Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 290 guests

Post #536801  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:56 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
When we open the book on great midfielders it has many pages! The reason I love Vieira so much is that he came to us as an unknown and immediately took the team to a higher level. Remarkable really because he was just a young guy, yet his on-field leadership was evident straightaway. His debut, under lights at Highbury, was thrilling - the way he glided past opponents drawing comparison with Rocky at his best - smiles on every Arsenal face. Then he went from strength to strength - needed no settling in period, just a duck to water. Energy and committment even beyond Talbot - and as aggressive as Storey. He could be delicate too - how many times did we see that clever move in the centre circle where he would fool his marker and set up an attack? And a hell of a shot - the one off the bar against United to beat Schmeichel was wonderful.

Glad you mentioned Vieira’s debut. Sheffield Wednesday wasn’t it? Did you see Brady’s against Birmingham? The two best debuts I’ve seen.

Post #536802  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 pm 

DHD wrote:
The exception to that rule was Maradona whom I saw live just once; that was enough.

Completely agree. Should have mentioned Maradona myself. The single greatest player I’ve seen.

Post #536803  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:16 pm 

One thing I think has to be mentioned when comparing players from different eras, as we have done with Brady and Fabregas, is the pitch quality. Players these days basically play on grass billiard tables. Highbury was often like a trench at the Somme when Brady and Hudson played on it. And there were worse than Highbury too.

Also, defenders now get booked for breathing heavily within three feet of an opponent. In the old days a defender could stab an opponent to death without even getting a talking to by the ref.

Playing football in modern times is way easier than it used to be in Brady and Hudson’s era.

Post #536804  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Playing football in modern times is way easier than it used to be in Brady and Hudson’s era.

Fair enough on the poor quality pitches and the homicidal defenders Bern, but the speed and intensity of the modern game more than balances that out. Cesc never enjoyed anything like the time and space given to Brady and Hudson. Whenever you see those games from the '70s and '80s, there's hardly any closing down and no pressing whatever.

I have no doubt Cesc would've shone back then. I'd be less confident that Brady and Hudson would cope with a Citeh-style press.

Post #536805  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:27 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Fair enough on the poor quality pitches and the homicidal defenders Bern, but the speed and intensity of the modern game more than balances that out. Cesc never enjoyed anything like the time and space given to Brady and Hudson. Whenever you see those games from the '70s and '80s, there's hardly any closing down and no pressing whatever.

I have no doubt Cesc would've shone back then. I'd be less confident that Brady and Hudson would cope with a Citeh-style press.

This is literally the point I was about to make. Henry and Walcott could run a 100metres in 11 seconds. Not even 2 full seconds slower than linford Christie’s best 100 metres.

Aubameyang was clocked at the first 30 metres or something faster than Usain Bolt did in a major race. Then bellerin recorded himself doing likewise.

Remember Henry’s goal v spurs. Literally ate up the whole Highbury pitch in a matter of seconds.

You are talking about physical specimens recruited from all over the world who are freaks of nature that just happen to be able to also control a ball as well.

Also diet. Chippy was called chippy for a reason and it wasn’t because of his love of broccoli

Post #536806  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The speed and intensity Brady and Hudson would have easily adapted to, they were that skilful they could not have shone in the modern game. I would say far better than Fabregas would have done on the pitches back then.

Top Gun mentioned Brady liking chips. I have no doubt the modern dietary regimes at top football clubs would have ensured that wouldn’t have been a problem in the modern game. Hudson was an alcoholic. Perhaps modern dietary regimes would have kept him off it?

Post #536807  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:40 pm 

I think AW was one of (if not) the first to break the accepted talent development strategy of spotting footballing talent and then getting them fit. Under AW the policy mutated to spotting the athletic talent and then honing their footballing skills. That’s a simplification but you see where I’m going.

Brady was a product of the old school development strategy. I watched him from his first games in the reserves and I sincerely believe he had the talent to survive in any era, but in purely physical terms, I think he, as he was then, would struggle today. All those players would.

This is the nonsense of comparing players of different eras.

Post #536808  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
I think AW was one of (if not) the first to break the accepted talent development strategy of spotting footballing talent and then getting them fit. Under AW the policy mutated to spotting the athletic talent and then honing their footballing skills. That’s a simplification but you see where I’m going.

Brady was a product of the old school development strategy. I watched him from his first games in the reserves and I sincerely believe he had the talent to survive in any era, but in purely physical terms, I think he, as he was then, would struggle today. All those players would.

Hi DHD. The thing is with modern dietary and fitness regimes, Brady would shine today despite liking chips. Chips wouldn’t have been his main foodstuff now, I’m sure of that. Similar in principle, Hudson was a confirmed alcoholic long before he joined Arsenal. I hope, and expect, his moves towards alcoholism would have been stopped long before he got there, at a modern top club. Even on the pitches back then, they had the ability to show their skill. Stick Fabregas on the 1970s mud heap that Highbury was in the winter and I suspect he’d find it harder to adapt than Brady and Hudson would now.

But I agree, it’s so difficult to compare players from different eras. That’s one of the reasons I hate the expression best player of all time. As well as the obvious difference in playing styles and fitness levels, how can any of us who didn’t see Alex James say how Brady and Fabregas compared to him?

Regarding alcoholic players, everyone know about Greaves, Best, Hudson and MacDonald in the 60s and 70s. More recently there’s been Gascoigne, Adams, Sansom and Merson who were well known. But they were still in the 80s and 90s, up to thirty years ago. Can anyone think of a top modern footballer who is a known alcoholic now? I genuinely think top clubs would sort it out better now than what happened in the past.

Post #536809  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm 

A story throwing doubt on the likelihood of Arsenal signing Jesus. Might be clickbait, as may the stories that we’ll sign him. I’ve seen links to so many players that I’ve lost count. My advice is wait until the end of the transfer window before assessing the squad. In my view that’s better than reacting to clickbait, 99% of which I reckon is nonsense.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #536810  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Regarding alcoholic players, everyone know about Greaves, Best, Hudson and MacDonald in the 60s and 70s. More recently there’s been Gascoigne, Adams, Sansom and Merson who were well known. But they were still in the 80s and 90s, up to thirty years ago. Can anyone think of a top modern footballer who is a known alcoholic now? I genuinely think top clubs would sort it out better now than what happened in the past.

Years back I met someone who had a stint in the priory rehab centre and whilst he was in he said an Arsenal player was in receiving treatment also for a problem relating to alcohol abuse.

I won’t name the player as it’s a totally unsubstantiated rumour and he could have got the players name wrong or something but the player is the last person you’d expect and his playing time crossed the Highbury emirates cross over period so prime wenger days.

I bet there’s a few but we don’t hear about it. That said I think the days of a player like Greavsie literally turning up to play for Barnet pissed are long gone.

Post #536811  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Years back I met someone who had a stint in the priory rehab centre and whilst he was in he said an Arsenal player was in receiving treatment also for a problem relating to alcohol abuse.

I won’t name the player as it’s a totally unsubstantiated rumour and he could have got the players name wrong or something but the player is the last person you’d expect and his playing time crossed the Highbury emirates cross over period so prime wenger days.

I bet there’s a few but we don’t hear about it. That said I think the days of a player like Greavsie literally turning up to play for Barnet pissed are long gone.

Interesting. I guess you must be right and it does still happen. Though I do reckon it must be dealt with more effectively now. Your anonymous player in the stadium move era would have been around about sixteen years ago.

Just looked up our squad for the 2006/07 season, the first year at the Emirates. The player you mention without naming must presumably be one of them. It was Lehmann, Diaby, Cole, Fabregas, Toure, Senderos, Rosicky, Ljungberg, Reyes, van Persie, Lauren, Hleb, Henry, Flamini, Song, Cygan, Gilberto, Djourou, Poom, Clichy, Almunia, Adebayor, Eboue, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Walcott.

The guess is, which one?

Post #536812  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Interesting. I guess you must be right and it does still happen. Though I do reckon it must be dealt with more effectively now. Your anonymous player in the stadium move era would have been around about sixteen years ago.

Just looked up our squad for the 2006/07 season, the first year at the Emirates. The player you mention without naming must presumably be one of them. It was Lehmann, Diaby, Cole, Fabregas, Toure, Senderos, Rosicky, Ljungberg, Reyes, van Persie, Lauren, Hleb, Henry, Flamini, Song, Cygan, Gilberto, Djourou, Poom, Clichy, Almunia, Adebayor, Eboue, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Walcott.

The guess is, which one?

My guess is Rosicky. Or possibly Jens.

Post #536813  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:23 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The guess is, which one?

My guess is Rosicky. Or possibly Jens.

Interesting idea. There was a rumour about Rosicky being a crack cocaine addict.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/threads ... ct.199683/

Post #536814  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:52 am 

Ryanair--Imagine flying all the way from SA to Britain, and then being told you cannot go further because you can't fill in a form in Afrikaans. What the hell is that? What is wrong with them?

Post #536815  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
Glad you mentioned Vieira’s debut. Sheffield Wednesday wasn’t it? Did you see Brady’s against Birmingham? The two best debuts I’ve seen.
Yes, The Owls at night - we were looking ordinary until that young man came on as a sub and changed it all. No, I didn't see Brady's debut or that much of him live throughout his career. For most of the 70s and 80s my priorities didn't include going to football, so I saw very little of an obviously great Arsenal midfielder. I know it is hard comparing players from different eras but surely Brady would have been a star anytime?

Post #536816  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:21 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yes, The Owls at night - we were looking ordinary until that young man came on as a sub and changed it all. No, I didn't see Brady's debut or that much of him live throughout his career. For most of the 70s and 80s my priorities didn't include going to football, so I saw very little of an obviously great Arsenal midfielder. I know it is hard comparing players from different eras but surely Brady would have been a star anytime?

Yeah, of course Brady would. The main reason for the elevation of Fabregas’ status above his seems to be Brady, as with all players, not being fit enough in those days to handle the pressing game often used now.

In my view it is entirely logical to accept Brady would be a damn site fitter with a better diet had he played in the time of Fabregas, with the changes in training regimes that occurred across all clubs, than it is to accept Fabregas shining to the same extent as Brady on the mud heaps that were passed off as pitches in those days.

Let me clarify that I do accept Fabregas would have been a very fine player back then, even with the pitches and leg breakers teams had. But I’m sorry, I just cannot consider Fabregas the equal of Brady.

Mind you, what this debate has done is highlight the big problems in comparing players from different eras.

Post #536817  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:26 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I love the fact that there are extended highlights of Vieira's debut on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyRTX60BQJU

Post #536818  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:44 am 

Yet more on the Saka rumours.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #536819  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:19 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
I love the fact that there are extended highlights of Vieira's debut on YouTube:
Thanks for posting that. How good to have a commentator who didn't scream and shout.

Post #536820  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:38 am 

https://www.fr12.nl/nieuws/arsenal-en-feyenoord-bespreken-samenwerking

Dutch media reporting both clubs aim to form a 'friendly relationship' and work together as much as possible. Music to my ears!

Post #536821  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:56 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I loved the bit where Des Walker took out Wrighty at knee level and then proceeded to protest that it was a dive.

Post #536822  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:59 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

I loved the bit where Des Walker took out Wrighty at knee level and then proceeded to protest that it was a dive.

...and despite that leg-breaker of a challenge, Ian Wright barely went down.

Post #536823  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:04 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Thanks for this McQ.

Interesting that Vieira took a while to get into the game. He started quite shakily but grew visibly in the second half. He finished as a different player.

Post #536824  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:

There was a rumour about Rosicky being a crack cocaine addict.

I heard that from a few sources.

Post #536825  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:27 pm 

On Paddy's debut this is worth a read.

http://arseweb.com/96-97/reports/160996.html

Post #536826  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
On Paddy's debut this is worth a read.

http://arseweb.com/96-97/reports/160996.html

We could do with one of those now :laughing7:

Vieira 8.0 Perhaps a bit over the top, but my choice for man of the
match, if only for the joy of watching a midfielder who
can pass and is comfortable on the ball.

Post #536827  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:46 pm 

Liverpool close to a deal with Darwin Nunez, £68m fee with £17m add ons. Mané surely moves on this summer and Salah could follow him next year.

I wrote a few times about Liverpool’s ageing squad but they are putting in place the younger replacements steadily. Van Dijk is the main guy they struggle without

Post #536828  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:02 am 

Good luck Lacazette

Post #536829  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:35 am 

I read some comment by a gooner no doubt that 15 of Harry Kane's international goals came from the spot. Not sure if that is considered too many or not and puts the total number in a more accurate context.

Post #536830  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:38 am 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool close to a deal with Darwin Nunez, £68m fee with £17m add ons. Mané surely moves on this summer and Salah could follow him next year.

I wrote a few times about Liverpool’s ageing squad but they are putting in place the younger replacements steadily. Van Dijk is the main guy they struggle without

Hi Rich. If Arsenal were to sign one of Darwin or Jesus and no other forward, who would you choose? If it’s Jesus you must think we have strengthened our team more than Liverpool. If it’s Darwin you presumably feel they have strengthened their side more than us. I’m not talking of squad strength here, as Jesus is hopefully a bigger upgrade on Lacazette than Darwin is of Mané.

The relevance of this question is of course dependent on Arsenal getting Jesus, which according to the Mirror is now in doubt. The link below is also negative about our hopes of keeping Saka.

Post #536831  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich. If Arsenal were to sign one of Darwin or Jesus and no other forward, who would you choose? If it’s Jesus you must think we have strengthened our team more than Liverpool. If it’s Darwin you presumably feel they have strengthened their side more than us. I’m not talking of squad strength here, as Jesus is hopefully a bigger upgrade on Lacazette than Darwin is of Mané.

The relevance of this question is of course dependent on Arsenal getting Jesus, which according to the Mirror is now in doubt. The link below is also negative about our hopes of keeping Saka.

Hi Bernard, It is a good question. for me if we were only signing one forward this summer I'd take Darwin Nunes over Jesus - even with the risk of not being 'Prem ready' as I think he is more the type of CF we need.

I think Jesus could/would be a good signing but going in to the season with only Jesus, Nketiah (not certain) and Martinelli as viable striker options seems a bit light and a set of strikers who are all quite similar.
For my money, and to really give us a balanced forward line I'd be looking at a taller strong striker (Scamacca, Abraham, Osimhen) to play as the No.9, I'd also have Jesus who can play as the No.9/false 9 in some games but can also play wide right when Saka doesn't play (or Saka plays wide left)......I'm assuming Pépé leaves. I don't know how ready this lad from brazil we're supposedly signing is but it seems more likely he'd go on loan.

If we had a collection of the following players for the front 4 positions we'd look an awful lot stronger in attack next year:
Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Ødegaard, Saka, Nketiah, Jesus, Scammaca - as the cheapest tall striker of the 3 I listed

Back that up with a Tielemans and full back cover and I'd say that is a pretty decent window

Post #536832  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm 

Getting whatever signings we are going to make done before the start of the season would be a big plus.

We can’t afford to wait, as we always do, until the season is well underway.

Post #536833  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:33 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Getting whatever signings we are going to make done before the start of the season would be a big plus.

For some reason I can’t see Gabriel Jesus ending up at our place. Feels like there’s too much attention in him

That said if the press reports are true and we’ve offered 190k a week that would be too much for many.

Post #536834  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

Its the same old same old........unfortunately, we are probably not at the top of the queue for most of our main targets, especially without CL again, so we are left to wait and see what's left on the table when the more monied and/or attractive clubs have finished dining.

I used to get excited by transfer rumours in years gone by but now I have learned to just take them with a pinch of salt until more concrete links emerge.

We are a massive club worldwide but we just don't have the clout in the transfer market anymore, infact you might argue that we've never really dined at the top table, even under Wenger it was only his knowledge of the french market and his network of contacts that gave us a bit of an edge in recruiting a few unpolished diamonds and broken players with a point left to prove.

Take the striker situation, a lot of clubs are looking for a no 9 to supply them with the goals they need but there is not an unlimited supply of top or even emerging strikers available and we are some way down the queue for the best ones.

We have to outsmart the market, as Arteta has said numerous times. That means buying young and developing them. It remains to be seen just how smart our scouts and Edu can be in this market. It's tough, hence our move for Vlahovic in Jan because we knew we'd have no chance in the summer.

Post #536835  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:36 pm 

It’s also worth pointing out the absurd hysteria about our signings last year. People saying we’d wasted our money on overpriced homegrown rubbish etc

Can’t really judge until all business is concluded and a real picture is formed

Post #536836  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:26 pm 

Foden wins PFA young play of the year, 2 fewer goals and 2 fewer assists than Saka this year. I suppose it depends whether you give weighting one way or the other to a star player in a weaker team or a cog in a stronger team that won the league.

The 2 big omissions from the team of the season seem to be Rodri should be in instead of Thiago and Son certainly deserves a place, in front of either Mané or Ronaldo

Post #536837  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
Foden wins PFA young play of the year, 2 fewer goals and 2 fewer assists than Saka this year. I suppose it depends whether you give weighting one way or the other to a star player in a weaker team or a cog in a stronger team that won the league.

Sadly, I think that all suspect what’s going on here.

Post #536838  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
For some reason I can’t see Gabriel Jesus ending up at our place. Feels like there’s too much attention in him

That said if the press reports are true and we’ve offered 190k a week that would be too much for many.

Must admit I’m beginning to think the same. The whole thing sounds a bit like clickbait to me. Initially Jesus is supposedly attracted by the Arsenal project. Then allegedly Real Madrid are interested and suddenly they’re his preferred destination. Subsequently he apparently wants to join a club in the Champions League which Arsenal aren’t but, what a coincidence, Tottenham are now rumoured to want him and they are in the Champions League. Clickbait has the reputation of putting positive and negative slants to whatever the story is to get fans reading it. That’s what it looks like to me.

Post #536839  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 pm 

ARSENAL have been dealt a blow after losing top academy bosses Kevin Betsy and Dan Micciche to Crawley Town.

On the move, Betsy told Crawley's website: "I am joining a club that has a great history that we should no doubt embrace, and we are also looking at an exciting new beginning on many levels both on and off the pitch.

Wow. He was tempted by a club with a ‘great history’. Truly bizarre.

Post #536840  Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:45 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
ARSENAL have been dealt a blow after losing top academy bosses Kevin Betsy and Dan Micciche to Crawley Town.

On the move, Betsy told Crawley's website: "I am joining a club that has a great history that we should no doubt embrace, and we are also looking at an exciting new beginning on many levels both on and off the pitch.

Wow. He was tempted by a club with a ‘great history’. Truly bizarre.

When thinking of the great clubs in European football, one’s mind immediately springs to the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Crawley Town.

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13418, 13419, 13420, 13421, 13422, 13423, 13424 ... 14021  Next