Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 279 guests

Post #531001  Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The Saka leaving rumours show no sign of stopping. Outstanding young players may usually want to play at the highest level and win trophies. Regarding the play at the highest level factor, I think it could be critical to finish in the top four to get into the Champions League. Hopefully that will make him extending his contract more likely.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

And assuming he will not go to another London club like Chelsea so that leaves Manchester clubs : United are a basket case, so that leaves City. They could be our problem. Maybe he could consider overseas clubs but they are all in financial trouble.

Not sure why you think he wouldn’t go to Chelsea. Cole did and he was an Arsenal fan. Saka wasn’t. Indeed he’s from Ealing which is predominantly a Chelsea area, although I believe he actually supported Newcastle.

Post #531002  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
And assuming he will not go to another London club like Chelsea so that leaves Manchester clubs : United are a basket case, so that leaves City. They could be our problem. Maybe he could consider overseas clubs but they are all in financial trouble.

Not sure why you think he wouldn’t go to Chelsea. Cole did and he was an Arsenal fan. Saka wasn’t. Indeed he’s from Ealing which is predominantly a Chelsea area, although I believe he actually supported Newcastle.

I am not sure he would want the grief that follows from moving to another London club. But it is not impossible I admit.

Post #531003  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:57 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I am not sure he would want the grief that follows from moving to another London club. But it is not impossible I admit.

I honestly don’t think it’s that big an issue. Players have played for not only Arsenal and Chelsea, but Arsenal and Tottenham, as well as Chelsea and Tottenham. Just like players have played for both Manchester clubs, both of Liverpool and Everton, and even both of Rangers and Celtic.

Post #531004  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:01 am 

Overmars sent dick pics en was 'overzealous' in his approach to women. Had been going on for years and apparently the club knew.

Post #531005  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Lots of paper talk about Gnabry entering the final 18 months of his deal and struggling to reach an agreement with Bayern on an extension. If I had to put money on it I'd say he eventually extends with Bayern. Would love to have him back with us if we could.

Would be nice but don't think it will happen. He's 27 this year and would likely command huge wages so think if anything he'll be off to Real, Barca or maybe Newcastle / Man City / Chelsea who could afford his wage demands.

Post #531006  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Overmars sent dick pics en was 'overzealous' in his approach to women. Had been going on for years and apparently the club knew.

Dick pics AND overzealous. :laughing7:

Post #531007  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:31 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If the best taker goes first, if worse penalty takers after him miss then it may still not go to the last kick. I think differently to you and approve of the best being left to the fifth. If others miss before him, then there’s not much that would change.

Indeed, in saying this I’m fast reaching the conclusion that in many shoot outs it may not make any difference regardless whether the best goes first or fifth. The example that started the debate off, Egypt losing yesterday leaving Salah until last, can be balanced by the point that the same principle worked for Senegal with Mané being left until last.

As I say, I’m coming round to thinking it may often not make much, if any, relevance to the outcome.

It’s an interesting debate (with the lack of much arsenal football on at the moment). I did read a study that was done where they looked at the success rate of penalty takers in shootouts where the kick was to win the shootout vs to ‘not lose’ the shootout and unsurprisingly those players taking penalties to win had a huge % success rate in comparison to those taking a penalty to just stay in the shootout. This study was done across years and years of shootouts so had no need to account for ability of the taker. That study would certainly support the theory to always chose to go first if you win the toss but it would also (I think) support the theory to have your better players take the earlier penalties so that you are more likely to be ahead in the shootout by the time crucial kicks come this taking more pressure off your taker as they’d be more likely to be in a position to shooting to win.

I just googled it a bit and there is also a theory that the two most important penalties in a shootout are the 1st and 4th….

But isn't that a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy because the last player to miss is always the one kicking to 'not lose'?

Also if the better goal kickers go first then the weaker ones coming later would surely feel more pressure knowing that one miss could be the end of it, whereas if you put a weaker kicker first then they may feel marginally less pressure knowing that there is still time to rescue the shootout if they miss?

Post #531008  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 am 

grantyboy wrote:
But isn't that a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy because the last player to miss is always the one kicking to 'not lose'?

Also if the better goal kickers go first then the weaker ones coming later would surely feel more pressure knowing that one miss could be the end of it, whereas if you put a weaker kicker first then they may feel marginally less pressure knowing that there is still time to rescue the shootout if they miss?

In terms of it being self fulfilling there are players who take ‘not to lose’ penalties who manage to score them so their numbers go in to the success stat for that kind of penalty.
I suppose in terms of your second paragraph you can sway the argument which way you want. I’d say the weaker penalty takers are more likely to be taking a ‘kick to win’ if they go later, therefore feel less pressure.

I’d still come back to the point that 7 out of 10 penalty shoot outs don’t make it to the 5th taker so if you do want your best penalty taker on a pressure penalty at least put them 4th rather than 5th

Post #531009  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:55 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:

So that’s where Succession got its Roman Roy storyline from in the latest series.

Post #531010  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:17 am 

I think grantyboy has made some good points, as of course did Rich. But the longer the debate goes on, the less convinced I become that it’s a vital question. As I have said, leaving Salah until last didn’t work for Egypt. But leaving Mané till last did work for Senegal.

I still remember the Valencia Cup Winners Cup final in 1980. Both teams had their usual penalty taker go first, and ironically both missed. Mario Kempes for Valencia, Liam Brady for Arsenal. But Valencia eventually won the cup because whoever took their last one scored and Graham Rix, who took Arsenal’s last one and I don’t recall him ever taking another for the club, missed his. So similar but in reverse to the Senegal Egypt final when leaving the best taker till last worked for one but not the other, that day having your usual taker go first worked for Valencia but didn’t work for Arsenal. But as Kempes and Brady both missed, the real issue was who kept their nerve between the non-usual takers. Sadly Rix didn’t.

For me the real issue is not if the best taker goes first or last, but which side goes first as that puts even more pressure on the takers going second. Also, what end of the pitch the penalties are taken must be an issue. But in the 2005 FA Cup final between Arsenal and Manchester United, Manchester United went first and the shoot out was the Manchester United fans’ end of the ground. So even going first and in front of your own fans may not work, as Arsenal won.

Post #531011  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

So that’s where Succession got its Roman Roy storyline from in the latest series.

That was brilliant and very funny

Post #531012  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:09 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:

I retract my earlier statement. He rightly deserves to get judged :laughing7:

Imagine being that weird you are willing to risk your 1M+ year salary by sending pictures of your Johnson to someone. I know some people have kinks but I just can’t get my head round that.

Bloke was the best winger I’ve ever seen. He was a killer. Wot a div

Post #531013  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:32 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:

Never understood why Guys do that b%*&s%*^.
Its cringeworthy to think that that is going to appeal to a decent woman with morals ........or somehow make a woman think the look of your manhood is going to have her dropping everything for you.
Ok maybe the minority of women get off on that but surely for the majority it's a massive no no

Post #531014  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 pm 

Cant wait till Thursday.
Seems like ages since we played.
Apart from Tomiyasu who worryingly we have heard nothing about we should be full strength.
Plenty of rest we should be raring to go.
3 points will be absoloutely massive.
West Ham and Utd have relatively easy games.
Lets hope Watford and Burnley fighting for their lives can pinch something.

Post #531015  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:55 pm 

david.d wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Its cringeworthy to think that that is going to appeal to a decent woman with morals ........or somehow make a woman think the look of your manhood is going to have her dropping everything for you.
Ok maybe the minority of women get off on that but surely for the majority it's a massive no no

Agree 100%. Never understood the motivation.

Post #531016  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:16 pm 

Hoping Burnley can do us a favor tonight. Wolves is a must win. At this stage in the season, we have to go on a run.

Post #531017  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:22 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

My Ex GF used to like receiving dick pics.

Sadly, not from me though.

Post #531018  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm 

warrior wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

My Ex GF used to like receiving dick pics.

Sadly, not from me though.

That’s worth a smiley.

Post #531019  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:04 pm 

david.d wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Each to their own and all that but if a bird was asking me for one it would be definitely time to give her the P45 :laughing7: I’m genuinely not sure that’s a keeper

however a mate of mine was telling me he did on the request of a bird who asked and she reciprocated and he’d also done it before. I mean ffs I’m open to new ideas and all that but no way taking pictures of my Hampton wick.

Get the impression it’s more of a thing the women ask rather than fellas.

Maybe the club could run an “ask me anything” session on twitter with Marc Overmars so we can all understand. Get Artetas thoughts on it too. It’s a shame Ken Friar isn’t about as he’d run such things in the past

Post #531020  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:13 pm 

Not even sure where to start with this one. Horrible and stupid all rolled into one.

Loved and cherished? Yeah right.
I’m deeply sorry………..(that I got caught thru my equally horrible and stupid brother)

https://www.skysports.com/share/12535891

Post #531021  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

Each to their own and all that but if a bird was asking me for one it would be definitely time to give her the P45 :laughing7: I’m genuinely not sure that’s a keeper

however a mate of mine was telling me he did on the request of a bird who asked and she reciprocated and he’d also done it before. I mean ffs I’m open to new ideas and all that but no way taking pictures of my Hampton wick.

Maybe the club could run an “ask me anything” session on twitter with Marc Overmars so we can all understand. Get Artetas thoughts on it too. It’s a shame Ken Friar isn’t about as he’d run such things in the past

A friend of mine’s daughter had a relationship with a bloke from the north east, so they weren’t able to see each other as regularly as they wanted. My friend told me his wife found out that their daughter and her north east boyfriend both sent each other such pictures of themselves.

It obviously does happen, and I suspect more frequently than many of us realise.

Post #531022  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:53 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Not even sure where to start with this one. Horrible and stupid all rolled into one.

I’m deeply sorry………..(that I got caught thru my equally horrible and stupid brother)

I’ve never had a pet so can’t be called an animal lover. But however strangely and unacceptably we think Overmars has behaved, Zouma’s behaviour is arguably far more weird.

Post #531023  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

What an absolutely low life thing to do to an animal, it beggars belief.
Personally I'd give him 6 weeks or so inside, and make sure he got put in a cell with a few cat lovers.

Post #531024  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Idiot :36angers:

Post #531025  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

I think if overmars gets his head down for a year or so on low profile he will be offered a job again

Post #531026  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:05 pm 

Hampton wick
Hilarious!

Post #531027  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I’ve never had a pet so can’t be called an animal lover. But however strangely and unacceptably we think Overmars has behaved, Zouma’s behaviour is arguably far more weird.

He may be one for your future interests. Serial killers are often very cruel to animals and get off on killing them particularly when they are young.

Post #531028  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:57 pm 

Burnley down 1-0 at the half, a different side came out in the 2nd half. Deserved 1-1 draw vs Man Utd in pouring rain (when is it never raining in England? lol). West Ham the nights big winner as far as the table.

Post #531029  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:03 pm 

United drop points again

If we can just compose ourselves and pull some results together we could find that we finish the season in a very positive league position. 3 points this week would be such a massive result.

Post #531030  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 pm 

david.d wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think if overmars gets his head down for a year or so on low profile he will be offered a job again

I can’t see it mate. This is a new era the era of “me too”. This stuff ends careers now.

Kurt zoumas cat has probably already got an interview lined up with Oprah Winfrey

Post #531031  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 pm 

Find the people moaning that West Ham didn’t drop zouma a bit much.

It’s a cat, he made a mistake. Let the RSPCA deal with it. Let him take the fine and get his animals taken off him. Maybe even fine him. Not Sure this is greenwood type stuff,

Post #531032  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...Bloke was the best winger I’ve ever seen. He was a killer. Wot a div
Yes, a thrilling winger, who if he had a yard on a defender was rarely caught. Could finish and was brave too. Of Arsenal wingers he and Geordie are my favourites.

Post #531033  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Find the people moaning that West Ham didn’t drop zouma a bit much. It’s a cat, he made a mistake. Let the RSPCA deal with it. Let him take the fine and get his animals taken off him. Maybe even fine him. Not Sure this is greenwood type stuff,
I see where you're coming from. Man who kicks a ball for a living didn't realise he was kicking a cat in front of his young child. Quite acceptable by current standards. Apparently his agent is putting it all down to Keir Starmer not banging up Savile...

Post #531034  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:42 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Find the people moaning that West Ham didn’t drop zouma a bit much. It’s a cat, he made a mistake. Let the RSPCA deal with it. Let him take the fine and get his animals taken off him. Maybe even fine him. Not Sure this is greenwood type stuff,
I see where you're coming from. Man who kicks a ball for a living didn't realise he was kicking a cat in front of his young child. Quite acceptable by current standards. Apparently his agent is putting it all down to Keir Starmer not banging up Savile...

I didn’t really say it was acceptable did I. Just think moyes was right with his comments there should be consequences just not on the pitch.

Post #531035  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I think grantyboy has made some good points, as of course did Rich. But the longer the debate goes on, the less convinced I become that it’s a vital question. As I have said, leaving Salah until last didn’t work for Egypt. But leaving Mané till last did work

Hi Bernard, I’m happy with that. One of the things I’ve always liked about this forum is the difference in opinion but for it to (hopefully) always be discussed amicably, to see others point of view but still be allowed to push your opinion…..and also when that discussion dies out then let’s move on to something else rather than flogging it to death. The discussion only ever really came up through the lack of Arsenal games. On to Thursday and a huge game v Wolves!

Post #531036  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

It’s a cat, he made a mistake. Let the RSPCA deal with it. Let him take the fine and get his animals taken off him. Maybe even fine him. Not Sure this is greenwood type stuff,

Of course they should have dropped him, it was sickening. This was the moment for West Ham to stand up and make a stance against animal cruelty, show their impressionable fans, many of whom have pets, that this kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable from anyone, and particularly from a West Ham player.

Instead West Ham showed a complete lack of class and a lack of understanding of the public mood.

Frankly, I am amazed the dressing room allowed it.

Post #531037  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:48 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Of course they should have dropped him, it was sickening. This was the moment for West Ham to stand up and make a stance against animal cruelty, show their impressionable fans, many of whom have pets, that this kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable from anyone, and particularly from a West Ham player.

Instead West Ham showed a complete lack of class and a lack of understanding of the public mood.

Frankly, I am amazed the dressing room allowed it.

It’s a cat. I doubt his team mates give a *%^@. Let the RSPCA deal with it that’s what they are there for. There should be consequences and he’s rightly getting slated. This isn’t Michael Vick

Post #531038  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I didn’t really say it was acceptable did I. Just think moyes was right with his comments there should be consequences just not on the pitch.

He should be at least dropped for one match just to show cause.

Post #531039  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think grantyboy has made some good points, as of course did Rich. But the longer the debate goes on, the less convinced I become that it’s a vital question. As I have said, leaving Salah until last didn’t work for Egypt. But leaving Mané till last did work

Hi Bernard, I’m happy with that. One of the things I’ve always liked about this forum is the difference in opinion but for it to (hopefully) always be discussed amicably, to see others point of view but still be allowed to push your opinion…..and also when that discussion dies out then let’s move on to something else rather than flogging it to death. The discussion only ever really came up through the lack of Arsenal games. On to Thursday and a huge game v Wolves!

Rich, I am sure you will get your wish for there to be differences of opinions over the next 17 games. The jury is still out on whether they will be amicable.

Post #531040  Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:55 am 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He should be at least dropped for one match just to show cause.

Possibly 1 game but really not much in it.

Ronaldo settled on a rape case and plays every week to acclaim and kids up and down the country are doing that siuuu shouty thing. Don’t see the moral stance there.

I bet we have players in our squad who forgot to feed their goldfish. Drop em. We should start checking this

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13273, 13274, 13275, 13276, 13277, 13278, 13279 ... 14021  Next