pépé is better with his back to goal than some think, he just needs to release it quicker a bit more like Saka does. But Slavia play a high line and we only had Saka taking advantage of it, and when he got through Lacazette and Willian weren't in the middle. Aubameyang and Martinelli WOULD be in the middle in my opinion.
yes Fergie did build his Man U teams in that way, for it though you need 2 key things and one of them isn't relying on percentages, for me it needs fantastic delivery which isn't necessarily on the strikers head, its in spaces strikers can attack (Man U had this for years with Bekham, Giggs, even Neville) and secondly is the desire for the attackers to get in there and actually compete for the ball. Who do we have who genuinely competes for a header in the box from a cross?


It is percentages in the sense that if you constantly put the ball into good areas (people sometimes refer to it as the corridor of uncertainty between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot) and have a multitude of players willing to attack the box then the law of averages says eventually the ball will drop on an attackers head or foot, or the defender or goalkeeper might make a mistake. It's not a tactic that requires a high degree of precision all the time.

There was a period with Wenger where we had to play these little one-twos and triangles all the time and virtually walk the ball into the net. This was very difficult to do against deep lying defences. Even the very best sides are not too snobbish to recognise that crosses into dangerous areas are a fundamental and profitable weapon in the attacking armoury, providing you have players willing to get in the box and on the end of them.

Over the years crosses have become almost a last resort with us and the concept of forwards and midfielders attacking the box is a lost art. Even now our forwards would rather hang back for a cutback than attack the six yard box. Some of Tierney's crosses are brilliant but they are wasted on us.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526972  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19107

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Lacazette has not managed a 20 goal season for us yet. His best was his first season when he scored 19. He really doesn't warrant that centre forward spot at the expense of Aubameyang.

I have to agree. I think it was an act of madness yesterday to drop him and Arteta only did so because there’s such an over reaction to every bad result.

At the end of the day you need Pépé and aubameyang on the pitch. They score, the others don’t.

Also the blinkers need to come off for our fans, martinelli is a very promising young player and SHOULD be involved however in the 422 minutes he’s played this season he’s shown little to change the managers thinking


To be fair he's had neither a run of games nor sufficient minutes per game as a sub to have a real impact. To expect him to come on got 15 mins and change a game is a big ask, especially if the team is not playing well.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526973  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3346
Location: Over here

A bunch of shambolic gutless wonders.

Came across this for the first time, made me laugh, Alexander Lacksathreat.

Think we will still stumble through in our now trademark unconvincing way.

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526974  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I have to agree. I think it was an act of madness yesterday to drop him and Arteta only did so because there’s such an over reaction to every bad result.

At the end of the day you need Pépé and aubameyang on the pitch. They score, the others don’t.

Also the blinkers need to come off for our fans, martinelli is a very promising young player and SHOULD be involved however in the 422 minutes he’s played this season he’s shown little to change the managers thinking


To be fair he's had neither a run of games nor sufficient minutes per game as a sub to have a real impact. To expect him to come on got 15 mins and change a game is a big ask, especially if the team is not playing well.


Pépé did . Aubameyang looked lively ?

I know exactly what you mean it’s not easy but I don’t see a material change there and everyone seems to think a transformation will occur


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526975  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

socrates wrote:
It is percentages in the sense that if you constantly put the ball into good areas (people sometimes refer to it as the corridor of uncertainty between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot) and have a multitude of players willing to attack the box then the law of averages says eventually the ball will drop on an attackers head or foot, or the defender or goalkeeper might make a mistake. It's not a tactic that requires a high degree of precision all the time.

I suppose if you look at it in order of priority
1) ball in the right spot
2) mulitiple players properly attacking
3) percentages come in to play
The problem with our priority order, and when Arteta talked about the number of crosses we put in being 'pure maths', is we go for
1) putting lots of crosses = eventual high percentage chance of scoring
and just ignore the 2 fundamental principles which make multiple crosses a high percentage chance of scoring.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526976  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

I’m resigned to us losing the 2nd leg.

Where do we go from here then?

Bellerin and Lacazette played like they know they are moving on in the summer. I’d be shocked if they start another season for us,

What’s the options if you did want to change the manager? Any suggestions ? I can’t tell wether changing the manager would fix anything with this group of players.

I really am at a loss and don’t know where you go from here. It’s like we have a terminal illness that is trying to be treated different ways but can’t be cured,


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526977  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

With Pépé I keep feeling then the moment he plays well he doesn't get a run in the team. I looked back after the game v Leicester where he was brilliant, had their full-back on toast and contributed massively to what we did, in the 7 games that followed that performance he has started only twice.

In some ways we've made a big commitment to Pépé with the fee, we almost can't sell him because the hit would be huge, so we need to work out a way to play to his strengths. Similar to Aubameyang, we make a 3 year commitment at £300k odd a week and then play him wide left. Build the team to play to their strengths


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526978  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

Few reports saying we're on the verge of getting Balogun committed to a long term deal. Would be very good if true


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526979  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 17034

Asides from all already posted, the passing in our team is at times and certainly last night, often woeful. And we're talking simple, basic passing here. Unfortunately, Gabriel is looking more and more an average player by the game.

_________________
It's a terrible love and I'm walking with spiders.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526980  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2729

Prince Philip has passed away age 99.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526981  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

Rich wrote:
Few reports saying we're on the verge of getting Balogun committed to a long term deal. Would be very good if true

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/folarin- ... -14382581/
Small bit of good news if it is true. He scores a lot of goals at youth level and seemed to fit in well on his fleeting senior appearances. Most encouraging was he appears to have more stature than Nketiah who was equally prolific at youth level.

If Balogun does sign you would presume he's been given some assurances over first team opportunities which would lead me to believe that its likely Nketiah and Lacazette are being moved on - which is 100% the right decision in both cases.
With Pépé, Saka, Willian and even Smith Rowe able to play wide you wonder whether the club think Aubameyang, Martinelli and Balogun is enough in the striker department for next season so they can concentrate transfer business elsewhere.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526982  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

Zed wrote:
Prince Philip has passed away age 99.


Although no royalist I cannot feel anything but admiration for him and especially Queen Elizabeth and their dedication and sense of duty.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526983  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

Niall wrote:
Asides from all already posted, the passing in our team is at times and certainly last night, often woeful. And we're talking simple, basic passing here. Unfortunately, Gabriel is looking more and more an average player by the game.

What I would say is that I think your first point affects the 2nd.

Gabriel has made some bad mistakes recently but we are asking our centre backs to get on the ball far too much. There is no inter passing from our midfielders and the ball just seems to come back at them. I can’t imagine the conversations they have with our midfielders who just can’t hang on to it.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526984  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

RIP Prince Phillip, sad news

Days of media hysteria, far right posturing and nonsense about the funeral and covid restrictions incoming


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526985  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9068

Zed wrote:
Prince Philip has passed away age 99.

Two months and a day (his birthday was 10th June) from getting his telegram from his wife. In actual fact, speaking from my uncle’s experience it’s a card that the Queen sends these days.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526986  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

Man U winning another penalty last night that just is not given to other teams. The thing I've found with Man U and penalties this year is that if you really wanted to you could make a case for a lot of them being fouls, but so many are so innocuous that simply by the law of averages not every referee would see them as penalties - but they get them every single time. And to rub salt in the wound get away with them in their own box. Maguire on Welbeck last weekend wasn't clear but it is easily the standard of penalty Man U are getting week in week out. The yellow card for diving is basically gone now, refs don't make decisions on penalties either way because they have var - I would wager not once has a ref looked at the var screen over a penalty decision and decided it wasn't a penalty and booked the attacker for diving. If there is no punishment for throwing yourself down and the upside is a game winning moment Man U are just doing it every single game - it is a clear tactic to look for penalties at every opportunity.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526987  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

TOP GUN wrote:
RIP Prince Phillip, sad news

Days of media hysteria, far right posturing and nonsense about the funeral and covid restrictions incoming


:sleepy1:

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526988  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13708

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
RIP Prince Phillip, sad news

Days of media hysteria, far right posturing and nonsense about the funeral and covid restrictions incoming


:sleepy1:

Sorry I forgot, you seem a fan of that lot.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526989  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30638

My sincerest condolences for the Brits and commonwealth members of the forum. The Duke lived a long, eventful life. RIP.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526990  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13842

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Detach yourself from the emotion and take a look at the starting line up.

Bellerin, soares and Holding in defence ? I mean pretty average right ? Or is it me?

Xhaka and Partey ? As a pair seem far too defensive for me. Their dogged not controllers of a game.

Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are promising youngsters but won’t do it week in week out.

Does that look a side who can realistically win a European trophy ? To me on paper we look weak.

Clueless post. Xhaka was highly rated in Germany. Finished 2nd behind Lewandowski in player of the year. Partey's were excellent in terms of dribbling and passing. Bellerin is still be looked for by Barcelona. It's a 1-1 draw but the way some are carrying on you'd think we'd lost 0-3.

That was on Saturday :20hospitals:

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526991  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2697

Good day to you Socrates.
I am not confident that we would beat Ajax, Man U or Roma in a final, however thats more to do with our erratic form than the players we have. Arteta has shown he can manage us to victory against better teams, so it wouldnt be a huge surprise if we somehow managed to win it. However, I dont think we will do it because our form seems to have dipped just when we need it to pick up.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526992  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 17034

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:
Asides from all already posted, the passing in our team is at times and certainly last night, often woeful. And we're talking simple, basic passing here. Unfortunately, Gabriel is looking more and more an average player by the game.

What I would say is that I think your first point affects the 2nd.

Gabriel has made some bad mistakes recently but we are asking our centre backs to get on the ball far too much. There is no inter passing from our midfielders and the ball just seems to come back at them. I can’t imagine the conversations they have with our midfielders who just can’t hang on to it.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to just single out Gabriel on passing - more that his performances haven't been great recently and I'm unconvinced. The passing point really relates to the entire team with the exception of Xhaka.

_________________
It's a terrible love and I'm walking with spiders.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526993  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13842

Rich wrote:
With Pépé I keep feeling then the moment he plays well he doesn't get a run in the team. I looked back after the game v Leicester where he was brilliant, had their full-back on toast and contributed massively to what we did, in the 7 games that followed that performance he has started only twice.

One could say the same for Willian.

On the other hand, the over-playing of Saka is reminiscent of Fabregas.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526994  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30638

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/09/g ... cope-with/

Slavia Prague coach Jindrich Trpisovsky admits that the Czech champions struggled to contain Alexandre Lacazette and Emile Smith Rowe during their Europa League draw at Arsenal, speaking to the club’s website.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526995  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13842

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m resigned to us losing the 2nd leg.
,

I bet we'll win!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526996  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9259
Location: Singapore

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
This is annoyingly familiar with Arsenal. Dropped or benched players rarely seem to take it as a message to re double efforts and come back with a bang. It always seems to be the opposite. It makes us question time and again the professionalism, motivation and character of the squad we have.
How can a manager operate in an environment where he can’t punish poor performance and poor discipline because players will just give up as soon as they are punished!?
Who are the players we have who really lead this team, who are vocal and demand concentration and high levels of effort and concentration everyone every time?

This has been going on for years. The last player with any class, who wanted to put in the big effort was Sanchez IMO.


Yes, Sanchez was great for us.

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526997  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30638

First, I'll believe it after its done and dusted. Second, my fear is we have made more out of him than he is, out of desperation. I've seen the clips. Looks a talent. What I'm not sure is if the desperation to sign him by fans is what percentage his talent and what percentage looking for hope from any where they can find it.

He may very well be as good as advertised, but if he plays first team football fans are going set the bar high. That's my fear. It's too high and some fans turn on him if he isn't Henry reincarnated.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-ba ... 4ps74imie9

Arsenal striker Balogun close to signing new contract

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526998  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
What I would say is that I think your first point affects the 2nd.

Gabriel has made some bad mistakes recently but we are asking our centre backs to get on the ball far too much. There is no inter passing from our midfielders and the ball just seems to come back at them. I can’t imagine the conversations they have with our midfielders who just can’t hang on to it.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to just single out Gabriel on passing - more that his performances haven't been great recently and I'm unconvinced. The passing point really relates to the entire team with the exception of Xhaka.

I think if the defenders and central midfielders were given more freedom and licence to play longer balls in the channels I think it would help minimise the mistakes. This is wholly reliant on forwards also making the runs or being told they can/should make the runs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #526999  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18466

AmericanGooner wrote:
First, I'll believe it after its done and dusted. Second, my fear is we have made more out of him than he is, out of desperation. I've seen the clips. Looks a talent. What I'm not sure is if the desperation to sign him by fans is what percentage his talent and what percentage looking for hope from any where they can find it.

He may very well be as good as advertised, but if he plays first team football fans are going set the bar high. That's my fear. It's too high and some fans turn on him if he isn't Henry reincarnated.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/arsenal-ba ... 4ps74imie9

Arsenal striker Balogun close to signing new contract

The thing is, it sort of doesn't matter how good he is. We know he's good enough that plenty of clubs were interested in him and Brentford even bid £5m for him. Out of contract he's worth £0 to us. With a 4 year contract his value automatically increases. We can give him Nketiah's minutes, or we can send him in loan with a view to integrating (or selling) in a year's time once we all have more of an idea how good he is.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #527000  Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2729

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Prince Philip has passed away age 99.

Two months and a day (his birthday was 10th June) from getting his telegram from his wife. In actual fact, speaking from my uncle’s experience it’s a card that the Queen sends these days.

Indeed Bernard. I remember you posted your uncle receiving a card.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 529311 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13172, 13173, 13174, 13175, 13176, 13177, 13178 ... 13233  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 12 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018