Fixtures Sunday May 19th - Everton - Emirates Stadium - 4:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, DHD, Gaz from Oz, mcquilkie, warrior and 19 guests

Post #390881  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Truth the home loss to Villa cost us. A draw in hindsight would have gotten us the title probably.

You can't HONESTLY say that losing ONE league game this year was what did us (especially when drawing it wouldn't have helped)! We were beyond brilliant. You are mixing up hindsight with utter stupidity if you focus on that game.

In hindsight, the fact that City can vastly outspend us and have a squad that allows them to cruise in the last few months of the season and win every single game, when everyone else is struggling with injuries, fatigue, and fixture congestion, probably cost us.

Post #390882  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:
So all the Prem clubs are shortly to vote on whether to retain or ditch VAR. Wolves have tabled a motion which is to be debated and voted upon. I presume that 14 votes will carry it.

Must be a few squeaky bums in the refereeing ranks. It’s a very well paid job for someone with limited qualifications or skills. That’ll be their living.

Serves them all right for completely nausing up a potentially helpful new technology. It was needed because our refs were so *%^@. Now we still have well paid *%^@ refs but we also her well paid *%^@ VAR refs.

Rot their eyes.

I thought the use of it had improved significantly in the second half of the season. i.e. don't overturn the onfield decision unless it is blindingly wrong. Maybe the bar was set a little high for overturning but it was consistent. A few glaring exceptions does not change this. Fans tend to focus on those (only when they go against their team) so we get a very distorted picture.

The point is it is vastly better than NOT having Var because the shockers do almost always get dealt with.

Really not sure Decaf. To address your points:

I don’t think things did improve particularly.

Refs (who were *%^@ in the first place) have retreated from decisions for fear of being shown to be wrong. They have adopted a defensive stance. They have in recent years been pretty awful in the UK, which was the driving force for VAR in the first place. But now they have pretty much abrogated their overarching responsibility to officiate, and that for me is criminal. What are you there for ffs?

As this was happening, VAR Refs spotted the vacuum and took the opportunity to take centre stage - to increase their ‘part’ in the show. Don’t forget, VAR Refs are now named as part of the officiating team. They’re part of the cast. Increasingly they have been intervening unasked to shamelessly re-referee incidents often for no obvious reasons. Refs don’t have the confidence to stand up for their original decisions so they routinely respond to the suggestion to change in the affirmative - not my fault, Gov - bloke said.

And every event takes up to 5 minutes. There’s been a massive push in recent years for attacking football to create an increase in goals and excitement. But now, nobody celebrates goals and nobody in the stadium has a clue what’s happening. I know there’s then a degree of suspense, which is exciting, but it has changed the entire matchday dynamic of the game we all love. I’m not certain but I don’t think VAR works so slowly or so often on the Continent.

VAR represents a step-change increase in knowledge, and that has to be a real opportunity for advancement and improvement. The problem has been in the way it is managed, administered and applied. I hate VAR but my hatred is focused on the operation of the process. I’d put all the highly paid officials on notice: shape up or find another job.

Post #390883  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 pm 

DHD wrote:
So all the Prem clubs are shortly to vote on whether to retain or ditch VAR. Wolves have tabled a motion which is to be debated and voted upon. I presume that 14 votes will carry it.

Must be a few squeaky bums in the refereeing ranks. It’s a very well paid job for someone with limited qualifications or skills. That’ll be their living.

Serves them all right for completely nausing up a potentially helpful new technology. It was needed because our refs were so *%^@. Now we still have well paid *%^@ refs but we also her well paid *%^@ VAR refs.

Rot their eyes.

They need to get dedicated var refs who only do var, and dedicated on pitch refs who only do that. There is too much not wanting to go against your mate and marking your own homework.

Refs shy away from making a decision as they have VAR to lean on if they're wrong, but then VAR doesn't want to over rule the decision by the ref on the pitch. So it often just ends up being wrong twice.

VAR as the technology is fine, the application based on removing the absolutely shocking decisions is also fine - we generally don't need to put up with those anymore. But the general process is awful. You only have to look at any time a ref is referred to the monitor everyone knows the on pitch decision will be reversed 100% of the time.

Post #390884  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:30 pm 

I read that Chelsea to avoid Prem profit and sustainability rules had sold the chelsea hotel to their owners for £75m and tried (not sure if this went through or not) to sell their own training ground - or perhaps sponsor their training ground- to their owners for £100m. This is farcical. It is literally loophole 1 in getting around FFP rules, Rich owner cant just pump money directly in to the club so he sponsors the tea lady's tabard for a few hundred million and counts it as 'commercial revenue'

We just brokered a deal for £10m per season to sponsor our training ground to a completely unrelated party who see genuine business benefits to their company of being linked to Arsenal. Chelsea having their training ground sponsored by Todd Bohley incorporated for 10 times that is farcical

Post #390885  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

Rot their eyes.

They need to get dedicated var refs who only do var, and dedicated on pitch refs who only do that. There is too much not wanting to go against your mate and marking your own homework.

Refs shy away from making a decision as they have VAR to lean on if they're wrong, but then VAR doesn't want to over rule the decision by the ref on the pitch. So it often just ends up being wrong twice.

VAR as the technology is fine, the application based on removing the absolutely shocking decisions is also fine - we generally don't need to put up with those anymore. But the general process is awful. You only have to look at any time a ref is referred to the monitor everyone knows the on pitch decision will be reversed 100% of the time.

We've had VAR far longer in the states and there are still anger at the referees. It's still better to have them though and the NFL has referees who only do VAR. The response time is much faster than the EPL.

One thing I mentioned a long time ago with VAR is its far more effective if you have cameras at certain angles. There are reverse angles in the NFL VAR. There are certain sports where you need a certain angle because of how they play. The NFL and EPL play on a similar size pitch but will likely need video that are similar but also at certain angles because of the sport. The NFL off sides is different than soccer's offside. The NHL is more similar to soccer than than anything else. Similar positions, offside rules somewhat similar, etc.

Post #390886  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:33 pm 

https://x.com/gunnerzvideoz/status/1790 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Bein sports (Richard Keys I know!) talking about Man City’s 115 charges laid out in full. Why do BBC and Sky refuse to talk about this at all?

Post #390887  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:42 pm 

The full list of charges. Why would an innocent club not want to clear their name?

Attachments:

Post #390888  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
We have plenty around and my father was always of the view a good ones a dead one. But you don't chase them if they slither off : let them go. Its illegal to kill them but I have had a few suicidal ones near the house and pool area who continually threw themselves at the shovel. At my holiday house we get a few death adders but they are very mild and often you don't even notice them in the leaf litter. They are sneaky bastards, a bit like Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd fans.

:laughing7: " throw themselves at the shovel" . Isn't illegal to kill any wildlife in Aussie except possibly cane toads .

Two species I'd loved to have dealt to ... those poxy fruit bats and that bast**d storm bird { koel } .

The latter used to drive me crazy with its poxy call at 2 am in the morning .

Post #390889  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:03 pm 

In the last 7 (seven!) months of prem football spurs are 11th in the table.
That blistering start when no one knew what do to against this bizarre double inverted fullback approach has kept them from being bottom half. Once teams worked them out they’ve regressed further back than last year.

Post #390890  Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://x.com/gunnerzvideoz/status/1790456625540518322?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

Bein sports (Richard Keys I know!) talking about Man City’s 115 charges laid out in full. Why do BBC and Sky refuse to talk about this at all?

You may or may not be surprisded Rich .......the mainstream news media is controlled by a remarkleably small group of individuals ; with their very deep pockets I wouldn't be surprised if Man City's heirarchy hasn't greased a few wheels .

I was flabberghasted to learn that even in a poxy little country like NZ ; the government of that harridon; Jacinda Ardern was making payments [ full and part ]

to 96 journalists to make sure the RIGHT message got out there and knotty questions never saw the " light of day ".

Post #390891  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:57 am 

Rich wrote:
I read that Chelsea to avoid Prem profit and sustainability rules had sold the chelsea hotel to their owners for £75m and tried (not sure if this went through or not) to sell their own training ground - or perhaps sponsor their training ground- to their owners for £100m. This is farcical. It is literally loophole 1 in getting around FFP rules, Rich owner cant just pump money directly in to the club so he sponsors the tea lady's tabard for a few hundred million and counts it as 'commercial revenue'

We just brokered a deal for £10m per season to sponsor our training ground to a completely unrelated party who see genuine business benefits to their company of being linked to Arsenal. Chelsea having their training ground sponsored by Todd Bohley incorporated for 10 times that is farcical

One thing I've learned is the people that makes the rules can't think of everything. Hence the loopholes. Other times the loopholes are created on purpose via backroom deals.

Unfortunately, the best regulations are those where the loopholes were closed after the fact.

Post #390892  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:40 am 

Matinelli and Trossard are interchangeable. Jesus can fill in for either Saka or Havertz. Partey, Jorginho are interchangeable.

Aren't we f*cked if anything happens to Ødegaard?

Post #390893  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:59 am 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

Rot their eyes.

The business about the ref coming to look at the screen is a silly piece of theatre that should be done away with. If VAR does intervene, it will be clear and obvious, so the ref IS going to go along with it. Having the ref come to the screen just wastes time and puts even more attention on the referee.

The ones they might consider getting the onfield refs to review is the right-on-the-margin ones. But I probably think it is a good idea not to open that can of worm, and just go with the onfield decision when it is not clear and obvious.

The fact that 'clear and obvious' is a very high standard, and it means that onfield decisions stand even when there may be an 80% chance that they were wrong (like Newcastle's goal against us) is something we will have to live with. If the VAR ref went with 'balance of probability' they would be intervening all the time and it would he a mess.

Post #390894  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:24 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
From a Facebook site. Ange talking some sense
Attachment:
IMG_1440.jpeg
He is right, but it seems not too long ago some of our fans were hoping Arsenal would lose in order to get rid of arguably our greatest ever manager!

Post #390895  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:27 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Not for me Decaf. West Ham will have their boardies and sun tan lotion on by now.

I will be shocked if City don’t win by 4.
Me too - I am going for 7-1.

Post #390896  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:33 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I will be shocked if City don’t win by 4.
Me too - I am going for 7-1.

Morning Old Man

You never responded to my post to you about Derek Underwood. Bit rude.

Post #390897  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:35 am 

DHD wrote:
Hey Old Man - trust you're still drawing breath?

I don't post much these days since I seem to attract the immediate attention of a mongrel called Tel - you there Tel? Good boy. Good boy. Stayyyyy...

Before the moment passes, and notwithstanding your Surrey allegiances, I thought that as a 'Kentish Man', you might want to share with me an appreciation of Derek Underwood. What a bowler. A true one-off. I've never seen an action or a method quite like him. Maybe Chandrasekhar came closest.

Left arm - fast spinner or slow medium pacer? Tricky - and he was that in spades, particularly on the right pitch. Sharp guy as well. Chairman of my Club. Splayed feet paddling in like Gollum. Left arm swinging and dragging slightly, like he was carrying a takeaway.

Bernard would undoubtedly agree, bless him.

this one

Post #390898  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:10 am 

New kit. Not sure how I feel about the blue. Its Arsenal, its red and white but whatever.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arsenal-la ... s-home-kit

Post #390899  Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
We have plenty around and my father was always of the view a good ones a dead one. But you don't chase them if they slither off : let them go. Its illegal to kill them but I have had a few suicidal ones near the house and pool area who continually threw themselves at the shovel. At my holiday house we get a few death adders but they are very mild and often you don't even notice them in the leaf litter. They are sneaky bastards, a bit like Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd fans.

:laughing7: " throw themselves at the shovel" . Isn't illegal to kill any wildlife in Aussie except possibly cane toads .

Two species I'd loved to have dealt to ... those poxy fruit bats and that bast**d storm bird { koel } .

The latter used to drive me crazy with its poxy call at 2 am in the morning .

Yep bats are a pain in the a…. Their droppings will take the paint off your car if left for a few days plus they can carry a virus which will kill you. Birds, no they are okay. But for all the crocs and shark stories more people die up here from: Melioidosis. It’s a disease in the soil which comes to the surface when water level’s rise in the wet. Fatal in 20% of cases and usually around Townsville & Cairns 10-15 people die ever year.

[ 390899 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9769, 9770, 9771, 9772, 9773